BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > M2 Photos, Videos and Builds > Motor Trend 2016 BMW M2: Sometimes the Sequel is Great, Too.- Video Review

04-11-2016, 10:01 AM   #23
SW19
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2016 Alpine White M2

That was definitely the most comprehensive and detailed M2 video that I have seen.Great comparison of the M2 vs M4 on the track.The biggest compliment that he says about the M2,is that the car is fun.He definitely had an amazing time driving the car.Looking forward to getting my M2 in June.
Appreciate 2
      04-11-2016, 10:37 AM   #24
qnet
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 18 Jeep Wrangler, 18 M2 LBB

Yeah, that was a great video. I like watching those guys.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2016, 10:51 AM   #25
rjn
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2

Loved the review. Pobst in both cars was a treat and instructive. Really looking forward to this car

Interesting the differences in the same rant about the auto blip - He hates the car doing things for him, and that he wants to do things himself. Then complaining the only way to do things himself is to disable all the stability control and other things the car is doing for him to save him from his own inputs. Not really a purist's philosophy debate after all, is it? Seems the ultimate skill is learning to keep the car on the road within your developed skill set, not just to play with your feet.

At the track, I'll have the nannies off, one foot on each pedal, two hands on the wheel and a finger on each paddle shifter - of the DCT!

Rob
Still waiting...
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2016, 02:13 PM   #26
stvding
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: G20 M340ix

No M1/2 button, no M drive setting, no m mirror, no m seat
Appreciate 3
      04-11-2016, 02:19 PM   #27
Royce Martin
Royce Martin
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 650i xdrive GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karim3 View Post
"The M2 mark the return of the ultimate driving machine!"

Now that's a good news!
Return? When was there a stop?

The M2 is the best in it's class but, let's not get carried away.

The M5/M6, X5M/X6M are still "Ultimate Driving Machines"
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2016, 02:20 PM   #28
1230vani
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G05 40i LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by 64-bit
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaryTheLabelGuy View Post
I love how now that the M2 is out, the F8x is shit in everybody's eyes. Lol.

The M2 is going to be just as fast as the M4 on short tracks, this has been proven. It won't outrun the M4 on a long track, that has been proven as well.

I'd consider an M2 but I just can't get past some of the cost cutting BMW did to the M2. I would have paid a few more thousand dollars for a CFRP roof and M-Mirrors and a set of decent seats.

Where the M4 really shines over the M2 will be in aftermarket tuning as the M2 is still using the same N55 turbo the M235i is equipped with. I'd take the S55 over the N55 any day because of its potential. The M2 will be lucky to see 420whp on the stock turbo.

So, the M2 is awesome, but the M4 is still worth the premium.
I'm 100% with you, the roof looks incomplete without CF roof or even a moonroof.

Plus the interior quality looks cheap as well.

Since my driveway is not a racing track, I rather ride on my refined 2016 M3 all day long (ok, I wished that my M3 was a tad smaller) but still, I would not trade it for a M2.
I realize a few details are missing but some that are present are awesome
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
      04-11-2016, 02:21 PM   #29
swagon
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F80 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by stvding View Post
Yeah? You've just described your car.

04-11-2016, 02:21 PM   #30
1230vani
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

This one also.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      04-11-2016, 02:22 PM   #31
OrangeCrush
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: VO 1M #513/740

Quote:
Wait what? The M2 doesn't have these things? Why is this the first I am hearing of this? Piss poor excuse of an M car is what it is. I'm calling my dealer right now.
VO BMW 1M
Appreciate 1
      04-11-2016, 02:23 PM   #32
1230vani
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Unfortunately don't have a photo but the carbon fibre interior is awesome, has real texture when you touch it (unlike the smooth one in m3/m4).
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2016, 02:24 PM   #33
stvding
Major
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeCrush
Quote:
Wait what? The M2 doesn't have these things? Why is this the first I am hearing of this? Piss poor excuse of an M car is what it is. I'm calling my dealer right now.
According to the video.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2016, 02:24 PM   #34
jphughan
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 Cayman GT4

The seats look reasonably bolstered compared to the M4, but I'd have to try them in person. If they're not up to snuff though, the other cost cutting measures didn't bother me much, even the relatively low-grade interior since it seems similar to the E9x I had (except that damn basketball leather!!), but subpar seats would be tough to live with since they're an integral part of how a car feels. But on the seat crookedness, I noticed that in my E92 M3 since my legs skewed to the left as they entered the footwell. I thought it was just because the pedals had to be moved to the left a bit due to the width of the transmission tunnel area, but maybe not. It did strike me as odd though.

