BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > TCK coilovers/camber plate

10-05-2022, 06:23 PM   #45
SCMTX
Private
Rep
Drives: F87 M2C, exesE92 M3, F82, F30

I got everything mostly quiet…
Stock sway bar end link was slightly loose , one on each axle. Camber plates do make noise when loading/unloading the front suspension….driveway to street curbing at almost full lock. Driving down the road I don’t hear anything.
The helper springs would solve the problem.
Stock M2C wheels and tires. 10 mm spacer up front. Roughly -3 on front camber.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2022, 07:31 PM   #46
HP Autosport
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: F80 M3
Location: Santa Barbara, AP, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Performance Friction, www.hpautosport.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCMTX View Post
Just installed the TCK DA kit on my M2C. I’ve already pulled the rear shocks out once to retighten the shock top bolt, I had used blue locktite as well. Guess I need to go find a nylock nut, the lock washers aren’t enough.
The front WAS quiet, but something up front has worked it’s way lose.
I’m pretty frustrated, BUT the ride is soooo much better than stock! It’s not even close, very supple. However, I’m going to have to get the 400/700 springs, I think the 300/600 isn’t firm enough. I’m not slammed, but I have got tire rub with larger dips in the road. I’m running in between street and track settings for rebound and compression.
300/600 is a great street setup. 400/700 for a dual purpose car.

We are a dealer for TCKR so feel free to reach out to us.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2022, 10:31 AM   #47
SCMTX
Private
Rep

I installed the 400/700 after first trying the 300/600. Also installed a Whiteline front sway bar. TCK recommended street stock settings still very soft imo. Prob need somewhere in the middle of street and track settings. I honestly think a DD car would probably need to be in the 500/800-900 range.
My only real issue with the kit is the front camber plates, or lack of tension on the front springs. Turning the wheel is making noise in the camber plate area....sounds like binding springs. I really doubt it is supposed to be like this. I went with the TCK kit because it came with camber plates, but not I think I prob should have went with Vorschlag for the bearings? Any advice for me?
Thanks
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2022, 12:05 PM   #48
leopard print
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Really well for an Asian.

Quote:
I installed the 400/700 after first trying the 300/600. Also installed a Whiteline front sway bar. TCK recommended street stock settings still very soft imo. Prob need somewhere in the middle of street and track settings. I honestly think a DD car would probably need to be in the 500/800-900 range.
My only real issue with the kit is the front camber plates, or lack of tension on the front springs. Turning the wheel is making noise in the camber plate area....sounds like binding springs. I really doubt it is supposed to be like this. I went with the TCK kit because it came with camber plates, but not I think I prob should have went with Vorschlag for the bearings? Any advice for me?
Thanks
Interesting. I get no binding noise when turning.

I agree with you on the spring rates. Could be a little stiffer, but I don't the way they ride now. Very comfortable for my use.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2022, 08:06 PM   #49
///393
Captain
Rep
Drives: X6

Quote:
Thanks
I had terrible spring bind in my TCK kit that was resolved with a fresh pair of bearings (covered by TCK) for the front camber plates. Apparently there was a bad batch.

Problem is after it being completely gone, after 500 street miles I’m getting hints of it. To be clear, it was undriveable before so this isn’t the same thing at all, but now that I’m familiar with what spring bind is my radar is up and I definitely have detected the faintest bit of it in very rare circumstances.

It’s tolerable for now, but I’ll be moving on to MCS with Vorschlag plates at some point down the road.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2022, 08:59 AM   #50
SCMTX
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilson kop View Post
I had terrible spring bind in my TCK kit that was resolved with a fresh pair of bearings (covered by TCK) for the front camber plates. Apparently there was a bad batch.

Problem is after it being completely gone, after 500 street miles I’m getting hints of it. To be clear, it was undriveable before so this isn’t the same thing at all, but now that I’m familiar with what spring bind is my radar is up and I definitely have detected the faintest bit of it in very rare circumstances.

