BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > M Performance Coilvers, worth it???

07-10-2019, 12:42 PM   #23
eeyang92
Captain
Rep
Drives: LBB M2 LCI 6MT

When I put my MP C into my softer street settings, I notice the rear is much more squirmy and much less confidence inspiring in the corners. This is necessary for bad roads on the street.

But then when I put it into my track mode settings, all that goes away. The car is extremely planted and breaks away very predictably. But it is definitely too stiff on the streets to keep it in this mode. But this is the advantage of adjustable coilovers!
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2019, 03:35 AM   #24
scflaw
Captain
Rep
Drives: M135I, Macan S, G26 i4M50

I have the MPS on the M2C. Have owned kw v3's (Benz) and pss10's (335i, 135i) in the past.

On ride quality
The MPS feels a bit more bumpy on rough roads compared to the stock m2c suspension. However on roads with minor imperfections, the suspension seems to be more compliant and doesn't seem to bounce around as much. In comparison to kw v3's installed on my benz, the v3's seem to be more aggressive on the minor imperfections on the road. in that you could feel every expansion joint.

In build quality
The MPS is built very well, i believe it was built by KW as well? The major differences according to my shop between the MPS and the V3 is that the MPS has these thick rubber mounts between the springs and where it mounts to the suspension (i'm not an engineer). That and the MPS cannot be lowered as low as the v3 without making modifications to the MPS.

On Performance
I don't track my vehicle but compared to stock it seems like the vehicle is more confidence inspiring but then again stock was quite good to begin with.

Overall
I'd buy this again if i had to make a choice. However to me it really depends on what kind of deals you can get for the suspension, over here the MPS is cheaper than the v3's. Also some consideration could be paid to whether your dealer is modification friendly.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2019, 06:46 AM   #25
detroitm2
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed3 View Post
According to my sales guy (true or not) there are currently 14 sets of the M Performance Coilovers available as of yesterday. If I wanted them, I would need to get them on order, so it'll be at the dealer by the time the car arrives (eta) 07/22.
Lol. That's the oldest sales trick in the book. Create a sense of urgency.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2019, 06:58 AM   #26
VIERsr
Major
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Garage List
Do MP coilovers and KW v3 have a different spring rate?
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2019, 12:46 PM   #27
M Fifty
Banned
Rep
Drives: M2 & 330CI

Quote:
Originally Posted by _RS4_ View Post
Do MP coilovers and KW v3 have a different spring rate?
It would appear so, based on the use of shorter main spring plus a helper spring to stop the main spring falling out when the suspension extends.

This may explain the ride quality comments a few posts above.

I think Jetbill's Shock/Spring Dyno thread may provide details.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2019, 04:10 AM   #28
gnx
Όλα ρόδες
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
My first impressions of the M perf suspension are very good. I am using factory settings for bump and rebound, 2,5 bar tire pressure up front, 2,6 in the back and the ride is amazingly pliant and reassuring. It is much more agile than stock.

Haven't followed the recommended settings in ride height though, tried to stay close to OEM in order to have full suspension travel. I stand at 60,5 centimeters front and 62 in the back.

Will drive it like this for a while and then stiffen it up a bit, maybe lower it half a centimeter in the back. I am curious to see what the car feels like with the track recommended settings on the street.

I had Ohlins R&T on an e89 and was quite pleased with it. Rear spring rates were just 9 kilos and that car was borderline too stiff in the back.

The Ohlins R&T kit for the M2C has much stiffer spring rates 9 kilos up front and 19 kilos in the back. M perf rear springs are at 12 kilos, for reference.
Attached Images

Appreciate 3
      07-13-2019, 02:33 PM   #29
Bee Pee
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: AW M2 DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by eeyang92 View Post
When I put my MP C into my softer street settings, I notice the rear is much more squirmy and much less confidence inspiring in the corners. This is necessary for bad roads on the street.

But then when I put it into my track mode settings, all that goes away. The car is extremely planted and breaks away very predictably. But it is definitely too stiff on the streets to keep it in this mode. But this is the advantage of adjustable coilovers!
What rear camber is yr car setup with ?

Switch it -1.5deg makes a big difference on rear traction. Depending on yr rear ride height you maybe riding too much on bumpstops on uneven street surfaces too. On track less of an issue as tracks usually have smoother blacktop
      07-15-2019, 03:59 PM   #30
eeyang92
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bee Pee View Post
What rear camber is yr car setup with ?

Switch it -1.5deg makes a big difference on rear traction. Depending on yr rear ride height you maybe riding too much on bumpstops on uneven street surfaces too. On track less of an issue as tracks usually have smoother blacktop
Hm, I don't remember off the top of my head, but it's basically the stock camber + camber from lowering.

