BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Discussions > This is not a for sale thread...

02-27-2020, 09:21 PM   #23
silstream
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 LCI Black Shadow Ed.

If you want to save some $ then I'd argue the Focus ST is more fun than a GTI. I've got an AMG GLA 45 right now which is as quick as the M2 and a bit smoother / less raw than the M2 - (I'm only looking to sell mine and get an M2 because I really miss having a manual box).

Last edited by silstream; 02-27-2020 at 09:54 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2020, 06:32 AM   #24
LuvMyE92
Occasionally frequent poster
Rep
Drives: CT5V-Blackwing

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiacomoH View Post
What about a C63 AMG?
Missing a pedal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by silstream View Post
If you want to save some $ then I'd argue the Focus ST is more fun than a GTI.
It's not about the money.
Past: E24,E28(3),E34,E36,E37,E38(2),E39(4),E46,E89,E92 (obviously),F01,F06,F10,F30,F87,G12,G30(2),G82(2)
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2020, 06:57 AM   #25
Gabhart
Private
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2

LuvMyE92 would you consider swapping your exhaust back to stock? You have complained about the MPE for some time. Perhaps that would sway you enough to hang on to the M2? You can drive mine any time to get a better idea of what it's like being stock again. Would hate to lose you as a fellow owner!
Appreciate 2
LuvMyE923000.00
doug_9992541.50
      02-28-2020, 10:01 AM   #26
LuvMyE92
Occasionally frequent poster
Rep
Drives: CT5V-Blackwing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabhart View Post
LuvMyE92 would you consider swapping your exhaust back to stock? You have complained about the MPE for some time. Perhaps that would sway you enough to hang on to the M2? You can drive mine any time to get a better idea of what it's like being stock again. Would hate to lose you as a fellow owner!
Gabhart Thank you, that's a very generous offer! I shall give it some thought.
Past: E24,E28(3),E34,E36,E37,E38(2),E39(4),E46,E89,E92 (obviously),F01,F06,F10,F30,F87,G12,G30(2),G82(2)
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2020, 10:18 AM   #27
dcmac
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '18 LCI M2

What about a Macan Turbo?

No manual, granted, but you get more practicality, more comfort, handles exceptionally well for a car of that type, quiet, and looks pretty nice too if you spec it well.

If I was leaving my M2, I'd be looking into some sort of powerful SUV or wagon that I can take the family around in but still give myself a chuckle when I put the foot down. Like a Trackhawk or X5M or something. Ultimate dream would be an RS6 Avant.

I think after enjoying how dynamic / raw the M2 is, there's not much point in trying to find something to replace that... because I would only be disappointed.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2020, 10:43 AM   #28
F87_LCI
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2018 LBB F87

I have both cars in the Garage (2018 M2 and 2018 GTI -wife's car) having driven both back to back several times, it's no contest. You will miss the M2.
I have MPE, FS DP and running stg 2 tune on the M2 so yes...it is LOUD - just ask my neighbors!. It does drone on the hwy for sure (and I have of course coded out ASD) Also, the car is a bit lower than stock as I have the Ohlins R&T - I recommend these 1000%...so much better than stock ride. I have just turned 50, so I guess I am now old, lol.
I have a DD that I use to do my H.Depot runs that is much more practical than the M2. GLC AMG 43. Gets the job done and is a bit of fun to drive id in Sport+. Maybe consider swapping out your DD rather than the M2?? Or do the suspension swap on your M2, makes the ride so much better.
Appreciate 1
LuvMyE923000.00
      02-28-2020, 12:02 PM   #29
xxyion
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2024 M4 Competition xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by silstream View Post
If you want to save some $ then I'd argue the Focus ST is more fun than a GTI. I've got an AMG GLA 45 right now which is as quick as the M2 and a bit smoother / less raw than the M2 - (I'm only looking to sell mine and get an M2 because I really miss having a manual box).
I'd very much disagree with that statement. I owned a Focus ST and while yes its a fun car, the GTI is by far the superior vehicle. Not to mention the base model GTI comes with an electronic LSD where as the Focus ST only has an open diff. Power delivery in the GTI is more fun and it is faster than the Focus ST by almost a full second with less hp and torque.

And then theres the economics, i regularly got 24 mpg in my FoST, my girlfriend and my best friend both hit 35mpg on the regular. Also base model GTI gets Android Auto and Apple Carplay, Base FoST just gets bluetooth.

