BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Discussions > Tow Hook License Plate Mount

08-22-2017, 05:21 PM   #45
boostm3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: '18 LBB M2 6MT Exec

They really shouldnt be requiring these plates... They interfere with the airflow to the radiator and intercooler!!!!!!
      08-22-2017, 07:07 PM   #46
Spa2k
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 JCW

Quote:
Originally Posted by boostm3 View Post
They really shouldnt be requiring these plates... They interfere with the airflow to the radiator and intercooler!!!!!!
"That's right, Your Honor. I lost to that damn GT 350 by a nose on Main Street because the front license plate was blocking airflow to the intercooler and I couldn't get maximum boost past 6,000 rpm."
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2017, 08:17 PM   #47
boostm3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: '18 LBB M2 6MT Exec

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spa2k View Post
"That's right, Your Honor. I lost to that damn GT 350 by a nose on Main Street because the front license plate was blocking airflow to the intercooler and I couldn't get maximum boost past 6,000 rpm."
EXACTLY!! The blocked airflow to the intercooler raised your Intake Air Temperatures impeding your progress.. Instead of you apologizing to him, the State oughta buy you a water injection system to cool those IATs , heated up by that stupid state mandated front plate!
      09-25-2017, 07:15 PM   #48
We're on Boost
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2000 528i, 1990 DSM AWD

Pretty funny, this front license plate business is what got me interested in the M2 in the first place.
Have fought this problem with my project car, which doesn't have a tow-hook receiver.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceM View Post
Went to a graphics shop with my plate ....
This decal idea is cool as heck. I live in the Seattle area too - gives me hope.

Pic below is of the car I've been noticing lately, and I don't even know what kit this is. Usually the plate is on. I've never even seen the guy who drives it LOL.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-26-2017, 02:12 AM   #49
chambolle
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1995 M3 coupe; 2017 M2

I have had a U.S. Millworks tow hook plate holder and a second license plate sitting in my trunk for about a year. So far, no front plate and no hassle. It’s a risk I’ll take to avoid messing up the car’s appearance.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2017, 06:05 PM   #50
Spa2k
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 JCW

I've been waiting for years for U.S. Millworks to develop a hidden bracket, but it hasn't happened. I've had a U.S Millworks on my MINI JCW for more than 4 years, and it hasn't moved, vibrated or lost any of its finish since I installed it. This is one of the best-designed and best-built pieces of aftermarket equipment I've seen in any price range. If you like the side mount, it's the only one I'd consider.

However, I don't like the way the side-mount looks on the M2, so this time I went for a center-mount from Craig's (http://ccmustangbrackets.com/product...plate-bracket/). It's not as heavy-duty or over-engineered as some of the others, but with a couple of minor modifications to the hardware, I think it will do the job.

Appreciate 0