BMW M2 Forum > M2 vs... > 2018 cayman gts vs 2020 m2 competition

01-04-2020, 11:17 PM   #1
maguir2
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 M3

2018 cayman gts vs 2020 m2 competition

Just as the title says... a little background. I have a 2020 dct M2 competition for around 6 months. Car is amazing but I made the wrong choice of getting dct...therefore I was looking for some other alternatives and I found a new 2018 (yeah 2 years old but it seems new) cayman gts Manual. Car is well discounted because it has been sitting at the dealer. Would you make a move or try to enjoy the m2? M2 is my DD and the cayman would be too. Single no kids.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2020, 09:19 AM   #2
c1pher
Primo Generalissimo
United_States
Rep
Drives: All of them

Garage List
The manual in the 718 is pretty awesome. I have a base 718 and can say I’ve never missed a shift or had any other issues. There is a short shift kit, but have decided to leave it as is for now. I don’t DD the Boxster, but it’s certainly up to it and very comfortable to drive. Try one on and see what you think.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2020, 12:20 PM   #3
natmad
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M2C 6MT, M3C Build Week 43

I’m curious... what do you not like about the DCT?

I enjoy the involvement of the manual. However, sometimes I wonder if I would enjoy the quick shifts of the DCT while accelerating in daily driving.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2020, 02:21 PM   #4
maguir2
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by natmad View Post
I’m curious... what do you not like about the DCT?

I enjoy the involvement of the manual. However, sometimes I wonder if I would enjoy the quick shifts of the DCT while accelerating in daily driving.
I think just the involvement of shifting gears is what I miss. I dont need to have the fastest shifts when I'm going to work. But I know that the hit in the trade in will make me wait a little bit
Appreciate 1
natmad667.00
      01-06-2020, 07:05 AM   #5
nomoracin
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Porsche GTS 4.0

Garage List
I've been contemplating trading my M2C in for something else and the Porsche Cayman was one of my options, but I'm all over the place. One day I want to trade it...another day I just want to keep it.

Reasons to trade:
- the crank hub ticking time bomb freaks me out (I'm on Stage 1 BM3, so I think my warranty is done)
- the poor oil cooler location
- doesn't look sporty enough stock; it's missing "something"
- doesn't sound all that great stock
- about to have our first baby, but the wife has an X5, so that's not a biggie

Cars I've considered...

- 2016 Cayman GT4; I test drove this, but was disappointed with the power...but I think it's because I'm just so used to the boost feeling, so that's not fair. I loved everything else about it though...suspension, the way the shifter feels, the looks
- 2017/2018 M3 ZCP; it looks better than M2C, 4 doors (baby coming), I would probably get a DCT this time around as I'm downsizing to 2 cars (the Jeep's lease is up in March), but I would still have the S55 concerns
- 2017/2018 Guilia Quad; need to do more research b/c I assumed they were AWD, but I'm only finding RWD on Cars.com
- 2020 Rubicon; I've had 3 Jeeps already, so I'm kind of getting tired of them, but the JL model is so much nicer than my JK
- 1992-2005 NSX; this was my childhood dream car, but it's just so expensive for what it is power/tech wise...plus I'm not mechanical so the upkeep of an old car scares me off
- 2012-2014 GTR; it's a monster, but it's just so big
- 2012ish R8 v10; need to do more research
- 2020 Telluride; it's a big bang for the bucks vehicle, but...it's a KIA! haha
- 2020 4runner TRD PRO; I love the way it looks, but it's so dated...no LED option, 5 speed tranny, old interior tech
- 2020 CRV; trying to be sensible, but IDK
- 2020 RAV4; trying to be sensible, but IDK
- 2020 Highlander; trying to be sensible, but IDK

I know I know...I'm all over the place. I'm really hesitant to spend more than what my M2C is worth (53k - 55k) though because I really don't want to pay the ridiculous personal property tax (VA) out of spite, so that eliminates half those cars, but I may give in and go YOLO...who knows? 1st world problems!
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2020, 02:54 AM   #6
chris719
Major General
Rep
Drives: '08 M Roadster

Since you live in Virginia, I suggest you get the slowest car possible. The speeding penalties are draconian.
Appreciate 2
nomoracin758.00
natmad667.00
      01-10-2020, 09:40 AM   #7
nomoracin
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
I'm leaning back towards a Jeep, but the Moab edition instead. I like how it has the looks of a Rubicon, but it has the functionality of the Sahara (it has the Jeep's version of AWD; Select Trac Full Time 4wd).

