BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Competition Model > What I need to prepare for a track day?

02-20-2020, 05:49 PM   #1
halfredxy
Rep
Drives: 2020 HS DCT M2C

What I need to prepare for a track day?

Could anyone help me go through the maintenance or required check before and after having fun? OEM M2C

The total time on track I believe is more than 4 hours.

I was wondering anything I need to replace : brake fluid, engine oil/filter, wheel alignment, coolant, or tires?

The car is still in warranty and maintenance program, I can do all the relacement for free, but the problem is will they allow me to replace as I want?
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2020, 06:04 PM   #2
goku7
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M2C ED 08/2019

Don't worry too much. First track day brand new car u don't need anything. Just make sure to attach the tow hook before u get on the track and keep the nannies on as you slowly get used to powering through the corners. Everything else u will get to know as you speak to people on the track
Appreciate 2
      02-20-2020, 06:23 PM   #3
DanG
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 AW DCT

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [7.68]
You will probably need a helmet and most clubs require an auto track inspection by an approved vendor.
Appreciate 1
      02-20-2020, 08:20 PM   #4
Mavus
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E90 335i, F80 zcp

Quote:
Originally Posted by halfredxy View Post
Could anyone help me go through the maintenance or required check before and after having fun? OEM M2C

The total time on track I believe is more than 4 hours.

I was wondering anything I need to replace : brake fluid, engine oil/filter, wheel alignment, coolant, or tires?

The car is still in warranty and maintenance program, I can do all the relacement for free, but the problem is will they allow me to replace as I want?
You should at least bring spare brake pads and couple qrts of oil. Brake pds can crack. You need at least 50% pad life left to pass inspection.

Do you have a spare tire or dedicated track wheel set that you will bring?
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2020, 06:33 AM   #5
Davil
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2 CS, 18 Vantage AMR, 00 WRX

Garage List
Not sure where you are, but you need a fire extinguisher, secondary bonnet restraint (though I'd guess the M2C has this covered), full covered clothing, closed footwear, a helmet in perfect condition, a harness, a battery triangle and numbers for your car down here. Plus no oil leaks etc etc but I don't think that'll be a problem.
Appreciate 1
      02-21-2020, 07:48 AM   #6
detroitm2
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davil View Post
Not sure where you are, but you need a fire extinguisher, secondary bonnet restraint (though I'd guess the M2C has this covered), full covered clothing, closed footwear, a helmet in perfect condition, a harness, a battery triangle and numbers for your car down here. Plus no oil leaks etc etc but I don't think that'll be a problem.
He's not racing, just a track day. Most of this is not required.

OP: Read the rules for whatever track event you're attending. It typically tells you what you'll need to bring/do. Depending on the organizer, it could vary a bit.
Appreciate 4
      02-21-2020, 08:35 AM   #7
richard in NC
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 Z4 35i

For a beginner at a track day, the minimum is a helmet (Snell 2010 or 2015), and a track inspection. Look for the forms from the organizer.

I do recommend a brake flush with high temp brake fluid. This reduces chance of brake fade. The M2C has great brakes but being hard on them all day long can boil stock fluids. The shop doing the inspection should be able to do it. Find an independent BMW repair shop in your area. That also eliminates concerns with the dealer knowing you track the car.

Most of the other items mentioned are recommended add-ons if you continue to track the car several times a year. Or consumables like tires and brake pads.

PS: Take a chair, sun tan lotion (you'll be sitting around outside a lot), water, snacks, basic tools including torque wrench and sockets to check lug nuts, tire pressure gauge, and an air pump. Or borrow stuff from a friend you know at the track
Appreciate 4
      02-21-2020, 09:11 AM   #8
detroitm2
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by richard in NC View Post
For a beginner at a track day, the minimum is a helmet (Snell 2010 or 2015), and a track inspection. Look for the forms from the organizer.

I do recommend a brake flush with high temp brake fluid. This reduces chance of brake fade. The M2C has great brakes but being hard on them all day long can boil stock fluids. The shop doing the inspection should be able to do it. Find an independent BMW repair shop in your area. That also eliminates concerns with the dealer knowing you track the car.

Most of the other items mentioned are recommended add-ons if you continue to track the car several times a year. Or consumables like tires and brake pads.

PS: Take a chair, sun tan lotion (you'll be sitting around outside a lot), water, snacks, basic tools including torque wrench and sockets to check lug nuts, tire pressure gauge, and an air pump. Or borrow stuff from a friend you know at the track
About borrowing from friends at the track.

