BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Discussions > What engine would YOU want in an M2?

05-26-2014, 02:06 PM   #67
IS3andME
Major
Rep
Drives: Lexus IS300

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradleyland View Post
Because Porsche gets to lump their fuel economy and CO2 emissions in with the rest of VAG (Volkswagen-Audi Group), and VAG sells eleventy billion fuel sipping Golfs and Polos each year. BMW is independent, so they don't have the huge numbers to pull their averages down. Hence, every model must be a bit more efficient.

Also, even the low-end P-cas are going turbo in the next round. Both the Boxster and Cayman are getting turbocharged flat-4 engines.
Even more reason to try a turbo I4...what with Porsche saying that the new turbo flat 4 can make 400 hp.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2014, 02:16 PM   #68
bradleyland
TIM YOYO
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by IS3andME View Post
Even more reason to try a turbo I4...what with Porsche saying that the new turbo flat 4 can make 400 hp.
I agree 100%. I was, at first, very opposed to an I4 in the M2, because I so strongly value the sound of a car as part of the experience. However, as I've considered it, I'm beginning to feel the opposite.

I remember driving a friend's 1st gen Miata for a few days the summer after I graduated high school. Granted, the M2 won't be anywhere near as light as a 1993 Miata, but I'd love to see BMW go that direction. There's something magical about a lightweight, short wheelbase car. That Miata was more fun driving around at 35 MPH than my 135i was ripping down the road at 70 MPH.

I'm taking over an E92 M3 lease for the next 18 months to get the V8 thing out of my system. I'm really excited about the car, but part of me is wondering how I'll feel at the end of 18 months. I wonder whether I'll grow so attached to the V8 at that I can't let go of the car, or if I'll have that out of my system and be ready to go an entirely different direction.
Past: 2010 135i - TiAg Coral Red 6MT ///M-Sport
Appreciate 0