BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion > BMW M says no M3 Touring nor M7 coming, but M2 reveal coming soon

07-09-2015, 01:21 PM   #133
evanevery
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: iXM60, i8 Rdstr, M4, i7 M70

Seems like an awful lot of folks are upset that BMW makes non-M Cars with M-Perf mods that look like their precious M cars...

The M-Perf models don't have the engine or suspension of the true M cars. Why is everyone so insecure that someone's M-Perf car might be mistaken for an M car? Isn't that kinda the point?

If you own an M car, be happy, drive it well and have fun. If someone wants to buy a cheaper car that has some performance options that help it look better - be happy for them as well.

...So I'm guessing these same folks wont be getting the "badge delete" option on their M cars, right? Gotta make sure everyone knows exactly what your drivin'!

...and why not "M" SUV's? My X6M has a real M engine, handles great, and goes like smoke. The new X6M is even better. (Faster, in fact, around the Ring than the previous M3). Its also got (gasp) AWD - so its typically my winter driver...
Appreciate 4
      07-09-2015, 03:47 PM   #134
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: xxxx

Quote:
Originally Posted by evanevery View Post
Seems like an awful lot of folks are upset that BMW makes non-M Cars with M-Perf mods that look like their precious M cars...

The M-Perf models don't have the engine or suspension of the true M cars. Why is everyone so insecure that someone's M-Perf car might be mistaken for an M car? Isn't that kinda the point?

If you own an M car, be happy, drive it well and have fun. If someone wants to buy a cheaper car that has some performance options that help it look better - be happy for them as well.

...So I'm guessing these same folks wont be getting the "badge delete" option on their M cars, right? Gotta make sure everyone knows exactly what your drivin'!

...and why not "M" SUV's? My X6M has a real M engine, handles great, and goes like smoke. The new X6M is even better. (Faster, in fact, around the Ring than the previous M3). Its also got (gasp) AWD - so its typically my winter driver...
Yep seem to be a lot of unhappy bunnies

Of course if BMW did stop doing MSport trim, stopped MSport suspension, MSport brakes, etc, would they actually sell many of the lesser trims?

I doubt they would be making or selling as many full M cars.

On the Badge delete side of things, not only is MSport trim the most popular (common here) but we even debadge our cars as matter of course.

When every 5th car is a BMW who really cars tbh.
Appreciate 2
      07-09-2015, 04:06 PM   #135
evanevery
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brigand View Post
Yep seem to be a lot of unhappy bunnies

Of course if BMW did stop doing MSport trim, stopped MSport suspension, MSport brakes, etc, would they actually sell many of the lesser trims?

I doubt they would be making or selling as many full M cars.

On the Badge delete side of things, not only is MSport trim the most popular (common here) but we even debadge our cars as matter of course.

When every 5th car is a BMW who really cars tbh.
On this side of the pond, we get the biggest badge possible and then pay extra to have the model name striped on the side of the car. Who can forget the venerable "Screaming Thunder Chicken" decal pasted on the entire hood of late 70's TransAm's/Firebirds... Yup - we like 'em logo'ed. Loud and proud!
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2015, 04:15 PM   #136
MightyMouseTech
Major General
Rep
Drives: 13 135i 6MT LeMans Blue MSport

Not me, all my cars have been debadged. I don't care what other people think I drive, the only person that matters is me, and how the car makes ME feel.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2015, 04:41 PM   #137
SCOTT26
Major General
Rep
Drives: A big F-off German Truck.

I am happy with my 220d xDrive Gran Tourer M-Sport loaner.
Attached Images

07-09-2015, 11:50 PM   #138
Nkc
NOOB
Canada
Rep
Drives: Cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTT26 View Post
That's honestly the ugliest thing BMW has produced in years and we have the 5er GT to compete with.
      07-10-2015, 05:50 AM   #139
hans007
Major
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M340i

seriously i don't get why people care.

yes i drive a 328 m sport. i know its not an m3, i think it looks nicer though.

i mean, do you buy your faster M car for exclusivity or because well its actually a faster and better sports car?

i mean, if anything the people who whine so much about having "exclusive" looks are kind of poseurs right?

i've basically gone on record with friends that i'd have a hard time justifying a real M car just because i live in los angeles and know i wouldn't really ever go to a track so the performance / speed would be mostly wasted. i'd almost feel bad commuting in an M car , because i'd be wasting it so much.
Appreciate 3
      07-10-2015, 07:06 AM   #140
eMvy
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Bimmers

Quote:
What exactly are you happy about?

Appreciate 0
      07-10-2015, 08:45 AM   #141
evanevery
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hans007 View Post
Some people buy cars for the prestige they bring - not so much the actual performance, quality, luxury, etc.
Appreciate 1
      07-10-2015, 09:39 AM   #142
atg4
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F30

Quote:
Originally Posted by hans007 View Post

i mean, do you buy your faster M car for exclusivity or because well its actually a faster and better sports car?

i mean, if anything the people who whine so much about having "exclusive" looks are kind of poseurs right?

i've basically gone on record with friends that i'd have a hard time justifying a real M car just because i live in los angeles and know i wouldn't really ever go to a track so the performance / speed would be mostly wasted. i'd almost feel bad commuting in an M car , because i'd be wasting it so much.
This is my reasoning. I can get a loaded M3 for 600 a month yet, I got a 335.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2015, 09:44 AM   #143
MFNATIK
Blocked from G80/G82 for having an opinion
United_States
Rep
Drives: Trek Domane

That must have been a loaded E92 M3 lease right? A stripper F8x lease is about $600.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2015, 10:57 AM   #144
bnombe
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: '12 E92M3 6MT/ZCP/JetBlkFoxRed

Quote:
Originally Posted by hans007

Agreed.