Most people at these track events can be considered friends. Most people are more than happy to give you tips or help you out if needed, including loaning tools.

That said, I try to bring everything I'll need
Appreciate 1
      02-21-2020, 05:40 PM   #9
infinitekidM2C
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 Competition

Garage List
Just check your vendor's requirements for any tech inspection requirements. Car should be good to go for a routine track day. But one thing that i recommend is some painter's tape for your front bumper and part of your hood.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2020, 06:38 PM   #10
Daytona_550
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '20 M2C / '08 550i / '23 330i

If you can, try to have the tech inspection signed off the day before your first track session. You'll likely have a driver's meeting early in the morning of your first day, and having the tech inspection done and out of the way will give you more time to check your tire pressures, check your wheel lug torque, and relax a bit.

Have a great time!

Edit: one more thing... if the organizer does not provide number decals for your car, bring blue painters tape to make your own.
Appreciate 1
      02-21-2020, 07:32 PM   #11
Montaver
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 718 GT4 & M340i LCI

Smooth inputs, keep your eyes up, and have fun!
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2020, 06:44 AM   #12
Poochie
Luxury at the redline :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/f...nce/1VnYrq2Xv3
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2020, 07:26 AM   #13
COChris
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M2C

You will need brake fluid (something like Castrol SRF). Stock pads are passable but you will get a soft pedal a couple laps in.

Bring plenty of water and basic tools. You'll make more friends loaning tools, shade, and water than borrowing any of those things.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2020, 07:55 AM   #14
Anthony1s
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2018 Mineral Grey M2

All tracks are different on what they require you to have safety-wise, so best to talk to them. A helmet with a safety rating the track approves is a must anywhere. I think SNELL2015 is the most popular safety rating. Gloves are nice to have too.

If this is your first time tracking a car, I doubt you're gonna push it hard enough to break axles and crack brake pads and need to carry a bunch of replacement parts and oils with you. If the track is long and you like to brake late into the corners, a brake fluid change before tracking would be good. It will prevent the fluid from getting too hot and the brakes fading. But, if you're just tracking to get use to the car, it's not needed. Or if it's autocross, it's even less needed. Because the tracks are shorter and you have so much time in between runs to cool down. If your car is close to it's oil change time, maybe change that too before tracking.

I would bring a tire pressure gauge. Bring the air compressor that came in the trunk of your M2. This way you can lower your pressures for the track and raise them for the ride home. Sun tan lotion, sun hat, drinks, snacks are good to have too. Sun glasses too. If you're coming around a corner and the sun blinds you causing you to rear end into the person in front of you, that's not good.

Maybe bring some ear plugs too, if there are loud cars at the track and you're concerned about going deaf.

Notebook and pen is good too. If you want to take notes on things you want to adjust before your next track day.

Basic tools is a good recommendation too, just in case anything comes loose. Also, inspect your car after each run and before your drive home.

This last one was kinda a joke, but I guess it can make sense... Bring a military MRE with you. Some track days last the whole day, so might be nice to have some food rations.

Adding cash to the list too. Never know if you're gonna need to buy something from someone that doesn't take debit or bitcoins.

Helmet
Gloves
Brake fluid (maybe)
Oil (maybe)
Tire Pressure Gauge
Air Compressor (BMW Trunk Supplied)
Sun Tan Lotion
Sun Hat
Sun Glasses
Ear Plugs
Notebook and pen
Military MRE
Cash

Last edited by Anthony1s; 02-22-2020 at 08:53 AM..
Appreciate 2
COChris888.50
      02-22-2020, 12:24 PM   #15
Sedrik1982
Rep
Drives: 2020 F87 BMW M2C ordered

Never brought brake pads, fluid or any of this on any track day.

Helmet is a must (even if it is not required), tow hook is good idea (i put it on the back of the car).

Electronics systems - it is good idea to start with all on, BUT turn off the automatic collision breaking. Once I forgot and it scared the hell out of me in the middle of the corner. Lane assist also off (if you have it)

If you have automatic transmission, take few laps in auto and look for the gears tranny chooses. Check out temperature of everything and you will be fine.

Have fun!
Appreciate 1
      02-22-2020, 10:59 PM   #16
halfredxy
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smooth 330i View Post
You should at least bring spare brake pads and couple qrts of oil. Brake pds can crack. You need at least 50% pad life left to pass inspection.

