BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Competition Model > BMW M2 Competition: production, order dates, engine specs & more (pre-launch info)

Closed Thread

09-02-2017, 08:45 PM   #683
SW19
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2016 Alpine White M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatte View Post
The seats should change. They changed from a base M3/M4 to ZCP. The CS moniker is supposed to be a bigger jump in performance. I am alright without the programmable buttons as well. 64K for what your list is not too bad.

Would really want a CF roof though. I think a CF roof with the Hockenhein silver exterior, CF duck tail,CF front lip, some ferric gray or black wheels will look absolutely stunning. Add in a dark brown Leather option (Mostly won't happen) and I already know exactly how I'll order my car.

Don't really care about the executive package or rear view cameras or much else.
The seats definitely won't change because ynguldyn already said that they will have Dakota Leather,the same Leather as the regular M2.There is no way that BMW will make the ZCP seats in Dakota Leather.

A Carbon Fiber roof would be awesome but it isn't going to happen either because there have been no test cars with the CF roof.

I think your 64k US number is pretty close to what the M2 CS will cost.

Last edited by SW19; 09-02-2017 at 09:04 PM..
Appreciate 1
StephGOD218.50
      09-02-2017, 08:57 PM   #684
ChrisK
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '19 M2C

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nantucket View Post
The seats definitely won't change because ynguldyn already said that they will have Dakota Leather,the same Leather as the regular M2.There is no way that BMW will make the ZCP seats in Dakota Leather.

A Carbon Fiber roof would be awesome but it isn't going to happen either because there have been no test cars with the CF roof.

I got stupid today and called my sales guy about the CS. I am now #1 on the list for a M2 CS. The idea of Sunset Orange is called me!

You never know.
      09-02-2017, 10:05 PM   #685
SW19
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2016 Alpine White M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisK View Post
I got stupid today and called my sales guy about the CS. I am now #1 on the list for a M2 CS. The idea of Sunset Orange is called me!

You never know.
Great decision,i am also number one on the list at my dealer for the M2 CS.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2017, 10:23 PM   #686
medphysdave
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 CS | 85 of 592

Quote:

It's already been mentioned that the roof will be aluminum. How much more weight is to be saved between aluminum and CF?

I don't see how this could be considered a more track focused car without more aggressive bolstering in the seats. Anyone who has tracked a car has recognized how confidence inspiring it is when held firmly in place by a good set of seats.
Appreciate 2
SW192441.50
Gatte1193.00
      09-02-2017, 10:52 PM   #687
mtoosexy
Captain
Rep
Drives: It like I stole It.

Garage List
Quote:
The seats should change. They changed from a base M3/M4 to ZCP. The CS moniker is supposed to be a bigger jump in performance. I am alright without the programmable buttons as well. 64K for what your list is not too bad.

Would really want a CF roof though. I think a CF roof with the Hockenhein silver exterior, CF duck tail,CF front lip, some ferric gray or black wheels will look absolutely stunning. Add in a dark brown Leather option (Mostly won't happen) and I already know exactly how I'll order my car.

Don't really care about the executive package or rear view cameras or much else.
Tell them to make 2 that exact way. I will take one !!!
StephGOD218.50
      09-03-2017, 12:32 AM   #688
Gatte
Major
Rep
Drives: anything with 4 wheels.

Quote:

What about the cloth leather combination on the seats ??
The seats have to change with some additional bolstering if BMW wants to market this as a track focused car.

Jason , ynguldyn, Artemis , Dackelone : Any new information on any aspects of the car ??
Appreciate 1
      09-03-2017, 02:51 AM   #689
N54
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: none

Quote:

Having recently been in a M3 comp pack the interior is sooooooo much nicer than the M2

They should put those seats in the M2

The looks of the M4 CS is great, all BMW need to do is copy it into a smaller M2 package.

I'm hopeful they will but expecting to be disappointed
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2017, 05:06 AM   #690
Karmic Man
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2C

I don't know how they expect people to track their car with those standard M2 seats.

My 1M has similar seats and I have to push my leg hard against the center console to stop my body from moving sideway during hard cornering at the track. This distracts me from getting the best out of my car. Their standard seats simply do not provide sufficient lateral support for hard cornering.