The auto-blip limitation is very disappointing. I thought it was annoying on the F8x that it could only be disabled by using the most aggressive throttle mapping since those two preferences didn't seem especially related to me, but tying it to stability control seems even more absurd. It also makes me wonder if it's set up this way out of concern over the engine's torque relative to the transmission's durability. It has to be defeatable while DSC is off in order to perform clutch dump drifts to make videos like this, but requiring DSC Off to disable auto-blip ensures that auto-blip will be on the vast majority of the time, and the people who regularly have it off will likely be more experienced drivers. I remember some video about either the F10 M5 or F8x M4 showing someone important in BMW saying that if manuals were to continue to be offered in modern BMWs with their increasing horsepower and torque, then measures like this would need to be implemented to protect the driveline against damage from careless/ignorant drivers. And actually (I guess to make BMW's case), a couple weeks ago a prospective E92 M3 owner posted a few questions on M3Post, and it came up that he'd been driving manuals for 16 years after just teaching himself with seat time -- and consequently he'd never even heard of rev matching. Or there's the conspiracy theory that BMW is deliberately taking more fun out of the manual transmission so that even the manual enthusiasts eventually won't want it anymore, at which point BMW can finally switch to DCT-only for engineering and manufacturing simplicity.

Still, I would love to drive one of these, and if I hadn't been able to get a GT4 and didn't already have or wasn't going to be keeping my E92 M3 otherwise, this is almost certainly the car I would buy. I just can't see spending $80K on an M4 even if I liked it, which I didn't as much as I'd hoped, and while ZCP may fix that, I hate its seats and wheels.

Gone but not forgotten:
'11.75 M3 E92 Le Mans | Black Nov w/ Alum | 6MT (owned 5/2011 - 11/2015)

Last edited by jphughan; 04-11-2016 at 02:38 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2016, 02:26 PM   #35
stvding
Major
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by swagon
Quote:
Yeah? You've just described your car.

Well, according to motor trend vid, M2 doesn't have them
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2016, 02:28 PM   #36
tetsuo111
Save the Manuals!
United_States
Rep
Drives: E91 RWD 6MT, X3, Ducati S4R

Garage List
I get what they're saying.

BMW chose to make bigger, fatter, poorer handling cars compared with the icons that put the company on driving enthusiasts map, like the E46 M3, original E30 M3, and 2002tii.

Now the M badge carries as much cache as a "Calvin Klein" label on a pair of designer jeans. I used to stop and pay respect to the classic M cars. Now when I see an M3/4 it reminds me of dads Buick.

There's good reasons why contemporary 3 series and M cars no longer make it on 10 best lists.

Not meaning to offend. But dismissing all journalists because you disagree misses an opportunity to understand what made the older cars into classics and why many enthusiasts are left cold by the new products.

Having vented, the new M2 is the sole current product offering from BMW I would consider
buying. It's spirit is most closely aligned with this driving enthusiast's.
Outside: BMW M-Aero, Euro region lighting, Seibon | Inside: M3 cockpit, Recaro SPG, Prototipo, AutoSolutions SSK, UCP | Stop: M3 ST-40R, PFC | Grip: Solid-mounted subframes, rear coilover conversion, M3 Nitron R3, Hyperco, SPL, AKG, ARC8 | Go: StageFP, CF snorkel, 3IM, MILVs, SuperSprint headers, Dundon Motorsports Inconel exhaust, VoltPhreaks | Cool: CSF | PCA #2018100384 | BMW CCA #505794
Appreciate 3
      04-11-2016, 02:35 PM   #37
Sportsguy34
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 135I. Sapphire Black.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaryTheLabelGuy View Post
I love how now that the M2 is out, the F8x is shit in everybody's eyes. Lol.

The M2 is going to be just as fast as the M4 on short tracks, this has been proven. It won't outrun the M4 on a long track, that has been proven as well.

I'd consider an M2 but I just can't get past some of the cost cutting BMW did to the M2. I would have paid a few more thousand dollars for a CFRP roof and M-Mirrors and a set of decent seats.

Where the M4 really shines over the M2 will be in aftermarket tuning as the M2 is still using the same N55 turbo the M235i is equipped with. I'd take the S55 over the N55 any day because of its potential. The M2 will be lucky to see 420whp on the stock turbo.

So, the M2 is awesome, but the M4 is still worth the premium.
I 100% agree on the cost cutting. At least create better seats and give it to us as an OPTION. I would totally pay extra to elevate the interior on this car.
m2 is without a doubt a looker from the outside, but from the perspective of the driver, the interior is disappointing.

I may get some grief on this but this is the main reason I'm currently considering placing an order for a 2017 CLA45 over the M2. Mercs seats are a work of art, and the interior is overall significantly nicer.

