BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > Bimmercode topics

11-05-2017, 02:23 PM   #1299
BAN_M2C
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 991.2 Porsche GT3, BMW E46 M3

Garage List
1987 BMW 325is  [10.00]
2004 BMW X3  [6.50]
2018 Porsche 911 GT3  [10.00]
1974 BMW 2002tii  [10.00]
2004 BMW M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nezil View Post
Help, someone please...

I tried my first coding with BimmerCode this morning. I tried to code out the legal disclaimer, but the coding failed during the update, and left my whole iDrive non-functional.

When I launched BimmerCode again, it offered to 'Restore' the head unit ECU, which I did, and this got back my iDriver, but my Navigation now comes up with a message saying "Connect USB device with correct activation code to start navigation." like this:

I was nervous to code at all, and just my luck, this happens!

Anyone have ANY idea how to fix this?
Open a ticket thru the same app. It allows you to email the App developer whom is very responsive.
      11-05-2017, 03:48 PM   #1300
geogerf
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: MY17 LBB M2

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Help, someone please...

I tried my first coding with BimmerCode this morning. I tried to code out the legal disclaimer, but the coding failed during the update, and left my whole iDrive non-functional.

When I launched BimmerCode again, it offered to 'Restore' the head unit ECU, which I did, and this got back my iDriver, but my Navigation now comes up with a message saying "Connect USB device with correct activation code to start navigation." like this:

I was nervous to code at all, and just my luck, this happens!

Anyone have ANY idea how to fix this?
Try restoring from your original back up. When you tried to update, Bimmercode should have created a backup file in the app. Restore that file.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2017, 03:51 PM   #1301
Nezil
Major
Rep
Drives: LCI '18 6MT M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by geogerf View Post
Try restoring from your original back up. When you tried to update, Bimmercode should have created a backup file in the app. Restore that file.
I think that's what restore does, and that didn't work. I'll try again.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2017, 04:00 PM   #1302
Nezil
Major
Rep

Tried again, and it does remove coding changes, but the Nav error is still there.
Appreciate 1
AndrewC198910903.50
      11-05-2017, 04:50 PM   #1303
Perp
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: '18 M2 MT

Looks like djmonkey had this problem, but don't see what the outcome was. Last I read, he's waited for breakin service to fix.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2017, 05:30 PM   #1304
V.Smurf
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2 LBB DCT (LCI) | X3 30i

Hi Nezil,

I'm really sorry to hear about this ... I'm about to start coding my car (like yours, an LCI), so I'm going to hit the pause on that for a while.
Quote:
I tried to code out the legal disclaimer, but the coding failed during the update, and left my whole iDrive non-functional.
Do you mind expanding on what "the coding failed" means..? Did Bimmercode throw an error, or the car displayed a warning..? Was there a particular step that you took that you think caused the problem...?

I'd have taken exactly the same approach as you - baby steps to confirm that it works as advertised Its difficult to see how such an innocuous update could create such an issue, which I'm sure adds to the frustration

Thank you - and please keep us updated as to what the fix is/was (looking like a dealer re-code)...?

Cheers,
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2017, 09:29 PM   #1305
camilo330i
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i / 2017

BMW 330i / 2017, euro versión

Hi there. I live in Colombia, South América and I just got a brand New Bmw 330i / 2017 with the New engine labeled B48: 2 litres 252 Hp, this model replaced Last year 328i.

I have coded many features with the bimmercode app and vgate adapter like odd and even radio Station numbers, Door Led lights auto on reverse, radio Off when drivers Door open, Window UP no matter if driver Door is opening, auto star stop function disabled, eco pro Mode by default, etc.

But I have not been able to code the increase usb amperage option for the usb cell Phone charger. In my bimmercode app this function is not visible, I have look everywhere and cant find it, I even follow the instructions for this mood posted here and nothing.

All the help related will be very welcome.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2017, 10:20 PM   #1306
Nezil
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by V.Smurf View Post
Do you mind expanding on what "the coding failed" means..? Did Bimmercode throw an error, or the car displayed a warning..? Was there a particular step that you took that you think caused the problem...?
I got to the screen that allows you to make changes in the HU ECU, and set the disclaimer to 'Off', then I backed out of the settings and clicked 'Code', which as I understand it, applies the settings that you've chosen.

The process started, and got about 20% through, and then said 'Coding Failed'. After this I had no iDrive at all.