They should make those M badged Recaro seats available again as an option. This really is a no brainer.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2017, 10:21 AM   #691
Advevo
Banned
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition, E30 M3 DTM

Just mount 2 recaro race seats if you are tracking your car.

Also the m4 cs seats does not give you enough support on track!
Appreciate 1
      09-03-2017, 10:41 AM   #692
medphysdave
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Advevo View Post

The point of this car, for me at least, is that I don't have to go out and buy new parts to make it a DD/HPDE car.

Brakes, cooling, alignment range, seats, SS braded brake lines should all be in place. As well as Exec pack for creature comforts outside the above.

A nice feature would be the ability to mount a harness bar, and mounting points for lap/submarine belts.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2017, 11:21 AM   #693
SeanWRT
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 & F87 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by medphysdave View Post
Quote:

The point of this car, for me at least, is that I don't have to go out and buy new parts to make it a DD/HPDE car.

Brakes, cooling, alignment range, seats, SS braded brake lines should all be in place. As well as Exec pack for creature comforts outside the above.

A nice feature would be the ability to mount a harness bar, and mounting points for lap/submarine belts.
Brake line isn't up to track task, brake pad also needs an upgrade. This isn't a car made for track off the shelf.
      09-03-2017, 11:47 AM   #694
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Quote:
The seats should change. They changed from a base M3/M4 to ZCP.
Quote:
Quote:
I don't see how this could be considered a more track focused car without more aggressive bolstering in the seats. Anyone who has tracked a car has recognized how confidence inspiring it is when held firmly in place by a good set of seats.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtoosexy View Post
Tell them to make 2 that exact way. I will take one !!!
Quote:
What about the cloth leather combination on the seats ??
The seats have to change with some additional bolstering if BMW wants to market this as a track focused car.
Jason , ynguldyn, Artemis , Dackelone : Any new information on any aspects of the car ??
Quote:
Originally Posted by N54 View Post
Having recently been in a M3 comp pack the interior is sooooooo much nicer than the M2
They should put those seats in the M2
The looks of the M4 CS is great, all BMW need to do is copy it into a smaller M2 package.
I'm hopeful they will but expecting to be disappointed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karmic Man View Post
I don't know how they expect people to track their car with those standard M2 seats.
My 1M has similar seats and I have to push my leg hard against the center console to stop my body from moving sideway during hard cornering at the track. This distracts me from getting the best out of my car. Their standard seats simply do not provide sufficient lateral support for hard cornering.
They should make those M badged Recaro seats available again as an option. This really is a no brainer.
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanWRT View Post
Brake line isn't up to track task, brake pad also needs an upgrade. This isn't a car made for track off the shelf.
Let's tackle the track goodies and transmission conundrum with a bit of logical reasoning.

First imagine how you think BMW will position/market the M2 CS and its expected main use by target customers: daily driver ? mainly (extra) urban ? mainly track ? or a mix of all that ? Don't confuse 'versatile' with 'jack of all trades, master of none'. Subsequently, do the same exercise with the base M2 and compare your answers (whilst keeping in mind about the base M2 that "every adventure requires a first step"). Then ask yourself: would it make sense that BMW offers more choice this time around ? Maybe asking yourself that question, is already answering it.

Although in the end BMW could prove us all wrong, I trust that they will walk the smart road by offering choices, as this may offer an advantage over the competition, garner interest of a broad market of potential customers and allow to keep the base price (zero options) attractive. Let's face it: Porsche brilliantly masters the highly profitable 'à la carte' (personalization) success formula: your wish is our command. This may inspire BMW as well (of course to the extent that it's compatible with production facility possibilities and, probably, the M3/M4 hierarchy).
Name:  AliceIWL.jpg
Views: 2251
Size:  73.9 KB
      09-03-2017, 01:58 PM   #695
Gatte
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
Let's tackle the track goodies and transmission conundrum with a bit of logical reasoning.

First imagine how you think BMW will position/market the M2 CS and its expected main use by target customers: daily driver ? mainly (extra) urban ? mainly track ? or a mix of all that ? Don't confuse 'versatile' with 'jack of all trades, master of none'. Subsequently, do the same exercise with the base M2 and compare your answers (whilst keeping in mind about the base M2 that "every adventure requires a first step"). Then ask yourself: would it make sense that BMW offers more choice this time around ? Maybe asking yourself that question, is already answering it.

