BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Politics/Religion > President Trump. [ Hits and Misses Scorecard Thread ]

09-19-2019, 02:39 PM   #7591
Captain Blood
Pirate and thief, avast
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i DCT

Garage List
2012 135  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleWede View Post
LOL: During his trip to San Diego the President signed the wall
Did he sign the wall, or build it with that magical sharpie?
      09-19-2019, 02:46 PM   #7592
Captain Blood
Pirate and thief, avast
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2012 135  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Run Silent View Post
So just to be clear for everyone reading:

A person, who we don't know, filed a complaint about President Trump, saying that he said something, of which we don't know, regarding some sort of promise, of which we don't know, to a foreign leader, of whom we don't know.

So, in summary, an unidentified person says that Trump said an unidentified thing and made an unidentified promise to an unidentified world leader. Maybe. Or maybe not. No one knows. And it's all hearsay.

And this is news because?
Phil Mudd agrees with you.
https://www.cnn.com/videos/politics/...k-in-politics/

However, this is a very unique situation. I'm awaiting developments.

09-19-2019, 03:25 PM   #7593
jmg
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 CS, I01 i3 REx LCI

Garage List
Quote:
The intelligence community is not designed to protect us from or spy on elected officials here in the USA. They will be the first to tell you this as well. This whole thing is a nothingburger.
Oh well since you said so I guess you are right.
Previous: F80 M3 | I01 i3 Rex LCI | I01 i3 REx | F30 340i M Sport ZTR | F30 328i Sport | Audi B7 S4 25Quattro #33 of 250 | E21 320i
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2019, 03:41 PM   #7594
Run Silent
Run Deep
United_States
Rep
Drives: Back and Forth To Work

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Blood View Post
Phil Mudd agrees with you.
https://www.cnn.com/videos/politics/...k-in-politics/

However, this is a very unique situation. I'm awaiting developments.
That actually says more than you know - because he absolutely hates President Trump.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmg View Post
Oh well since you said so I guess you are right.
I might have a bit more knowledge on this than the average person.....

09-19-2019, 03:46 PM   #7595
Captain Blood
Pirate and thief, avast
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2012 135  [5.00]
[QUOTE=Run Silent;25268402]That actually says more than you know - because he absolutely hates President Trump.
/QUOTE]

I know. Hence the irony.

09-19-2019, 05:29 PM   #7596
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 325i Arctic

Quote:
Did he sign the wall, or build it with that magical sharpie?
AFTER building it, he signed his artwork, duh.

Literally though, they had video of him signing some rusty girder in San Diego. I laughed walking down the hallway to go swimming. . .
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2019, 05:16 AM   #7597
wdb
dances with roads
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4MC, '07 E93 328i

Quote:

A person, who we don't know, filed a complaint about President Trump, saying that he said something, of which we don't know, regarding some sort of promise, of which we don't know, to a foreign leader, of whom we don't know.

So, in summary, an unidentified person says that Trump said an unidentified thing and made an unidentified promise to an unidentified world leader. Maybe. Or maybe not. No one knows. And it's all hearsay.

It's news because the complaint hasn't yet been presented to Congress, in direct violation of the law.

Inspector General Michael Atkinson, the person (put there by Trump) empowered to oversee intelligence activities, deemed the complaint an 'urgent concern'. That is very specific wording with very specific implications. 'Urgent concern' complaints are forwarded to the Director of National Intelligence who, the law states, shall deliver the concern to Congress within a week. The United States doesn't currently have a Director of National Intelligence. Acting DNI Joseph McGuire has thus far refused to deliver the information. This refusal appears to have concerned the IG sufficiently that he met with Congressional members of the Intelligence Committee himself this week, and will do the same with Senate members next week.

This is news because it is another in a series of actions by administration officials to withhold information from Congress. Exclamation point recently put at the end of that sentence by a certain Mr. Lewandowski. Is it just me, or does that guy remind anyone else of H.R. Haldeman?
Appreciate 2
mbanks211040.00

09-20-2019, 07:56 AM   #7598
Run Silent
Run Deep
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by wdb View Post
It's news because the complaint hasn't yet been presented to Congress, in direct violation of the law.

Inspector General Michael Atkinson, the person (put there by Trump) empowered to oversee intelligence activities, deemed the complaint an 'urgent concern'. That is very specific wording with very specific implications. 'Urgent concern' complaints are forwarded to the Director of National Intelligence who, the law states, shall deliver the concern to Congress within a week.
You can't make stuff up and then just assume your lies are facts. That isn't how real life works.

he unidentified whistleblower filed the complaint with the intelligence community inspector general, Michael Atkinson, on August 12. Federal law stipulates that the inspector general must investigate any report of an "urgent concern" by an employee of the intelligence community and determine whether it "appears credible" within two weeks.

So that deadline was 9/3/2019.

If it is, the inspector general must then report it to the director of national intelligence, whose office is responsible for overseeing the nation's 17 intelligence agencies.

