BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > F8x M3/M4 Ceramic brakes on M2C?

02-24-2020, 11:05 PM   #1
Got f1?
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 E46 ZHP, 20 X3M, M2CS

F8x M3/M4 Ceramic brakes on M2C?

I did a Google search and forum search and couldn't find an answer. Maybe I missed it.

Will rotors and pads from the ceramic setup fit over to the M2C or are other modifications required?
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2020, 12:02 AM   #2
Anthony1s
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2018 Mineral Grey M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Got f1? View Post
I did a Google search and forum search and couldn't find an answer. Maybe I missed it.

Will rotors and pads from the ceramic setup fit over to the M2C or are other modifications required?
I can't think of anything that would be different from the M2 that prevents it.

https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1307736
Appreciate 1
Got f1?681.00
      02-25-2020, 04:07 AM   #3
hlm2c
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2C

I may or may not have looked into this as a potential upgrade before ... the discs and pads should be a plug and play for the M2C. There were some posts asking if getting the brake booster for the CCBs were required and also getting your car coded through ISTA for CCBs if you wanted optimal braking and wear on the CCBs.. and if I were upgrading to CCBs and it was already costing an arm and a leg, I'd do them both personally.. It shouldn't cost that much more. Also the calipers come in that nice meridian gold color and have titanium pistons instead of steel pistons on our 2NH brakes which is a plus
Appreciate 1
Got f1?681.00
      02-25-2020, 06:33 AM   #4
Got f1?
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony1s View Post
I can't think of anything that would be different from the M2 that prevents it.

https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1307736
Thanks for this. I read a it but in this case this was an OG M2 conversion. I was considering a set of rotors and pads only, assuming the calipers and booster, etc were the same.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2020, 06:44 AM   #5
Got f1?
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hlm2c View Post
I may or may not have looked into this as a potential upgrade before ... the discs and pads should be a plug and play for the M2C. There were some posts asking if getting the brake booster for the CCBs were required and also getting your car coded through ISTA for CCBs if you wanted optimal braking and wear on the CCBs.. and if I were upgrading to CCBs and it was already costing an arm and a leg, I'd do them both personally.. It shouldn't cost that much more. Also the calipers come in that nice meridian gold color and have titanium pistons instead of steel pistons on our 2NH brakes which is a plus
According to realoem.com the booster and calipers are different part numbers but the booster with CCB was also shared with the F22 2 series???

Last edited by Got f1?; 02-25-2020 at 06:44 AM.. Reason: Typo
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2020, 07:04 AM   #6
jritt@essex
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: e90 335i, NSX, 997.2, 987.1

If you're primarily interested in weight savings, and particularly if you plan to ever track your car, you need to check out our AP Racing by Essex Competition Brake Kits before dumping any money into CCB discs. Our brake kit shaves almost 40 unsprung pounds vs. the iron M2C brakes, they allow you to run lightweight 18" wheels/tires (saving even more weight), they give you a whole bunch more flexibility with pad choice, and they will cost a fraction as much as the carbon ceramic discs and pads in the long-run. They have a whole bunch of other benefits as well. We have a small army of M2/M3/M4 owners running our kits, and you can see lots of feedback on our Essex Blog.

If you're just looking for something to fill up the wheels for road use, then please ignore the above.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2020, 08:30 AM   #7
Anthony1s
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2018 Mineral Grey M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Got f1? View Post
According to realoem.com the booster and calipers are different part numbers but the booster with CCB was also shared with the F22 2 series???
I mean, it could just be the paint color that gives the calipers a different part number. The red 2NH calipers have a different part number than the grey 2NH calipers. But, the other poster above stated the gold calipers have titanium pistons. So they might be physically different. I have seen pictures of someone using the gold calipers with steel discs, but not the other way around and not sure if there is any issue with mixing them.

For the brake booster, everything I've read makes be think you definitely need this due to the need of a different clamping force for the CCBs. Though I'm not sure why it's used on the m235i. It's only used on that one, not the m235xi or any other version of the f22.

https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/par...999&series=F22

This thread has the pdf for the CCB technical stuff that details the differences and justifications for them. 5.3 talks about the booster.
https://f10.m5post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=821498
Appreciate 1
Got f1?681.00