BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 CS Model > BMW M2 CS Gets 450 HP (Specs and Info From Exclusive Preview Event)

09-20-2019, 06:21 AM   #221
W///
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: F82GTS, E36/E92M3, Z4M

I'm jealous of the guys that are able to get a GT4. I will say however, they start at $100k. My build, which was pretty conservative, came out to $110k. I don't even see them as the same category, price wise.

As a matter of fact, my good friend had the 981 GT4 (sold it for an F430) and was debating on getting this one. The big jump in price for the 718 turned him off completely, considering it's not THAT much better than the 981.
07 E85 Z4M Roadster, Alpine White/Red, 6MT
99 E36 M3, Techno Violet/Dove Grey, 6MT
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2019, 06:47 AM   #222
medphysdave
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 CS | 85 of 592

I'm still planning to put a CS in the garage. My opinion is that it's already showing to be quite capable. For those that want a track toy, and two seats is acceptable. I'm not really sure why they would be looking at this and not purpose build sports car. Especially when a majority are happy with modding. Get a used cayman and start modding. Or the new Supra. A modded Supra will likely run circles around the CS. Or a C8 z51.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2019, 06:50 AM   #223
RPM33
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2 CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3GymNut View Post
I get you, but going from an OG M2 to an M2CS is a pretty big jump even if it's a different version of the same car. I'm pretty sure if you make that jump it'll feel like 2 totally different cars.
I'm in the same boat. Going from an OG M2 to a CS is a horsepower increase of 85. It will feel like a different car. I like the CS for what it is, a more advanced version of the car I have now.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2019, 08:01 AM   #224
F87_LCI
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2018 LBB F87

Quote:
Originally Posted by W/// View Post
I'm jealous of the guys that are able to get a GT4. I will say however, they start at $100k. My build, which was pretty conservative, came out to $110k. I don't even see them as the same category, price wise.
My spec came to about CAD $130 (so about USD $100), which is quite a jump from the base price of CAD $114. Was hoping that if I spec up the car a bit that it might increase my odds of getting one, but didn't' want to go too crazy as if I was to sell it down the road you never get your $ back on "upgrades"...so agree these two aren't necessarily in the same price category, but then again...one of them is a GT4

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris719 View Post
For me, no fold down rear seat kind of takes the M2 CS out of contention. I rarely use the back seats for people; no one wants to sit in the back of a small coupe anyway. The fold down seats are really useful if it's your only car. If it's not your only car, then the GT4 is just a better buy.
Not really using my rear seats now (see pic ), so not an issue for me, but I get where you are coming from if you use them...

Attached Images

Appreciate 2
W///7468.50
clee1982797.50
      09-20-2019, 09:41 AM   #225
twin fed
Doc Brown
Rep
Drives: 2016 MG MT M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3GymNut View Post
I get you, but going from an OG M2 to an M2CS is a pretty big jump even if it's a different version of the same car. I'm pretty sure if you make that jump it'll feel like 2 totally different cars.
I get it. Not that my car is M2CS caliber, but it is pretty heavily modified at this point so it would not be like I was going from a stock OGM2 to a M2CS. The difference would be negligible.

Appreciate 0
      09-20-2019, 10:10 AM   #226
medphysdave
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 CS | 85 of 592

