BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 CS Model > M2 CS Price for the US: $83,600 (plus $995 Destination)

12-27-2019, 10:27 AM   #1035
Poochie
Luxury at the redline :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPM33 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanAutM3 View Post
Your answer is the post from me that you just quoted
Is Adaptive Suspension something that can be easily turned On or Off by a button in the CS? Does it increase handling/performance?
It's always active, hence the name adaptive suspension..

And it does improve the handling, BMW would not make it a CS staple in this higher-performing model if it did not improve the handling.

https://www.bmw-m.com/en/topics/maga...nd-bmw-m4.html
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2019, 10:40 AM   #1036
AlpsRider
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition, LBB, 6MT

I think "improved" handling is subjective. It depends on what you're looking for. Track rats might disagree.
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2019, 10:44 AM   #1037
Poochie
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///AVM View Post
I am curious . . . if there were a blinded study where drivers were placed in an M2C with and one without adaptive suspension, would the drivers even know one from the other?

If there was a convincing (significant) difference perceived, which would be preferred?

I get the fact that there are car buyers who want to ante up for the CS exclusivity - cool.

I do not, and will not buy into the notion that the CS offers anywhere near the extra $20-25K BMW is asking over the M2C. Adaptive suspension seems to be a major topic of 'justification' for a small chunk of the massive up-charge, yet, what is the advantage . . . if any at all?

///AVM
Adaptive Suspension is such a cool technology and the only reason it wasn't offered in the M2 (yet ) is due to cost-cutting. I'm 1000% sure of that, regardless of what others claim.

If you're looking for changes between modes, you'll notice it but can be very subtle.The point of its implementation is for the dampers to take a reading from the ECU and react to the conditions and demand, thus controlling unwanted pitch and roll.

I never understood why there is so much hate here over AS, I always admired its advantage ever since I had a Acura in the late 90s and Tein Suspension offered them as an option. It was a technology ahead of its time.

A modern BMW with adjustable and progressive dampers is just divine.
Appreciate 1
///AVM2529.50
      12-27-2019, 10:57 AM   #1038
Mr Pete
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 997 GT3 4.1, Golf R (daily)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlpsRider View Post
I think "improved" handling is subjective. It depends on what you're looking for. Track rats might disagree.
I think if you track your car, you'll want to replace the adaptive.

My previous M4, I unchecked the adaptive suspension box. I had a F80 prior to my M4, and and for daily use, I felt no discernible difference in any of the 3 different modes.

I love my M2C.
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2019, 11:01 AM   #1039
Poochie
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Of course they wouldn't agree with it but it's asinine to assume BMW engineers added it to the CS because they wanted it to perform weaker on a track.

The folks with static dampers that rag on Adaptive Suspension is confusing to me; it's like being in a canoe paddling criticizing someone's yacht.
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2019, 11:05 AM   #1040
AlpsRider
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poochie View Post
Of course they wouldn't agree with it but it's asinine to assume BMW engineers added it to the CS because they wanted it to perform weaker on a track.

The folks with static dampers that rag on Adaptive Suspension is confusing to me; it's like being in a canoe paddling criticizing someone's yacht.
I think your comparison is a bit drastic
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2019, 11:07 AM   #1041
AlpsRider
Brigadier General
Rep

I'm not ragging on about BMW adaptive suspension. It's just not going to transform the car.
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2019, 11:09 AM   #1042
CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 911 turbo

Garage List
Quote:
I am a track rat, I have had adaptive suspension on my last three ///M cars and it works very well on track. It is better that the stock static suspension.

Previous cars: M4cs 2019 F82 Limerock Grey / M4 2015 F82 Silverstone / M3 2008 E92 Silverstone / M3 2002 E46 Carbon Black
Appreciate 2
GimmeanM1448.50
MDuckie93.00
      12-27-2019, 11:09 AM   #1043
Poochie
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I think your comparison is a bit drastic
It was obviously meant to be hyperbolic..
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2019, 11:10 AM   #1044
CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by RPM33 View Post
Does it increase handling/performance?

It's all there

Previous cars: M4cs 2019 F82 Limerock Grey / M4 2015 F82 Silverstone / M3 2008 E92 Silverstone / M3 2002 E46 Carbon Black
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2019, 11:41 AM   #1045
///AVM
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: G80 M3C

See, this is stuff that always muddies the waters. . . owners and prospective buyers referencing the 'track' that most will never sniff.

It's established by BMW themselves that the M2C is not intended for track use. Good, because again, it's not the use the majority of owners will ever pursue.

Has BMW established the M2CS as a dedicated track car? What percentage of future M2CS owners intend to use the car on a track?

F**k the track. It's not the reality or intended use - per BMW themselves - for the M2C. M2CS?

