BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > N55 Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning > Carbahn Tune

02-27-2020, 07:49 AM   #45
cecaa850
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristosD View Post
by flashing it to the ACN map if fuel is shit or flashing the 93 map if your fuel quality is superior. i use both maps alot depending on which area i am in. You have zero flexibility on a carbahn tune
So basically you have to log and review your logs with BM3 to be sure you're safe and reflash accordingly? Why isn't that needed with a stock tune or for that matter a Carbahn tune? What would happen if you kept your 93 map in and ran shit gas? Just trying to understand.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2020, 07:49 AM   #46
hz101
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M3C

Quote:
i completely disagree with you the mere fact that i can log my car and monitor it and adapt my map to fuel conditions completely out weighs any warranty that dinan or carbahn offers, lets not kid ourselves there are plenty cases where people with dinan parts and tunes have had their warranties removed and have had to turn to lawyers for help. Anything you add to your car should be with a own risk mentality, warranties are just marketing schemes to charge more money.
Well that's your perspective, and I respect that. But that doesn't mean everyone feels the same way. I have worked with Dinan on a warranty claim in the past and they made the whole process very seamless.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2020, 07:56 AM   #47
hz101
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cecaa850 View Post
So basically you have to log and review your logs with BM3 to be sure you're safe and reflash accordingly? Why isn't that needed with a stock tune or for that matter a Carbahn tune? What would happen if you kept your 93 map in and ran shit gas? Just trying to understand.
Because CarBahn and Dinan do their own testing on stock cars before they release the tunes.

You could say that BM3 is better for those who like to get into the technical aspects of tuning and be able to monitor all the parameters, etc. But does every customer want to do that? No

Last edited by hz101; 02-27-2020 at 08:11 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2020, 10:38 AM   #48
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Quote:
So basically you have to log and review your logs with BM3 to be sure you're safe and reflash accordingly?
logging OTS maps are not needed.

Quote:
Why isn't that needed with a stock tune or for that matter a Carbahn tune?
Keep in mind, you can run higher octane on a lower map without any issues.
Think of the stock car as a very conservative map for 91 octane.
As long as you are running 91+ on that map, you do not have to do any datalogging or testing

Bootmod3 lets you take advantage of the higher octane to make more power, if you have access to 93 octane you can run the 93 map.
If you decide to go back to 91 octane, you need to change to 91 map.

If you do not like to keep switching maps, select the 91 map. It works on both octanes (that's what you pretty much do with stock map)

Quote:
What would happen if you kept your 93 map in and ran shit gas? Just trying to understand.

Same thing that would happen if you run the stock map (which BMW recommend a minimum of 91 octane) on an 87 octane fuel.
Car will run poorly and you risk damaging components

Quote:
Originally Posted by hz101 View Post
Because CarBahn and Dinan do their own testing on stock cars before they release the tunes.

You could say that BM3 is better for those who like to get into the technical aspects of tuning and be able to monitor all the parameters, etc. But does every customer want to do that? No
More false statements without any proof. No point in keeping the discussion going, it won't lead anywhere. So that's going to be my last response to you on here.

I know you are a Carbahn fan but I do recommend you do more reading about tuning before making these kinds of posts.

To suggest Bootmod3 releases tunes without testing on stock cars is ridiculous, but then again it wont be your first ridiculous post on this thread.

Bootmod3 does not need technical experts to run the tune, install process takes less than a minute. You can run OTS maps without making any changes or datalogs.

Phone number 702-494-9435

Last edited by mike@x-ph.com; 02-27-2020 at 10:46 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2020, 12:35 PM   #49
hz101
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike@x-ph.com View Post

As long as you are running 91+ on that map, you do not have to do any datalogging or testing

Bootmod3 lets you take advantage of the higher octane to make more power, if you have access to 93 octane you can run the 93 map.

If you do not like to keep switching maps, select the 91 map. It works on both octanes (that's what you pretty much do with stock map)

Same thing that would happen if you run the stock map (which BMW recommend a minimum of 91 octane) on an 87 octane fuel.

More false statements without any proof. No point in keeping the discussion going, it won't lead anywhere. So that's going to be my last response to you on here.

I know you are a Carbahn fan but I do recommend you do more reading about tuning before making these kinds of posts.

To suggest Bootmod3 releases tunes without testing on stock cars is ridiculous, but then again it wont be your first ridiculous post on this thread.

Bootmod3 does not need technical experts to run the tune, install process takes less than a minute. You can run OTS maps without making any changes or datalogs.
I'm glad that was your last post, because you are a hopeless case.

It is sad that you have to resort to imposing your opinion and mischaracterizing my statements in order to sell stuff on your store. Says a lot about the kind of business you are running. I never suggested that OTS BM3 tunes are released without any testing. I meant to say that since BM3 lets users change things and load different kinds of maps, testing and datalogging is done to make sure everything is OK. Of course the OTS maps can be used without any logs.

