BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > The Sports Lounge > I miss the NBA of this era... just saying

05-21-2018, 08:53 PM   #45
NickyC
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: M4 CS. Former G82, x2 F82, F80

These games are unwatchable, just like last year it seems every playoff game is a blowout. This era sucks. Anybody who says this era has more talent and is more fun to watch than the Jordan years needs a brain tune up.

If Jordan saw these modern defenses (or lack there of), and with refs blowing whistles if the guy gets within a foot of the ball, he averages 50 a game without breaking a sweat. His skill level was so far above anybody today it's a joke.
Appreciate 3
Soul_Glo13282.50
shay2nak1070.00
      05-21-2018, 08:55 PM   #46
dsad1
Colonel
Rep
Drives: car

This era for sure has more talent, but a lot less heart.
Appreciate 1
Soul_Glo13282.50
      05-21-2018, 09:36 PM   #47
Jhanksm3
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2023 G80 M3 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickyC View Post
These games are unwatchable, just like last year it seems every playoff game is a blowout. This era sucks. Anybody who says this era has more talent and is more fun to watch than the Jordan years needs a brain tune up.

If Jordan saw these modern defenses (or lack there of), and with refs blowing whistles if the guy gets within a foot of the ball, he averages 50 a game without breaking a sweat. His skill level was so far above anybody today it's a joke.
If u believe Jordan skill level is way above these guys then i dont know what u watching friend
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2018, 11:15 PM   #48
NickyC
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: M4 CS. Former G82, x2 F82, F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhanksevo View Post
If u believe Jordan skill level is way above these guys then i dont know what u watching friend
Jordan, 50 a game average with the shitty defense and no hand checking rules of today. The man got the crap beat out of him by some of the toughest teams of all time, and never averaged less than 30 points a game in THE PLAYOFFS. (his lifetime playoff average in the playoffs was 33.45). TEN (10) scoring titles, while having the highest scoring average over a career OF ALL TIME (30.12). This includes his declining years, Lebron (the greatest of this generation) couldn't hope to match any of those numbers even if he had another 15 years of prime!

6-0 in NBA championship finals, NEVER EVEN GOT TO A GAME 7.

I could go on and on and on and on. By why bother? You're obviously very young and have no idea wtf you're talking about. Enjoy the toned down pussy era of nothing but five guys on the perimeter shooting threes all day.
Appreciate 3
pikkagtr3847.00
shay2nak1070.00
      05-22-2018, 05:59 AM   #49
EricVR4
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2023 X3 M40i

90s era NBA is still the best, but that's the one I grew up watching which probably leads to a little bias. I think the talent level was just insane back then and the refs let so much more "basketball" happen compared to now. The athleticism/player conditioning now is no-doubt better, because sports science has evolved ten-fold since the 90's but still....the games were just so much more fun to watch back then.

As others have said, it's not even important until the 4th quarter anymore and the regular season only matters so much. Money has pretty much ruined it. That being said though, I still watch it regularly because I'm a die-hard Rockets fan.
Appreciate 3
Soul_Glo13282.50
ny325895.00
shay2nak1070.00
      05-23-2018, 10:53 AM   #50
dsad1
Colonel
Rep
Drives: car

The superstars of yesterday are better than the superstars of today. But it is the role players of today that have so much more athletic ability and talent in my opinion.

That being said, because of the lack of heart of today's players, the 90's role players would still probably end up doing better.
Appreciate 1
ny325895.00
      05-26-2018, 02:35 PM   #51
Jhanksm3
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Jordan, 50 a game average with the shitty defense and no hand checking rules of today. The man got the crap beat out of him by some of the toughest teams of all time, and never averaged less than 30 points a game in THE PLAYOFFS. (his lifetime playoff average in the playoffs was 33.45). TEN (10) scoring titles, while having the highest scoring average over a career OF ALL TIME (30.12). This includes his declining years, Lebron (the greatest of this generation) couldn't hope to match any of those numbers even if he had another 15 years of prime!