When track interests are pursued seriously (e.g., competitive interests), I have yet to see any such 'tracker' indicate they run their M2C stock. So, it might very well be a good base platform to 'build upon,' but not it's intended or common application.

I would be interested to know BMW's statement regarding the M2CS and it's intended use? Do they indicate it's not intended for track use, like the M2C? I seriously doubt a few more hp, carbon fiber bits and adaptive suspension make it any more track-intended than the M2C.

It just f**ks every discussion up when we talk about track performance of a stock car when the car is not intended for the track, nor ever intended to be used on a track by the majority of owners.

Rant over.

///AVM
Appreciate 4
Poochie9104.50
cptobvious2531.50
cbmmm3318.50
10"4974.50
      12-27-2019, 11:53 AM   #1046
Poochie
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Has BMW established the M2CS as a dedicated track car? What percentage of future M2CS owners intend to use the car on a track?

Fuck the track. It's not the reality or intended use - per BMW themselves - for the M2CS. M2CS?
All BMWs with maybe the exception of the M4 GTS and M2 CS Racing are not track cars.

Some can hold their own on a track but in its stock form, based on the videos I've seen, can be very jarring and sloppy to control.

The M4 CS does put down some impressive numbers around the Nürburgring, hence the comparison to a track car but I would never use one for such a task.
Appreciate 1
///AVM2529.50
      12-27-2019, 12:15 PM   #1047
GimmeanM
We've landed on the moon!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 1M (AW)

Garage List
2020 BMW M2 CS  [0.00]
2018 Toyota Tacoma  [0.00]
2011 BMW 1M  [10.00]
Quote:
See, this is stuff that always muddies the waters. . . owners and prospective buyers referencing the 'track' that most will never sniff.

It's established by BMW themselves that the M2C is not intended for track use. Good, because again, it's not the use the majority of owners will ever pursue.

F**k the track. It's not the reality or intended use - per BMW themselves - for the M2CS. M2CS?

When track interests are pursued seriously (e.g., competitive interests), I have yet to see any such 'tracker' indicate they run their M2C stock. So, it might very well be a good base platform to 'build upon,' but not it's intended or common application.

I would be interested to know BMW's statement regarding the M2CS and it's intended use? Do they indicate it's not intended for track use, like the M2C? I seriously doubt a few more hp, carbon fiber bits and adaptive suspension make it any more track-intended than the M2C.

It just f**ks every discussion up when we talk about track performance of a stock car when the car is not intended for the track, nor ever intended to be used on a track by the majority of owners.

Rant over.

///AVM
Exactly! The M2C is not a track car. The M2CS is not a track car. Every iteration of the F80 is not a track car. Even the M4GTS is intended to primarily be a street car yet have some capability on the track.

Knowing that the adaptive suspension adds weight to the M2CS, M Gmbh decided to add it to the CS anyway for the ride benefits it provides. It's easy to sit here an criticize the features on a car that NO ONE HAS DRIVEN YET!!

I'd bet the M2CS is going to kill it in the driving reviews. The CS package is the clear winner of the levels that were offered on the F80. Now, take that same philosophy and apply it to the F87 (which many driving enthusiasts already prefer over the F80).

If anyone wants to complain about anything, complain about the price/availability. Any other argument doesn't hold water.

Want a lighter car? How? Carbon tub? ($$$$) Not 'special' enough? Ok, what little piece would you change that would make it 'special' enough? Point is people are always going to complain no matter what BMW did. Can't wait to hear what all of the naysayers are going to complain about when it gets rave reviews!
///AVM2529.50
      12-27-2019, 12:53 PM   #1048
medphysdave
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 CS | 85 of 592

New complaint will be that it's a waste with the newer less expensive, superior M2 just around the corner

///AVM there's a lot of truth to this. My CS will see the track. But my track time doesn't remotely fall into competitive track times for a given track. It's just me getting to experience my car on a track.

Truth: my 300whp 93 Miata was slower around my home track ,with me driving, than the spec Miata cars with pro drivers.

Last edited by medphysdave; 12-27-2019 at 01:02 PM..
Appreciate 1
///AVM2529.50
      12-27-2019, 12:54 PM   #1049
GimmeanM
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW M2 CS  [0.00]
2011 BMW 1M  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by medphysdave View Post
New complaint will be that it's a waste with the newer less expensive, superior M2 just around the corner
Read: Bigger, heavier and more disconnected
      12-27-2019, 01:04 PM   #1050
medphysdave
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 CS | 85 of 592

Quote:
Originally Posted by GimmeanM View Post
Read: Bigger, heavier and more disconnected
That does appear to be what every current generation says about the next generation. I'm pretty sure this is an automotive forum requirement.
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2019, 01:09 PM   #1051
AlpsRider
Brigadier General
Rep

Of course judging how the CS with adaptive suspension will feel is nothing more than arm chair quarterbacking at this point. Maybe the BMW programmers will whip up a magic elixer.
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2019, 01:22 PM   #1052
GimmeanM
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW M2 CS  [0.00]
2011 BMW 1M  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by medphysdave View Post
That does appear to be what every current generation says about the next generation. I'm pretty sure this is an automotive forum requirement.
Haha! True, but regulations are making this happen to every manufacturer, or as Artemis said, the regulations around weight claims have become more strict therefore vehicles, on paper, are getting heavier. Either way, it will be dimensionally bigger.