IMHO, M Sport = S Line in Audi land, not my cup of tea but no reason for me to be concerned how others spend their money

For instance, I don't loathe a M235i when I see one on the road. I appreciate how it looks and drives too. After all, almost all BMWs drive amazingly.

If the person in the M235i thinks it is just as high performance as my E92 M3, I just feel pitty for the ignorance especially if he/she doesn't even know what a limited slip differential is and the fact M235i doesn't have one. Lol
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2015, 11:37 AM   #145
General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnombe View Post
Agreed.

IMHO, M Sport = S Line in Audi land, not my cup of tea but no reason for me to be concerned how others spend their money

For instance, I don't loathe a M235i when I see one on the road. I appreciate how it looks and drives too. After all, almost all BMWs drive amazingly.

If the person in the M235i thinks it is just as high performance as my E92 M3, I just feel pitty for the ignorance especially if he/she doesn't even know what a limited slip differential is and the fact M235i doesn't have one. Lol

Note, the M235i is not an MSport trim, as with 228i MSport.

If anything, the M235i would equate to an Audi S3.

It's a little bit more than trim level with the M235i.

Yes MSport trim equals Audi S line or black edition trim.

Out of curiosity on the road and therefore legal speeds, is there a huge difference between a M235i and an E92 M3?

Not much up on 0 to 62mph on m235i, I know the 335d does 0-62 in 4.8 secs, so probably 4.6 for 0-60 mph.

Not interested in track shit, as about 90% + of the car buying public don't give a rats ass about tracks.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2015, 12:50 PM   #146
raysspl
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: walking, bicycle, & bus

no problem with me
      07-10-2015, 04:40 PM   #147
positiveions
Lieutenant General
Lebanon
Rep
Drives: 19 Tacoma, 16 Golf wagon

Garage List
Maybe BMW should look at the thread that I made last year. Up to 89% of bimmerpost.com population would buy an M3 touring. Pitty that some companies are turning deaf ears to consumers.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2015, 04:52 PM   #148
Chihuahua
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E30 329iS, E65 Alpina B7

Quote:
Kill it. Kill it with fire.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2015, 01:12 AM   #149
bnombe
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: '12 E92M3 6MT/ZCP/JetBlkFoxRed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brigand
Quote:
Originally Posted by bnombe View Post
Agreed.

Note, the M235i is not an MSport trim, as with 228i MSport.

If anything, the M235i would equate to an Audi S3.

It's a little bit more than trim level with the M235i.

Yes MSport trim equals Audi S line or black edition trim.

Out of curiosity on the road and therefore legal speeds, is there a huge difference between a M235i and an E92 M3?

Not much up on 0 to 62mph on m235i, I know the 335d does 0-62 in 4.8 secs, so probably 4.6 for 0-60 mph.

Not interested in track shit, as about 90% + of the car buying public don't give a rats ass about tracks.
Oh thanks for the difference between M Sport trim vs M235i. Well then the M Sport trim is even more cosmetic-centric upgrades than I have mistakenly thought. Still no problem for me how others want to spend their $ on styling upgrades and badging. Like some dudes would deck out with Porsche design stuff and apparel but no P-car lol

I don't care for street traffic light drag racing shit so I don't look at those so called performance figures and no answer to your rhetorical question.

I just responded to previous post that I agree there is no need to be upset with people confusing M Sport trim with true ///M cars
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2015, 12:42 PM   #150
N & M
Captain
Rep
Drives: F90 M5

Word!

Quote:
Originally Posted by evanevery View Post

I agree; if producing any M product gives BMW the financial return to give us the gems we lust after then so be it.

Also; why should we deny others the little bit of "M" magic that brightens their lives?
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2015, 12:43 PM   #151
N & M
Captain
Rep

Here here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle B View Post
Kill it. Kill it with fire.
I am all for new niches but this one is one too far.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2015, 12:46 PM   #152
N & M
Captain
Rep

We have to talk...

Quote:
At the next BMW event this Spetember, we have to talk... Either you convince me or I convince you becuase frankly, I am not seeing where are the joy is coming from.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2015, 05:27 PM   #153
Ashley Schaeffer BMW
Banned
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Sorry guys no ///M station wagons and mini vans for you.

I swear some of you are ridiculous.... Or have wives that have hen pecked you into submission so that's as close to a performance car you'd be allowed to buy.

Leave the ///M driving to guys like me.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2015, 05:55 PM   #154
General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashley Schaeffer BMW View Post
Sorry guys no ///M station wagons and mini vans for you.

I swear some of you are ridiculous.... Or have wives that have hen pecked you into submission so that's as close to a performance car you'd be allowed to buy.

Leave the ///M driving to guys like me.
Well if an M3 is as close to performance you can have, your welcome to it.

Yes it's a great saloon car, however at the end of the days, it's a fast 3 series nothing special tbh.

As mentioned, most people are happy with C63 or E63 AMG Estates, or the likes of RS4 / RS6 Avants.

Those cars are great for people that actually have a life and that thing called hobbies..

Also, you don't need /// in front of the letter, just an M will give most people the idea.

Are you by chance a ... Manual driver as well?
Appreciate 0