BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Discussions > Will i-drive be an option or mandatory on the M2?

05-08-2014, 01:24 PM   #23
webdither
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW M235i

Garage List
1. No one outside of BMW at this point knows for sure if it will or won't have iDrive.
2. However, all recent bmw models have at least the basic iDrive (no nav, smaller screen) included and cannot be removed and they do not retract into the dash. So it's easy to *assume* you will have at least the same basic iDrive standard with no option to remove.
3. With the M3/4 coming standard with Navigation you can also *assume* it'll be likely that Nav (upgraded screen and hardware) will be included in the M2.

Unfortunately for you all things point to there definitely being some form of iDrive in an M2.

My opinion though (as irrelevant as it is to you lol) is that I love iDrive. The newer systems (2013/14+ MY) are extremely responsive with no lag. I find it very intuitive to use and navigate after some acclimation to it. Especially with all the cool features such as the M Laptimer App really kick it into the next level of *gee whiz* lol.
      05-08-2014, 03:03 PM   #24
SCOTT26
Major General
Rep
Drives: A big F-off German Truck.

If the car will have specific M settings then these will be set via iDrive.
      05-08-2014, 03:18 PM   #25
Xaoc
Private
Rep
Drives: LeMans Blue 135is

I would definitely prefer not to have iDrive/Mini-display. I dont need any of the functionality that it brings, and I honestly think the screen detracts from the interior look. I guess I wouldnt mind if it was detract-able, but it would still be something that would get very little use.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2014, 09:31 PM   #26
bitcore
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F87 BSM Manual M2 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by webdither View Post
The newer systems (2013/14+ MY) are extremely responsive with no lag. I find it very intuitive to use and navigate after some acclimation to it.
Well, the responsiveness would at least make it palatable.

Still - lacking a "next/prev" audio track on the steering wheel instead of all of the other miscellaneous functions is asinine to me. Seems to me that they didn't research the number of button presses among all of their users to determine what owners actually utilize the most - place those on the wheel. Then again, they could have - and I'm simply not their target market.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2014, 03:55 PM   #27
mxa121
Major
Rep
Drives: M

following the trend of all of bmw's other cars, if the series car has standard I drive the M car will.
In this case the 2 series has standard I drive, So the M2 will.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2014, 11:29 PM   #28
bradleyland
TIM YOYO
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3

Garage List
Lots of confusion in here over what constitutes iDrive. There are two screen-based systems that come in modern BMWs. The base one has a smaller screen, a cheap feeling controller and no nav. Otherwise, it operates like the old option that was branded iDrive.

The navigation option brings a larger screen, a much nicer control knob, and a lot more menus. It also has a different UI feel. More refined.

Can anyone tell us if the base system is still considered iDrive?
Past: 2010 135i - TiAg Coral Red 6MT ///M-Sport

Last edited by bradleyland; 05-27-2014 at 01:56 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2014, 01:42 PM   #29
bitcore
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Ok, so getting the nav package totally changes the feel of it.
I'll have to check one out in a dealership before I rag on it.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2014, 02:01 PM   #30
bradleyland
TIM YOYO
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by bitcore View Post
Ok, so getting the nav package totally changes the feel of it.
I'll have to check one out in a dealership before I rag on it.
It's still very similar. The screen aesthetics are all very similar and the way you navigate through options is all very similar. The nav option just adds a wider screen with split-screen options [1] and more menus.

I'm not sure if this is limited to the nav option, but our X3 has 8 programmable buttons that look like channel preset buttons you'd see on a regular stereo. These buttons can be assigned to just about any menu item within the iDrive system. I use the shit out of these buttons. They are, without question, the best thing about the iDrive system. All those times you've used an infotainment system and thought "Damn, I wish there was a dedicated button for this" become reality with these programmable buttons. Love 'em.

Honestly, infotainments systems are really a matter of usage-style and taste. iDrive is, by far, my favorite infotainment system, but that has a lot to do with my own tastes.

[1]: For example, you can choose to have the current song and artist displayed on the right third of the screen all the time.
Past: 2010 135i - TiAg Coral Red 6MT ///M-Sport
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2014, 12:45 PM   #31
bitcore
Second Lieutenant
Rep

That's interesting - Ok, it's starting to sound less annoying - I still wish I had a programmable button on my steering wheel that I can use to change shuffled tracks without moving my hands.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2014, 09:53 AM   #32
BMWCCA1
BMW Owner Since 1971
Rep
Drives: 1964 700 Sport Cabriolet

Garage List
2013 BMW 128i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bitcore View Post
Still - lacking a "next/prev" audio track on the steering wheel instead of all of the other miscellaneous functions is asinine to me. Seems to me that they didn't research the number of button presses among all of their users to determine what owners actually utilize the most - place those on the wheel. Then again, they could have - and I'm simply not their target market.
That function is built into the roller/wheel control on the right spoke of the steering wheel. If your iDrive is set to pre-set radio stations, that control will scroll through the available stations and display it either in the iDrive screen or the instrument cluster. On cars with HUD, it will display in the HUD if set in Settings. If the iDrive is left on Media, the wheel will select up or down tracks or (with upper level systems) show track titles from which to make a selection. Highlight the track and push the roller. Isn't any simpler on any other car I know of.

How can you say "driver's car" and "touch-screen" in the same sentence??
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2014, 10:00 AM   #33
BMWCCA1
BMW Owner Since 1971
Rep
Drives: 1964 700 Sport Cabriolet

Garage List
2013 BMW 128i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradleyland View Post
I'm not sure if this is limited to the nav option, but our X3 has 8 programmable buttons that look like channel preset buttons you'd see on a regular stereo. These buttons can be assigned to just about any menu item within the iDrive system. I use the shit out of these buttons. They are, without question, the best thing about the iDrive system.
Don't overlook how useful they can be for frequently called phone numbers, too!

Saddens me to see customers from other dealerships come in who use those buttons only for radio pre-sets because their client advisor didn't take the time or have the knowledge to explain the possibilities.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2014, 11:04 AM   #34
bitcore
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWCCA1 View Post
If your iDrive is set to pre-set radio stations, that control will scroll through the available stations and display it either in the iDrive screen or the instrument cluster. On cars with HUD, it will display in the HUD if set in Settings. If the iDrive is left on Media, the wheel will select up or down tracks or (with upper level systems) show track titles from which to make a selection. Highlight the track and push the roller.
As mentioned earlier in the thread, this allegedly does not work when the media device you've selected is in shuffle mode, or you want shuffle instead of sequential track ordering.
I don't use the radio, I use my iPod (or Bluetooth device, whatever will work) - as long as I can have a next/prev track with shuffle enabled, I will be a supremely happy camper (in the context of this thread, at least)
Appreciate 0