Rep
Drives: 2002 M5;2007 M Coupe;2020 M2C

Garage List
2020 M2 Competition  [10.00]
2007 E86 M coupe  [8.38]
2002 E39 M5  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPR View Post
Extended test drive? What's that? I haven't driven any BMW's in my current car hunt. What I've test driven so far only include an Audi S3 and RS3. The S3 had me sold until the uncomfortable seats unsold me.

ZCP is the competition package? I am unfamiliar with what packages provide what. I really want the CF roof and the competition package seats.
Extended test drive = basically how long you want it. Doesn't have to be overnight, but you want it long enough to have an understanding of how it drives on the roads that you regularly use. Your local dealer should have a M240i demo for this purpose, and if you are perceived as a serious buyer, you shouldn't have any trouble testing a used car in such a manner.

Yes, before M started putting badges on the competition models, the competition package was an option, often designated ZCP. CF roof is standard unless the sunroof (no-cost option) was ordered. Competition seats are only in the ZCP package, but they are the same as the non-competition seats except for the visual cut-outs and the resultant lumbar support delete.
2021 Kia Telluride (hauler)
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2019, 07:21 PM   #68
MPR
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 22 BMW M240i

For those with an M2 who DD with mostly highway miles, how many miles do you get out of a tank? Reading around I am seeing many have to fill up at the 200 mile mark. I may have to go M240, or something else, if this is the case as I drive 95 miles a day for work. I currently fill up every 3-4 days in my BRZ, I'd hate to tighten that up even more.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2019, 08:59 PM   #69
ae03440
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 18' M2 & 20' X3 M40i

Quote:
For those with an M2 who DD with mostly highway miles, how many miles do you get out of a tank? Reading around I am seeing many have to fill up at the 200 mile mark. I may have to go M240, or something else, if this is the case as I drive 95 miles a day for work. I currently fill up every 3-4 days in my BRZ, I'd hate to tighten that up even more.
I do roughly 60-65 miles round trip 5 days a week and refill around the 240-250 mile mark. I'm def filling up twice a week. I feel like I'm at the gas station every other day, but it's all so worth it!
Appreciate 1
smknjoe234.00
      01-06-2020, 12:58 PM   #70
POMFKIMOCHI
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240i 6MT/RWD EBII

Quote:
I may have to go M240, or something else, if this is the case as I drive 95 miles a day for work. I currently fill up every 3-4 days in my BRZ, I'd hate to tighten that up even more.
I can confidently say that I get almost equivalent if not better gas mileage as my friend's stock frs vs my stage 2 m240i, with him being quite conservative considering he's still on stock clutch/plugs at 150k+ and me still dumping it under every tunnel and race opportunity I see/smell
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2020, 06:14 PM   #71
MPR
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by POMFKIMOCHI View Post
I can confidently say that I get almost equivalent if not better gas mileage as my friend's stock frs vs my stage 2 m240i, with him being quite conservative considering he's still on stock clutch/plugs at 150k+ and me still dumping it under every tunnel and race opportunity I see/smell
Yeah I'm confident with the fuel economy situation with the M240i. At this point I may hold out until mid-2020 hoping that news drops on the 2021 S3 redesign. If they'd just put comfortable seats in the thing I'd be sold.

Below are my opinions, and the M240i checks more boxes considering this is a daily and I would drive nearly 100 miles a day for work. I haven't driven either yet so I can't honestly say which I'd like better. If a pristine M2 shows up locally and the price is right, I may go for it.

M2:
The good:
- It's a true M, I'd have a more pride driving it.
- Love the wide fenders
- While not a factor, it has more power
- Would feel less douchey driving it than a non M BMW

The bad:
- Would need to buy used
- No interior color options
- No adaptive suspension - I get because racecar, but this would be a daily for me.
- Will need to refuel every 2.5 trips to work (every Monday, Wednesday, Friday)?
- Crank hub issue that I would need to have replaced.
- It's an M, but doesn't feel quite as M as the M3. Interior is much nicer in the M3.

M240i:
The good:
- Can buy new
- Can get interior/exterior in the exact combo that I want
- Can get the same fuel economy as my BRZ - Refuel every 3-4 days.
- B58 motor
- Probably cheaper to maintain
- Insane power output considering the fuel economy

The bad:
- Possibly would regret not getting a true M
- Not a huge fan of the shape, really wish the fenders were a little wider

Last edited by MPR; 01-06-2020 at 07:26 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2020, 08:36 PM   #72
Montaver
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 718 GT4 & M340i LCI

If your doing 100 miles a day, absolutely get an M4. Better seats, much more refined (less NVH), adaptive suspension, far better sound system (the M2 system is crap), bigger fuel tank.

Really not necessary to upgrade the crank hub on the S55 in the M2C/F80/82 unless you are tuned. N55 doesnt need it at all.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2020, 12:02 PM   #73
Towerworld
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: R

Quote:
Decided to get something new and was close to purchasing an S3 but found that the seats are uncomfortable compared to those in the S4 and with further reading the S3 is pretty much a VW in Audi clothing. I still love how it looks, but with how much I drive, I can't be uncomfortable.

I then began considering BMW and was looking into the M240i which in most reviews wins over the S3. With it having the B58 which is shared with the Supra makes me a little more confident in the reliability department.

I then started considering a lightly used M2. I found some 2017/2018's with around 10k for high 40's, which will end up being cheaper than a new M240i. The M2 does have the N series motor which I've read mixed things about from a reliability perspective. I did some searching and found plenty of 335's with over 100k for sale so it looks like they are holding up.