I could go on and on and on and on. By why bother? You're obviously very young and have no idea wtf you're talking about. Enjoy the toned down pussy era of nothing but five guys on the perimeter shooting threes all day.
lmfao why did i even reply to this in the fiirst place i dont know. the talent of this era is way better than the talent of the 90s its not close. its called evolution my friend and in basketball it happens. jordan could not drop 50 a game in this league you are high ass hell and dumb as fuck. im pretty sure im not that toung in fact im probably older if not very close to your age unless you are old as hell and stuck in your close minded ways. I dont just play ball i watch it, study it, i love the game and the league has got better with time.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2018, 11:01 PM   #52
ny325
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Jet Black E90

I agree with NickyC. Jordon would have a field day playing in this era. No centers, no hand checking, no defense, no physicality, and a bunch of whistle happy referees, anticipating fouls. This era doesn’t come close to Jordon era. I ask this question, how many Hall of Famers has Leflop played against since he’s been in the league?
Appreciate 1
Soul_Glo13282.50
      05-26-2018, 11:37 PM   #53
pikkagtr
Go Spurs Go
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 GR Zupra

Quote:
lmfao why did i even reply to this in the fiirst place i dont know. the talent of this era is way better than the talent of the 90s its not close. its called evolution my friend and in basketball it happens. jordan could not drop 50 a game in this league you are high ass hell and dumb as fuck. im pretty sure im not that toung in fact im probably older if not very close to your age unless you are old as hell and stuck in your close minded ways. I dont just play ball i watch it, study it, i love the game and the league has got better with time.
'87 Jordan who scored more than 3000 points, won DPOY, All Star Game MVP, led the league in Steals and DID NOT even win the League MVP---Magic did
right.....the players today are better

Who's gona check Jordan 1on1? who's gona stop him from straight up dunking on every soft 3pt shooting no defense centers of today?
have you forgotten the Monsters who met Jordan at the rim with elbows out?
Ewing, Oakley, Rodman, Mason, Kemp, Barkley, Parish, Big Mark Eaton, Chambers

Jordan WOULD score 50 a game in this soft area
15+ft attempts at least
his first step is nasty
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2018, 09:47 AM   #54
Captain Blood
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: Audi S3....don't judge me

Garage List
2016 Audi S3  [9.50]
2012 135  [6.83]
So maybe this thread should be called
"I miss Michael Jordon". Above poster forgot to cite David Robinson. But he mentioned Shawn Kemp? I do not remember Jordan having big games against the Spurs. I would still think Magic is the greatest player ever.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2018, 10:03 AM   #55
kprocivic
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: ecoboost s to the t

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsaad1 View Post
The superstars of yesterday are better than the superstars of today. But it is the role players of today that have so much more athletic ability and talent in my opinion.

That being said, because of the lack of heart of today's players, the 90's role players would still probably end up doing better.
Great point.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2018, 11:45 AM   #56
Jhanksm3
Captain
Rep

Like I said this is laughable. You guys have your opinions and I have mine I'm sure there are no 7 foot guys in that era who has game like Kevin Durant. No 6 8 guys who have game like LeBron. Name 10 superstars of the 90s I'll name from 2000s. Jordan would not avg. 50 a game stop it..
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2018, 11:46 AM   #57
Jhanksm3
Captain
Rep

Jordan couldn't avg that being checked by hornacek and stockton. Let me guess they were superstars rt.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2018, 11:47 AM   #58
Jhanksm3
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ny325 View Post
I agree with NickyC. Jordon would have a field day playing in this era. No centers, no hand checking, no defense, no physicality, and a bunch of whistle happy referees, anticipating fouls. This era doesn’t come close to Jordon era. I ask this question, how many Hall of Famers has Leflop played against since he’s been in the league?
Against more than Jordan that's for sure
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2018, 11:50 AM   #59
Jhanksm3
Captain
Rep

You guys call it tougher because they could your ass that's it there wasn't better defense just more fouls
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2018, 01:20 PM   #60
ny325
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Jet Black E90

Please name a few hall of famers that were in there prime since Leflop been in the league. Try not to google the information. If you do, look up Bobby Jones, and who he played with. That’s just one of many teams.

