BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Discussions > M2 or C7 Vette or GT350 or SS 1LE

02-21-2020, 10:36 PM   #1
MiamiM235iEstorilBlue
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 m235i

M2 or C7 Vette or GT350 or SS 1LE

Anyone driven all of these, some of these?

I know its a weird list, perhaps. But, I literally cross-shopped all of these prior to picking up my M2.

I only got to drive the C7, M2 and SS (not 1LE).

I loved the C7's ferocity and engine sound, felt like a rocket. Ultimately, poor visibility, cheapo interior and 2 seats were dealbreakers. But, I still think of just how fast and crazy and exciting it was. Surprisingly soft and comfy ride too. Visibility was not great, surprised magazines only pick on the Camaro, though it is better than that car.

Drove the SS right after the C7 and was flat out disappointed. They didnt have a 1LE pkg for me to try, unfortinately. Not certain how big a difference it makes. The SS felt massive, the visibility issues are real, and it simply felt like a boat to me. I feel like with just a few tweaks, it could be the ultimate performance bargain though. But, GM hardly does things right. Anyone know if the 1LE transforms this car like people say?

No test drives for GT350. Let me start it though and it sounded like it was about to shatter the dealership glass. Wow, what an engine note. Car is massive and surprisingly, visibility only marginally better than Camaro. Again, surprised that only the Camaro gets picked on. Anyone driven one of these (non R's)? Are they practical as DD's?

Quick note on why I went M2. It felt the most hardcore & track ready of them all (again, didnt drive GT350) yet offered 4 seats and a big trunk. Also, I love a great DCT. It also just seemed better made with a higher quality feel to it. I still often wonder about that C7 though. Maybe in Grand Sport trim it'd be perfect. It was just so ferocious and I loved the V8 revving to redline.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2020, 10:51 PM   #2
Conissah
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3

Different strokes for different folks.

I've driven many Camaros and Mustangs, and one C7, but not extended or hard, so it's not a fair comparison. The build quality of American cars is always subpar. I can't comment on the 1LE package on the Camaro, but its mainly just handling and braking stuff, and I wouldn't call that "transforming" unless you're on a track or have some amazing roads near you. Visibility is horrible in all 3, Mustang, Camaro, and C7, with the Camaro being the worst IMO. The newer mustangs have such long hoods, it's a super weird experience, and not one I enjoyed.

I was cross shopping the GT350 and the M2, I wasn't even considering a C7 at all, but a 2SS 1LE 2020 Camaro was also a contender, especially because I get a discount through my job. The poor quality and oil consumption of the GT350 pretty much eliminated it for me. Also, the fact that it's "still a Mustang" didn't bode well for it.

The quality of the 3 cars is also why they're considered such a great value, and that can't be disputed. All 3 of those American cars are huge bang for your buck, which is the only downfall of the M2, it's price point. Obviously I ended up paying it, as I have an M2C, but it was hard (and still is) hard to stomach. The number of manual fun sports cars being sold is dropping, and I'd rather see any of the 4 cars mentioned over the egg-shaped shitty econoboxes that are in the market.

As much as I love my M2, I respect the others. No car is an end all be all, it's ALL based off emotions. Whatever makes you smile behind the wheel, and makes your beat faster, is the one you should chose.

Congrats on the purchase, and welcome!
Appreciate 1
      02-21-2020, 11:13 PM   #3
MiamiM235iEstorilBlue
Private First Class
Rep

Thanks for sharing, was a fun read!

I even thought about a Golf R but never managed to drive one.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2020, 11:16 PM   #4
Conissah
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiM235iEstorilBlue View Post
Thanks for sharing, was a fun read!

I even thought about a Golf R but never managed to drive one.
I contemplated an RS3, since the main focus of the car was a fun street car with occasional AutoX or track days, but no manual ruined it for me. Same the new Supra, while it's an overall good car, the front end styling, and lack of manual offering eliminated it as well.
Appreciate 1
      02-21-2020, 11:24 PM   #5
MiamiM235iEstorilBlue
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conissah View Post
I contemplated an RS3, since the main focus of the car was a fun street car with occasional AutoX or track days, but no manual ruined it for me. Same the new Supra, while it's an overall good car, the front end styling, and lack of manual offering eliminated it as well.
RS3 seems very cool. Would love to drive one. Same for the Supra, seems to be a perfect daily, per the articles I've read. But many write that the suspension isn't well sorted, something Toyota reportedly addressed with the 2021.

The new C8 Corvette will also likely throw a wrench in these types of cross-shopping comparisons. Its just impossible to ignore its performance to price ratio at $65k with the Z51 pkg.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2020, 01:54 AM   #6
5.M0NSTER
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Camaro SS 1LE

Welcome to the forums.

The point about M2 being most track ready is why I ended up with one also. But I don't have a GT350 or Camaro option in Europe. So out of the cars I was comparing the M2 with (RS5, C63 and M3/4) it was the best bang for the buck for my use case.

