BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 CS Model > Poll: Will You Accept an M2 CS Allocation?

View Poll Results: Would you take an M2 CS allocation at MSRP?
Yes - M2 CS will be a limited edition masterpiece 30 22.90%
No - I don't see the value / still love my OG M2 49 37.40%
No - I don't see the value / still love my M2 Comp 38 29.01%
No - I'll wait for the next gen M2, M3 or M4 14 10.69%
Voters: 131. You may not vote on this poll

02-26-2020, 09:30 AM   #45
sdhotwn
Mmmm... Bavarian
Rep
Drives: M2 CS, X5 45e, i3, Cayman S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharasuke View Post
Any thoughts on this from someone else? Would you prefer M2CS or cayman GTS 4.0?
I can share a brief comment based on the fact that I chose the M2CS over buying a 2016 GT4. The biggest factor was the "fun" on the street. The Cayman's gearing was too long, and the engine didn't come alive until higher rpm's. The M2 was far more playful and enjoyable for daily driving. There wasn't any question that the GT4 would be a more precise and rewarding track toy, but for the 6+ track days a year, compared to the dozens of daily drives and fun drives a year on my 3rd car it just didn't make sense. Add in the added utility of the back seats for me to include by kids, and a host of other ergonomic and sound issues (the Cayman was so loud with road noise I couldn't hold a conversation on some surfaces) that the CS was a very clear choice for me over the GT4. Now, the 718 4.0 may have different gearing and better road isolation that may turn that table around a bit, but the rear seat thing and a few other factors still makes it an easy decision for me specifically.
2014 Cayman S
Appreciate 2
      02-26-2020, 02:29 PM   #46
bdogk
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: M2CS,M4GTS,'21-X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdhotwn View Post
I can share a brief comment based on the fact that I chose the M2CS over buying a 2016 GT4. The biggest factor was the "fun" on the street. The Cayman's gearing was too long, and the engine didn't come alive until higher rpm's. The M2 was far more playful and enjoyable for daily driving. There wasn't any question that the GT4 would be a more precise and rewarding track toy, but for the 6+ track days a year, compared to the dozens of daily drives and fun drives a year on my 3rd car it just didn't make sense. Add in the added utility of the back seats for me to include by kids, and a host of other ergonomic and sound issues (the Cayman was so loud with road noise I couldn't hold a conversation on some surfaces) that the CS was a very clear choice for me over the GT4. Now, the 718 4.0 may have different gearing and better road isolation that may turn that table around a bit, but the rear seat thing and a few other factors still makes it an easy decision for me specifically.
I concur. The GT4 and M2 are really two different cars - specifically, the former only a 2 seater and minimal trunk space. So the M2 is way more practical as a DD. I'm on my 3rd M2 now, an M2Comp, and have my allocation in for the CS. Also, we really shouldn't judge the CS until we get some reviews. It will be interesting to see how the adaptive suspension and Cup2 tires will transform the car.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2020, 04:17 PM   #47
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by hjk View Post
Also, we really shouldn't judge the CS until we get some reviews.
We may all fairly assume that the M2 CS will be great to drive.

It just begs the question whether it's definitely worth its salt (cf. MSRP quoted for the M4 GTS, M4 CS and M3 CS). That's all.
      02-27-2020, 04:32 AM   #48
Sharasuke
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
Since late Autumn several new M2C M-DCT are available at Belgian BMW M dealers with discounts up to ~20% (see here).

Take a look and maybe there's an M2C featuring the body color, options and price that interests you. Mind you, the list has become shorter over time as, obviously, the big discounts attracted buyers. AFAIK none with manual transmission.

I've seen (very) well-equipped new M2C M-DCT move for less than ~€65K, which is ~€35.5K less than the official Belgian list price for an M2 CS M-DCT without options (€100,625) and ~€4.5K less than the official Belgian list price for an M2C M-DCT without options (€69,475). All through the official BMW network, advertised on the official BMW website - no third parties involved or resale.