Last edited by ny325; 05-27-2018 at 01:29 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2018, 02:02 PM   #61
pikkagtr
Go Spurs Go
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 GR Zupra

Quote:
Like I said this is laughable. You guys have your opinions and I have mine I'm sure there are no 7 foot guys in that era who has game like Kevin Durant. No 6 8 guys who have game like LeBron. Name 10 superstars of the 90s I'll name from 2000s. Jordan would not avg. 50 a game stop it..
Kds height counts for nothing he just gets hammered and then suffers a season ending injury
He's way too frail got that era of physical play
LeBron might have been ok , but the lack of a real jump shot and limited post game would make him easy to coral towards help defense
It's not about shooting, which really what most players today make a name for themselves with
It's fundamentals, foot work , bball iq that's lacking
Take Draymond for example , will he ever hope to make an all nba defense team in the 80s? Let alone win dpoy
So your best defender in the league last year was Draymond and he is a below avg defender in the era in which Jordan played. And you still don't think MJ would avg 50
Come on man
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2018, 02:09 PM   #62
Jhanksm3
Captain
Rep

I just don't get how u guys think that these players today wouldn't demolish the defenses of years past. I'm done arguing with u guys. This shit all hypothetical. Steve Kerr said it best and he played on those Jordan's team. I don't google shit I'm a student of the game I know basketball probably more than any of you in this post but that's neither here or there. Just don't see how u can say draymond is below avg in another era in which he didn't play. I'll let u all continue to believe that Jordan era was more talented and the defense was way better.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2018, 02:11 PM   #63
Jhanksm3
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ny325 View Post
Please name a few hall of famers that were in there prime since Leflop been in the league. Try not to google the information. If you do, look up Bobby Jones, and who he played with. That’s just one of many teams.
U r a jk guy. Duncan Garnett Paul pierce shaq kobe mcgrady Iverson Dirk j kidd d wade I can keep going if u like
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2018, 02:13 PM   #64
Jhanksm3
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikkagtr View Post
Kds height counts for nothing he just gets hammered and then suffers a season ending injury
He's way too frail got that era of physical play
LeBron might have been ok , but the lack of a real jump shot and limited post game would make him easy to coral towards help defense
It's not about shooting, which really what most players today make a name for themselves with
It's fundamentals, foot work , bball iq that's lacking
Take Draymond for example , will he ever hope to make an all nba defense team in the 80s? Let alone win dpoy
So your best defender in the league last year was Draymond and he is a below avg defender in the era in which Jordan played. And you still don't think MJ would avg 50
Come on man
I'm sure LeBron basketball is higher than everybody's u mentioned except maybe magic
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2018, 02:14 PM   #65
Mardio
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 X5

Quote:

Hand checking was eliminated in 96 so Jordan did play a good portion of his career with no handchecking.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2018, 03:23 PM   #66
Mardio
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 X5

I'm a child of the 80s so I've seen both sides of the argument. People claim the 80s and 90s were much more physical, they are right to an extent but the point is embellished. They certainly got technicals back then and plenty of fouls, they still had to be careful not to get fouled out. It wasn't the NFL as some people like to describe it.

The game was different back in the day. It was fought mostly in the paint. Guards were mostly assist men to the bigs (Stockton, Payton). Therefore the talent was mostly really big guys who could dominate inside.

Today's game is more of a run, gun, and shoot offense. It's a lot faster with outside shooting, it's a different mentality. Even some of the bigs in today's game can shoot threes with accuracy (Anthony Davis, Lebron etc...). Today's defense you have to cover more ground with guys being a threat on the perimeter, that opens up the game.

If Curry or Harden played back in the day they might struggle inside, but your not going to stop pure shooters no matter how much you pull and grab (yes they called fouls back then, lol). Likewise if Barkley and Ewing played today they would still dominate inside. However I question if they could keep up with today's pace, bigs no longer camp around the paint, they have to move out to the outside shooters.

My point being these are two different eras that are hard to compare, I think it comes down to what style you prefer personally.
Appreciate 1