BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > Cosmetic Modifications > M mirrors retrofit (oem)

12-13-2018, 05:29 PM   #23
M2OG
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: a car

Does anyone who's done this upgrade want to sell me their original driver side assembly?
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2019, 12:38 AM   #24
qnet
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 18 Jeep Wrangler, 18 M2 LBB

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewc89 View Post
Just ordered these from the same place as OP. Price was €999 plus shipping which comes out to ~$1250USD.

Parts for LHD cars are as follows:

Auto Folding Mirrors:

51168076669 + 51168080454

Unpainted Caps:

51168059545 + 51168059546

Heated/Dimmed Wide Angle Euro Glass:

51168059567 + 51168059568
I keep coming back to this thread. I like my AutoID mirrors, but know I can't help myself, and will eventfully get these LOL!
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2019, 01:58 PM   #25
AndrewC1989
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 328d xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by qnet View Post
I keep coming back to this thread. I like my AutoID mirrors, but know I can't help myself, and will eventfully get these LOL!
I also had the AutoID replicas before and liked them but these are next level. Not only do they look amazing, but your visibility is increased, they fold faster and they don't leak nearly as much water onto the doors when you drive off after a wash.

Side by side with a stock mirrored M2 it's just night and day:

Appreciate 3
qnet676.00
      01-10-2019, 05:02 PM   #26
qnet
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I also had the AutoID replicas before and liked them but these are next level. Not only do they look amazing, but your visibility is increased, they fold faster and they don't leak nearly as much water onto the doors when you drive off after a wash.

Side by side with a stock mirrored M2 it's just night and day:

Between getting my car serviced last weekend, looking at the bigger M cars, and your description, I'm just about sold.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2019, 11:14 AM   #27
AndrewC1989
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natek View Post
Does anyone who's done this upgrade want to sell me their original driver side assembly?
Elaborate on "side assembly"

Are you looking for the entire unit or just the plastic outer shell or...?
      01-11-2019, 11:38 AM   #28
Mike0105
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M2

Quote:
I'm glad I'm not the only one with AutoID mirrors that will likely be upgrading to the OEM version
Mike
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2019, 07:37 PM   #29
qnet
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike0105 View Post
I'm glad I'm not the only one with AutoID mirrors that will likely be upgrading to the OEM version
Mike
Yeah, it's hard to pass up now that they're being sold and are a little easier to get. They're still a little expensive, but I still want them; especially after andrew89 said they operate faster.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2019, 12:08 PM   #30
hassr
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

I installed my mirrors last night. I am thrilled with how the project turned out.

2/17/19 - One big update: you do not need to remove the door cards at all. According to this thread, just pop off the speaker assembly directly. Thanks qnet!

I purchased my panel tools from harbor freight. The plastic edges on the tools were not perfectly smooth. To prevent any tiny scratches, I used a micro fiber cloth as a guard between the the paint, the tool, and the trim.

To remove the door card / trim I followed instructions on these two videos

The first one tells you how to remove the panels and access the mirror’s mounting hardware. The second one covers the panel remove as well but also tells you how to remove the tweeter speaker assembly that covers the mounting bolts for the mirror.

You will need a Torx 20 bit to remove the 5 screws on each panel. I found the panels to be more difficult to get off the first time during my dry run of the process than on second time. I think this is why the process looks so easy in the shorter video I posted above because the guy had probably removed the panels a few times before.

Once you remove the mirrors with a Torx 30 bit you might be in for a shock when you install the new ones. I didn’t know that new mirrors from BMW use self threading / tapping screws to thread the mounting holes for the mirror. A quick check on RealOEM verified the mounting screws are self threading so you might want to buy six new ones if you are going to do the job yourself.

With the mirror not mounted to the car I “married” each screw to its own hole with a few turns to get the threads started, marked each screw to its hole with a pen and then installed the mirror on the car by returning each screw to its original hole. When mounting the mirror against the car make sure to get the rubber window gasket properly aligned near the door hinge. To secure the mirror I then I worked each of the three screws down a little bit of a time, cycling through all 3, until the mirror was flush against the car.

I couldn’t find any torque specs for the screws but a friend of mine wiggled the mirror while I checked to make sure that none of the screws or their washers moved anymore.

Installation of the door card / panel is essentially opposite of the removal process. I secured the rubber window gasket back into place put the tweeter housing back over the mirror mounting position. The tweeter plastic cover, the piece that has the grill and logo is tricky to get back on securely. Check the two tabs at the bottom of the piece and make sure they are engaged.