For sure an M2C ain't an M2 CS, but the price difference is food for thought.
Thx for the list, unfortunately, no LBB's

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdhotwn View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by hjk View Post
I concur. The GT4 and M2 are really two different cars - specifically, the former only a 2 seater and minimal trunk space. So the M2 is way more practical as a DD. I'm on my 3rd M2 now, an M2Comp, and have my allocation in for the CS. Also, we really shouldn't judge the CS until we get some reviews. It will be interesting to see how the adaptive suspension and Cup2 tires will transform the car.
Thx for the info and comparisons. So no GT4 then, will check the internet for info on the gearing on base GTS if there is any.

The thing is I want this car to be kind of special, like don't really use it as DD, i'll get a beater for that.
And to keep this car my entire life (it's a dream of mine to own a sports car) so that's why I kinda want it to be perfect (manual and all) but no car is perfect so that's why it's hard to choose

M2C sound (S55) -> negative (I remember when someone in my street had an N55 M2, my god the sound!, but i still need to hear the S55 in person, so maybe it's not that bad)
GTS 4.0 straight line speed not that impressive but it is a NA! and it looks great, M2 as well
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2020, 06:29 AM   #49
sdhotwn
Mmmm... Bavarian
Rep

Quote:
Thx for the info and comparisons. So no GT4 then, will check the internet for info on the gearing on base GTS if there is any.

The thing is I want this car to be kind of special, like don't really use it as DD, i'll get a beater for that.
And to keep this car my entire life (it's a dream of mine to own a sports car) so that's why I kinda want it to be perfect (manual and all) but no car is perfect so that's why it's hard to choose
The GT4 was a 5 year dream, planning, and obsession of mine. It's still the desktop wallpaper on every computer in my house. Every car guy that knows me, knew I was planning to purchase one this spring. Then I test drove one late last fall and realized it was not the soulful fun toy I was dreamed it would be. After that I started shopping around and studied and tried out a few things, and the M2 blew me away on a test drive, and that's how I ended up at the M2 CS. Short version of the story.

Regarding sound... The Porsche did NOT sound nice exhaust wise from the inside (sounds great from the outside!) unless really wound out. The S55 sound has not bothered me from what I've heard of it, and from the interior I think the "rasp" is not as noticeable and it sounds much more engaging than other cars. It's distinctive and identifiable which is nice. Everything is relative as well, when it comes down to it to my ear they all sound like crap compared to the engine in the current GT350 which is still one of the most heavenly sounds being produced right now.
2014 Cayman S
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2020, 07:48 AM   #50
dmboone25
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2024 Golf R / 2022 718 Spyder

Garage List
2007 E92 328i  [10.00]
2007 328i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by F87_LCI View Post
Passed on my allocation. No color offered that I could live with and they wouldn't allow me to change it. Went to another brand. Bye BMW.
Yeah, that's where I ended up as well - not because of the color limitations (I love HS!), but because of the price. I couldn't get comfortable with 90K out the door for the CS...so I went CPO P car.

Now, that's not to say I dislike the CS or don't see its respective value. I think it's going to be great - I just wish it was in the mid 70s for MSRP, which would have been much better received IMO.
      02-27-2020, 07:55 AM   #51
sdhotwn
Mmmm... Bavarian
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmboone25 View Post
Yeah, that's where I ended up as well - not because of the color limitations (I love HS!), but because of the price. I couldn't get comfortable with 90K out the door for the CS...so I went CPO P car.

Now, that's not to say I dislike the CS or don't see its respective value. I think it's going to be great - I just wish it was in the mid 70s for MSRP, which would have been much better received IMO.
70s would have been a stunning value from my standpoint. I think we get spoiled/forget how good the M2C and M3/M4 are at their pricepoints.
2014 Cayman S
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2020, 10:23 AM   #52
F87_LCI
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2018 LBB F87

