BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Front adjustable endlink setup question

03-01-2024, 07:03 AM   #1
MooMooM2
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

Front adjustable endlink setup question

Been looking into how to correctly setup end links but have a question.

If I set both end links with the car jacked, have em at the same length. Then drop the car so there is no preload on the sway bar leaving one disconnected. Now adjust the disconnected end link so it is effortless to connect to sway bar.
My question is, would then 1 of the end links be a different length than the other one? Would this matter or should one try to get both end links to be the exact same?
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2024, 09:20 AM   #2
OG Shark
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: Angry

I would adjust both loaded. I cannot envision how this wouldn't create a pretty uneven setup that would not have clearance problems. They don't have to be the exact same but the way you describe would likely be very uneven.

If it is a matter of access might look at a set of hub stands - they can really help here. Our alignment system uses them and I'm a big fan.
Appreciate 1
MooMooM21817.50
      03-01-2024, 09:35 AM   #3
medphysdave
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 CS | 85 of 592

I had to have my alignment shop properly adjust mine. I tried. Couldn't understand where all the clanking was coming from. Thought it was springs and camber plates. Nope, poorly adjusted endlinks slapping against the LCA.
      03-01-2024, 09:50 AM   #4
MooMooM2
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by OG Shark View Post
I would adjust both loaded. I cannot envision how this wouldn't create a pretty uneven setup that would not have clearance problems. They don't have to be the exact same but the way you describe would likely be very uneven.

If it is a matter of access might look at a set of hub stands - they can really help here. Our alignment system uses them and I'm a big fan.
yeah this makes more sense to me but from every thing I read and videos where people are just leaving 1 unbolted and then adjust that one only and like you say this sounds like it would create an uneven end link (could be just a bit or could be a lot).
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2024, 09:53 AM   #5
MooMooM2
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by medphysdave View Post
I had to have my alignment shop properly adjust mine. I tried. Couldn't understand where all the clanking was coming from. Thought it was springs and camber plates. Nope, poorly adjusted endlinks slapping against the LCA.
yeah one of those things, hard to see in there when car is loaded, even on ramps. I guess that is when OGs recommendation of hub stands really make sense.

I might cheat and use my jacks to mimic the front being loaded and then adjust them that way since I have way too many jacks but no hub stands.
Appreciate 1
      03-01-2024, 12:22 PM   #6
medphysdave
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 CS | 85 of 592

Quote:
Originally Posted by MooMooM2 View Post
yeah one of those things, hard to see in there when car is loaded, even on ramps. I guess that is when OGs recommendation of hub stands really make sense.

I might cheat and use my jacks to mimic the front being loaded and then adjust them that way since I have way too many jacks but no hub stands.
That's a good idea. I should have measured the hub center to fender distance. Then lowered the car onto jack stands to compress the suspension until the hub fender measurement was replicated.
      03-01-2024, 12:27 PM   #7
MooMooM2
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by medphysdave View Post
That's a good idea. I should have measured the hub center to fender distance. Then lowered the car onto jack stands to compress the suspension until the hub fender measurement was replicated.
I read it in the comments of a Farkle video lol so can't take credit but its indeed a good idea, will not be as accurate as other methods but I think will be good enough.
Appreciate 0