BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M2 Forum > M2 Photos, Videos and Builds > Motor Trend 2016 BMW M2: Sometimes the Sequel is Great, Too.- Video Review

04-15-2016, 09:02 PM   #265
jphughan
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 Cayman GT4

Quote:
Originally Posted by snaimpally
John, I'm sure you'd be able to code the blip out.
Apparently it's possible on other cars by disabling the requirement that the clutch be depressed when the car is started and only requiring the brake. I suppose keeping the brake requirement limits the potential for disaster when starting the car inattentively, but that still seems like a hack. I suspect disabling it properly would require a DME tune. That said, I never invested the time and money into getting the software and hardware to code F Series cars -- didn't seem worth it given that I didn't own one. But if I bought an M2, I'd definitely do it if it meant disabling auto-blip. I just wish it could be toggled completely independently since I'd actually want it at the track, where ironically I'm also most likely to have DSC off, which in the current state of affairs would forcibly disable it.

Gone but not forgotten:
'11.75 M3 E92 Le Mans | Black Nov w/ Alum | 6MT (owned 5/2011 - 11/2015)
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2016, 09:26 PM   #266
gthal
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by jphughan View Post
Apparently it's possible on other cars by disabling the requirement that the clutch be depressed when the car is started and only requiring the brake. I suppose keeping the brake requirement limits the potential for disaster when starting the car inattentively, but that still seems like a hack. I suspect disabling it properly would require a DME tune. That said, I never invested the time and money into getting the software and hardware to code F Series cars -- didn't seem worth it given that I didn't own one. But if I bought an M2, I'd definitely do it if it meant disabling auto-blip. I just wish it could be toggled completely independently since I'd actually want it at the track, where ironically I'm also most likely to have DSC off, which in the current state of affairs would forcibly disable it.
Don't you want to do the heel/toe shifting yourself at the track? Why would you want to heel/toe for yourself on the street but want rev matching at the track? Seems backwards.
2015 M4 | Austin Yellow | DCT
2012 MB C63AMG | 2011 E92 M3 | 2010 E92 M3
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2016, 10:14 PM   #267
jphughan
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 Cayman GT4

Quote:
Originally Posted by gthal View Post
Don't you want to do the heel/toe shifting yourself at the track? Why would you want to heel/toe for yourself on the street but want rev matching at the track? Seems backwards.
Because at least at CotA with its numerous hairpins at the end of fast segments, 2nd gear gets used frequently, and in my E9x M3 the 3>2 downshift was very tricky to rev match properly because it required such a large throttle blip. That was especially true because at the track I used the Normal throttle map because its linearity made mid-corner throttle management easier than the punchier Sport mode that I used only on the road because it made the car feel faster. On the GT4, 3>2 isn't as bad, and I can't speak for the M2 since I haven't driven it, but the problem with messing up a rev match is that if your revs are far enough below where they should be, you lock up the rear wheels -- and on a track, not only are you going faster than you are on the road, but you're also braking a lot harder, which means you've already taken a lot of weight off the rear wheels, so if you then also lock them up, you stand a decent chance of ending up in a tank slapper, which isn't a great thing to happen when you're trying to set up for a hairpin turn. Or if you blip too MUCH, then you've just extended your braking zone by sending some extra power through your driveline when you're trying to slow things down. Because of this, on my M3 I often rolled through those segments in 3rd (2nd wasn't hugely worth it anyway when I tried it), and I freely admit that those hairpin segments were one of the very few times I kind of wished I had a DCT in my M3, in which case I absolutely would've used 2nd. I still wouldn't have traded my 6MT for one since overall I much preferred to row my own, but auto-blip bridges a good chunk of the gap between MT and DCT and eliminates the concerns I mentioned, keeping you smooth where smoothness is particularly important. That's why I like having it on the GT4, especially since its gearing makes 2nd much more useful at CotA.

Of course there's also the argument that the track is the ultimate driving experience and therefore why wouldn't you want to do as much as possible yourself, which leads some people to not even want ABS on their track cars, but everyone has their own philosophies about what they want to experience on track and what they're ok having done for them, which in some cases could well be tied to the value of the car they're tracking relative to their net worth. So for me, I keep auto-blip disabled on the road because I'm not driving so aggressively that smoothness is as critical there, nor are the consequences of botching the shift so dire, so I'm happy to enjoy doing it myself and the thrill of getting it perfectly when I do.

Gone but not forgotten:
'11.75 M3 E92 Le Mans | Black Nov w/ Alum | 6MT (owned 5/2011 - 11/2015)

Last edited by jphughan; 04-15-2016 at 10:22 PM..
Appreciate 0