Once the panel was back on the door I made sure to secure the clips along the window edge by squeezing the panel and door frame every 6 inches or so until I heard a pop. This might be easy to miss because the panel trim fits tightly against the top of the door but the seams look a little off. It is useful to compare the alignment to the other door so you know what you are aiming for.

Getting the carbon fiber door handle trim back on was a pain too.

Last edited by hassr; 02-17-2019 at 04:22 PM.. Reason: Turns out there is an easier way!
Appreciate 4
qnet676.00
TheHaze152.00
Jcon157316.50
M2Geil29.00
      01-12-2019, 01:28 PM   #31
qnet
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hassr View Post
I installed my mirrors last night.

I purchased my panel tools from harbor freight. The plastic edges on the tools were not perfectly smooth. To prevent any tiny scratches, I used a micro fiber cloth as a guard between the the paint, the tool, and the trim.

To remove the door card / trim I followed instructions on these two videos

The first one tells you how to remove the panels and access the mirror’s mounting hardware. The second one covers the panel remove as well but also tells you how to remove the tweeter speaker assembly that covers the mounting bolts for the mirror.

You will need a Torx 20 bit to remove the 5 screws on each panel. I found the panels to be more difficult to get off the first time during my dry run of the process then on second time. I think this is why the process looks so easy in the shorter video I posted to above because the guy had probably removed the panels a few times before.

Once you remove the mirrors with a Torx 30 bit you might be in for a shock when you install the new ones. I didn’t know that new mirrors from BMW use self threading / tapping screws to thread the mounting holes for the mirror. A quick check on RealOEM verified the mounting screws are self threading so you might want to buy six new ones if you are going to do the job yourself.

With the mirror not mounted to the car I “married” each screw to its own hole with a few turns to get the threads started, marked each screw to its hole with a pen and then installed the mirror on the car by returning each screw to its original hole. When mounting the mirror against the car make sure to get the rubber window gasket properly aligned near the door hinge. To secure the mirror I then I worked each of the three screws down a little bit of a time, cycling through all 3, until the mirror was flush against the car.

I couldn’t find any torque specs for the screws but a friend of mine wiggled the mirror while I checked to make sure that none of the screws or their washers moved anymore.

Installation of the door card / panel is essentially opposite of the removal process. I secured the rubber window gasket back into place put the tweeter housing back over the mirror mounting position. The tweeter plastic cover, the piece that has the grill and logo is tricky to get back on securely. Check the two tabs at the bottom of the piece and make sure they are engaged.

Once the panel was back on the door I made sure to secure the clips along the window edge by squeezing the panel and door frame every 6 inches or so until I heard a pop. This might be easy to miss because the panel trim fits tightly against the top of the door but the seams look a little off. It is useful to compare the alignment to the other door so you know what you are aiming for.

Getting the carbon fiber door handle trim back on was a pain too. I am thrilled with how the project turned out.

Looks good, thanks for the tutorials. Did you get the caps painted at a local paint shop?
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2019, 03:22 PM   #32
hassr
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

Quote:
Looks good, thanks for the tutorials. Did you get the caps painted at a local paint shop?
Yeah, I did. Steve, the owner of Collision Too, out of Eugene, Oregon knocked them out for me. He matched the color as well as I could've hoped. I also ordered the parts from BMW of Eugene.
Appreciate 1
qnet676.00
      01-12-2019, 07:00 PM   #33
M2OG
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: a car

Quote:
Quote:
Elaborate on "side assembly"

Are you looking for the entire unit or just the plastic outer shell or...?
I meant the entire thing. My drivers mirror was twisted backwards and now has a slight wobble. It's ghetto but some time has passed and now I kinda like it for some reason
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2019, 07:10 PM   #34
AndrewC1989
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
My drivers mirror was twisted backwards and now has a slight wobble.
I'd have sent you mine for free had I not already given them to another forum member in need.

Either way this sounds like a good excuse to upgrade to M2C mirrors
Appreciate 3
M2OG399.00
qnet676.00
      01-13-2019, 12:49 PM   #35
abirmaher
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M2 & 2024 BMW X1 M35i

Garage List
  [0.00]
2018 BMW M2  [10.00]
Going to order parts, but curious if anyone has a diy guide on this? Seems fairly straightforward but would love to have a bit more guidance.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2019, 08:34 PM   #36
das_m2
Private
Rep
Drives: AW M2

Thanks again for the video, it looks very easy. I just ordered mine from getbmwparts. I'm too excited.
      01-29-2019, 02:22 PM   #37
qnet
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Just ordered these from the same place as OP. Price was €999 plus shipping which comes out to ~$1250USD.