Sure you save...what 4k? But you're sacrificing so much.
Appreciate 1
LuvMyE923000.00
      02-28-2020, 05:53 PM   #30
silstream
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 LCI Black Shadow Ed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxyion View Post
I'd very much disagree with that statement. I owned a Focus ST and while yes its a fun car, the GTI is by far the superior vehicle. Not to mention the base model GTI comes with an electronic LSD where as the Focus ST only has an open diff. Power delivery in the GTI is more fun and it is faster than the Focus ST by almost a full second with less hp and torque.

And then theres the economics, i regularly got 24 mpg in my FoST, my girlfriend and my best friend both hit 35mpg on the regular. Also base model GTI gets Android Auto and Apple Carplay, Base FoST just gets bluetooth.

Sure you save...what 4k? But you're sacrificing so much.
Was just throwing out some different options for the OP but clearly hit a nerve. My comparison was a few years ago (long before GTI the got the diff as standard) and for me the Golf was smoother & refined, perhaps felt slower as a result where the Focus felt more raw, engaging and even the torque steer gave it character. Plus at the time the price difference (in terms of what you could actually buy the car for was over $10k). I think both are great cars and the Golf has continued to improve since then where the ST has obviously ceased production for the US market (Europe getting a new version now).
Appreciate 0
      02-29-2020, 11:29 AM   #31
M Fifty
Banned
Rep
Drives: M2 & 330CI

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvMyE92 View Post
... but I'm seriously considering selling the M2.

I'm being honest here. We're all here because we love the car. It's great. I've had Porsches and Corvettes and 4 M5s and an M3 in there somewhere, and each had their charms and warts. The M2 has few warts.

But I'm getting older (aren't we all?) and honestly, the day I got the thing I realized that I may have made a mistake. It's awfully loud, the ride is stiff and that exhaust is just miserable at certain speeds. I could tear out that enormously expensive MPE and put in an aftermarket system that may or may not have the same resonance, but it would likely be louder still. And I'd still have the annoying road noise and stiff ride.

But I do enjoy the way it handles and brakes and all the other things that make the M2 so much better than an M3/M4.

And I spent way too much buying it, so I will take a huge loss selling it.

But life is short, and I like cars, and I've actually kept this one (18 months) longer than many of its predecessors. I am a flipper.

In the back of my mind though, I can't think what I'd replace it with. No more Porsche for me, no more Corvettes, and I don't like where BMW has gone with the other M cars.

I was actually kinda thinking maybe a VW GTI. I don't like FWD and it is nowhere near the M2 in performance. But they are rather inexpensive, very practical for hauling stuff from Home Depot and are fun to drive. My track days are behind me. The Miata popped in my brain too, but it's just too low and small for me.

One reason I'm not going back to Porsche or Corvette is because it's just getting too difficult for me getting in and out of those low cars. And all the big burly trucks around here scare me when I'm in a little car. I know the GTI is kind of little, but it's tall and visible and being German, is probably safer than those alternatives.

I'd still have my 540i as my DD, and it's a great car but it's no M and I do like to row my gears occasionally. The GTI (or whatever replaces the M2) would just be an occasional "toy" car. The amount of traffic, congestion and stupid clueless distracted drivers around here (RTP area of NC) just sucks all of the pleasure out of driving, most days.

Thoughts, comments, opinions?
I decided I was getting on a bit when I realised that - to me - Cadillacs had started to look good...

Last edited by M Fifty; 02-29-2020 at 03:42 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-29-2020, 02:10 PM   #32
///M TOWN
United_States
Rep
Drives: M GmbH

Garage List
2018 M2  [8.78]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Bundy's Dodge View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigKutta View Post
Jeeps are no longer loud and uncomfortable? When did that change?

If you go test drive a new Sahara, you might be able to answer your questions
Drive it straight to the Chiropractor

03-01-2020, 05:29 AM   #33
Ikester19
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: G20 M340ix; F30 328i msport

Garage List
2018 330i LCI  [0.00]
2020 G20 M340ix  [0.00]
I totally understand your situation, I bought a 18 Lci 12 months ago. Absolutely loved the M2, in the time I owned it I added in all the sound insulation parts from the m240i and coded out ASD which improved road noise and cabin comfort. Then I changed jobs which is now a 120km round trip each day. The stiffer ride and noisier cabin eventually got to me and I decided I needed a more comfortable daily. Don't get me wrong the M2 is an awesome car but I'm in my mid 40's and I felt that I needed a car that could give me a better balance of comfort and performance.