I drive 46 miles each way for work, 4-5 days a week, so around 100 per day, 25k or so per year. My current car, a 2013 Subaru BRZ has held up well since it had 6 miles on the clock, now at 170k and still on the original front brake pads.

Those who have experience with the M2, what are your thoughts on long term reliability and maintenance costs with the number of highway miles I drive? Safer to go M2 or M240i? I don't track or anything, really just want a fun daily, thinking the M2 will put a bigger smile on my face, but I think I'd be happy with either.
Test drive both of them, each have their respective benefits.
M240 will have better ride quality, reduced road noise,better grip during acceleration(with Xdrive),better mpg, more features and likely more interior options and close to the same power level.
M2 will be slightly faster, handle far better, provide more driver feedback, sounds better, has a revvier more exciting engine, Looks better and will have higher residual values.

I personally would take the M2 as i am willing to sacrifice some comfort and efficiency for a sportier ride even for a DD but it depends on what your priorities are. I think the M2 will be equally as comfortable as your BRZ but you'll be paying alot more in gas.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2020, 07:06 PM   #74
MPR
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Towerworld View Post
Test drive both of them, each have their respective benefits.
M240 will have better ride quality, reduced road noise,better grip during acceleration(with Xdrive),better mpg, more features and likely more interior options and close to the same power level.
M2 will be slightly faster, handle far better, provide more driver feedback, sounds better, has a revvier more exciting engine, Looks better and will have higher residual values.

I personally would take the M2 as i am willing to sacrifice some comfort and efficiency for a sportier ride even for a DD but it depends on what your priorities are. I think the M2 will be equally as comfortable as your BRZ but you'll be paying alot more in gas.
Samesies. I prefer a driver feedback and a stiffer ride, I have my BRZ on Eibach Pro-Kit which is stiffer but not annoying stiff. I think I am ok with the ride quality, it's just the fuel economy. Stopping to get gas every 3-3.5 days is annoying as it is. Might have to look at the M3, "sadly", but that will be fun too.

I wish I could drive the thing for a week to get a feel for my fuel usage.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2020, 08:32 PM   #75
BallHog5873
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 997.2 Manual, 2016 328D Wagon

Quote:
Samesies. I prefer a driver feedback and a stiffer ride, I have my BRZ on Eibach Pro-Kit which is stiffer but not annoying stiff. I think I am ok with the ride quality, it's just the fuel economy. Stopping to get gas every 3-3.5 days is annoying as it is. Might have to look at the M3, "sadly", but that will be fun too.

I wish I could drive the thing for a week to get a feel for my fuel usage.
I started out in a '17 M240 and six months ago sold it bc I fell in love with an M2 after driving one in the canyons for an afternoon. The M2 is definitely a pure sports car, the handling, the sound, the looks. But the 240 is great as well, while I am absolutely happy with my M2 purchase my thoughts on your situation are this:

* As a daily, I do prefer the 240. In bumper to bumper traffic the M2 can feel little jerky ( DCT ) and heavier. The 240 def feels more tossable and nimble. But....I can live with it and prefer the better handling of the M2 when I take it out.
If i had your long commute in traffic Im not sure I would go M2.

* The 240 is plenty sporty and fast but when really pushed can feel a little squirrelly. If all you do is sporty city driving and occasional back roads, and want one car that you can daily, it might be for you. But don't buy new! Do no pay 50k for an M240. You will lose 15k in prob a little over a year. They are not holding value like M2. Buy a lightly used one.

* As for MPG I am only getting one MPG less in the M2 than I did in the 240.

* The 240 in sport mode is still pretty stiff compared to most cars, if thats what you like.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2020, 08:49 PM   #76
MPR
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BallHog5873 View Post
I started out in a '17 M240 and six months ago sold it bc I fell in love with an M2 after driving one in the canyons for an afternoon. The M2 is definitely a pure sports car, the handling, the sound, the looks. But the 240 is great as well, while I am absolutely happy with my M2 purchase my thoughts on your situation are this:

* As a daily, I do prefer the 240. In bumper to bumper traffic the M2 can feel little jerky ( DCT ) and heavier. The 240 def feels more tossable and nimble. But....I can live with it and prefer the better handling of the M2 when I take it out.
If i had your long commute in traffic Im not sure I would go M2.

* The 240 is plenty sporty and fast but when really pushed can feel a little squirrelly. If all you do is sporty city driving and occasional back roads, and want one car that you can daily, it might be for you. But don't buy new! Do no pay 50k for an M240. You will lose 15k in prob a little over a year. They are not holding value like M2. Buy a lightly used one.

* As for MPG I am only getting one MPG less in the M2 than I did in the 240.

* The 240 in sport mode is still pretty stiff compared to most cars, if thats what you like.
Thanks for your feedback.

My commute is long but for 80% of it I am going 75-80MPH in a straight line. I do hit traffic occasionally and am used to rowing gears through this in my BRZ. Ultimately I am trying to avoid getting into a boring car, I think it would be cool to have a true M car. Yeah, I get the M240i likely will not be boring, but from what I read, the M2 will put a smile on your face every day.

Regarding buying a used M240, I would be ok with that, but finding a white/red combo in MT, with low miles, locally will probably tough. I really do not take resale into consideration since when I buy a car, I keep it for 6-7 years since I rack up miles quickly which kills resale of any car. I'll be at 190k on the 7 year mark in my BRZ..purchased with 6 miles in 2013.
Appreciate 0