Once the director receives the report, the law states he or she "shall, within 7 calendar days of such receipt, forward such transmittal to the congressional intelligence committees."

The investigation was started and deemed credible on 9/3/2019. The report was then sent to the acting director on 9/9/2019.

Once the director receives the report, the law states he or she "shall, within 7 calendar days of such receipt, forward such transmittal to the congressional intelligence committees."

That would be 9/20/2019.

So, even if it was a credible threat deems to be "urgent concern", the due date wouldn't be until today.

That all being said, the above points are completely moot, since the general counsel for Maguire's office said it had consulted with the Justice Department and determined the complaint did not rise to the level of an "urgent concern" requiring congressional notification. The relevant federal statute defines "urgent concern" as "a serious or flagrant problem, abuse, violation of law or Executive order, or deficiency" related to an "intelligence activity."

The complaint forwarded does not meet the definition of 'urgent concern,'" general counsel Jason Klitenic wrote in a letter to Schiff on Tuesday. "This complaint ... concerned conduct by someone outside the Intelligence Community and did not relate to any 'intelligence activity' under the DNI's supervision."
gjm1201335.00
arkie6359.00

09-20-2019, 08:34 AM   #7599
SumBMWGuy
Major
Rep
Drives: A German Car

Quote:
Quote:
Hmmmmmmm

https://apnews.com/48f63d46490a409ca20aecc1c4fdf573
WASHINGTON (AP) — The government's intelligence watchdog declined on Thursday to discuss the substance of a whistleblower complaint that reportedly concerns President Donald Trump making an unspecified promise to a foreign leader. Trump rejected the report as fake news and "presidential harassment."

If this is such a nothing burger, why won't he White House allow the whistleblower to come forward? If there's nothing, then they will be exonerated. Why is trimp so against oversight?
Appreciate 2
vtown93.50

09-20-2019, 08:35 AM   #7600
MKSixer
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW i8, E63 M6, 328d

Garage List
2016 M4 GTS (Allotted)  [0.00]
2013 BMW 328d  [0.00]
2007 BMW M6  [5.00]
2015 BMW i8  [5.00]

Quote:
You can't make stuff up and then just assume your lies are facts. That isn't how real life works.

he unidentified whistleblower filed the complaint with the intelligence community inspector general, Michael Atkinson, on August 12. Federal law stipulates that the inspector general must investigate any report of an "urgent concern" by an employee of the intelligence community and determine whether it "appears credible" within two weeks.

So that deadline was 9/3/2019.

If it is, the inspector general must then report it to the director of national intelligence, whose office is responsible for overseeing the nation's 17 intelligence agencies.

The investigation was started and deemed credible on 9/3/2019. The report was then sent to the acting director on 9/9/2019.

That would be 9/20/2019.

So, even if it was a credible threat deems to be "urgent concern", the due date wouldn't be until today.

That all being said, the above points are completely moot, since the general counsel for Maguire's office said it had consulted with the Justice Department and determined the complaint did not rise to the level of an "urgent concern" requiring congressional notification. The relevant federal statute defines "urgent concern" as "a serious or flagrant problem, abuse, violation of law or Executive order, or deficiency" related to an "intelligence activity."

The complaint forwarded does not meet the definition of 'urgent concern,'" general counsel Jason Klitenic wrote in a letter to Schiff on Tuesday. "This complaint ... concerned conduct by someone outside the Intelligence Community and did not relate to any 'intelligence activity' under the DNI's supervision."
Attached Images

Lewi6, First of His Name, Destroyer of Careers, Master of Pole Positions, 6X WDC, Master of All Tracks, Scorer of Maximum Points, Whisperer of Tires, Minimizer of Fuel Utilization, Maximizer of Consistency in Finishing. Look Upon Him With DRED.
Appreciate 3
Run Silent13732.00
NickyC6373.50
Poiseuille4434.50

09-20-2019, 08:39 AM   #7601
MKSixer
Major General
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW 328d  [0.00]
2007 BMW M6  [5.00]
2015 BMW i8  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SumBMWGuy View Post
If this is such a nothing burger, why won't he White House allow the whistleblower to come forward? If there's nothing, then they will be exonerated. Why is trimp so against oversight?
See post 7619. It provides a technical and accurate representation of the situation and happens to come from a member who spent his career involved in the various intelligence apparatuses of our government.

Lewi6, First of His Name, Destroyer of Careers, Master of Pole Positions, 6X WDC, Master of All Tracks, Scorer of Maximum Points, Whisperer of Tires, Minimizer of Fuel Utilization, Maximizer of Consistency in Finishing. Look Upon Him With DRED.
Appreciate 1
Run Silent13732.00

09-20-2019, 08:40 AM   #7602
wdb
dances with roads
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I don't understand the ad hominem attack right out of the box. I'm not intentionally fabricating anything, and I'm certainly not attacking you or your calling your credibility into account. Just responding with a different viewpoint.