That said, I think the 1LE and GT350 are even more track ready from the showroom floor. I've seen a guy put down great lap times at Mid-Ohio in a 2016 GT350 on factory brake pads. Something I wouldn't dare try in a regular Mustang. But both cars come with coolers for trans, differential, and beefed up engine cooling. They are also easy to add brake cooling to. You can beat on that V8 all day and it won't overheat. Also there is MASSIVE aftermarket support for both (specially the Mustang) which allows you to make each car your own and customize cosmetic and functional bits from the top end of the Mustang and Camaro/Corvette spectrum.

Also the 1LE does make a huge difference in the handling. I've driven both. It actually makes the car feel smaller and sharper. All body motions are better controlled, damping is near perfect, and the suspension is tweaked to squeeze every last bit of mechanical grip from the 285/305 rubber (minus a few camber adjustments which could still help). As mentioned before it does nothing to address the other issues.

C7 is in a league of it's own in my view. It's a rocket ship. Fastest cars at any of the track day's I've been to over the years are typically C6 and C7s. Light, able to accept HUGE tires, good suspensions and big power. For a track day focused car this is very hard to beat. But like you said, if you have family than you need another car for sure. But it is a rush and a beast of a car. Till this day my land speed record is still from a C6 Z06. 187mph. What a rush.
2018 Camaro SS 1LE. Because race car!

"Redline a day keeps the mechanics away"

Last edited by 5.M0NSTER; 02-22-2020 at 06:35 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2020, 09:52 AM   #7
Conissah
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5.M0NSTER View Post
That said, I think the 1LE and GT350 are even more track ready from the showroom floor.
I wonder what your opinions would be of a more track pepped M2C (ignorant of sound of course). Makes great power all through the rev range, huge brakes, and proper cooling, just with larger tires and proper pads + fluid. We all know the 245/265 setup is entirely too small for both the OG and Comp, but if it were 265/285, I feel that would even the playing field a but more. Albeit, the car is no longer in stock configuration, but that's 1/2 the fun of owning a car, modding, and making it your own, whether that be performance upgrades, cosmetic, or both.
Appreciate 1
5.M0NSTER3353.50
      02-22-2020, 12:28 PM   #8
5.M0NSTER
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conissah View Post
I wonder what your opinions would be of a more track pepped M2C (ignorant of sound of course). Makes great power all through the rev range, huge brakes, and proper cooling, just with larger tires and proper pads + fluid. We all know the 245/265 setup is entirely too small for both the OG and Comp, but if it were 265/285, I feel that would even the playing field a but more. Albeit, the car is no longer in stock configuration, but that's 1/2 the fun of owning a car, modding, and making it your own, whether that be performance upgrades, cosmetic, or both.
I do hope to drive one that is more track prepped. In all honesty I think you're right. They can be make into properly fast tack weapons which sit uncomfortably close in the rear view mirrors of lower spec 718s and 911s. I have a lot of respect for the M2C as a dual duty and a track focused car. The handling balance of these cars is sooooo good. And that allows the driver to push it closer to, and even slightly past the edge compared to other cars.

Of course, the flip side of the coin is that you're starting modding a car which already sits at $60k, and modding BMWs is not cheap. Especially comparing to the competition mentioned above. A Mustang wheel in 19x10 fitting 285 or 295 section tire, which weighs 23lbs can be had for about $200 for example. So base price being more, and modding being even more expensive on top of it, the questions becomes at what point is the value proposition no longer appealing based on your individual needs/wants/financial situation?

But on the performance side, no question M2C is a potent track tool and still a usable, comfortable dual duty machine. And you already mentioned the sound, so I don't have to

Appreciate 1
Conissah1576.00
      02-22-2020, 03:07 PM   #9
pruettfan
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2, LBB, DCT, Exec

The SS 1LE is the best track car for the money on that list without a question. Having said that the ergonomics are terrible and I could never own one. The M2 is a great all around car that is very respectable on track. All the guys that talk about performance need to spend a moment thinking about the fact that the driver is the weak point of any of these cars. Best mod is simple, improve the driver. Of course brake pads and fluid are a must with just about any car if you are going to track properly.

Just noticed the SS was not 1LE. SS on its own isn't much of a car to love really.

You will enjoy the M2 I am sure.

Last edited by pruettfan; 02-22-2020 at 03:16 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2020, 03:22 PM   #10
5.M0NSTER
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pruettfan View Post
All the guys that talk about performance need to spend a moment thinking about the fact that the driver is the weak point of any of these cars. Best mod is simple, improve the driver.
Yes, a driver mod is needed to access any car's true potential. That being said, those who have education in vehicle dynamics and experience with limit handling will still be faster in a faster car. Event at 90% driver skill, if the Camaro is 6s faster at Lightning lap, that means a 90% driver (compared to the whoever set the lap time) will make up 4 to 5s a lap.

But I understand what you're saying. If you can't take advantage of 350hp around the track than adding 100hp makes no difference.

Appreciate 0