BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > Regional Forums > UK > Buying an M2 - some questions

03-30-2022, 04:12 AM   #1
Yoshuey
Private
Rep
Drives: M2 OG Manual Grey 2017

Buying an M2 - some questions

Hey all - looking to buy an M2 and have a few questions.

1. How much should I expect to pay for brake discs and pads?
Prices seem to vary drastically. I know it depends on the discs people buy - does everyone buy direct from BMW? or do you buy aftermarket?

I've bought Brembo discs for my previous BMW - but they started vibrating under hard braking only after a year and then decided to back to OEMs.

2. Does the M2 allow pre-heating the car in the mornings remotely (or through iDrive at pre-determined times)

3. Was CarPlay available for OG models?

4. Can CarPlay be added to OG without a ballache?

5. Estimated running cost annually on average (excluding fuel/tax/insurance)

Thanks all
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2022, 05:04 PM   #2
KernowBMW
Rep
Drives: F87 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoshuey View Post
Hey all - looking to buy an M2 and have a few questions.

1. How much should I expect to pay for brake discs and pads?
Prices seem to vary drastically. I know it depends on the discs people buy - does everyone buy direct from BMW? or do you buy aftermarket?

I've bought Brembo discs for my previous BMW - but they started vibrating under hard braking only after a year and then decided to back to OEMs.

2. Does the M2 allow pre-heating the car in the mornings remotely (or through iDrive at pre-determined times)

3. Was CarPlay available for OG models?

4. Can CarPlay be added to OG without a ballache?

5. Estimated running cost annually on average (excluding fuel/tax/insurance)

Thanks all
Hi, I can't comment on brakes as I'm still on the set that came on the car. However adding CarPlay is super easy I contacted Kubax86 from the forum and used the OBD cable for a DIY install. Very cheap and worthwhile upgrade.

As for running costs it's only slightly more on insurance and consumption than the Golf GTI I ran previously. I pay £350 a year fully comp, with a clean license and it's garaged.

It's had a few issues with the rear diff and the main dealer costs have been high but expected as they are unique parts to the car.

Overall a great car, each journey is an adventure
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2022, 07:03 AM   #3
Markyc66
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

1. I just paid £350 for ds1.11s pads all round which I think is quite reasonable.
Discs I can’t comment as cars not needed them yet. I’d either go genuine or upgrade. Wouldn’t so much go non OE part.

2. I don’t think so, never seen/heard of it. I know you can get aftermarket alarms to do it (Pandora) but one of the coding company’s would be your best bet to ask.

3/4. Yes as mine has car play. I upgraded to full screen (factory bmw only give u 3/4 screen) which I think is money well spent.

5. How longs a piece of string…. You can get lucky sometimes and have a problem free year/18months or you could have bushes start to knock 3 weeks after buying one.
Again how u drive will depend on a lot of other factors too.
Since I bought mine 11months ago I’ve serviced it/brake fluid change/rear suspension bushes so I’m £380 this year excluding insurance/tax/fuel.

O and every time you go out expect to use a minimum of 1/4tank LOL unless you are very gentle with that right foot but who buys an M2 for fuel economy.

You will love it if you get one.
If you can go private and buy one personally i prefer that. You get a good idea on how the car would have been looked after. IE nice house/other decent cars.
When bought from a dealer you never know it’s history and could have been owned by a 23 year old who had it on strap and didn’t maintain it.
That’s my 2pence anyway
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2022, 03:02 PM   #4
Yoshuey
Private
Rep
Drives: M2 OG Manual Grey 2017

Thanks guys

Bought 22k miler privately. 1 owner. Love it!

Thanks for the tip regards CarPlay. I thought BMW would be able to add it but they canÂ’t.

IÂ’m just wondering the aftermarket installs - I read they loose the CarPlay feature when idrive has a software update.
Appreciate 1
Markyc66164.00