I just watched a video that was posted somewhere here about the Tesla roadster and all of its "claims" concerning power, acceleration, range, and new fancy tech features. All of which sound cool, but if the car is as lifeless and sterile behind the wheel as the rest of what Tesla offers then who cares? Stats fade as the new model is always better in every measurement. I care about how the car feels beyond what the numbers indicate; that kind of impression has nothing to do with stats and yet it's the impression that is left with you when you get out of the car, and arguably the most important part.

Also, G87 is going to be made in Mexico, yes? I want my German sports coupe to be made in Germany please.
      12-27-2019, 02:15 PM   #1053
akkando
Major General
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 DCT LBB,11 e90 M3 ZCP IB

Quote:
Quote:

Fuck the track. It's not the reality or intended use - per BMW themselves - for the M2CS. M2CS?

It just fucks every discussion up when we talk about track performance of a stock car when the car is not intended for the track, nor ever intended to be used on a track by the majority of owners.

Rant over.

///AVM
Exactly! The M2C is not a track car. The M2CS is not a track car. Every iteration of the F80 is not a track car. Even the M4GTS is intended to primarily be a street car yet have some capability on the track.

Knowing that the adaptive suspension adds weight to the M2CS, M Gmbh decided to add it to the CS anyway for the ride benefits it provides. It's easy to sit here an criticize the features on a car that NO ONE HAS DRIVEN YET!!

I'd bet the M2CS is going to kill it in the driving reviews. The CS package is the clear winner of the levels that were offered on the F80. Now, take that same philosophy and apply it to the F87 (which many driving enthusiasts already prefer over the F80).

If anyone wants to complain about anything, complain about the price/availability. Any other argument doesn't hold water.

Want a lighter car? How? Carbon tub? ($$$$) Not 'special' enough? Ok, what little piece would you change that would make it 'special' enough? Point is people are always going to complain no matter what BMW did. Can't wait to hear what all of the naysayers are going to complain about when it gets rave reviews!
I wish it was lighter. Let's start with battery, seats, CF drive shaft, brakes and rotors. Would throw out the adaptive suspension for fixed too if it had meaningful weight savings.
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2019, 02:28 PM   #1054
Poochie
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by akkando View Post
I wish it was lighter. Let's start with battery, seats, CF drive shaft, brakes and rotors. Would throw out the adaptive suspension for fixed too if it had meaningful weight savings.
They could build the prefect sports car but the cost that would have to be passed down would be astronomical.

I went with a friend to purchase a lithium ion battery for an M4, it was a mere $1,800 not including registration.

And something like carbon ceramic rotor cost $4,000 per side. Add another $8,000 for light-weight seats. You get the point..

Folks are already complaining about the CS's MSRP, imagine what it would of cost if they had the opportunity to build their own "The Homer."

Appreciate 3
cptobvious2531.50
cbmmm3318.50
      12-27-2019, 02:30 PM   #1055
CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:

It seems you guys are completely missing what ///M cars are about, particularly the M2/3/4. Thinking that a car with the rear seats replaced with a roll cage and a fire extinguisher is primarily for street use . Since the onset of the E30 M3, these cars have always been intended as a dual use cars: practical daily drivers and track toys. It is that design intent that got me in my first M3 in 2001 and what keeps me coming back. And I have all used them exactly for that intent.

With the latest generations of M2/3/4, BMW is just offering different degrees of that dual use:
  • Base: Daily and track use
  • Competition: Daily use with enhanced track performance
  • CS: More track focused with daily usability
  • CSL (replaces GTS): Mainly track use but still road leagal.
There is official BMW press info to that effect, I just need to find it.

Last edited by CanAutM3; 12-28-2019 at 11:17 AM..
Appreciate 3
PLF693766.00
cptobvious2531.50
Tornado1M1211.00
      12-27-2019, 02:31 PM   #1056
CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:

F**k the track. It's not the reality or intended use - per BMW themselves - for the M2CS. M2CS?

Rant over.

///AVM
See post above.

Appreciate 1
PLF693766.00