My tires are PSS as factory comes out. It's a brand new car, everything is new here, so does brake pads. I just have no idea how track driving affect brake system or transmission.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2020, 11:10 PM   #17
halfredxy
Rep

One more question: Is an insurance for track events required or highly recommanded? Cuz I know it is some how not covered by regular car insurance.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2020, 07:22 AM   #18
Kuervers
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 19 M2C HS,6sp 16 X5 35i

Quote:
One more question: Is an insurance for track events required or highly recommanded? Cuz I know it is some how not covered by regular car insurance.
in Canada I have coverage as long as it's not a timed/competition
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2020, 07:33 AM   #19
Mavus
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E90 335i, F80 zcp

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smooth 330i View Post

My tires are PSS as factory comes out. It's a brand new car, everything is new here, so does brake pads. I just have no idea how track driving affect brake system or transmission.
You are good to go as is. There are reports stating the stock brakes get soft on track and you may experience slight fade. Keep this in mind and immediately tell your instructor if you notice soft brake pedal when you apply full pressure. The watch out zone would be at the end of long straight as you are braking from say 130-50mph where brakes generate a lot of heat.

Insurance is not required but is recommended in case you are involved in an accident. It may not be you causing it.

I would still bring spare brake pads or if you decide to put on track pads your stock pads will be your spare.

Try to talk to somebody on here that has tracked stock car.

Feel free to ask more questions.
Appreciate 1
      02-23-2020, 11:57 AM   #20
dmf
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition DCT/BSM

I took my stock M2C to Buttonwillow, CA for its first track day with essentially nothing in the way of tools or spares. I had a helmet, track inspection done by a shop I trust, some stick on numbers for my car (which you'll probably need), track insurance (via OpenTrack) and an acceptance that I was a novice in a new car - no lap records for me.

As a word of warning, you may over the course of the day start pushing yourself a little harder as you get more comfortable. I found that as I did that, the stock tires became somewhat greasy towards the end of a 20 minute session. Really be careful with that. In terms of the brakes, mine survived Buttonwillow and Laguna Seca before needing replacement.

Having done many more days since, the only other piece I'd recommend is that you should certainly ease into either MDM mode or turning traction control off when operating in Sport+. The amount of power that the engine can deliver is pretty fast and if get on the gas too hard and too early out of a corner you can easily spin. Happened to me a few times and had to be more careful with my throttle handling. Luckily this only happened at tracks with nothing to run into and I never came off.

Only other thing is now days I do my first session of the day in Sport mode. Since we always start early, everyone is a bit dopey and this allows me to shake down the car and wake myself up before using Sport+.

Now days for track events I take:
- Jack + Jack stand
- Street pads (swap to DS1.11s for track work)
- Torque wrench
- Tire depth + pressure gauge (largely for tracking/monitoring)
- Air compressor
- Socket set
- Camping chairs
Appreciate 1
      02-23-2020, 01:47 PM   #21
Drop the hammer
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '17 F87 M2 AW, Dct

I took my stock’ish car (just bolt on motor mods and a tune) to a two day track training event. Each day we ran four 20 minutes sessions with classroom in between to let the cars cool off. First day no issues, being new and also going through training we were not pushing cars that hard. Learning lines and the track itself.

However, on second day as I started to get more comfortable late braking and entering corners much faster I ended up getting pad deposits in the brake discs and causing a lot of brake shuttering (smaller blue brake set) also huge wear on the PSS tires as they began to liquify. I blame the gt3 RS that I was trying to stay with through the corners. I also ended up having to refuel mid-day as I burned 2/3 of a tank in 3 sessions, so have a plan for that as fuel is sometimes not available at a track and you may have to drive to get some.

Your organizer will give you your list of helmet and safety equipment needed. i brought my torque wrench and socket set and kept checking tire lug torque. Ive already got better fluid and track pads for next time. Also bring food and drinks as it’s a long day.

I also enjoyed about 2 hrs after the session just hanging out with the other drivers talking about our cars and our experience. Sitting in their cars and checking them all out. Went through additional beverages/food during that debriefing.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2020, 01:54 PM   #22
2020M2Competition
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Yes

Quote:
Really depends on what you're comfortable with and your financial situation

AFAIK, most organizations do not require track insurance, but check to be sure

Track insurance is expensive (often as much as a typical track day/event fee) but if you can't afford to cover the potential expenses that could result in the case of a serious incident I would recommend it
Appreciate 1