Although in the end BMW could prove us all wrong, I trust that they will walk the smart road by offering choices, as this may offer an advantage over the competition, garner interest of a broad market of potential customers and allow to keep the base price (zero options) attractive. Let's face it: Porsche brilliantly masters the highly profitable 'à la carte' (personalization) success formula: your wish is our command. This may inspire BMW as well (of course to the extent that it's compatible with production facility possibilities and, probably, the M3/M4 hierarchy).
Attachment 1684778
If I (consumer) was the the "Alice" and BMW the Cat, I would know exactly where I want to go and would ask the cat precisely that. However, there are not infinite roads and sooner or later one of the Alice would want to go to a place that the cat would simply not know the direction to in which case, Alice would go to a different cat. The Cat needs to know which Alice(s) to cater to.

The other scenario where that analogy would make sense is if BMW was the "Alice" and they were asking themselves that question about where they wanted to go with the M2 CS. In such a scenario where BMW was "Alice", at the end of the day, Alice cannot be at more than one place at the same time. She would have to pick one place and not think about the other. Hopefully, she picks the right place.

This is basically the old adage "You cannot please all the people, all the time". Some of us people have not been pleased for quite some time and it is now high time

Last edited by Gatte; 09-03-2017 at 02:04 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2017, 04:56 PM   #696
Artemis
Rep

Quote:
If I (consumer) was the the "Alice" and BMW the Cat, I would know exactly where I want to go and would ask the cat precisely that.
For sure, BMW and BMW M won't take any M2 CS questions yet. Still too early. Test mules lapping the Nürburgring this Summer are a tell-tale sign that development is still ongoing. They're keeping their M2 CS cards close to their chest and won't reveal those until the time they deem appropriate.

So please sit back, relax and trust that they know what they're doing. Patience is a virtue. Allow them the required breathing space to (hopefully) make history.

A couple of pacifiers:
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTT26 View Post
Ah, remember M2 CS will be an entirely different car than the standard M2. Not just its engine but it's nature too.
Quote:
The M4 CS does not arrive on the market until the last quarter of 2017.
I do not expect the next CS to be launched until the introduction of the M4 CS to the market. Breathing and establishing space is important and BMW will be having maximum focus on the M4 CS.
Quote:
To date I have heard nothing about the M2 GTS.
The M2 CS is coming but as I stated that the M4 CS has just been launched so they want to give it breathing space, same for the M2 LCI.
There is another M4 planned to further emulate the Porsche 911 series.
This will be towards the end of production.
Quote:
Yes I have not heard anything regarding a GTS. All creativity is currently on the CS.
Quote:
Well the new M5 begins a new era for BMW M. Which it all begins next week. [May 2017]
The CS cars offer more exclusivity to the more enthused customer.
The first X3M and X4M respond to the further requirements of customers especially in the US.
The next generation of Coupe models beginning with the M8 again will be offered with staged further development and creativity. With the aim to provide a razors edge between Motorsport and road going attributes.
Quote:
As BMW aim to showcase that each level will certainly display varying talents.
Just as the standard M4 is given further improvement with the Competition Packet and the M4 GTS receiving split deciding complex technology over the latter.
Then the M4 CS has to offer some appreciative level to stand out further. As it is said its a GTS without the complexity. So it will showcase its own formidable talent. The M2 CS will offer the more radical genetics but the standard M2 is not just a good car. It's a phenomenal car.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiTownM View Post
I have been told that manual could be reality for the CS, by a person fairly close to this and similar matter.
      09-03-2017, 10:07 PM   #697
medphysdave
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

This is certainly a production departure rumor

http://www.bmwblog.com/2017/09/03/bm...ed-1000-units/
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2017, 10:37 PM   #698
Gatte
Major
Rep

Quote:

I thought bmwblog got their news from here. I wonder where they got that information from ???
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2017, 11:46 PM   #699
medphysdave
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Makes me wonder if GTS production is in question.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2017, 02:19 AM   #700
as7920
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2023 SG/FR M4 xDrive Competiti

Quote:
I thought bmwblog got their news from here. I wonder where they got that information from ???
I have always believed they received their information from their own sources and trusted ones at that too.

