BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > S55 Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning > Noelle Warranty: Requires Crank Hub Fix

12-23-2019, 07:58 AM   #1
DriverDaily
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition

Noelle Warranty: Requires Crank Hub Fix

Last week I heard about the Noelle tune here. I already have the basic Dinan plus tune, but when I found I could get 500+ whp without losing a factory matching warranty and without a Dinan branded intercooler, I had to investigate.

I found a local reputable shop that was a Noelle dealer, told them of my Dinan tune, and inquired about Noelle. The shop told me there was no issue. I could keep my warranty and they could tune without removing the ECU from the car. So, I made an appointment for January 2nd.

A few days later, the shop emailed and indicated there would be a delay. Noelle needed to ship them a special $16,000 Bosch DME tool, of which they only had 2 in the country, in order to program the latest locked ecus. That was okay with me, so we moved the install to January 6th.

Today, I got an email indicating that, because I had an S55, I would also need to have a crank bolt capture installed. This was where I draw the line, I will be sticking with my Dinan tune and going back to my original plan of finding a way to remove the "DINAN" logo and wordmark from the Dinan intercooler.

In summary:
  • To my knowledge there is no 'key' BMW has given to Noelle out of their affiliation with Alpina, they just use a very expensive Bosch tool.
  • If you want the Noelle tune with a warranty, you also need to install a crank hub bolt capture.
Attached Images

12-23-2019, 09:20 AM   #2
nioh_lbbm2
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: M2

Very interesting that they also require it on the N55.

But to be fair it does seem reasonable (from
Noelle's POV) to have that solution which potentially reduces possible spunk crank hubs and causing much more of a warranty payout. I suppose Dinan vs Noelle you gotta pay for some prerequisite
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2019, 11:47 AM   #3
Anthony1s
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2018 Mineral Grey M2

So, there was a thread I commented on in the N55 section about Noelle that got deleted because some guy was being a troll... but there was some other things I noticed in their warranty that doesn't sit well. And I'm looking through it again as I type this...

I didn't notice the crank hub bolt written in their warranty, but it's in their now. Their warranty was revised December 20th, so it seems it was added recently.

The other things I noticed is that their warranty requires you to ONLY USE Liqui Moly oil. Previously they didn't specify an oil brand, but only that you must have the oil changed every 5,000mi and you must have the transmission and diff fluid changed every 40,000mi. Twice as much as the OEM requirements. And that you must provide them with receipts of this or else they will deny warranty coverage.

Additionally, their warranty work will only be carried out at certified Noelle Performance Centers. To which there are only 25 locations in the USA. And a Noelle dealer IS NOT a Performance Center. Meaning just because you find someone that can install the tune, doesn't mean they can do warranty work as well.

The warranty does not cover repair costs to any OEM BMW installed parts that may've been affected by a Noelle component. (I don't recalled seeing this in their warranty a few days ago)

Labor charges for repair or replacement of Noelle products will be reimbursed. Meaning you'll have to front the money to get your car fixed. (I don't recalled seeing this in their warranty a few days ago)

If you had a previous tune on the car from a different company before the Noelle tune, you are ineligible for the warranty. (I don't recalled seeing this in their warranty a few days ago. And OP is ineligible for a warranty since he has the Dinan tune already)

If you install an aftermarket downpipe or have had an aftermarket downpipe installed in the past (or have the emissions control system modified in any way), you are ineligible for the warranty. (I don't recalled seeing this in their warranty a few days ago)

If your vehicles was registered in a competitive event before the tune, as well as if your vehicle is registered in a competitive event after the tune, your warranty is void.

There was also some article in Road and Track or something that said in order for Noelle to issue a warranty, they must first contact BMW and let them know they are tuning your car.

Judging by OP that there is only two DME programming devices in the entire country... Good luck getting warranty work done in a timely manner. God forbid the device is being used elsewhere while your car needs it.

Last edited by Anthony1s; 12-23-2019 at 12:44 PM..
Appreciate 4
nioh_lbbm21716.50
Poochie9099.00
AndrewC198910903.50
Altra265.50
      12-23-2019, 12:11 PM   #4
pz619
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: F87 M2C 6MT, Tesla 3

I think I’m out now. The whole thing seemed fishy from the start and every time I turn around there is a new condition or excuse. At this point I have confidence they’ll actually cover something if the worst is to happen.
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2019, 12:46 PM   #5
BLOJOE
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 LBB M2

Uhhh we know about the S55 crank hub issue so in some respects seems like a prudent move/recommendation for them but this is the first time I have heard about an "N55 crank hub issue".