But while we're here let's be checking some maths.
Quote:

That would be 9/20/2019.
September 9 + 7 calendar days = September 16. Let's go ahead and add a day though to be fair; received September 9, so the DNI's clock starts September 10. The deadline in that case would be September 17.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2019, 08:50 AM   #7603
Run Silent
Run Deep
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I don't understand the ad hominem attack right out of the box. I'm not intentionally fabricating anything, and I'm certainly not attacking you or your calling your credibility into account. Just responding with a different viewpoint.

But while we're here let's be checking some maths.

September 9 + 7 calendar days = September 16. Let's go ahead and add a day though to be fair; received September 9, so the DNI's clock starts September 10. The deadline in that case would be September 17.
You're counting weekends.

09-20-2019, 08:56 AM   #7604
SumBMWGuy
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKSixer View Post
Quote:
See post 7619. It provides a technical and accurate representation of the situation and happens to come from a member who spent his career involved in the various intelligence apparatuses of our government.
But that individual doesn't know about this specific instance do they?
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2019, 09:07 AM   #7605
Captain Blood
Pirate and thief, avast
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2012 135  [5.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Word around the campfire for the last few weeks it that Trump is trying to extort the new Ukrainian president, by withholding military aid, wanting the new Ukrainian administration to investigate Joe Biden's son. Speculation is that this phone call and whistleblower report is related. If this is true, I would think this is worse than Watergate.

Trying to make a foreign country investigate a political opponent is extraordinarily unethical and immoral.
      09-20-2019, 09:13 AM   #7606
Run Silent
Run Deep
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Word around the campfire for the last few weeks it that Trump is trying to extort the new Ukrainian president, by withholding military aid, wanting the new Ukrainian administration to investigate Joe Biden's son. Speculation is that this phone call and whistleblower report is related. If this is true, I would think this is worse than Watergate.

Trying to make a foreign country investigate a political opponent is extraordinarily unethical and immoral.
If true:

1) Agreed regarding terrible optics and quite unethical and immoral - but we all pretty much knew that about Trump already.

2) Not really illegal. Can easily be pitched as saying 'Biden's son broke the law and the President is attempting to exert pressure to ensure he is investigated and prosecuted if found guilty'. This would be okay if there was no politics at play. But again, unlikely to be found that it's illegal - terrible optics to be sure though.

Overall - if what you say is found to be accurate - then it looks bad and is really slimy, but not a prosecutable crime most likely.
      09-20-2019, 09:49 AM   #7607
SumBMWGuy
Major
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

If true:

1) Agreed regarding terrible optics and quite unethical and immoral - but we all pretty much knew that about Trump already.

2) Not really illegal. Can easily be pitched as saying 'Biden's son broke the law and the President is attempting to exert pressure to ensure he is investigated and prosecuted if found guilty'. This would be okay if there was no politics at play. But again, unlikely to be found that it's illegal - terrible optics to be sure though.

Overall - if what you say is found to be accurate - then it looks bad and is really slimy, but not a prosecutable crime most likely.
There is no crime associated with Biden Jr. This is a right-wing conspiracy theory.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2019, 09:53 AM   #7608
SoCalS2k
Major
Rep
Drives: S2K!

Garage List
2001 Honda S2k  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

But that already happened last election and we the people were ok with it.

So can't blame him for doing it a second time. Actually it's not just 2 times m, I think he's done it a few more times then that too

It seems like we are totally ok with his shady stuff. So depressing
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2019, 09:59 AM   #7609
wdb
dances with roads
United_States
Rep

Quote:
You're counting weekends.
Calendar days. Not business days. Not work days. Not 'whatever-federal-officials-call-a-day' days.
Appreciate 1
Run Silent13732.00

09-20-2019, 10:27 AM   #7610
Eriphill
Major
Rep
Drives: 340i

Quote:
There is no crime associated with Biden Jr. This is a right-wing conspiracy theory.
Very true. What they should really investigate is when Don Jr flew on Air Force One with his father to China and secured a 1.5 billion direct investment from the Bank of China for the Trump corporation. Now that stinks.
Appreciate 2
wdb2119.00

09-20-2019, 10:35 AM   #7611
Run Silent
Run Deep
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Calendar days. Not business days. Not work days. Not 'whatever-federal-officials-call-a-day' days.
I stand corrected - you are right. I apologize for being an ass earlier.
wdb2119.00

09-20-2019, 10:45 AM   #7612
MKSixer
Major General
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW 328d  [0.00]
2007 BMW M6  [5.00]
2015 BMW i8  [5.00]
Quote:
Neither do any of the media outlets blasting it 24/7. At least we have a non-shrill voice with no obvious agenda who has actually worked in the intelligence field unlike 99% of the pundits speaking on it as though they are authorities.

Appreciate 1
Run Silent13732.00