Parts for LHD cars are as follows:

Auto Folding Mirrors:

51168076669 + 51168080454

Unpainted Caps:

51168059545 + 51168059546

Heated/Dimmed Wide Angle Euro Glass:

51168059567 + 51168059568
andrewc89,

When I copy and paste your part numbers on ************************, the prices are higher than what you quoted in the other thread. The total price comes out to over $1500.00 shipped, were as your price came out to 1253.00 including shipping.

Do you have to talk to the guy named Uwe to get your price or will they take out the VAT and the prices will come down when/if I check out?

I'm still trying to decide between the place you used or getbmwparts. I don't minding paying the extra $200 or so with the former, but it would be nice to have the wide-angle mirrors.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2019, 02:28 PM   #38
AndrewC1989
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
andrewc89,

When I copy and paste your part numbers on ************************, the prices are higher than what you quoted in the other thread. The total price comes out to over $1500.00 shipped, were as your price came out to 1253.00 including shipping.

Do you have to talk to the guy named Uwe to get your price or will they take out the VAT and the prices will come down when/if I check out?

I'm still trying to decide between the place you used or getbmwparts. I don't minding paying the extra $200 or so with the former, but it would be nice to have the wide-angle mirrors.
I ordered mine via their instant messenger system (bottom right hand corner of their site) and spoke to Uwe who emailed me my invoice. I didn't order through the website in the normal way so I couldn't tell you if the price comes down at checkout or not. I would think that it would once it deducts the VAT (assuming they haven't raised their prices due to the influx of people ordering). I'd suggest you shoot them an instant message or email to find out.
Appreciate 2
qnet676.00
      01-29-2019, 02:44 PM   #39
krizze
Lieutenant
Czech_Republic
Rep
Drives: 718 GT4 -Skoda Octavia VRS

It's the way to go
Attached Images

Appreciate 3
AndrewC198910903.50
qnet676.00
      01-30-2019, 11:12 AM   #40
qnet
Major
United_States
Rep

Thanks andrew89 and everyone else. I took the plunge and just ordered the full retrofit from getbmwparts.com. I may or maynot do the wide-angle mirrors later. Learning how to adjust my mirrors at the performance center helped a lot, and with the longer more slick M mirrors, visibility will be even better.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2019, 11:44 AM   #41
das_m2
Private
Rep
Drives: AW M2

Quote:
Thanks andrew89 and everyone else. I took the plunge and just ordered the full retrofit from getbmwparts.com. I may or maynot do the wide-angle mirrors later. Learning how to adjust my mirrors at the performance center helped a lot, and with the longer more slick M mirrors, visibility will be even better.

Mine come in the mail tomorrow from the same place......can't stop refreshing ups tracking!
      02-11-2019, 03:59 PM   #42
Poochie
Luxury at the redline :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

Quote:
Quote:
Not only do they look amazing, but your visibility is increased, they fold faster
Hey Andrew,

Sorry to revive an old-ish thread but I'm late to the party and I have a question about your F82 side mirror retrofit.

You claim that they "fold faster" as oppose to the stock M2 mirror. Do you happen to have a video or link of them folding in progress?

I've been digging up some videos of them folding and I don't notice discernible difference in speed between the two.

Trying to convince myself they're worth it..

Thanx in advance.

Appreciate 0
      02-11-2019, 04:20 PM   #43
AndrewC1989
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poochie View Post

Hey Andrew,

Sorry to revive an old-ish thread but I'm late to the party and I have a question about your F82 side mirror retrofit.

You claim that they "fold faster" as oppose to the stock M2 mirror. Do you happen to have a video or link of them folding in progress?

I've been digging up some videos of them folding and I don't notice discernible difference in speed between the two.

Thanx in advance.

Not sure that the motor actually operates faster, I think there's just a shorter distance for them to fold. Either way the time it takes for them to complete a fold cycle is noticeably different.

Just get them, you'll love them.
      02-11-2019, 08:20 PM   #44
qnet
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poochie View Post
Hey Andrew,

Thanx in advance.

That looks quicker to me, at least compared to my car. It also doesn't look like they fold as much, like they're going a shorter distance (as Andrew mentioned). It could be the angle I'm viewing it.

I agree with Andrew, go for it! Mine are due to arrive Wednesday. My only concern now is, who is going to paint the caps. I may just go to my dealers body shop/ collision center.
Appreciate 0