BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Discussions > What are you guys doing for paint protection? XPEL doesn't have pattern yet.

04-04-2016, 01:55 PM   #45
335BOY
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 SQ5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Makman View Post
2300? wtf, you can almost repaint the whole car for that...wtf
I really dont get that stuff. For $2300 you can repaint a hood and bumper AND youre not waxing plastic. With wrap you cant do anything to enhance finish. Like plastic on your couch IMO.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2016, 02:25 PM   #46
atxsk8r
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335BOY View Post
I really dont get that stuff. For $2300 you can repaint a hood and bumper AND youre not waxing plastic. With wrap you cant do anything to enhance finish. Like plastic on your couch IMO.
Plastic on the couch?!? Awww yeah, going ghetto lol

I'm doing nothing to protect the paint. You drive it on the street so it's gonna get beat up. Also i would just get the bumper repainted if too many chips, a lot cheaper but i lease cars so i won't be doing that
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2016, 06:33 PM   #47
swilliams
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 LBB M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335BOY View Post
Color matching certain metal flake paint is very hard. I was shown a color swatch booklet filled with just variants of Subaru World Rally Blue.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2016, 04:56 PM   #48
cole3488
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 m3

I have a question for everyone. Is it better to have the dealership do this or to have a 3rd party vender? Thanks in advance.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2016, 05:44 PM   #49
Pyrat 2
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Rapidly from A to B

Garage List
I was intrigued when someone said to look at the expel Trac wrap. Then I looked at the price. Do people really buy that stuff. I'm sure it's wonderful but years ago my friend recommended this from target. Many of the drivers at his local pcna use it. I've been using it too now for years and others at my track sessions are now picking up on it. Price is right and I've never had an issue with it. Comes right off and leaves no residue. It's great for a weekend at the track. Rain or shine. After that I take it off. It may be good for something temporary if you don't want to go bare.

http://m.target.com/p/con-tact-brand...4/-/A-11172260
      04-05-2016, 07:21 PM   #50
swilliams
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 LBB M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeelToe View Post
I was intrigued when someone said to look at the expel Trac wrap. Then I looked at the price. Do people really buy that stuff. I'm sure it's wonderful but years ago my friend recommended this from target. Many of the drivers at his local pcna use it. I've been using it too now for years and others at my track sessions are now picking up on it. Price is right and I've never had an issue with it. Comes right off and leaves no residue. It's great for a weekend at the track. Rain or shine. After that I take it off. It may be good for something temporary if you don't want to go bare.

I'd never thought of that stuff! Thanks for the idea. Should be perfect for Euro Delivery.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2016, 07:24 PM   #51
///M2-PILOT
M2 PILOT
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 ///M2 HEA LBB M-DCT

Quote:

I'll definetly have to ch ck this out. May be perfect for the ride home
      04-06-2016, 05:42 PM   #52
cole3488
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 m3

What is everyone going to cover xpel wise? I am planning on doing the front bumper front fender, lights and the whole hood. I would appreciate any input on what everyone is doing. I don't want to spend the money to do the whole car.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2016, 07:45 PM   #53
blackholescion
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: MG M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by cole3488 View Post
What is everyone going to cover xpel wise? I am planning on doing the front bumper front fender, lights and the whole hood. I would appreciate any input on what everyone is doing. I don't want to spend the money to do the whole car.
I am doing the whole car since this is the first really nice car I'm owning (coming from an STi which I guess is nice but it's still an econobox). I also plan on keeping the car for a long time so I might as well keep it as nice as possible.

If you don't want to do the whole car, do the rear flares as well as the leading edge of the roof. There's been reports of pitting on the rear flares because they're wider than the front of the car so rock chips and the like.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2016, 03:04 AM   #54
Prodigy.
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: ///M2

Quote:

Wow does that stuff really work on a car, have rolls of the stuff at home as we use it to cover the kids school books.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackholescion View Post
If you don't want to do the whole car, do the rear flares as well as the leading edge of the roof. There's been reports of pitting on the rear flares because they're wider than the front of the car so rock chips and the like.
The area at the front of the rear flares have a clear film already installed from the factory.
Appreciate 2
      04-07-2016, 08:53 AM   #55
AlexCirci
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: LBB M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prodigy. View Post
Wow does that stuff really work on a car, have rolls of the stuff at home as we use it to cover the kids school books.
Quote:

I'm curious as well.. Would it hold up against little rocks? How thick is it? In my experience the blue painters tape is good because it is thicker material so if rocks/gravel hit it, it won't scratch through.
      04-07-2016, 09:37 AM   #56
saint3448
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2019 Sunset Orange M2C

I bought a can of road warrior (roll on temporary protection) - all the Harley guys swear by it.

