BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Camber plates for street driving?

03-11-2024, 01:57 PM   #1
trilax59
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 M2 LCI

Garage List
  [0.00]
  [0.00]
2018 BMW M2 LCI  [0.00]
Camber plates for street driving?

Hi folks. I’m looking at getting a set of Ohlins R/T coilovers and have been chatting with a few shops to get their recommendations on camber plates.

I’ve received about equal responses in favor and against using them.

I’ll be using the car for spirited driving and some road trips throughout the year, no track use (at least for the foreseeable future). The wheels will stay as stock 437m until the tires wear out, then upgrade to some wider wheels.

I’m super torn on whether to get camber plates or not for my use case. One shop said I should get it for the adjustability and to get the most out of the suspension. Another shop said it’s overkill for what I need and will create a lot of NVH. I’m fine with NVH but have no context on what the NVH sounds/feels like.

Would love to hear some people’s thoughts/expeirences before I have everything installed.
      03-11-2024, 02:48 PM   #2
ThreeStripes
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X3M

I’ve had TC Kline and Nitron camber plates and neither were noisy. That said, I agree with the shop that said they’re overkill for you.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2024, 04:12 PM   #3
FaRKle!
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 328d Wagon, M2 Comp, i4 eD35

Garage List
If you have no track use, then you don't need camber plates IMO.

If you must have camber just to have more camber, and want to avoid NVH as much as possible your options are 1) new front BMW camber correction knuckles with -0.5deg additional camber built in, and 2) adjustable wishbone/lower control arms that allow you to extend the arm length (can get about -0.8deg extra).

If you're looking to get camber plates anyways then Millway Street are the ticket.

Please don't PM me for suspension recommendations unless interested in paid private consultations.
Appreciate 2
RyeM23.00
      03-12-2024, 04:39 PM   #4
medphysdave
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 CS | 85 of 592

Quote:
Originally Posted by FaRKle! View Post
If you have no track use, then you don't need camber plates IMO.

If you must have camber just to have more camber, and want to avoid NVH as much as possible your options are 1) new front BMW camber correction knuckles with -0.5deg additional camber built in, and 2) adjustable wishbone/lower control arms that allow you to extend the arm length (can get about -0.8deg extra).

If you're looking to get camber plates anyways then Millway Street are the ticket.
I think this is spot on. The CS has the camber correction hubs to get to about -1.9. I will say that I prefer a bit more than that, but tire wear was nice and even. If I were not doing track events I'd opt for the adjustable LCA to get a bit more. A couple of users have demonstrated that the Adjustable LCA alone will not get enough camber for track use.
      03-20-2024, 10:02 PM   #5
HP Autosport
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: F80 M3
Location: Santa Barbara, AP, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Performance Friction, www.hpautosport.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by trilax59 View Post
Hi folks. I’m looking at getting a set of Ohlins R/T coilovers and have been chatting with a few shops to get their recommendations on camber plates.

I’ve received about equal responses in favor and against using them.

I’ll be using the car for spirited driving and some road trips throughout the year, no track use (at least for the foreseeable future). The wheels will stay as stock 437m until the tires wear out, then upgrade to some wider wheels.

I’m super torn on whether to get camber plates or not for my use case. One shop said I should get it for the adjustability and to get the most out of the suspension. Another shop said it’s overkill for what I need and will create a lot of NVH. I’m fine with NVH but have no context on what the NVH sounds/feels like.

Would love to hear some people’s thoughts/expeirences before I have everything installed.
As much as we would like to sell you camber plates, don't get them if it's your street car, especially if the roads you drive on aren't the greatest.

If you think your tolerance to NVH is high, you can take advantage of the additional negative camber the plates offer.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2024, 12:09 PM   #6
Alanine
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by HP Autosport View Post
As much as we would like to sell you camber plates, don't get them if it's your street car, especially if the roads you drive on aren't the greatest.

If you think your tolerance to NVH is high, you can take advantage of the additional negative camber the plates offer.
Great feedback. What's your advice for someone who wants to do 1-2 trackdays per year, but spends all remaining time on the street (commuting) etc? It has been said that even only a couple of track events could be enough to destroy our expensive tires without sufficient camber. I really don't fancy camber plates - is this where the knuckles would be a better fit? This is specifically for an OG M2.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2024, 12:29 PM   #7
gsrbri
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F87 6MT

I have Ohlins R&T and camber plates. I’m curious as to why someone would invest/upgrade to adjustable coil overs and not add proper camber plates to increase front-end grip through negative camber - esp. if track days are on the agenda. A/out plates, your front-end grip offered by the Ohlins will be undercut by lack of additional camber. Otherwise, stock suspension for 100% street is probably fine w/ upgraded dampers.