I think for me it's mostly the "loose" feeling (and lack of feedback) when I put it on soft that makes me less confident since I can't feel exactly what the backend is doing. Whereas when I put it in my track settings I can feel almost everything going on in the rear axle.

I'll definitely get the camber adjusted if it isn't ~-1.5 though, thanks for the tip.
Appreciate 1
Bee Pee1737.50
      07-15-2019, 04:39 PM   #31
M Fifty
Banned
Rep

Okay, I'll ask: Noting that the BMW Track and Street settings are just 2 clicks (out of 12+) apart, what are you using as your "softer street settings"?

I typically run a couple of clicks softer than BMW recommend, as it helps with weight transfer on the rural highways I usually drive on. For example, I can make the car rotate on the brakes into a turn, or on the throttle on the way out at license friendly speeds. The two stock settings will also do that, but I have to be going much, much faster...
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2019, 06:15 PM   #32
eeyang92
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Fifty View Post
Okay, I'll ask: Noting that the BMW Track and Street settings are just 2 clicks (out of 12+) apart, what are you using as your "softer street settings"?

I typically run a couple of clicks softer than BMW recommend, as it helps with weight transfer on the rural highways I usually drive on. For example, I can make the car rotate on the brakes into a turn, or on the throttle on the way out at license friendly speeds. The two stock settings will also do that, but I have to be going much, much faster...
My track settings are:

Front Rebound: 9o, Comp: 3o
Rear Rebound: 9o, Comp: 6o

Street:

Front Rebound: 12o, Comp: 9o
Rear Rebound: 12o, Comp: 9o

The track settings were provided by my dealership when they installed it, and it does feel very nice on the track. The street settings was me basically loosing rebound/compression until it was acceptable to daily drive on my commute - I'm pretty sure it's suboptimal.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2019, 01:10 AM   #33
VIERsr
Major
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Garage List
What is the default height setting when the kit is delivered? How much is lower than the oem if you put the coilovers without any change?
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2019, 12:37 PM   #34
M Fifty
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by eeyang92 View Post
My track settings are:

Front Rebound: 9o, Comp: 3o
Rear Rebound: 9o, Comp: 6o

Street:

Front Rebound: 12o, Comp: 9o
Rear Rebound: 12o, Comp: 9o

The track settings were provided by my dealership when they installed it, and it does feel very nice on the track. The street settings was me basically loosing rebound/compression until it was acceptable to daily drive on my commute - I'm pretty sure it's suboptimal.
Stock settings on the installation instructions are:

Front axle
Rebound 9 clicks open
Compression 6 clicks open
Rear axle
Rebound 12 clicks open

These are repeated in the M2 section of the BMW M Performance Suspension PDF from 05/17

Track settings from the same source are given as:

Front axle
Rebound 7 clicks open
Compression 4 clicks open
Rear axle
Rebound 10 clicks open

I'm running 2 clicks softer that the installed settings for both Rebound and Compression on both axles, so:

Front axle
Rebound 11 clicks open
Compression 8 clicks open
Rear axle
Rebound 14 clicks open

Hence, I'm running the front slightly stiffer, and the rear a bit softer.

HTH
Appreciate 2
eeyang92318.50
Kattanah136.00
      07-16-2019, 12:39 PM   #35
M Fifty
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by _RS4_ View Post
What is the default height setting when the kit is delivered? How much is lower than the oem if you put the coilovers without any change?
According to the installation instructions:
595mm at the front and 600mm at the back measured from the bottom edge of the rim to the underside of the top of the wheel arch with the front seats loaded to 75kg (165lb) per side.

I have no idea what stock is, but BMW claim a maximum of 20mm lowering front and rear.

HTH
Appreciate 2
VIERsr2620.50
Kattanah136.00
      07-16-2019, 04:51 PM   #36
eeyang92
Captain
Rep

Quote:

Front axle
Rebound 9 clicks open
Rear axle
Rebound 12 clicks open

These are repeated in the M2 section of the BMW M Performance Suspension PDF from 05/17

Front axle
Rebound 7 clicks open
Rear axle
Rebound 10 clicks open

I'm running 2 clicks softer that the installed settings for both Rebound and Compression on both axles, so:

Front axle
Rebound 11 clicks open
Rear axle
Rebound 14 clicks open

HTH
Thanks for the info!

