BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Discussions > My thoughts on M2 vs M3/4 & M235. Driven at Thermal Performance Center

03-16-2016, 06:15 PM   #45
Vocans
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Red tricycle

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Adjuster View Post
I love how people still try and discount the mass that the masses see and feel.

" I don't know why everyone says this car is heavy !! "

Ummm perhaps because everyone knows that the car IS heavy ?

" It feels so light on its feet it doesn't feel as big as it is "

Great! You got a dance with Ashley Graham and you found out that she is light on her feet. Nice !

That might be great for you, but some guys might prefer Ronda Rousey or even Hailey Clauson...

@racer20

Just in case you have forgotten, the M3 began as hot pocket rocket , and it has been moved by BMW into what previously was a 5 series sedan shape and the current 5 series is nearly a 7.
The size difference between an f80 M3 and an E39 5 series is nearly the same as the difference between the f80 M3 and the M2, at least in terms of overall length. Maybe if you go all the way back to the E28.

Quote:
Originally Posted by paradoxical3 View Post

Had a friend that was at BMW training in Thermal Springs and heard direct from the M bigwigs that early development M2 had S55 in it but it outperformed the M4 significantly on track, thus the reduced power output for the current model. I thought it was interesting he told me that as it's the first confirmation I have heard to that German forum rumor that so many discounted.

Another interesting thing - current M2 pulls over 1.1g on every corner on the Nurburgring.
Not sure why it would surprise you in the least to find out that between two cars with identical engines and nearly identical suspensions and chassis, the one that is lighter and has a shorter wheelbase is faster on a track.

Last edited by Vocans; 03-16-2016 at 06:25 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2016, 08:02 PM   #46
paradoxical3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vocans View Post
The size difference between an f80 M3 and an E39 5 series is nearly the same as the difference between the f80 M3 and the M2, at least in terms of overall length. Maybe if you go all the way back to the E28.

Not sure why it would surprise you in the least to find out that between two cars with identical engines and nearly identical suspensions and chassis, the one that is lighter and has a shorter wheelbase is faster on a track.
It doesn't surprise me at all, but when I posted the original rumor in the M4 forum I got flamed to kingdom come and told I was an idiot. So it feels good to have confirmation.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2016, 08:08 AM   #47
jtodd_fl
2nd Asst to Dept Undersecretary
Rep
Drives: People crazy

Garage List
2015 F82 M4  [9.00]
2016 F87 M2  [0.00]
2011 E92 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by paradoxical3
It doesn't surprise me at all, but when I posted the original rumor in the M4 forum I got flamed to kingdom come and told I was an idiot. So it feels good to have confirmation.
Idiot! (Heh)
      03-19-2016, 08:24 AM   #48
W///
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: F82GTS, E36/E92M3, Z4M

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmk08 View Post
Everyone always says how big the M3/M4 are. Even tho it's not much bigger than the e92 and definitely IS and FEELs lighter. Just a lot of haterade from people who have not driven it or have not driven it more than a test drive in base settings.

I honestly think if the M3/M4 had the exhaust tone of the M2 at launch it would have been a much more popular car than it already is.
You know I still dearly love my E92, but even that is a big car. Maybe it's because you're almost 7 ft tall so we have different perspectives, but I much prefer the size of my e36 or the 2er platform. So in that regards, yea the M3/4 are huge. But I'm essentially looking at it as I'm buying a new e39 M5. I'm cool with that

The M3/4 exhaust sound has def been a problem, but that alone would have never been enough to make me stay away from a car. Personally, I think that would be pretty idiotic. Not to mentiom they sound better inreal life. So who here would skip the E46 M3 purely based on its raspy exhaust? Crazyness.

What I've almost never seen on the M2 forums is the mention of the Competition Pack for the M3/4. Yes, it pushes that car further away from the M2 in terms of price, but it also seems to make the car much better.
Appreciate 1