I've recently, and very reluctantly sold the M2 and in the process of getting into a M340i. I don't regret my decision at all as I accept that my needs have changed. I thoroughly enjoyed the M2 when I owned it but it was time to move on to something that better fitted my needs.
Appreciate 3
cptobvious2531.50
Poochie9103.00
LuvMyE923000.00
      03-01-2020, 09:00 AM   #34
Dav3
Major
Rep
Drives: G87 M2/E89 35is/F21 M140i/GT4

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvMyE92 View Post
... but I'm seriously considering selling the M2.

I'm being honest here. We're all here because we love the car. It's great. I've had Porsches and Corvettes and 4 M5s and an M3 in there somewhere, and each had their charms and warts. The M2 has few warts.

But I'm getting older (aren't we all?) and honestly, the day I got the thing I realized that I may have made a mistake. It's awfully loud, the ride is stiff and that exhaust is just miserable at certain speeds. I could tear out that enormously expensive MPE and put in an aftermarket system that may or may not have the same resonance, but it would likely be louder still. And I'd still have the annoying road noise and stiff ride.

But I do enjoy the way it handles and brakes and all the other things that make the M2 so much better than an M3/M4.

And I spent way too much buying it, so I will take a huge loss selling it.

But life is short, and I like cars, and I've actually kept this one (18 months) longer than many of its predecessors. I am a flipper.

In the back of my mind though, I can't think what I'd replace it with. No more Porsche for me, no more Corvettes, and I don't like where BMW has gone with the other M cars.

I was actually kinda thinking maybe a VW GTI. I don't like FWD and it is nowhere near the M2 in performance. But they are rather inexpensive, very practical for hauling stuff from Home Depot and are fun to drive. My track days are behind me. The Miata popped in my brain too, but it's just too low and small for me.

One reason I'm not going back to Porsche or Corvette is because it's just getting too difficult for me getting in and out of those low cars. And all the big burly trucks around here scare me when I'm in a little car. I know the GTI is kind of little, but it's tall and visible and being German, is probably safer than those alternatives.

I'd still have my 540i as my DD, and it's a great car but it's no M and I do like to row my gears occasionally. The GTI (or whatever replaces the M2) would just be an occasional "toy" car. The amount of traffic, congestion and stupid clueless distracted drivers around here (RTP area of NC) just sucks all of the pleasure out of driving, most days.

Thoughts, comments, opinions?
Upgrade to a M2C

Part of the reason I ditched the OG M2 was because of the MPE being so droney and annoying

Went from MT in M2 to DCT in M2C and its a great daily driver now

OG M2 was a toy for me and unfortunately toys are not practical

Or if you just want a fun toy, get a good condition Z4 M. Amazing value for the driving experience, really brings you back to a time where BMW did the driving dynamics part better than the rest
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2020, 09:15 PM   #35
doug_999
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2011 1M/2021 992/2023 X3

I made it with the M2 a full 12 months. I loved everything about that car (stock exhaust) except the ride. Ugh. It broke me.

I made the mistake of driving the M3. Perfect car. Had they been producing them when I was M2 shopping, might have ended up there in the first place.

Sound does not compare (M2 blows it away). Linear throttle? M2 owns the M3 there as well. But damn, the ride is sports car perfect in the M3.

I'd recommend checking out a used M3 or new M4 or as noted, a M2C which rumor has it, rides much better.

Good luck.
Appreciate 2
Ikester192124.00
LuvMyE923000.00
      03-01-2020, 10:41 PM   #36
Nezil
Major
Rep
Drives: LCI '18 6MT M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by doug_999 View Post
I'd recommend checking out a used M3 or new M4 or as noted, a M2C which rumor has it, rides much better.
Isn't the suspension on the M2C identical to the OG? I've heard that the ride is better and I'm keen to improve it myself. The issue with aftermarket suspension kits is that they usually ride harder than stock, and I'd like to improve it not make it worse.

Current Performance Mods:
CSF FMIC, ER CP, Fabspeed Cat, Aquamist WMI, GFB DV+, NGK 97506, BM3 (Stage 2 93 OTS), CDV delete, UCP, M2C/M3/M4 Strut Brace, M3/M4 Reinforcement Rings
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2020, 10:45 PM   #37
Nezil
Major
Rep
Drives: LCI '18 6MT M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ikester19 View Post
I added in all the sound insulation parts from the m240i and coded out ASD which improved road noise and cabin comfort.
How much of a difference did this make subjectively? The shorter wheelbase is always going to make the 2 series more crashy than a larger 3 series, but the noise on some road surfaces at 80 mph (130 km/h) is nearly deafening.