I've heard about N55 charge pipe issues...

Yeah some of this is not adding up - just wish there were more early adopters or folks in Europe that could respond or review the tune for the both the N55 and S55.

So for me =
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2019, 01:19 PM   #6
waldrops
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Aaaaaaand that confirms it - Noelle is no longer on my consideration list.

Called Carbahn directly and spoke to the coolest guy ever. He goes,"yeah man no fishy stuff, if the dealer denies repair, have them call us and we'll work out the repair with them. You pay no out of pocket because we pay the dealer directly." He then took the time to explain the entire process to me in detail.

I'm pretty much sold on Carbahn and am convinced Noelle was always too good to be true
Appreciate 3
pz6193274.00
hz101169.50
      12-23-2019, 01:31 PM   #7
akkando
Major General
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 DCT LBB,11 e90 M3 ZCP IB

Quote:
Originally Posted by nioh_lbbm2 View Post
Very interesting that they also require it on the N55.

But to be fair it does seem reasonable (from
Noelle's POV) to have that solution which potentially reduces possible spunk crank hubs and causing much more of a warranty payout. I suppose Dinan vs Noelle you gotta pay for some prerequisite
Rather have the bolt capture than the dinan intercooler.
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2019, 02:26 PM   #8
pz619
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: F87 M2C 6MT, Tesla 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by waldrops View Post
Aaaaaaand that confirms it - Noelle is no longer on my consideration list.

Called Carbahn directly and spoke to the coolest guy ever. He goes,"yeah man no fishy stuff, if the dealer denies repair, have them call us and we'll work out the repair with them. You pay no out of pocket because we pay the dealer directly." He then took the time to explain the entire process to me in detail.

I'm pretty much sold on Carbahn and am convinced Noelle was always too good to be true
Similar thoughts. Think I'm going to go the carbahn route when I'm ready.
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2019, 01:50 AM   #9
btbossman
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 335xi M sport--2014 M6

I had the bolt capture and Tune installed today. Took about 6 hours total.

It is unbelievable. I drove 300 miles just now back home and it is easily 550 whp/wtq. The car does unbelievable speed very quickly.

The single best car tune I’ve ever felt. Definitely need to have it dynod.

Shout out to Ron and to Chris at JCL in PA. Top notch dude and a great shop. Plus nothing but twisty roads for miles 360 degrees around this place.

If I didn’t hit a piece of tire on the way to getting it installed, cracking my bumper, this would definitely be the best day ever!

Last edited by btbossman; 12-24-2019 at 07:41 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2019, 10:27 PM   #10
NOS4A2
Private
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2c

Quote:
Originally Posted by btbossman View Post
I had the bolt capture and Tune installed today. Took about 6 hours total.

It is unbelievable. I drove 300 miles just now back home and it is easily 550 whp/wtq. The car does unbelievable speed very quickly.

The single best car tune I’ve ever felt. Definitely need to have it dynod.

Shout out to Ron and to Chris at JCL in PA. Top notch dude and a great shop. Plus nothing but twisty roads for miles 360 degrees around this place.

If I didn’t hit a piece of tire on the way to getting it installed, cracking my bumper, this would definitely be the best day ever!
Great to hear! Can't wait for results on dyne and curious as to what the plate ended up running you in addition to the tune.
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2019, 11:26 AM   #11
btbossman
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOS4A2 View Post
Great to hear! Can't wait for results on dyne and curious as to what the plate ended up running you in addition to the tune.
With tune,labor, and the parts, and an oil change to the heavier recommended oil I was at 3200. Best 3k I’ve ever spent. I’ll have about 1k miles on it by Friday, and will put it side by side against my dads m5c later today. Review coming soon.

Merry Christmas!
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2019, 06:48 AM   #12
btbossman
Banned
United_States
Rep

Well. The car pulls on the m5c. Also drove it against a 15 turbo S which pulled on both of us from all positions.

From a dig or 5mph roll the m5 still wins to around 100mph which was when it was brakes time. On the highway from 60 or 80 mph starting in 3rd or 4th gear. It pulled one the m5C every time. I’m going to go ahead and believe these advertised 93 octane figures. This thing is now a rocket ship. The most merry of Christmas’s this was indeed!
Appreciate 1
VIERsr2620.50
      12-26-2019, 12:57 PM   #13
ssabripo
HALA MADRID!
United_States
Rep
Drives: camels & donkeys

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony1s View Post
So, there was a thread I commented on in the N55 section about Noelle that got deleted because some guy was being a troll... but there was some other things I noticed in their warranty that doesn't sit well. And I'm looking through it again as I type this...