It’s tolerable for now, but I’ll be moving on to MCS with Vorschlag plates at some point down the road.
Dang it...that's not what I want to hear....about the bearings. When your car is up in the air are your springs unloaded/movable? I can't remember if you were the one who had the helper springs or not?

Last night, had the car in the air for the AA EL mid pipe install. Turning the front wheels left and right, the top not and strut sharf turn, and the spring is also trying to turn, just grinding on the lower perch....seems wrong to me? I had to replace the bearings on the stock mounting hats on my e46 M3, and the car was on Bilstein B16s, I had a binding issue.

Would you say the problem is likely my bearings?
Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2022, 10:14 AM   #51
MooMooM2
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

I was going to get some TCKlines next year but don't love that so many people are having issues, even if not major issues I still don't want to deal with noise, ect and have to go back to the shop to fix issues.

What is known to be the best coilover setup and by best I mean that has the least issues after installation (apart form the MP one which seems pretty tried and true), I guess KW3s? since they are basically the same as MP + the vorschslag plates?
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2022, 12:46 PM   #52
SEAT TIME RULES
Major
Rep
Drives: 20 BMW M2C 17 Mazda MX-5 RF

Garage List
2020 BMW M2C  [5.00]
Quote:
Thanks
I run the 400/700 setup with SA fronts and DA rears...

I have ended up adjusting the shocks 1/2 way between full soft and the recommended track settings. Perfect for me

As for the spring binding issue....mine will do it once in a blue moon.

Usually right after its been sitting in my garage for a few days.

Nothing that bothers me....

I've had TC Kline setups on all 3 of my M cars. E36, E46 and F87.

Very solid, reliable C/O's
My 2020M2C Build: https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1696726
Appreciate 1
      10-11-2022, 04:49 PM   #53
SCMTX
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEAT TIME RULES View Post
I run the 400/700 setup with SA fronts and DA rears...

I have ended up adjusting the shocks 1/2 way between full soft and the recommended track settings. Perfect for me

As for the spring binding issue....mine will do it once in a blue moon.

Usually right after its been sitting in my garage for a few days.

Nothing that bothers me....

I've had TC Kline setups on all 3 of my M cars. E36, E46 and F87.

Very solid, reliable C/O's
I just got off the phone with TC. He is such a nice guy with great customer support! I believe my issue is related to the mushroom shaped sleeve coming out or something not tightened all the way. I told him I would get it back in the air and pull the front strut assemblies out to double check everything. I also asked him to overnight, and bill me, for two more of the mushroom sleeves.

It sounds like I did everything correctly, but it's possible the sleeves fell out right before I got the strut piston back into the camber plate. When I switched springs I just took off the piston/shaft nut and left the camber plate in place. They could be in front of my driveway somewhere....

Anyway, my improper wrenching skills shouldn't deter someone from using this system. The 400/700 and current settings are great! Honestly, the 300/600 with track settings and 400/700 close to track settings are a better, more controlled ride than stock. The customer service from TCK is better than 98% of any other retail purchase experience I have had.
Appreciate 2
      10-11-2022, 08:51 PM   #54
///393
Captain
Rep

Quote:
The customer service from TCK is better than 98% of any other retail purchase experience I have had.
Glad to hear you’re working on a solution. I’m confident you can get it sorted. I’ll echo your sentiment on TC and the brand as a whole. I may eventually move to MCS but I’m incredibly happy with my TCK setup. I daily this car and it rides like a dream. You read of weird noise issues with KW and Ohlins so it kinda just comes with the territory I guess.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2022, 11:43 AM   #55
SCMTX
Private
Rep

Quote:
Glad to hear you’re working on a solution. I’m confident you can get it sorted. I’ll echo your sentiment on TC and the brand as a whole. I may eventually move to MCS but I’m incredibly happy with my TCK setup. I daily this car and it rides like a dream. You read of weird noise issues with KW and Ohlins so it kinda just comes with the territory I guess.
Updates lol…..
Bearings in camber plates were mostly stuck, mostly freed now. Less noise/binding. Will likely need at least one new bearing.
Best fix without new different design plates, my plan of action…
Helper springs with couplers between TCK and helpers. Problem a pair of these on the bottom of the front TCK springs….in between the springs and lower perch.