I've done ASD off, and I don't have the MPE, so I'm interested in the sound insulation. I know there is a thread about this, but most of that is discussions on what can be done, rather than the difference it makes.

Current Performance Mods:
CSF FMIC, ER CP, Fabspeed Cat, Aquamist WMI, GFB DV+, NGK 97506, BM3 (Stage 2 93 OTS), CDV delete, UCP, M2C/M3/M4 Strut Brace, M3/M4 Reinforcement Rings
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2020, 01:13 AM   #38
hlm2c
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nezil View Post
Isn't the suspension on the M2C identical to the OG? I've heard that the ride is better and I'm keen to improve it myself. The issue with aftermarket suspension kits is that they usually ride harder than stock, and I'd like to improve it not make it worse.
Same part numbers for suspension, but M2C has the aluminum and CF strut brace which helps as well (possibly the added weight might too). My friend has an OG and driving back to back with an OG and comp, the M2C seems to handle bumps a bit better.. Not as bouncy. Also turn in feels more precise. If I had an OG that I had intentions of keeping, I would retrofit it in. Looks good when you pop the hood and helps with handling... Win-win, except for your wallet
Appreciate 1
cptobvious2531.50
      03-02-2020, 01:15 AM   #39
Ikester19
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: G20 M340ix; F30 328i msport

Garage List
2018 330i LCI  [0.00]
2020 G20 M340ix  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nezil View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ikester19 View Post
I added in all the sound insulation parts from the m240i and coded out ASD which improved road noise and cabin comfort.
How much of a difference did this make subjectively? The shorter wheelbase is always going to make the 2 series more crashy than a larger 3 series, but the noise on some road surfaces at 80 mph (130 km/h) is nearly deafening.

I've done ASD off, and I don't have the MPE, so I'm interested in the sound insulation. I know there is a thread about this, but most of that is discussions on what can be done, rather than the difference it makes.
It makes quite a difference, the sound insulation which I added (hood insulation, front door seals, rear side panel covers and rear wheel insulation) reduced cabin noise levels from 85db down to around 78db driving at 100km/h or 62mph on a decent tarmac highway. I had the oem exhaust but could still hear a slight drone. The app I used to measure noise level is called Decidel X but not sure how accurate it really is.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2020, 09:43 AM   #40
doug_999
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2011 1M/2021 992/2023 X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by hlm2c View Post
Same part numbers for suspension, but M2C has the aluminum and CF strut brace which helps as well (possibly the added weight might too). My friend has an OG and driving back to back with an OG and comp, the M2C seems to handle bumps a bit better.. Not as bouncy. Also turn in feels more precise. If I had an OG that I had intentions of keeping, I would retrofit it in. Looks good when you pop the hood and helps with handling... Win-win, except for your wallet
Could not have written it better... and "Not as bouncy" might be defined as "more refined" or "better damped" or "compliant".
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2020, 10:03 AM   #41
VisualEcho
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 M2 6MT

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [10.00]
I don't understand getting rid of the M2 if it's not even your daily driver, unless it's simply a money thing (and you've said it's not). You can make the exhaust quieter, and assuredly make the suspension softer, which, to me, is what you should do, rather than take a loss and get something that's probably not going to cut the mustard after having an M2. ANY car will probably need to be tweaked to give you exactly what you need, and it sounds like to me the M2 doesn't really need all that much tweaking.

Last edited by VisualEcho; 03-02-2020 at 10:11 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2020, 11:01 AM   #42
Picoschu
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 03 E39 M5, 01 325iT, 17 328dxT

If you're still leaning towards getting rid of the M2 these are my suggestions-
Golf R
RS3
Supra

After reading thru the thread it looks like there are many remedies to the issues you have with the M2.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2020, 12:04 PM   #43
mr_lab_rat
Major
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2, 2018 X1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dav3 View Post
Upgrade to a M2C
Well, that's a first. Someone suggesting to go from M2 to M2C for better sound
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2020, 12:12 PM   #44
Dav3
Major
Rep
Drives: G87 M2/E89 35is/F21 M140i/GT4

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_lab_rat View Post
Well, that's a first. Someone suggesting to go from M2 to M2C for better sound
I have no clue how you arrived at that conclusion as I never suggested those things you wrote down
Appreciate 0