I didn't notice the crank hub bolt written in their warranty, but it's in their now. Their warranty was revised December 20th, so it seems it was added recently.

The other things I noticed is that their warranty requires you to ONLY USE Liqui Moly oil. Previously they didn't specify an oil brand, but only that you must have the oil changed every 5,000mi and you must have the transmission and diff fluid changed every 40,000mi. Twice as much as the OEM requirements. And that you must provide them with receipts of this or else they will deny warranty coverage.

Additionally, their warranty work will only be carried out at certified Noelle Performance Centers. To which there are only 25 locations in the USA. And a Noelle dealer IS NOT a Performance Center. Meaning just because you find someone that can install the tune, doesn't mean they can do warranty work as well.

The warranty does not cover repair costs to any OEM BMW installed parts that may've been affected by a Noelle component. (I don't recalled seeing this in their warranty a few days ago)

Labor charges for repair or replacement of Noelle products will be reimbursed. Meaning you'll have to front the money to get your car fixed. (I don't recalled seeing this in their warranty a few days ago)

If you had a previous tune on the car from a different company before the Noelle tune, you are ineligible for the warranty. (I don't recalled seeing this in their warranty a few days ago. And OP is ineligible for a warranty since he has the Dinan tune already)

If you install an aftermarket downpipe or have had an aftermarket downpipe installed in the past (or have the emissions control system modified in any way), you are ineligible for the warranty. (I don't recalled seeing this in their warranty a few days ago)

If your vehicles was registered in a competitive event before the tune, as well as if your vehicle is registered in a competitive event after the tune, your warranty is void.

There was also some article in Road and Track or something that said in order for Noelle to issue a warranty, they must first contact BMW and let them know they are tuning your car.

Judging by OP that there is only two DME programming devices in the entire country... Good luck getting warranty work done in a timely manner. God forbid the device is being used elsewhere while your car needs it.
well put

I wonder how many of these points also apply to Dinan's "warranty"

F87 M2 Competition, Sunset Orange, Exc, DCT.
**SOLD** F80 M3 Mineral Grey/Sakir Orange, Exc, DCT... ED 6/2015
**SOLD**E90 M3, Interlagos Blue / M individual two-tone, ZCP, ZP2, ZCV, DCT, ED.
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2019, 04:54 PM   #14
btbossman
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssabripo View Post
well put

I’m curious as well.

From my convo Ron made it clear as long as you don’t alter the car to work outside it’s designed parameters like adding DPs or abuse the car at the track or what not, you’re covered.

I’m of the mind that I would never track a personal car especially my DD, nor do I want my car ever smelling like poison,but I know others are different.

The change in the vehicle is just remarkable. The power gain is far more then any tune for f8x I’ve ever felt with DP and a bunch of other BS mods, so to me the decision simply came down to the fact that I didn’t hav to change anything and they have a warranty.

The speed and power is great but even more notable, the traction control is SO much better, the top 4 gears feel longer and the car simply feels like an entirely different machine.

I get that it’s new. But the truth is the tune has far exceeded my expectations, and I have faith in the team behind it. These guys have been around the block and clearly have the most superior tuning option available.

Another forum member drove with me today and his jaw was on the floor.

A year or 2 from now we’ll all be laughing at the people using the subpar options to save a couple grand. This is a game changer.
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2019, 04:56 PM   #15
ssabripo
HALA MADRID!
United_States
Rep
Drives: camels & donkeys

Quote:
I’m curious as well.

From my convo Ron made it clear as long as you don’t alter the car to work outside it’s designed parameters like adding DPs or abuse the car at the track or what not, you’re covered.

I’m of the mind that I would never track a personal car especially my DD, nor do I want my car ever smelling like poison,but I know others are different.

The change in the vehicle is just remarkable. The power gain is far more then any tune for f8x I’ve ever felt with DP and a bunch of other BS mods, so to me the decision simply came down to the fact that I didn’t hav to change anything and they have a warranty.

The speed and power is great but even more notable, the traction control is SO much better, the top 4 gears feel longer and the car simply feels like an entirely different machine.