...plus it's probably the slowest on my list @chris719 haha
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2020, 09:51 AM   #8
Conissah
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomoracin View Post
I'm leaning back towards a Jeep, but the Moab edition instead. I like how it has the looks of a Rubicon, but it has the functionality of the Sahara (it has the Jeep's version of AWD; Select Trac Full Time 4wd).

SRT Jeep all the way... Fun and practical. Done.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2020, 11:39 AM   #9
ROASTM
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '20 M2C; '06 M3; '07 JKU

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conissah View Post
SRT Jeep all the way... Fun and practical. Done.
This, or a nicely optioned Sahara/Rubicon JLU!
Appreciate 1
nomoracin758.00
      01-12-2020, 08:47 AM   #10
nomoracin
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Well, decision made yesterday...

...picked up a new JLU Rubicon

My buddy got me 12.5k off of MSRP so I couldnt resist.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2020, 09:16 AM   #11
c1pher
Primo Generalissimo
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:

Try out a 2015-2017 Macan Turbo. You can find them at fairly good precise relative to original MSRP. Plus they are tunable, so it’s easy to get another 40-50hp out of them without issue.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2020, 09:16 AM   #12
c1pher
Primo Generalissimo
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Well, decision made yesterday...

...picked up a new JLU Rubicon

My buddy got me 12.5k off of MSRP so I couldnt resist.
Doh.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2020, 11:15 AM   #13
Hegge
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M2 CS

Quote:
I've been contemplating trading my M2C in for something else and the Porsche Cayman was one of my options, but I'm all over the place. One day I want to trade it...another day I just want to keep it.

Reasons to trade:
- the crank hub ticking time bomb freaks me out (I'm on Stage 1 BM3, so I think my warranty is done)

Cars I've considered...

- 2016 Cayman GT4; I test drove this, but was disappointed with the power...but I think it's because I'm just so used to the boost feeling, so that's not fair. I loved everything else about it though...suspension, the way the shifter feels, the looks
- 2017/2018 M3 ZCP; it looks better than M2C, 4 doors (baby coming), I would probably get a DCT this time around as I'm downsizing to 2 cars (the Jeep's lease is up in March), but I would still have the S55 concerns
- 2017/2018 Guilia Quad; need to do more research b/c I assumed they were AWD, but I'm only finding RWD on Cars.com
- 2020 Rubicon; I've had 3 Jeeps already, so I'm kind of getting tired of them, but the JL model is so much nicer than my JK
- 1992-2005 NSX; this was my childhood dream car, but it's just so expensive for what it is power/tech wise...plus I'm not mechanical so the upkeep of an old car scares me off
- 2020 4runner TRD PRO; I love the way it looks, but it's so dated...no LED option, 5 speed tranny, old interior tech

I know I know...I'm all over the place. I'm really hesitant to spend more than what my M2C is worth (53k - 55k) though because I really don't want to pay the ridiculous personal property tax (VA) out of spite, so that eliminates half those cars, but I may give in and go YOLO...who knows? 1st world problems!
That is my problem with the Cayman as well: lack of power. You may want to look at a used 911 for power assuming it's in your budget.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2020, 11:31 AM   #14
nomoracin
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hegge View Post
Quote:

Reasons to trade:

Cars I've considered...

That is my problem with the Cayman as well: lack of power. You may want to look at a used 911 for power assuming it's in your budget.
Ah, thanks, but I decided to just keep my M2C and I bought a new Rubicon (returned my '17 jeep lease 2 months early). I think that is a great combo to have (plus the wife has an X5)
Appreciate 0