02-27-2020, 09:27 AM   #1
MrMiaogi
Private
Rep
Drives: 2020 LBB M2 Competition

Garage List
2020 BMW M2C  [0.00]
Installing used M Performance Spoiler

Is there any information or step by step process on how to do this?

I understand needing a plastic bondo spreader, masking tape, rubbing alcohol and microfiber.

I'm stuck on whether I need 3M Adhesive or this betalink glue. This is an OEM M performance spoiler. The underside is very clean. I'm not even sure how much 3M tape I'd need and where to put it. Same goes for the betalink.

This will be my first time DIY something like this. I don't believe it's vastly complicated but I will take it to the dealer if installing a used one is someone more difficult and not worth my effort.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2020, 09:51 AM   #2
MystroX5
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2020 X7 M50i/ 911

It appears by other videos of this installation that there is 3M adhesive tape all the way around the perimeter of the bottom of the new spoiler. In my opinion, this is one step more difficult than reapplying emblems on the side of your car. I don’t think you’re going to screw it up if you use blue painters tape to mark the measured marks as a guide. Go for it.

I am probably going to be doing this mod this summer. Where did you find a used M performance spoiler?
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2020, 10:49 AM   #3
xxyion
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2024 M4 Competition xDrive

Use automotive 3m double sided tape. They are split up by pounds. I have found for a rear spoiler 30lbs is plenty strong enough. On my BRZ i had a rear spoiler only held on by 3M tape. Zero issues even at 90mph. If you are more worried about it staying on you can always use a higher lb tape.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2020, 10:51 AM   #4
Mosely
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '18 M2 | '20 X5 | '07 E92

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMiaogi View Post
Is there any information or step by step process on how to do this?

I understand needing a plastic bondo spreader, masking tape, rubbing alcohol and microfiber.

I'm stuck on whether I need 3M Adhesive or this betalink glue. This is an OEM M performance spoiler. The underside is very clean. I'm not even sure how much 3M tape I'd need and where to put it. Same goes for the betalink.

This will be my first time DIY something like this. I don't believe it's vastly complicated but I will take it to the dealer if installing a used one is someone more difficult and not worth my effort.
I did this recently. It's a tough job but definitely DIYable.

1. Use fishing line to take off the OEM spoiler - just go back and forth and it will cut the adhesive, takes 2 minutes
2. Buy 3M Eraser Wheel and hook up to handheld drill - I tried doing it without this (had 3M adhesive remover and goo-gone etc) and it was impossible, I got blisters on my thumbs after 4". The eraser wheel gets hot, make sure you take a break and let it cool before it gets too hot to touch. It left zero marring on my paint
3. Prep for install - final clean of any residual adhesive with alcohol or adhesive remover
4. Put blue tape down so you don't scratch the paint. Line up the new spoiler, then mark the edges with the tape so you can realign perfectly
5. Peel off 3M adhesive (if yours doesn't have this installed then apply yourself, make sure it doesn't bunch up anywhere and you may have to build a bit up at the edges so it doesn't lift)
6. Put it down on your marks and hold the edges down as long as you can (I used clamps and left it overnight).

Some people say you need beta-link or adhesive promote, I didn't use any of that and don't think it's necessary at all.

Appreciate 3
      02-27-2020, 12:44 PM   #5
MrMiaogi
Private
Rep
Drives: 2020 LBB M2 Competition

Garage List
2020 BMW M2C  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MystroX5 View Post
It appears by other videos of this installation that there is 3M adhesive tape all the way around the perimeter of the bottom of the new spoiler. In my opinion, this is one step more difficult than reapplying emblems on the side of your car. I don’t think you’re going to screw it up if you use blue painters tape to mark the measured marks as a guide. Go for it.

I am probably going to be doing this mod this summer. Where did you find a used M performance spoiler?
BMW M2 Competition group on Facebook. Think I got lucky. Fraction of OEM price and still in fantastic condition.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2020, 02:32 PM   #6
dtmurf
Captain
Rep
Drives: M2

Garage List
1996 BMW 318is  [4.75]
2012 Audi Q5  [4.50]
2017 BMW M2  [10.00]
I have some pics of installing mine at the link below. It was new but if you're going with a used one, I think you just need to make sure all of the old 3M / OEM tape is removed and clean both the trunk and the spoiler with alcohol to remove any residue. I added extra 3M tape, 3M adhesion promoter, and some clamps to ensure it was held down at the ends and in the middle. So far so good!

https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1659104
      02-27-2020, 08:47 PM   #7
Cycle Pilot
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2C

Don't use beta link. Here's what you want. Clean the car surface with isopropyl alcohol and use 3M adhesive promoter when attaching tape to spoiler.

3M 06384 Acrylic Plus Double Sided Attachment Tape 1/2" x 5yds

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B006QYB3JG..._56hwEb3T6GB06
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2020, 08:55 PM   #8
Got f1?
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 E46 ZHP, 20 X3M, M2CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosely View Post
I did this recently. It's a tough job but definitely DIYable.

1. Use fishing line to take off the OEM spoiler - just go back and forth and it will cut the adhesive, takes 2 minutes
2. Buy 3M Eraser Wheel and hook up to handheld drill - I tried doing it without this (had 3M adhesive remover and goo-gone etc) and it was impossible, I got blisters on my thumbs after 4". The eraser wheel gets hot, make sure you take a break and let it cool before it gets too hot to touch. It left zero marring on my paint
3. Prep for install - final clean of any residual adhesive with alcohol or adhesive remover
4. Put blue tape down so you don't scratch the paint. Line up the new spoiler, then mark the edges with the tape so you can realign perfectly
5. Peel off 3M adhesive (if yours doesn't have this installed then apply yourself, make sure it doesn't bunch up anywhere and you may have to build a bit up at the edges so it doesn't lift)
6. Put it down on your marks and hold the edges down as long as you can (I used clamps and left it overnight).

Some people say you need beta-link or adhesive promote, I didn't use any of that and don't think it's necessary at all.
This is it exactly. Did mine this way (minus the eraser unfortunately). No issues at all. 142mph at Mid Ohio no issues in 7 months.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2020, 03:14 PM   #9
Betaone
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW M2C

I have installed carbon M spoilers twice. I was not satisfied with my first application. The carbon spoiler does not always fit perfectly with the sheet metal of the car and is very rigid and does not deform like plastic to fit the shape of the sheet metal. To detach both the original spoiler and M spoiler I protected the car sheet metal with adhesive tape. I used dental floss to cut double-sided adhesive tape . To remove adhesive residue I used white oil . In Italy is easily found . It is also great for dissolving glue and tar without ruining car paint. Removed any adhesive residue cleaned with soap and water first, then with alcohol. The hardest thing was to remove any double-sided adhesive residue from the carbon spoiler. I warmed it slightly with hairdryer and detached it with a lot of patience with my fingers.
Applied specific double-sided adhesive strip 3 M wide 9mm but it is also good wide 6mm. Try and try again the correct position before starting the application. You have to leave an excess strip of the double-sided adhesive tape to be able to detach it progressively leaving the spoiler leaning on the car sheet. I suggest you to start from the center towards the two ends. I advise you to leave at least 12 hours of weights to hold the spoiler on the sheet metal. I suggest you to leave some bags full of sand in order to distribute the load evenly.
https://www.ebay.it/itm/3m-80318-bia...EAAOSwdz9eIDeY
https://www.ebay.it/itm/PETROLIO-BIA...UAAOSwzZNb6UQJ
Appreciate 0