I get that it’s new. But the truth is the tune has far exceeded my expectations, and I have faith in the team behind it. These guys have been around the block and clearly have the most superior tuning option available.

A year or 2 from now we’ll all be laughing at the people using the subpar options to save a couple grand. This is a game changer.
I don't know if I would call it "subpar" to save $2k, specially if you are not pushing the car to its limits. A stage 1 BM3 or even the Dinan +80rwhp one (with the HE) will be more than sufficient for most folks even at the limits in the track. 600hp with just a tune I'm sure is unreal - as you seem to attest, and surely it would be great to have those options down here in FL.

competition is good...

F87 M2 Competition, Sunset Orange, Exc, DCT.
**SOLD** F80 M3 Mineral Grey/Sakir Orange, Exc, DCT... ED 6/2015
**SOLD**E90 M3, Interlagos Blue / M individual two-tone, ZCP, ZP2, ZCV, DCT, ED.
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2019, 05:25 PM   #16
akkando
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssabripo View Post
well put

I’m curious as well.

Is it really abuse to take an M car to the track?
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2019, 06:21 PM   #17
btbossman
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by akkando View Post
I would argue yes. Race cars are for race tracks. Road cars can work, but will never be quite as good as the real thing.

I generally rent/do car inclusive packages though. Can’t beat that arrangement in my mind.
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2019, 06:21 PM   #18
NOS4A2
Private
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2c

Thanks for taking me on a ride btbossman !

Stranger's impression:
The midrange and and top end I felt the car pull like a savage. I'd love to see it does on video against the stock car and others in more favorable (70+ deg) weather. Low end from my perspective, still felt composed and streetable.

I'm not really anyone special on this forum (as evident by post count and history) but the power it was making and how it built up made the butt dyno insanely happy.

If I had to nitpick from my experience it would be:
* ran out of road
* not enough time in car

Other than that I wish the distribution network had more/closer shops, but I'm seriously considering taking the plunge.

Thanks again btbossman !
Appreciate 1
pz6193274.00
      12-26-2019, 08:21 PM   #19
akkando
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
I would argue yes. Race cars are for race tracks. Road cars can work, but will never be quite as good as the real thing.

I generally rent/do car inclusive packages though. Can’t beat that arrangement in my mind.
I was not saying a BMW m car is better for the track than a race car.

There are good reasons to drive someone else's car at the track like not having to worry about putting it into a wall or prepping you street car for the track.

Why would you say someone who has taken their M car to the track is abusing their car?
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2019, 09:20 PM   #20
btbossman
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I was not saying a BMW m car is better for the track than a race car.

There are good reasons to drive someone else's car at the track like not having to worry about putting it into a wall or prepping you street car for the track.

Why would you say someone who has taken their M car to the track is abusing their car?
I think there is a reason race cars need special components and extreme maintenance to do their intended job compared to road cars. I personally don’t believe you can have an utterly reliable road car if you take it to the track as well. Cars are property and everyone should do as they wish. That’s what toys are for. Just don’t blame anyone but yourself when you set it on fire after a day or many days of non stop pushing a car to the limit.

I don’t blame them for not wanting to cover people, I guess is the point. BMW would void your shit too if you’re abusing the car and making a warranty claim. It’s simply a smart business decision.
Appreciate 1
M2C89407.50
      04-05-2020, 11:55 AM   #21
akant540
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: snapper rock f90 m5 comp

so i live in jersey and was planning on doing noelle also... I have my car at shop installing jb4 but this is something i might be interested...Is it really worth it? How long did it take to install
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2020, 08:41 PM   #22
Thescout13
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '20 F80 M3CS, %E2%80%9818 GT3

Quote:
Originally Posted by akant540 View Post
so i live in jersey and was planning on doing noelle also... I have my car at shop installing jb4 but this is something i might be interested...Is it really worth it? How long did it take to install
No. Don't. Run. Their warranty has so many carveouts and exceptions, it's almost scam like. Search Noelle on here and their are multiple threads. Do yourself a favor and go with BM3. And if you want a warranty, hard to beat CarBahn (Steve Dinan's new company). But that's just my 2 cents.
Wife's Prior Car: 2018 F80 M3, Yas Marina Blue, DCT, Black 19s, Carbon Structure Anthracite Cloth/Leather Combination, Driving Assistance Package (Euro Delivery Oct. 9, 2017)
Appreciate 1
nioh_lbbm21716.50