Exhaust on the BMW is a topic all on its own. Dislike the n54 (which is my current ride) exhaust, And the m2 sounds alright at best. If I had the money I'd buy an F-type R just because of that sound. CLA45 will be close enough without breaking the bank.
      04-11-2016, 02:36 PM   #38
swagon
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F80 6MT

Quote:
Sooooo...?
      04-11-2016, 02:37 PM   #39
Ghetto2315
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 16' BMW i8

Garage List
I came from an E46 and E92 M3. I now have a M4. I got the chance to flog the new M2. Today being the third time in 5 days. I'm no pro driver but I have plenty of track time under my belt and can hold my own. And perhaps I need to get some seat time behind the M2 on the track but I don't get what all the fuss is about. And I work for BMW. To me, it's just a smaller, tad bit slower, slightly more nimble version of an M4.

For those who haven't driven the M2 in-person yet (let alone an F8X) which is about 98% of you, I don't see how you can have a valid argument of how it's better or worse. What's even more head scratching is how some of you guys comment how good the M2 sounds or how much better it sounds than the F8X but you've only heard it through a computer/phone speakers and not in real life. It's constant regurgitating facts and opinions from info you read from a car mags on here.

For all the praise this car is getting, you would think it came with solid gold bars in the trunk and the F8X had bags of dog shit the way this forum and auto journalists talk about them lol
Appreciate 22
      04-11-2016, 02:37 PM   #40
stvding
Major
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by swagon
Quote:
Sooooo...?
Stating facts
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2016, 02:40 PM   #41
Sportsguy34
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 135I. Sapphire Black.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghetto2315 View Post
I came from an E46 and E92 M3. I now have a M4. I got the chance to flog the new M2. Today being the third time in 5 days. I'm no pro driver but I have plenty of track time under my belt and can hold my own. And perhaps I need to get some seat time behind the M2 on the track but I don't get what all the fuss is about. And I work for BMW. To me, it's just a smaller, tad bit slower, slightly more nimble version of an M4.

For those who haven't driven the M2 in-person yet (let alone an F8X) which is about 98% of you, I don't see how you can have a valid argument of how it's better or worse. What's even more head scratching is how some of you guys comment how good the M2 sounds or how much better it sounds than the F8X but you've only heard it through a computer/phone speakers and not in real life. It's contact regurgitating facts and opinions from info you read from a car mags.

For all the praise this car is getting, you would think it came with solid gold bars in the trunk and the F8X had bags of dog shit the way you this forum and auto journalists talk about them lol
ahaha, love it!
      04-11-2016, 02:40 PM   #42
jphughan
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 Cayman GT4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportsguy34 View Post
I 100% agree on the cost cutting. At least create better seats and give it to us as an OPTION. I would totally pay extra to elevate the interior on this car.
m2 is without a doubt a looker from the outside, but from the perspective of the driver, the interior is disappointing.

I may get some grief on this but this is the main reason I'm currently considering placing an order for a 2017 CLA45 over the M2. Mercs seats are a work of art, and the interior is overall significantly nicer.

Exhaust on the BMW is a topic all on its own. Dislike the n54 (which is my current ride) exhaust, And the m2 sounds alright at best. If I had the money I'd buy an F-type R just because of that sound. CLA45 will be close enough without breaking the bank.
There might be an M2 ZCP down the road that has better seats, although I'm not sure I consider the M4 ZCP seats an improvement....

Never been a fan of Mercedes interiors. I agree they're high-quality, but the styling is just too "stuffy" for me. And that phone number dial pad....

Gone but not forgotten:
'11.75 M3 E92 Le Mans | Black Nov w/ Alum | 6MT (owned 5/2011 - 11/2015)

Last edited by jphughan; 04-11-2016 at 02:50 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2016, 02:42 PM   #43
cole3488
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportsguy34 View Post

no want/need for a manual? or rwd?
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2016, 02:43 PM   #44
Royce Martin
Royce Martin
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 650i xdrive GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by tetsuo111 View Post
I get what they're saying.

BMW chose to make bigger, fatter, poorer handling cars compared with the icons that put the company on driving enthusiasts map, like the E46 M3, original E30 M3, and 2002tii.

Now the M badge carries as much cache as a "Calvin Klein" label on a pair of designer jeans. I used to stop and pay respect to the classic M cars. Now when I see an M3/4 it reminds me of dads Buick.

There's good reasons why contemporary 3 series and M cars no longer make it on 10 best lists.

Not meaning to offend. But dismissing all journalists because you disagree misses an opportunity to understand what made the older cars into classics and why many enthusiasts are left cold by the new products.

Having vented, the new M2 is the sole current product offering from BMW I would consider
buying. It's spirit is most closely aligned with this driving enthusiast's.
I disagree, this is an M2.

This car is simply pointing to a different type of crowd. It's MSRP is 50k+, this isn't honda, acura, hyundai. It's not really much you're going to get out of $50,000 at BMW.

Now when you're paying $100,000+ there's alot BMW gives you. This is a really great car for what it's priced.

The new gens will never be like then old ones only because it's not only enthusiasts purchasing M line cars these days. The demand for M's have grown and appeal to many type of drivers and buyers.
Appreciate 0