I find that compression affects the roughness of bumps the most, which is why I loosened it up by so much, but didn't want to loosen anymore in the rear as I'm afraid it would lose even more feeling.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2019, 03:09 AM   #37
Bee Pee
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:

Front axle
Rebound 9 clicks open
Rear axle
Rebound 12 clicks open

Front axle
Rebound 7 clicks open
Rear axle
Rebound 10 clicks open

Front axle
Rebound 11 clicks open
Rear axle
Rebound 14 clicks open

HTH
FWIW - post fettling by Center Gravity (CG) - my car's damper settings (18" 245/265 MPSS tyres @ 31psi cold)

Front axle
Rebound 11 clicks open
Compression 7 clicks open

Rear axle
Rebound 8 clicks open

Dampers set harder in the rear than the front for 2 reasons:-

1. When assessing compression/suspension travel with all dampers set too full soft, Chris @ CG was amazed at how firm MPC front springs were. Hence, less bump dialed in as springs don't need as much support due to their stiffness. Conversely, less rebound to balance between enough weight transfer, limited body movement and optimising compliance to ensure tyre contact patch consistency.

2. The concept of bumpstops being secondary spring effectively means that they prohibit spring travel/damper stroke which, when c/w ride height, maybe sub-optimal when expecting suspension to remain effective at managing tyre contact patch/compliance. This was the case with my car, in the rear it showed evidence of bumpstop contact [3d of NC500 just completed + a number of track days + many trips 4 up with luggage]. When dampers set too full soft, rear MPC spring rates are less than the front. Therefore, rear needs more support from the dampers ie higher bump setting and more rebound to re-settle springs quicker.

It works really well.

For next trackday will try car as-is then, if need be, increase rebound stiffness in 2 click increments F&R and gauge how the car feels.

BP
      07-23-2019, 05:55 PM   #38
Ed3
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 BMW 340i LCI w/ MPPSK

MP Coilover cost

so I just received an email from my SA regarding the total cost of the MP Coilover (model 33502413033) and almost shit in my pants when I saw the total. A whopping $5,061.02 ($1793 labor & $3,268.02 parts). I was thinking twice about getting them, but now...

Curious on how much ppl are/were paying for them

https://www.dropbox.com/s/3d52bdreoi..._2177.JPG?dl=0
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2019, 03:13 AM   #39
Bee Pee
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
so I just received an email from my SA regarding the total cost of the MP Coilover (model 33502413033) and almost shit in my pants when I saw the total. A whopping $5,061.02 ($1793 labor & $3,268.02 parts). I was thinking twice about getting them, but now...

Supplied/fitted including new bolts/fasteners etc by BMW UK dealer network £2.1K GBP incl full KDS set up to BMW MPerf specs... I had to haggle to get this deal and was based on 3 cars having the kits fitted consecutively. At that price it was fairly easy to find 2 other takers !!!
      07-25-2019, 03:01 PM   #40
M2joey
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M2, 335is, X5 M50i

Quote:

Sounds like San Jose area prices.

You should be able to get everything done for under $3500, at a performance shop. The OEM MPS kit can be ordered from getbmwparts (might be sold out at the moment) for approx. $2200. The install should be $750-$1000. Alignment $150-200, add another $150-200 for a corner balance.
      07-25-2019, 08:32 PM   #41
atlas
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: F10 535i, M2 LCI, G05 X5 40i

FWIW, I installed JRZ coilovers. Initially the ride height was perfect but after a while it settled lower and I noticed it wasn't riding as well, and getting noisy.

So I recently had my shop raise the height 1.5cm and it has made a night and day difference in terms of ride and road noise.
Appreciate 1
Bee Pee1737.50
      07-28-2019, 10:14 PM   #42
eeyang92
Captain
Rep

Quote:

Front axle
Rebound 9 clicks open
Rear axle
Rebound 12 clicks open

Front axle
Rebound 7 clicks open
Rear axle
Rebound 10 clicks open

Front axle
Rebound 11 clicks open
Rear axle
Rebound 14 clicks open

HTH
Just an update - I'm running:

Front:
Rebound 12 Comp 9

Rear:
Rebound 15 Comp 9

Which is 3 softer on each setting from stock, and the car feels a lot more stable now. Definitely goes to show how a small change (+3 rebound in the rear vs. my previous street setup) can make a noticeable difference in handling.
Appreciate 2
M Fifty844.00
wfujay19.50
      07-28-2019, 10:15 PM   #43
eeyang92
Captain
Rep

Quote:

As others mentioned, you should be able to purchase it online for ~$2k and installation at the dealership was about $1k (which is required for the warranty on the MPC).
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2019, 09:16 AM   #44
Juicehead
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Raptor

Just installed my MP coilovers.

A couple questions for the guys running these.

1. What are you guys running as far as height? (How many threads showing)

2. How in the heck are you able to adjust the rear....

The whole top fixture insert is spinning on me when I turn the collar (Rear).
Also, it's a bitch to get the wrench in there (Rear).
Appreciate 0