BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > Help! Coding in a replacement HK amplifier

07-23-2023, 04:34 AM   #1
blahblahman
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW M2C (F87), BMW 520d (G30)

Help! Coding in a replacement HK amplifier

Hey everyone!

I’ve been a lurker here for some time, and I’ve gotten a ton of very useful information for a bunch of issues over the years. I’m new to coding (the most I’ve done is reviewing faults in ISTA on my G30). I need some help coding in a replacement part, and either my issue is too specific, or I’m an idiot, but I can’t seem to find a step-by-step anywhere. Given the chances of doing something wrong, I’m reaching out to all you geniuses for guidance!

TL;DR
Have an out-of-warranty 2018-11 manufactured/2019-02 registered F87 (M2C) that had water get into the HK amp. Ordered a replacement HK amp from another model (which realOEM says is replaceable) and swapped them out. Sound is ok, audio is back. But BimmerCode shows “Coding data invalid” for the amplifier, ISTA showed “recode” on the AMP ECU, and E-Sys code/read coding options are greyed out on the AMPH ECU. I believe I need to flash/recode the new amp into the car, but I have no idea how and am afraid of making things worse. Total noob, so any help is helpful.

Background:
I was away a few weeks ago and the GF was driving my car. Randomly on a hot day, the car got the dreaded deafening popping and buzzing from the speakers a few weeks ago, accompanied with a small burning smell. After a few mins, all sound disappeared, with nothing coming from the speakers (stereo, parking sensors, fuel warning bong, etc). When I got back, I removed all the boot lining, pulled out the amp, and sure enough; fried AMP. Popped it open and could see the water marks on the outside casing, and the fried circuit board on the inside. It was dead.

Ordered a replacement on ALPINCARS that realOEM confirmed was interchangeable for the F87. Popped that in and it still didn’t work. Figured it was a fuse too, started pulling them out 1 by 1 but could find the fried one. Pulled out the multimeter, and boom… found it. Swapped it out, and sound is back.

However, the sound is very, very slightly off. It’s not a major issue by any means. But reading on here, it looks like the EQ is probably set for the last car the amp came out of.

What I’ve done:
- I plugged in BimmerCode with an iPad and ENET cable, but I see a red dot next to “amplifier” and get an error “Coding data is invalid”. Nothing in backup codes (obviously, I didn’t back anything up) and nothing in activation codes.
- Downloaded ISTA, read the fault code history, and could see an AMP error. Expected given what happened with the last one. Interestingly, it also listed a bunch of other codes which I’ve figured out is because dumb-dumb here forgot the ignition was on when I pulled out one or two fuses trying to look for the dead one. I won’t make that mistake again
- Went through the diagnostic in ISTA: all sound is a-ok, speakers are working, but one step listed was to “re-code” the amp.
- Pulled out E-Sys (as that’s what I can gather I need to do next). Read the car FA, saved it, went to Coding, read the ECU, and while there are no errors showing here, the “Code” and “Read Code Data” is greyed out on the AMPH ECU.
- Back into ISTA, cleared the fault code history. Ran another check, and no errors on the AMP.
- Back into BimmerCode, same thing as before; red dot and “coding data is invalid”.

Help:
Based on reading online, it looks like I need to flash or recode the new amp to basically tell it “hey, you’re in an f87 now so do your thing f87-like”. Given how I see the risk of bricking my car across a ton of places where E-Sys is mentioned, I’ve avoided clicking random buttons and don’t think I can find anything specific to this use case.

Would a kind soul be able to help me with a step-by-step? Or even link me to somewhere where this is explained in an existing step-by-step? I’d be greatly appreciative to whoever could help.

Background on what I’m running if it’s needed:
- Old Intel MacBook Pro dual-booted with Windows 10
- ISTA v4.39.20.24455
- E-Sys 3.49.2
- PSdZData v4.42.20 Lite
- Factory I-Step: F020-18-11-551
- Current I-Step: F020-19-XX-XXX (sorry, not looking at ISTA right now so don’t have the Xs, but can fill in if needed)
- Note: my E-Sys doesn’t have the same version as either the factory or current I-Step. The two listed are F020-22-XX-XXX and F020-23-XX-XXX. I’m not sure if these should be the same as for the car, or if it’s ok that these are newer.

Any and all help is greatly appreciated!
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2023, 06:40 AM   #2
TheNine90
Banned
Rep
Drives: bmw

You need to activate fa and select the module.
Try this
Connect => Read FA (VO) => Activate FA (VO) => Read SVT (ECU)=> Left-Click on AMP => Click on "Detect CAF for SWE" => Select the CAFD from latest I-Level shown (bottom) => Select OK => Right-Click on AMP (the ECU itself not the underlying CAFD) => Select CODE.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2024, 09:49 PM   #3
landonf30
Registered
Rep
Drives: bmw 320i xdrive

I am having this same issue however when I try to detect caf for swe I get an error and I cant code anything, I'm using a top hifi amp from a 5 series for my 3 series.... the amp works but it just does not sound right because I cant fdl code the amp for the 3 series soundstage... the amp is missing cafd and when I go into bimmercode I get invalid coding error...
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2024, 09:57 PM   #4
landonf30
Registered
Rep
Drives: bmw 320i xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNine90 View Post
You need to activate fa and select the module.
Try this
Connect => Read FA (VO) => Activate FA (VO) => Read SVT (ECU)=> Left-Click on AMP => Click on "Detect CAF for SWE" => Select the CAFD from latest I-Level shown (bottom) => Select OK => Right-Click on AMP (the ECU itself not the underlying CAFD) => Select CODE.
could you pm me and help me out with this? I'm getting an error
Appreciate 0