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmboone25 View Post

Price was less the issue for me (not trying to sound like an a-hole), although fully spec'd it would have been about $105K for a 2 series?? (that's in Moosebucks btw ), it was more BMW's complete unwillingness to work with what should have been a fairly simple request...to paint the car a colour that is already currently offered on the 2C - in this case, SO. Also I asked to have the CF trunk put on in place of the stock trunk...they wouldn't do that either. So I ended up going the same route as you...for a P car. In parallel to the CS allocation I was offered, I was lucky enough to also be offered a 718 GT4 allocation from the "other" Germans.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2020, 12:23 PM   #53
Hegge
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M2 CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by F87_LCI View Post
Price was less the issue for me (not trying to sound like an a-hole), although fully spec'd it would have been about $105K for a 2 series?? (that's in Moosebucks btw ), it was more BMW's complete unwillingness to work with what should have been a fairly simple request...to paint the car a colour that is already currently offered on the 2C - in this case, SO. Also I asked to have the CF trunk put on in place of the stock trunk...they wouldn't do that either. So I ended up going the same route as you...for a P car. In parallel to the CS allocation I was offered, I was lucky enough to also be offered a 718 GT4 allocation from the "other" Germans.
I can't use a manual plus I am more of a muscle car driver with power and acceleration. That eliminates the GT4 as it is currently manual only and doesn't have the power of a 911. While I desire a 992 911 such as the soon to be revealed 992 Turbo, I can't afford it at this time. So a DCT M2 CS for me.

However, I can't see myself in the future buying a car with a hideous grille like the G Series, so I will have to stretch for a 911 eventually. The rumor mill also states that the Cayman may go all electric.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2020, 12:58 PM   #54
medphysdave
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 CS | 85 of 592

The 911 turbo is bonkers. I want to drive one. I'm afraid it will be too much like my ftype, but maybe it's everything that my ftype isn't and it would be great.

I'd have to look at cpo 991s though. No 992 at this time. Kids sucking up all my money

Last edited by medphysdave; 02-27-2020 at 05:06 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2020, 04:11 PM   #55
bdogk
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: M2CS,M4GTS,'21-X3

Quote:
Thx for the list, unfortunately, no LBB's
M2C sound (S55) -> negative (I remember when someone in my street had an N55 M2, my god the sound!, but i still need to hear the S55 in person, so maybe it's not that bad)
GTS 4.0 straight line speed not that impressive but it is a NA! and it looks great, M2 as well
My previous '17 M2 had MPE. Agree the sound was so intoxicating. Even with straight mid-pipe, my current M2C can't match the sound. But then, I love the added hp/torque, steering and suspension feel as well as the huge discs.
Hope CS will sound similar to MPE.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2020, 04:21 PM   #56
infinitekidM2C
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 Competition

Garage List
If i was rich i would take it. Otherwise, the CS doesnt really add anything performance wise. Despite all of the carbon fiber goodness (which is good), the same weight as the Comp. Since the price jump is that substantial, it does not make sense to me.

If i was you i'd look for a used Comp or try to get a discount, unless you're rich, then feck it.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2020, 05:05 PM   #57
medphysdave
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 CS | 85 of 592

Quote:
Originally Posted by infinitekidM2C View Post
If i was rich i would take it. Otherwise, the CS doesnt really add anything performance wise. Despite all of the carbon fiber goodness (which is good), the same weight as the Comp. Since the price jump is that substantial, it does not make sense to me.

If i was you i'd look for a used Comp or try to get a discount, unless you're rich, then feck it.
My ftype is blue and has carbon wing, diffuser, mirrors, front lip, and hood vents. While all are unnecessary I do find that I enjoy looking at the carbon fiber.

I think I'll really enjoy the all the carbon on the CS.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2020, 05:30 PM   #58
infinitekidM2C
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 Competition

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by medphysdave View Post
My ftype is blue and has carbon wing, diffuser, mirrors, front lip, and hood vents. While all are unnecessary I do find that I enjoy looking at the carbon fiber.

I think I'll really enjoy the all the carbon on the CS.
Oh i want all that CF goodness too. Just saying that the price for the CS is a bit much for me.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2020, 04:05 PM   #59
Halvie
Rep
Drives: 2018 RS3 / 2016 Golf R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hegge View Post
I can't use a manual plus I am more of a muscle car driver with power and acceleration. That eliminates the GT4 as it is currently manual only and doesn't have the power of a 911. While I desire a 992 911 such as the soon to be revealed 992 Turbo, I can't afford it at this time. So a DCT M2 CS for me.

However, I can't see myself in the future buying a car with a hideous grille like the G Series, so I will have to stretch for a 911 eventually. The rumor mill also states that the Cayman may go all electric.
So then why aren't you just getting a ttrs? Any color you want, they'll be in the 7's in two months, not boring sounding, non-rental car interior, and only in auto.
Appreciate 0