The camber plates eliminate the stock strut head bearings and rubber mounts that isolate the NVH from the suspension and steering. Replaced with a roller bearing and no rubber. You literally get more cabin noise and slight vibration, sharpness through the steering wheel. I feel it’s ok for the street but not if you value some balance of luxury over performance.

I run -2.0 deg camber in front and it transforms the car in terms of steering and grip. It is my second car (1-2k miles er year) and, with zero toe, it does not scallop or eat the inner front tires like I was expecting.

Just my opinion from an OG M2 with the set-up you mention.

Good luck!
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2024, 12:59 PM   #8
medphysdave
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

These cars require a lot of camber to not eat tires. Two track days a year and I'd get the camber plates. They'll pay for themselves on the first set of tires.

You could try the street plates. Can they get -3.5 up front?

Anyhow, they aren't difficult to add and remove in between track days if the noise was too much
      03-21-2024, 03:33 PM   #9
Brokenbones
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M2c and S2000

A set of street plates at 2.5 might be perfect for OP. Farkle loves his millways.

My vorschlags make a knocking noise on rough pavement or small imperfections in road, and that's pretty much all the roads I drive on. Its less annoying then constantly makes me think the suspensions loose... I check everything is bolted well every time i swap tires. If i wasn't planning on running 10 track days a year or high camber i'd seriously consider the millways.

Last edited by Brokenbones; 03-21-2024 at 05:01 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2024, 04:12 PM   #10
trilax59
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 M2 LCI

Garage List
  [0.00]
  [0.00]
2018 BMW M2 LCI  [0.00]
Thanks everyone. I don’t track the car, nor do I plan to for a bit. My main goal is to have a car that’s completely dialed in for spirited driving and carving back roads, but retain some level of comfort for road trips (mostly highway miles). Thinking about even sending the coilovers to 3DM for lighter springs/revalve.

Would millway street camber plates be the best option since they allow for camber to properly dial in the suspension, but minimize most of NVH that come with other camber plates like Vorshlag?
      03-22-2024, 03:29 PM   #11
HP Autosport
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: F80 M3
Location: Santa Barbara, AP, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Performance Friction, www.hpautosport.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alanine View Post
Great feedback. What's your advice for someone who wants to do 1-2 trackdays per year, but spends all remaining time on the street (commuting) etc? It has been said that even only a couple of track events could be enough to destroy our expensive tires without sufficient camber. I really don't fancy camber plates - is this where the knuckles would be a better fit? This is specifically for an OG M2.
0.5 deg from the knuckles isn't that much. You will still destroy your tires if pushed hard. You might have to bite the bullet and get a set of street plates from Millway.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2024, 03:32 PM   #12
medphysdave
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

I was running a total of -3.2 and it still wasn't enough to stay off the outer edge like I want. Tire temps were even with a cheap surface pyrometer, but I need to get a probe type to really check the evenness of tire temp.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2024, 01:45 AM   #13
Westersund
Captain
Sweden
Rep
Drives: BMW

I run the Millway camber plates (race version) and I have no problem with the added NVH. The tire noise in the M2 far exceeds any added noise from the camber plates. The camber plates in addition to thrust arm front bushing upgrade completely transforms the front end.
      03-24-2024, 09:07 AM   #14
medphysdave
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westersund View Post
I run the Millway camber plates (race version) and I have no problem with the added NVH. The tire noise in the M2 far exceeds any added noise from the camber plates. The camber plates in addition to thrust arm front bushing upgrade completely transforms the front end.
Thrust arm bushing removed the squirm I was getting under hard braking.
      03-24-2024, 09:17 AM   #15
Westersund
Captain
Sweden
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by medphysdave View Post
Thrust arm bushing removed the squirm I was getting under hard braking.
Same here! Car felt like on rails in all conditions. The Millway thrust arm bushing is basically a rear control arm bushing with a lathed housing in aluminium, cheap to replace the bushing and you retain the rubber boot keeping the maintenance at a minimum.