Not had much reason to disbelieve anything that they say TBH.

Last edited by as7920; 09-04-2017 at 03:09 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2017, 03:13 AM   #701
Benef1cient
First Lieutenant
Poland
Rep
Drives: '18 LBB M2 LCI 6MT

That would be something:
Quote:
Rumors also say that the M2 CS will be quite limited – one thousand units for the whole world, with a numbered plaque that grants the status of exclusive unit. Ordering starts in January 2018 , followed by first deliveries in May. Only selected BMW M dealers will have a unit in their showrooms, as it is a model on demand.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2017, 03:24 AM   #702
Artemis
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
At the end of their article they quoted a Spanish article as source: https://www.motor.es/noticias/nuevos...bmw-m2-cs.html.

That Spanish article mainly recaps, almost word for word, all the recent info stated in the first post of this thread, with three exceptions:
  • claimed maximum power output of 405 hp: ("Como ya te hemos contado en algunas ocasiones, el nuevo BMW M2 CS montará el motor de gasolina S55 de 3.0 litros con una potencia máxima de 405 CV y que supone un incremento de 40 CV en comparación con el M2 convencional que monta el motor de gasolina TwinPower Turbo de seis cilindros en línea N55 que homologa una potencia de 370 CV.").
    However, 370 hp + 40 hp = 410 hp. As a matter of fact, the "302" kW figure of the mystery VIN referenced in the first post of this thread = 405 hp (mech) = 410.6 hp (metric). The Spanish article either mixes up those figures or writes for a US public.
  • claimed limited production of 1000 units and a numbered plaque: likely another mix-up with the rumored 999 figure for the mystery M2 GTS (still uncertain whether that car will ever see the light - no real signs of life yet, if ever). Sources at the German 2erTalk forum indicated last April that the M2 CS isn't supposed to be limited production, which sounds to make sense except if BMW has changed its mind in the meantime. I keep believing unlimited production till M2 end of production (2020).
  • the last paragraph about some changes to front end, rear end and brakes: likely educated guessing.
      09-04-2017, 03:47 AM   #703
cc3
Major
Rep
Drives: 1M, GT4, M2 M140i G40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
Quote:
Quote:
At the end of their article they quoted a Spanish article as source: https://www.motor.es/noticias/nuevos...bmw-m2-cs.html.

That Spanish article mainly recaps, almost word for word, all the recent info stated in the first post of this thread, with three exceptions:
  • claimed maximum power output of 405 hp: ("Como ya te hemos contado en algunas ocasiones, el nuevo BMW M2 CS montará el motor de gasolina S55 de 3.0 litros con una potencia máxima de 405 CV y que supone un incremento de 40 CV en comparación con el M2 convencional que monta el motor de gasolina TwinPower Turbo de seis cilindros en lÃ*nea N55 que homologa una potencia de 370 CV.").
    However, 370 hp + 40 hp = 410 hp. As a matter of fact, the "302" kW figure of the mystery VIN referenced in the first post of this thread = 405 hp (mech) = 410.6 hp (metric). The Spanish article either mixes up those figures or writes for a US public.
  • claimed limited production of 1000 units and a numbered plaque: likely another mix-up with the rumored 999 figure for the mystery M2 GTS (still uncertain whether that car will ever see the light - no real signs of life yet, if ever). Sources at the German 2erTalk forum indicated last April that the M2 CS isn't supposed to be limited production, which sounds to make sense except if BMW has changed its mind in the meantime. I keep believing unlimited production till M2 end of production (2020).
  • the last paragraph about some changes to front end, rear end and brakes: likely educated guessing.
I could see the logic of limiting CS production if no GTS. Also the factory may have production limits so the CS may be built in batches. If 1000 worldwide then the price will be high. I recall they were going to make 2500 of the 1M but final production was around 6300. So if a true a thousand units would mean this will be a very rare car

From a profit point of view I guess a high price and a profit margin of say 50% on low volume might be as good as 20% on higher volume and lower price and less hassle for the factory

By making it limited they can almost name their own price
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2017, 03:57 AM   #704
Advevo
Banned
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition, E30 M3 DTM

What i really want to know.

Will the LCI stop production and the CS take over.
Or will the LCI still be available next to the CS?
Appreciate 0
Closed Thread