BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > Regional Forums > UK > Uk tyre choice

02-14-2022, 02:20 PM   #1
Chris_Uk_m2
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW M2C

Uk tyre choice

Anyone got any recommendations for what tyres to run in the uk? Looking for a good all rounder.

Currently have pilot sports but they spin like anything when the ground is even slightly damp. Nearly lost the back end a few times going round tight corners/roundabouts and wasn't even being that adventurous with the throttle. Love the m2c in the summer but in the winter it's a pita to drive!
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2022, 06:44 AM   #2
Alexyyyy
Plonker
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition

Go with PS4S and I'd suggest going up a size on the front & back 255/275.

You'll have a much better experience.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2022, 11:55 AM   #3
Carrera2RS
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

I am nervous about PS4S, I fitted them to an E90 M5 and disliked them, they lost all the feel and turn in precision. I think I'll move to 255/275 Cup2 or stick to 255/275 MPSS
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2022, 01:40 PM   #4
Chris_Uk_m2
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carrera2RS View Post
I am nervous about PS4S, I fitted them to an E90 M5 and disliked them, they lost all the feel and turn in precision. I think I'll move to 255/275 Cup2 or stick to 255/275 MPSS
I heard the cup2s are only good in summer and also throw a lot of stones at the car. BMW stopped fitting them from factory.

I think I will try the ps4s
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2022, 03:25 AM   #5
DAXXR
M2 comp
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

I found the Cup2 tyres gave excellent grip in the dry uk summer months, but they were not so great on damp / wet roads.
Plus as soon as the temperature dropped below 10 degrees C they were like driving on solid rubber tyres.

So I bought a set of conti winter tyres for the wet winter months and these give amazing grip.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2022, 05:48 AM   #6
Carrera2RS
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

I'd be interested how you find then PS4S for feel. I think Cup2's have improved as well, my GT3 has the N1 Cup2's and they are substantially better than the N0's they replaced in the wet and cold. But agree they are not excellent here
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2022, 04:00 AM   #7
JCLG19
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexyyyy View Post
Go with PS4S and I'd suggest going up a size on the front & back 255/275.

You'll have a much better experience.
I've been thinking about doing this but I have Eibach springs and spacers on. Do you reckon they'll be any clearance issues with the 255 on the front when turning? Not worried about the rear but I remember when I had full tread on my pilots sports, it would rub only very slightly at full lock when reversing.

If anyone has experience with this would appreciate it!
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2022, 02:42 AM   #8
widetyres
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M3 E92 DCT, 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carrera2RS View Post
Chris_Uk_m2 This!

If you value steering feel at all, I would skip the PS4S - particularly in 255 front fitment, they are devoid of steering feel. I was so disappointed in them that I swapped to Continental SC6 after only a couple of months.

I didn't like Continentals before these tyres, but the SC6 is a great sports tyre. Fast road and track they have been brilliant, and include plenty of steering feel (once warmed up). They have a lot more grip than MPSS (in both dry and wet), but retain most of the steering feel (although the MPSS and Cup2 are kings of steering feel).

If I were buying a new set of tyres now, I would consider the Goodyear F1 SuperSports - from the reviews they look good, however, they are a fair bit noisier than the SC6. As a result, I would probably stick with the SC6 myself (I have topmounts that exaggerate road noise, so this is a big consideration for me).
Appreciate 1
      02-23-2022, 05:49 AM   #9
Carrera2RS
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Yes I think I will skip the PS4S I put them on an F10M5 and hated the feel of the car afterwards. The Goodyear F1 supersport Ive heard very good things about, good suggestion
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2022, 07:42 AM   #10
///MPhatic
The Seeker
Rep
Drives: OG M2 • Exige

The Cup2 is NOT a good road tire, regardless of what reviews you hear. It's a TRACK tire, and as such will not handle cold and wet good at all, and will wear ULTRA fast. If you have money burning a hole in your pocket it still is the WRONG tire for the street. It is a drive-to and from the track tire, nothing more.

The PS4S was the KING and had been for some time. It's unfortunate that it doesn't have the dynamic feel of the PSS, but it's a VASTLY better tire overall.

The Goodyear F1SS is not as good on the road, but forgiving on the track, which is the only reason to choose it over the PS4S.

The new KING is the Conti Sport Contact 7, and that's your tire if you're not a track junkie.

Appreciate 3
      02-25-2022, 01:47 AM   #11
Carrera2RS
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

At least he said Toyota in the end he said BMW Supra twice for the first 6 mins !
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2022, 03:54 PM   #12
verysideways
Lateral grip estimator
Rep
Drives: i4, M2

Garage List
I have a fair amount of experience with M2 tyres in the UK.
The Pilot Supersports actually work really well in most situations, though they do take a while to get some heat into them when it's cold outside and they are only good in the wet when they're warm. Fine in summer but not great in wet winter conditions unless you can get some heat into them.
The PS4S are better in wet and cold conditions and comparable in warmer weather. They also last a bit longer and are a bit quieter.
The GY Eagle Supersports are similar to the Pilot Supersports in colder conditions, they need some heat to work well. However the sidewalls are a good bit stiffer than the PSS and the PS4S so they produce a much nicer turn in as a result. Of course this has upsides and downsides - upside being they take much more abuse before starting to overheat, they'd be tricky to overheat in road use and would take much longer to overheat on track. However that does make them a bit less comfortable around town and also makes them a bit noisier on most surfaces.

You pays your money, you makes your choice…
'02 Morgan Aero 8
http://petrolhead.tours
Appreciate 2