I suggest you post in other threads where you can promote items that you sell on your store without people calling you out on your obvious bias.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2020, 12:55 PM   #50
ZM2
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 LBB M2

I went from Dinan to BM3 and experienced smoother running, more power, and the ability to log and review data which is great piece of mind.

I haven’t had any issues with the OTS maps and even a couple custom maps, so I haven’t missed the warranty that came from Dinan.

That’s not Carbahn, but it’s the same guy and same mantra as Dinan.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2020, 01:38 PM   #51
Happy Motoring
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: OG M2

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [10.00]
Interesting that Carbahn makes you pay for the warranty
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2020, 03:43 PM   #52
cecaa850
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Motoring View Post
Interesting that Carbahn makes you pay for the warranty
You pay for any warranty on any product. It's figured into the selling price.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2020, 04:10 PM   #53
Happy Motoring
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: OG M2

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [10.00]
Quote:
You pay for any warranty on any product. It's figured into the selling price.
Most of the time that's how it works but for Carbahn you have to purchase the warranty separately which I thought was interesting.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2020, 05:48 PM   #54
///Monika
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 X3 M40i & '18 M2

Makes you wonder, why bother since that would be the only reason (warranty) one would want a Carbahn tune. I remember looking at their tune and after reading the warranty and terms a couple of times, meh ! Why bother. Limited to their 'allowed' parts and I particularly like the comment from them that we should be up-front and honest with our dealership that we have such a tune installed. That's not happening.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Motoring View Post
Most of the time that's how it works but for Carbahn you have to purchase the warranty separately which I thought was interesting.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2020, 08:11 PM   #55
4thM3
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2 Comp. Alp. White

Know that this is only peripherally related but can someone explain the “brace cutting” for he DINAN intake system? I am considering it for my M2C and the install instructions don’t mention anything about cutting a brace. Let me know
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2020, 08:05 AM   #56
///Monika
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Page 12 of their instructions require cutting of the brace:
http://files.dinancars.com/webresour...324be0cb5c.pdf

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4thM3 View Post
Know that this is only peripherally related but can someone explain the “brace cutting” for he DINAN intake system? I am considering it for my M2C and the install instructions don’t mention anything about cutting a brace. Let me know
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2020, 08:28 AM   #57
cecaa850
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///Monika View Post
Page 12 of their instructions require cutting of the brace:
http://files.dinancars.com/webresour...324be0cb5c.pdf
He has a M2C though.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2020, 10:35 AM   #58
///Monika
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Ahh, yes.. I didn't see that.

Quote:
He has a M2C though.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2020, 12:51 PM   #59
4thM3
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2 Comp. Alp. White

Thanks for the reply. So I guess it’s only required on the M2 but not the M2C. Must not have much impact on the M2 because they are certainly flying around the track!!!
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2020, 09:31 PM   #60
akkando
Major General
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 DCT LBB,11 e90 M3 ZCP IB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony1s View Post
Quote:
And you're saying these things that customers can change have zero risk of causing issues?
I'm not sure if the config options for the OTS maps have any risk of damaging your car. You can accidentally set the wrong fuel pump, ignition coils, or tmap sensor. But all that is clearly labeled, and I'm not sure if the car would even start with the wrong selection. The other options in the config have zero chance of causing harm.

I was looking into if a standard user can custom tune their car and I'm not sure they can. I do not see any options in the BM3 interface to adjust parameters and make your own tune. I think maybe you have to register as a tuner to unlock those features, but no, nothing like that is available from the get-go.
You can request to register as a tuner to tune ONLY your car
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2020, 09:43 PM   #61
akkando
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
by flashing it to the ACN map if fuel is shit or flashing the 93 map if your fuel quality is superior. i use both maps alot depending on which area i am in. You have zero flexibility on a carbahn tune
You would probably get lots of knock events and the car's computers would pull timing to avoid engine damage which will make the tune not feel as smooth, like a power dip when timing is suddenly pulled.

It's unlikely the engine would really be damaged unless you were really hammering the car like at the track, even then the car's computers probably save you.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2020, 09:48 PM   #62
akkando
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike@x-ph.com View Post

I'm glad that was your last post, because you are a hopeless case.

It is sad that you have to resort to imposing your opinion and mischaracterizing my statements in order to sell stuff on your store. Says a lot about the kind of business you are running. I never suggested that OTS BM3 tunes are released without any testing. I meant to say that since BM3 lets users change things and load different kinds of maps, testing and datalogging is done to make sure everything is OK. Of course the OTS maps can be used without any logs.

I suggest you post in other threads where you can promote items that you sell on your store without people calling you out on your obvious bias.
I'm not aware of any public data showing dinan or carbahn is more reliable than bm3. Obviously their warranty implies it's reliable, but you pay for it, and when there are failures, sometimes they don't feel they're responsible.

I'm not seeing a lot of people having car problems with bm3. People with m2 and jb4 were having issues though.
Appreciate 0