I tried the 'Restore' function for the HU ECU, and it did get iDrive back, but I had the error.
Quote:
I'd have taken exactly the same approach as you - baby steps to confirm that it works as advertised Its difficult to see how such an innocuous update could create such an issue, which I'm sure adds to the frustration
Indeed it does! Apparently the only thing you can do to fix this is to get what's called an 'FSC Repair Kit'. Apparently this is a set of files that enables many functions in your car, and someone with the appropriate BMW tools can generate this set of files from your VIN number (E-SYS and ISTA cannot do this for HBT-Evo systems like we have). What's really annoying is that apparently you can back this data up with most tools, but BimmerCode doesn't currently do that.
Quote:
Thank you - and please keep us updated as to what the fix is/was (looking like a dealer re-code)...?
I've not had a chance to deal with it yet, but it looks like my only options are to pay a third party for these files, or to head to a dealer and try and explain to them what happened, hoping they don't black list me for future warranty claims, or charge me.

What frustrates me the most, is that when I reached out to the developer about this, his response was:
Hi Neil,
please ask your dealer for the unlock code. This is a known issue with some later BMW firmware imho. The component protection may be active, but this is an easy fix and should be free.

Kind regards
Stephan
The developer should know that reaching out to the dealer is the last thing you want to have to do if you're having coding errors!

I really feel cheated after spending the money on the app, that I now have to spend more than the cost of the app again in order to fix something that could have been prevented if the FSC data had been backed up in the first place.

Given that the developer states that this is a 'known issue', I'm very surprised that a) there isn't a backup solution implemented, and b), that there isn't a warning about the fact that this is not only possible, but a 'known issue'!

Current Performance Mods:
CSF FMIC, ER CP, Fabspeed Cat, Aquamist WMI, GFB DV+, NGK 97506, BM3 (Stage 2 93 OTS), CDV delete, UCP, M2C/M3/M4 Strut Brace, M3/M4 Reinforcement Rings
Appreciate 1
V.Smurf162.00
      11-07-2017, 01:19 AM   #1307
ZPrime
I INDIC8
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 LBB M2, 6MT

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [9.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by camilo330i View Post
Hi there. I live in Colombia, South América and I just got a brand New Bmw 330i / 2017 with the New engine labeled B48: 2 litres 252 Hp, this model replaced Last year 328i.

I have coded many features with the bimmercode app and vgate adapter like odd and even radio Station numbers, Door Led lights auto on reverse, radio Off when drivers Door open, Window UP no matter if driver Door is opening, auto star stop function disabled, eco pro Mode by default, etc.

But I have not been able to code the increase usb amperage option for the usb cell Phone charger. In my bimmercode app this function is not visible, I have look everywhere and cant find it, I even follow the instructions for this mood posted here and nothing.

All the help related will be very welcome.
You're posting on a 2-series board, specifically the M2. You might want to head over here. Some things between your 3-series and our 2er might be similar, but coding is going to be different between the cars so you probably want to ask people who have a 3er.
I'm also a fan of aural pleasure.
Appreciate 1
AndrewC198910903.50
      11-07-2017, 05:11 AM   #1308
XProject
Private
Rep
Drives: Car

It seems some users are getting an error while coding with bimmercode. I was thinking about coding it this week. How can I prevent it from happening?

Nezil any luck?
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2017, 06:57 AM   #1309
PackPride85
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2

Take it to the dealer and just tell them when you turned it on one morning that popped up and won't go away. Also mention you've seen it before but letting the car sit and restarting had fixed it. They'll probably think it needs the firmware updated.

I had a bunch of weird idrive errors the first week I brought home the car and hadn't touched coding yet (sound output not working, idrive screen not detecting unit, etc...).
Appreciate 2
FSociety3810.00
      11-07-2017, 07:31 AM   #1310
boostm3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: '18 LBB M2 6MT Exec

Nezil, Im so sorry you had this problem, but so thankful you let us know! Ive paid for the app and the OBDII interface, however have been reluctant to pull the trigger on any coding because I feared exactly this type of scenario. My dealer, like most, doesnt look kindly on customers hacking into the ecus with non approved software, and the last thing Id want be is in a position where I had to do let them know what I've been up to. So based on that, I decided to order the Technicpnp asd bypass harness instead which seemed safer to me and less intrusive, and less likely to cause downstream problems.

In addition, if its a 'known factor' that some models will fault this way from using the Bimmercode software, I think its a serious oversight to not notify the users and issue a proviso that there may be these problems resulting from its use.

I very much hope you can get this fixed without anymore untoward stress, but am very appreciative youve let know of us of these potential problems
      11-07-2017, 09:52 AM   #1311
gmzanatta
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: LBB 6MT M2 # 660/713

What version of the adapter are you using? Wifi V2? Keep in mind you should not be using bluetooth for this.

As for the issues, that's why I always only code the regular stuff. Once you start getting into removing legal disclaimers, seatbelt chimes, etc., you're getting into legal liability territory as you're modifying legal disclaimers that BMW was ordered to put into place. I wouldn't be surprised if they now have a way to flag these changes vs something simple like folding mirrors.

