BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Competition Model > Foot get caught when clutching out?

02-26-2020, 10:44 AM   #23
xxyion
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2024 M4 Competition xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by bri1042 View Post
I'm not sure how these would do for all of you with such big feet, but these are my favorite driving shoes at this point. I have a couple of pairs:

https://piloti.com/
I was literally considering a pair of these. Good price and they look good too. I was thinking about getting a pair of these regardless of my issue since they would be great for when i autocross or for long drives.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2020, 12:42 PM   #24
bubsterino
Banned
Rep
Drives: none

fascinating. my entire life i've always used my whole leg. i've attempted to anchor my left heel but never got the hang of it.

this topic reminds me of learning that there are probably 5 different ways guitarists anchor (or don't) their picking hand on the bridge or even hold the pick. some anchor on the bridge, some use their pinky below the strings. it kind of blew my mind because once I learned "my way" when i was young, i just always assumed it was "THE way".

I feel like i'd have to strengthen my calves / ankle to pull off the heel anchor. just feels so odd to me because i have 25 years of not doing it that way.
Appreciate 2
Moflow2484.50
MMMBRAP975.50
      02-26-2020, 02:12 PM   #25
xxyion
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubsterino View Post
fascinating. my entire life i've always used my whole leg. i've attempted to anchor my left heel but never got the hang of it.

this topic reminds me of learning that there are probably 5 different ways guitarists anchor (or don't) their picking hand on the bridge or even hold the pick. some anchor on the bridge, some use their pinky below the strings. it kind of blew my mind because once I learned "my way" when i was young, i just always assumed it was "THE way".

I feel like i'd have to strengthen my calves / ankle to pull off the heel anchor. just feels so odd to me because i have 25 years of not doing it that way.
Haha yeah i just figured out when i was 16 that this was the best way to give me precise clutch control without needing to use my entire leg.

You are correct in the guitarist thing too (i'm a musician and in a band). My guitarist has gone through multiple different ways of holding his pick until at the end of the day he realized what works best for him is what is just going to be "best for him". Hell Mike Portnoy (hall of fame drummer if you dont know) technically holds his sticks wrong but look where he is.

I dont think theres ever a "right" way to doing things. But more a "right for you" way of doing things.
Appreciate 2
Moflow2484.50
      02-26-2020, 09:13 PM   #26
skier219
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i, M2C, Ferrari 328

Size 11.5 shoes here and I have never had a problem, even with work boots. I don't think I use my heel when operating the clutch but can't say I have really paid attention.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2020, 10:40 PM   #27
bubsterino
Banned
Rep
Drives: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxyion View Post
Quote:

Haha yeah i just figured out when i was 16 that this was the best way to give me precise clutch control without needing to use my entire leg.

You are correct in the guitarist thing too (i'm a musician and in a band). My guitarist has gone through multiple different ways of holding his pick until at the end of the day he realized what works best for him is what is just going to be "best for him". Hell Mike Portnoy (hall of fame drummer if you dont know) technically holds his sticks wrong but look where he is.

I dont think theres ever a "right" way to doing things. But more a "right for you" way of doing things.
if you haven't seen troy grady's cracking the code on youtube, I highly recommend it! it's fascinating.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2020, 05:48 AM   #28
hlm2c
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxyion View Post
I was literally considering a pair of these. Good price and they look good too. I was thinking about getting a pair of these regardless of my issue since they would be great for when i autocross or for long drives.
If you do end up buying a pair, straight pipes advertised a code for 15% off for them a while back in one of their Youtube videos. If I remember the code correctly, it was "straightpipes15".

Also with BMS clutch stops, not sure if you are tracking already, but some people run into transmission synchro issues after a while using them and some never have issues. Just something to take into consideration when deciding to use a clutch stop or not. YMMV
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2020, 08:05 AM   #29
MMMBRAP
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: A Car

Quote:

+1

When I started learning how to drive MT, I actually started learning using my entire leg, but found that (for me anyway, most likely due to my height aka short legs), doing so just wasn't that precise, especially at red lights/stop signs when I have to go back to neutral and engage 1st.

I experimented with my heel planted (didn't even know it was a thing) and quickly found I could adjust the clutch PRECISELY and gain far better control and really enjoyed it.

It's been my habit ever since.
Appreciate 1
      02-27-2020, 10:19 AM   #30
xxyion
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMMBRAP View Post
+1

When I started learning how to drive MT, I actually started learning using my entire leg, but found that (for me anyway, most likely due to my height aka short legs), doing so just wasn't that precise, especially at red lights/stop signs when I have to go back to neutral and engage 1st.

I experimented with my heel planted (didn't even know it was a thing) and quickly found I could adjust the clutch PRECISELY and gain far better control and really enjoyed it.

It's been my habit ever since.
Yeah this is basically me as well. Its never using the clutch when i'm already on the move, but more when i need that super precise control at stop lights, parking lots, reversing. Its just easier to hold the clutch halfway out with an anchor point rather than floating your entire leg and hoping it doesnt get tired.
Appreciate 0