BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > N55 Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning > N55 PS2 Stage 2+ MM E30 "Wavy" AFR at the Top End

07-16-2022, 01:24 AM   #1
eeyang92
Captain
Rep
Drives: LBB M2 LCI 6MT

N55 PS2 Stage 2+ MM E30 "Wavy" AFR at the Top End

Hey all,

I'm trying to sort out one remaining issue before I go for a full custom tune on my PS2.

https://www.bootmod3.net/log?id=62c8...0b43079f4be448

Looking at the log above, besides the timing correction on cylinder 1 (which I will try to fix by adding a bit more E), everything looks to be normal except the AFR between 5.5k-7k RPM.

The boost targets are being hit and HPFP is performing okay. But for some reason the AFR is spiking up and down between ~12.5 on the low end and~13.5 on the high end. I do notice the STFT also jumping between 0.88 and 0.92 which seems to coincide with the AFR waves. So it seems to me the engine is actively compensating for something?

I've been messaging BM3 regarding this behavior on the map and they think it could be related to the injectors (this is after I already replaced basically everything, from gapped NGK spark plugs to B58 coils). My impression was that if my injectors were bad I would know quite quickly with misfires and such. Is it possible for injectors to display intermittent issues at WOT at high boost?

Potentially relevant - there is one thing that has been bothering me - after I installed my PS2 I got an annoying harmonic sound (almost like a kazoo that switched between 2 or 3 notes depending on load) coming from my cold air intake. I swapped back to the stock intake and the sound pretty much disappeared (it is very faint, but I hear it if I turn off the music and really listen) so I chalked it up to being the new turbo or turbosmart DV+ sounds. But now I'm not so sure, perhaps I have a boost leak? But I figure a boost leak wouldn't affect AFR if the boost is holding steady at the MAP sensor?

Before I go and drop another stack of cash on new injectors and tools, is anyone else familiar with this sort of behavior? Is it normal? Or is it a sign there is an issue? My car has 43k miles on it so I would expect the injectors to have plenty of life still as it's really only been tuned for the last few thousand miles.

If anyone else has logs of Stage 2+ MM E30 (with roughly E40-E50 in the tank), I'd be interested in comparing logs as well!

For reference, here is my Stage 2 MM log without the wavy AFR issue on the top end: https://www.bootmod3.net/log?id=62a0...90c60b5219c05c

TIA!
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2022, 07:44 AM   #2
ZM2
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 LBB M2

I don’t have time to review your log right now, so the other guys will have to chime in, but here’s a recent Stg 2+ MM log I did where I map switched between pulls.

Stg 2+ E30 (Map 1) —> 93 (Map 3) —> Flat Torque (Map 4) —> E30 (Map 1): https://www.bootmod3.net/log?id=62ca...729b6f82862fa8

I’m TTE460, not PS2, but curious if you see any similarities or differences.

Good luck!
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2022, 06:19 PM   #3
eeyang92
Captain
Rep
Drives: LBB M2 LCI 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZM2 View Post
I don’t have time to review your log right now, so the other guys will have to chime in, but here’s a recent Stg 2+ MM log I did where I map switched between pulls.

Stg 2+ E30 (Map 1) —> 93 (Map 3) —> Flat Torque (Map 4) —> E30 (Map 1): https://www.bootmod3.net/log?id=62ca...729b6f82862fa8

I’m TTE460, not PS2, but curious if you see any similarities or differences.

Good luck!
Hey ZM2, thanks for that! Yeah, I think your AFR, while it does move around, is much less spikey than mine. So this probably does suggest there is something going on with my engine rather than the tune itself... I may just go ahead and change out the injectors. I'll get them from FCP anyways so it should just be a one time cost...
Appreciate 0