A dealer is way more likely to play nice if you only made small changes, but if you're removing legal stuff, removing CEL's, etc., basically anything that can void a warranty, they will be much more wary.

That's my experience anyway but YMMV.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2017, 02:39 PM   #1312
AndrewC1989
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 328d xDrive

Garage List
Is there anyway to restore everything back to factory settings? Would you just load the first back up ever made to do this?
Appreciate 1
      11-07-2017, 03:06 PM   #1313
boostm3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewc89 View Post
Is there anyway to restore everything back to factory settings? Would you just load the first back up ever made to do this?
Read post 1260 above.. He tried that; didnt work for him.
      11-07-2017, 04:59 PM   #1314
AndrewC1989
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by boostm3 View Post
Read post 1260 above.. He tried that; didnt work for him.
He said it did restore all his old settings but didn't fix the GPS problem he's having. Two separate things.
Appreciate 1
      11-07-2017, 05:01 PM   #1315
boostm3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewc89 View Post
He said it did restore all his old settings but didn't fix the GPS problem he's having. Two separate things.
If it restored ALL his old settings, then why is there now a problem accessing the Navigation system requiring an access code?
      11-07-2017, 05:05 PM   #1316
AndrewC1989
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by boostm3 View Post
If it restored ALL his old settings, then why is there now a problem accessing the Navigation system requiring an access code?
i don't know enough about coding to know why, but clearly something went wrong while he was coding and the backups didn't resolve it. For the rest of us without this issue i just wanted to know how to restore factory settings and the way to do that is to use the 1st backup. i'm not trying to solve his issue. i was asking my own question.
Appreciate 1
      11-07-2017, 05:39 PM   #1317
F87_LCI
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2018 LBB F87

Quote:
Tried again, and it does remove coding changes, but the Nav error is still there.
What's the word Nezil? Did you resolve your issue? Car is set to arrive any day now and I already have my iCar2 dongle and the app ready to go...but reading posts like these make me nervous!!!

Update if you have one would be great, thx.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2017, 08:05 PM   #1318
Nezil
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmzanatta View Post
What version of the adapter are you using? Wifi V2? Keep in mind you should not be using bluetooth for this.
Yes, I'm using the WiFi v2 Dongle.
Quote:
As for the issues, that's why I always only code the regular stuff. Once you start getting into removing legal disclaimers, seatbelt chimes, etc., you're getting into legal liability territory as you're modifying legal disclaimers that BMW was ordered to put into place. I wouldn't be surprised if they now have a way to flag these changes vs something simple like folding mirrors.

A dealer is way more likely to play nice if you only made small changes, but if you're removing legal stuff, removing CEL's, etc., basically anything that can void a warranty, they will be much more wary.

That's my experience anyway but YMMV.
I wouldn't have thought that removing the disclaimer would be considered not 'regular'. I get that it's a legal disclaimer, but the fact that there's a coding capability for it suggests that in some regions, the disclaimer must not be required.

When I said I was starting off small, I meant not making potentially big changes like getting Euro MDM or changing the headlight behaviour for No Glare High Beam etc.

CSF FMIC, ER CP, Fabspeed Cat, Aquamist WMI, GFB DV+, NGK 97506, BM3 (Stage 2 93 OTS), CDV delete, UCP, M2C/M3/M4 Strut Brace, M3/M4 Reinforcement Rings
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2017, 08:10 PM   #1319
Nezil
Major
Rep

So as an update. I ended up paying $65 to a guy recommended on Bimmerfest.com forums. It was extremely painless, except for the money I had to pay, and he was very helpful and extremely prompt.

The solution was to get a file that contains the unlock code and simply plug this in to USB. Within seconds I had Navigation back, and it's been fine ever since.

The only complication as I understand it, is that you have to have access to a BMW tool / server in order to get this file. As long as you have the VIN, and these tools, you can get the file and everything will be up and running again.

As I said initially, I feel that BimmerCode should have a means to back up this (and other FSC) files on first connect, just in case this happens again. The very fact that there is someone out there charging $65 for this service shows that it happens frequently enough that they feel they can make a bit of extra cash!

So my car is fixed, but I'm $65 out of pocket. I'm still pretty annoyed, but the fact that my brand new car is working again eases the pain a little.

Appreciate 2
boostm3683.00
V.Smurf162.00
      11-07-2017, 08:14 PM   #1320
Nezil
Major
Rep

Sorry guys, I've been busy looking after kids and trying to work on my car, and real work at the same time!

I've posted an update in the other thread - here.

In summary... My car is fixed, but I'm $65 out of pocket. I'm still pretty annoyed, but the fact that my brand new car is working again eases the pain a little.

Appreciate 1
boostm3683.00