Fwiw, I’m running stiffer than the track settings on the street and everything is very well controlled with the 400/700 springs. Just wanted to share my experiences, journey to help anyone else out….

https://www.bimmerworld.com/2-5-Torrington-Bearing-Kit.html

https://www.bimmerworld.com/2-25-Spring-Thrust-Sheet-Set.html
Appreciate 2
      10-15-2022, 11:55 AM   #56
riko///m2
Enlisted Member
No_Country
Rep
Drives: LSB E46 M3, AW F87 M2, and 33

Garage List
2004 BMW M3  [9.90]
2017 BMW m2   [9.75]
Quote:
Quote:
Updates lol…..
Bearings in camber plates were mostly stuck, mostly freed now. Less noise/binding. Will likely need at least one new bearing.
Best fix without new different design plates, my plan of action…
Helper springs with couplers between TCK and helpers. Problem a pair of these on the bottom of the front TCK springs….in between the springs and lower perch.

Fwiw, I’m running stiffer than the track settings on the street and everything is very well controlled with the 400/700 springs. Just wanted to share my experiences, journey to help anyone else out….

https://www.bimmerworld.com/2-5-Torrington-Bearing-Kit.html

https://www.bimmerworld.com/2-25-Spring-Thrust-Sheet-Set.html
I also upgraded to 400/700 springs. I am really happy with it. I use my car for streets only ( no track).

The 400/700 in my opinion should be the tck standard coils for the f87 m2.
      10-17-2022, 08:41 PM   #57
///393
Captain
Rep

Was also looking at those thrust sheets. A new set of bearings solved this 99% but if I were redoing the fix I’d throw the thrust sheets in for hood measure. Only reason I didn’t was I ordered the wrong size.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2022, 09:03 AM   #58
hlm2c
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2C

Quote:
Was also looking at those thrust sheets. A new set of bearings solved this 99% but if I were redoing the fix I’d throw the thrust sheets in for hood measure. Only reason I didn’t was I ordered the wrong size.
What's the correct size of thrust sheets to use?
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2022, 03:07 PM   #59
HP Autosport
United_States
Rep

Location: Santa Barbara, AP, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Performance Friction, www.hpautosport.com

Quote:
if you are experiencing noise with the front coilovers, camber plates with a radial bearing in the upper perch is a very good option.

TCKR is typically 60mm.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2022, 04:11 PM   #60
SCMTX
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HP Autosport View Post
if you are experiencing noise with the front coilovers, camber plates with a radial bearing in the upper perch is a very good option.

TCKR is typically 60mm.
Help please. Radial bearing like on an e46 m3 upper mount? 60mm bearing on the bottom side of the upper spring hat, in between the spring and hat correct?

Unfortunately, 400/700 is too soft for me. I bought 500/800, Eibach coupler with a hyperco helper. Of course you guys can all guess what happened to my ride height.... Front spring perch is all the way lowered and I still have way too much of a gap between the top of the front tires and fender. Ordered a pair of Eibach 5.1" high coils.....

My lesson for the day (which I can never get through my head), pay extra and get exactly what you want the first time.

I prefer the stance of the pic with the stock wheels on the car.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-28-2022, 03:14 PM   #61
HP Autosport
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Help please. Radial bearing like on an e46 m3 upper mount? 60mm bearing on the bottom side of the upper spring hat, in between the spring and hat correct?

Unfortunately, 400/700 is too soft for me. I bought 500/800, Eibach coupler with a hyperco helper. Of course you guys can all guess what happened to my ride height.... Front spring perch is all the way lowered and I still have way too much of a gap between the top of the front tires and fender. Ordered a pair of Eibach 5.1" high coils.....