I think the guys that modded their cars are golden, and agree that the CS is tailored towards peak efficiency of the platform without having to mod. Building your own car is very rewarding and can be very reliable. Buying someone else's modded car can be problematic. The issue is that you never really know what you're getting, but are hoping the owner did everything without cutting corners. In this price range the CS brings me piece of mind and the desired performance.
Appreciate 2
clee1982797.50
Franzino860.00
      09-20-2019, 10:21 AM   #227
RPM33
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by medphysdave View Post
I think the guys that modded their cars are golden, and agree that the CS is tailored towards peak efficiency of the platform without having to mod. Building your own car is very rewarding and can be very reliable. Buying someone else's modded car can be problematic. The issue is that you never really know what you're getting, but are hoping the owner did everything without cutting corners. In this price range the CS brings me piece of mind and the desired performance.
I agree with you Dave. Plus it should hold value given it is a limited edition. I'm not someone who would ever mod a car as well due to lack of knowledge and fear of voiding warranty. Would rather pay to buy a more powerful car out of the box.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2019, 03:07 PM   #228
AlpsRider
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition, LBB, 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPM33 View Post
I agree with you Dave. Plus it should hold value given it is a limited edition. I'm not someone who would ever mod a car as well due to lack of knowledge and fear of voiding warranty. Would rather pay to buy a more powerful car out of the box.
These are all valid considerations. A $25k price difference will buy at least 1.5 engines. The CS could end up being a collector car or maybe not. It may drop in price much closer to the M2C...ya never know. I wouldn't count on a 1M value curve though.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2019, 10:35 PM   #229
mhanism
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C

Any word re: retuned/calibrated EPS, MDM for the CS?
MY14 335i M Sport (Sold)
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2019, 08:02 PM   #230
JCZ5
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 (G05)

It really surprised me the back seats do not fold down. How much extra weight are fold down seats lol.

Like others have said, this is going to be a match up between the GT4. And even if GT4 is slightly more expensive when all said and done, it will perform much better. However, the GT4 is not limited, so I'm sure Porsche will produce many more trying to capitalize on that market.

Let's see what November brings
      09-21-2019, 08:17 PM   #231
F87_LCI
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCZ5 View Post
It really surprised me the back seats do not fold down. How much extra weight are fold down seats lol.

Like others have said, this is going to be a match up between the GT4. And even if GT4 is slightly more expensive when all said and done, it will perform much better. However, the GT4 is not limited, so I'm sure Porsche will produce many more trying to capitalize on that market.

Went into my local Porsche dealer today to "check in" on the situation (aka my lotto ticket). My sales guy told me the GT4 will be produced for 2 years, the second year they will offer the PDK and that dealers have be told that they will produce "as many as are needed". So to your point, clearly they are not limiting this round of the GT4.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2019, 08:35 PM   #232
Tornado1M
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2cs

Quote:
Originally Posted by F87_LCI View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCZ5 View Post

Went into my local Porsche dealer today to "check in" on the situation (aka my lotto ticket). My sales guy told me the GT4 will be produced for 2 years, the second year they will offer the PDK and that dealers have be told that they will produce "as many as are needed". So to your point, clearly they are not limiting this round of the GT4.
Well, how many of the 2016 GT4's did they make???
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2019, 05:23 PM   #233
RPM33
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kepler View Post
I wouldn't bank on your dealer getting two M2 CS's.
How many do you think each dealer will get Kepler?
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2019, 07:16 PM   #234
arciga18
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: LeMans/ Chestnut E90, RWD

Quote:
Quote:
Interesting. I have a deposit down on both the CS and the new GT4. Decision will be rather simple for me...if I can get the GT4 I will (unlikely as I have never bought from the dealership). If not, I will go for the CS (likely as I am second on the list for over a year and I have bought multiple vehicles from them). Both cars are going to be great and both a step up from my current OG (although it it's current form the CS is less so a step up than the GT4). I still have a few months to wait and see which lottery ticket comes in
I think m certified dealers will get Atleast 1.i know my go to dealer had 4 deposits but isn't taking. Any more