Has anyone used it before?
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2016, 08:41 PM   #57
Pyrat 2
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Rapidly from A to B

Garage List
Never seen this stuff. Has anyone used it. Looks like a pita to take off though.
      04-07-2016, 10:41 PM   #58
MTHRAR
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by confusion View Post
I have an HEA car sitting at the port so I'm hopeful that I'll get my car on/around 4/16. I have been talking to XPEL for over a month and, currently, my car will be the car from which the template is made. That's, of course, pending delivery as expected and that I am willing to part with the car for at least a week.

This is a quote from one of my emails:
Do you have an update on your car and a template from Xpel? I'm going to call the guy who is doing my wrap tomorrow to see if he can do something without the template, but I have a feeling it will cost double the going rate due to it being "custom".

I can pick up my car ASAP and I don't think I want to wait weeks to finally take delivery, haha!
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2016, 05:50 PM   #59
confusion
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTHRAR View Post
Do you have an update on your car and a template from Xpel? I'm going to call the guy who is doing my wrap tomorrow to see if he can do something without the template, but I have a feeling it will cost double the going rate due to it being "custom".

I can pick up my car ASAP and I don't think I want to wait weeks to finally take delivery, haha!
Nothing definitive. My car is supposedly going to be released from the port on 4/10. It's coming from Galveston and shipping to Temple (an hour north of Austin) so it should be two days tops once it's released. The expectation is that I will be able to take delivery on 4/16. I'm waiting on the official word that it is en route before scheduling a drop-off with XPEL. XPEL is based in San Antonio and has a local shop here in Austin so I will definitely be going with them. I'll post any info I get once I know more.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2016, 05:56 PM   #60
MTHRAR
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Nothing definitive. My car is supposedly going to be released from the port on 4/10. It's coming from Galveston and shipping to Temple (an hour north of Austin) so it should be two days tops once it's released. The expectation is that I will be able to take delivery on 4/16. I'm waiting on the official word that it is en route before scheduling a drop-off with XPEL. XPEL is based in San Antonio and has a local shop here in Austin so I will definitely be going with them. I'll post any info I get once I know more.
No problem. I'm actually going to be taking delivery of my car on Monday and then having it custom wrapped with Xpel. I didn't really want to wait 3+ weeks to have my car, so I decided to call around and found someone who has experience with Cad cutouts of Xpel Ultimate material. Thank you for the update though.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2016, 06:00 PM   #61
confusion
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
No problem. I'm actually going to be taking delivery of my car on Monday and then having it custom wrapped with Xpel. I didn't really want to wait 3+ weeks to have my car, so I decided to call around and found someone who has experience with Cad cutouts of Xpel Ultimate material. Thank you for the update though.
Cool. You doing Ultimate or Stealth? I'm planning on getting Stealth.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2016, 07:03 PM   #62
MTHRAR
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Cool. You doing Ultimate or Stealth? I'm planning on getting Stealth.
I really want to do stealth with LBB, but I don't want to pay 4-5K to get it wrapped in full. I am just getting ultimate in a front clip with rear rockers probably.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2016, 10:00 PM   #63
confusion
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I really want to do stealth with LBB, but I don't want to pay 4-5K to get it wrapped in full. I am just getting ultimate in a front clip with rear rockers probably.
Nice. Yeah, it's pricey for sure.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2016, 07:16 PM   #64
MTHRAR
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Ok, I bought two rolls of this stuff...less than $13 at target, haha. I am using it to transport my car from my dealership to the place that will wrap my car with Xpel...
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2016, 08:07 PM   #65
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

If XPEL, IND or other aftermarket companies want to make a quick buck, they should consider releasing a cut-out template for the M2/X5M/X6M rear reflectors in a dark tinted foil (blackline treatment).
      04-11-2016, 01:56 PM   #66
kovsky
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2, finally

I'm sitting here at the window tint shop and asked them to check to see if the xpel pattern is there for the M2. It's in their system he showed it to me on their computer they use to cut it.. I'm having them install it tomorrow.
Appreciate 0