My lesson for the day (which I can never get through my head), pay extra and get exactly what you want the first time.

I prefer the stance of the pic with the stock wheels on the car.
7" should be a typical front spring length. You can also run a 6" with a low solid height helper. Check for coil bind when running a 5" spring.

No, the bearings in the E46 M3 front strut mounts are housed in a plastic housing. You will still need to run Swift stainless steel thrust sheet between them and the springs to keep them from cracking and falling apart. Swift thrust sheets are the way to go. Thrust bearings won't survive daily use.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2024, 08:48 AM   #62
Dozer324
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Coming back to this thread as it seems alot of other TC kline users posted in here. Curious on ride height settings for 18" and 19" wheels with the SA/DA 300/600 setup TC offers.

My current issue is extreme wear on the inside of the front tires. I have the camber plates all the way out, so I can't adjust that. When I went to measure front ride height, the front left and right were .75" of an inch different??? I'm going to raise the one side so they match, then once I get new tires on will get an alignment done.

What is everyone running their ride height at with the TC suspension? I have noticed members with the Mperformance suspension run at about 595/600 and on 19's the fender gap looks perfect. I'd love to achieve that look but I don't want alignment and camber to affected by ride height to the point my tires are not wearing properly.

I will get pics of my tire wear to show if this normal or not.

edit: just want to add, I love the TC kline setup in terms of driving, 30,000 miles with no other issues and a great handling ride.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2024, 12:45 PM   #63
ThreeStripes
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X3M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dozer324 View Post
My current issue is extreme wear on the inside of the front tires. I have the camber plates all the way out, so I can't adjust that. When I went to measure front ride height, the front left and right were .75" of an inch different??? I'm going to raise the one side so they match, then once I get new tires on will get an alignment done.

What is everyone running their ride height at with the TC suspension? I have noticed members with the Mperformance suspension run at about 595/600 and on 19's the fender gap looks perfect.
Bad toe settings nuked a set of Pilot Super Sports of mine in an insanely small number of miles. Fix your ride height, and get an alignment with near 0 toe up front and a little toe in for the rear and you’ll be in better shape.

For 19s and stock tires, 595/600 looks great and is a solid reference point. TC setup sheet calls for .25in (6.3mm) higher rear than front for rake but otherwise says “set to taste” so that’s my recommendation here.

Dropping down to 18s, even with tires that have an OD within 5% of stock I have noticeably bigger fender gap. It just is what it is. It’s doesn’t look bad enough to matter to me and actually supports more aggressive curb use on track.

Last edited by ThreeStripes; 03-06-2024 at 06:20 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2024, 01:31 PM   #64
HP Autosport
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dozer324 View Post
Coming back to this thread as it seems alot of other TC kline users posted in here. Curious on ride height settings for 18" and 19" wheels with the SA/DA 300/600 setup TC offers.

What is everyone running their ride height at with the TC suspension? I have noticed members with the Mperformance suspension run at about 595/600 and on 19's the fender gap looks perfect. I'd love to achieve that look but I don't want alignment and camber to affected by ride height to the point my tires are not wearing properly.

I will get pics of my tire wear to show if this normal or not.

edit: just want to add, I love the TC kline setup in terms of driving, 30,000 miles with no other issues and a great handling ride.
Toe will eat through your tires quicker than camber. You likely have too much toe out.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2024, 09:50 AM   #65
ThreeStripes
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X3M

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeStripes View Post
Dropping down to 18s, even with tires that have an OD within 5% of stock I have noticeably bigger fender gap. It just is what it is. It’s doesn’t look bad enough to matter to me and actually supports more aggressive curb use on track.
Just realized BMW recommends roughly 20mm additional drop for cars on 18s instead of 19s. Looking at my car moving between 19s to 18s, this checks out.
Appreciate 0