Other dealers I would say you Have to be first to have a shot
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2019, 07:43 PM   #235
F87_LCI
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Interesting. I have a deposit down on both the CS and the new GT4. Decision will be rather simple for me...if I can get the GT4 I will (unlikely as I have never bought from the dealership). If not, I will go for the CS (likely as I am second on the list for over a year and I have bought multiple vehicles from them). Both cars are going to be great and both a step up from my current OG (although it it's current form the CS is less so a step up than the GT4). I still have a few months to wait and see which lottery ticket comes in
They had 2 M4 GTS, and more than a few M4 CS and M3 CS, so they might get get more than one M2CS. The guy who is ahead of me is only there because apparently he puts deposits down on on any speculated special models..way in advance of them even being announced. He bought an M4 GTS, but not an M3 or M4 CS (was on both lists supposedly), so hard to say if he would even take an M2CS. Apparently he also has the #1 spot should BMW decide to make a CSL version of the M2. Either way, looks like the GT4 is an actual possibility, so likely the route I will go.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2019, 01:45 AM   #236
dezzracer
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by chmura View Post
Not really impressed to be honest. They just slapped on a bunch of carbon bits and gave it a tune. Still same car with just a tune. No mention in weigh savings? Probably because there is hardly none. Little bit disappointed..
Here we go again. People said the same thing about the M3CS. But those that had driven both the comp and CS claimed the CS was a significantly better driving car. And that's what counts at the end of the day correct? And let's not even get into the warranty issues when altering factory chassis and engine tunes.
Appreciate 2
Dante467.50
Tornado1M1209.00
      09-23-2019, 03:23 AM   #237
dezzracer
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by f31mtl View Post
Problem is this will just look like an M2. Same with the M3/M4 CS, do you really notice them on the road?
Yes... especially M3.
Appreciate 1
Supadice1027.50
      09-23-2019, 08:00 AM   #238
Hegge
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M2 CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by dezzracer View Post
Yes... especially M3.
It is supposed to look like an M2. The CS is an advanced M2 not a whole different car. If you want a whole new car get another brand.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2019, 08:54 AM   #239
dezzracer
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hegge View Post
Quote:
Yes... especially M3.
It is supposed to look like an M2. The CS is an advanced M2 not a whole different car. If you want a whole new car get another brand.
Exactly..
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2019, 11:58 AM   #240
Supadice
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2CS

I don't know what planet people are on that they think a GT4 is in the same price range as the M2CS, at least in the US. And please let me know whenever people with comps transform them into CS's for 20k with labor. The roof alone is about 12 hours of labor. And the GT4 is gonna be marked up like crazy. I can get a CS at MSRP but not a GT4. I built a GT4 the other day with the options I would want, it came out to 124k $US I have an OG M2 heavily modded I love it, I've driven a Comp I love it, the CS will be the best version of a car that every has loved every version of. The sum of all the parts and them working in unison will create another car everyone loves. Plus the exclusivity factor. If I can get one for 80-85 it's a done deal for me.
      09-23-2019, 12:00 PM   #241
Supadice
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2CS

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hegge View Post
Quote:
Yes... especially M3.
Exactly..
I notice a CS immediately when I see one
      09-23-2019, 12:16 PM   #242
JCZ5
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 (G05)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supadice View Post
I don't know what planet people are on that they think a GT4 is in the same price range as the M2CS, at least in the US. And please let me know whenever people with comps transform them into CS's for 20k with labor. The roof alone is about 12 hours of labor. And the GT4 is gonna be marked up like crazy. I can get a CS at MSRP but not a GT4. I built a GT4 the other day with the options I would want, it came out to 124k $US I have an OG M2 heavily modded I love it, I've driven a Comp I love it, the CS will be the best version of a car that every has loved every version of. The sum of all the parts and them working in unison will create another car everyone loves. Plus the exclusivity factor. If I can get one for 80-85 it's a done deal for me.
On another thread, people were predicting a US MSRP starting at $95K. That is $4K to the GT4 starting price. With add-ons, my GT4 came out to be $115K. M2CS would probably be ~$110K with add-one. And in my mind, they're basically the same price.

Also, as said before, Porsche will produce as much as there is demand. Sure there may be markups in the beginning. But many Porsche dealerships said they will honor MSRP after the initial hype.

I'm more concerned that the M2CS will have ADM with it being actually limited and in production for only 9 months.