BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Discussions > Manual Seats Please!!

08-09-2016, 05:05 AM   #23
Lp01
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 MG/DCT (gone!)

In Portugal, standard is manual seats. Power seats is an expensive option...
Appreciate 1
NachoM67.00
      08-09-2016, 05:34 AM   #24
NachoM
Private
Rep
Drives: M2 Alpine White

incredible how many differences we find between countries.
      08-09-2016, 06:38 AM   #25
Corinne
Captain
France
Rep
Drives: M2 2018 LBB 6MT

In France manual seats are standard, thank God. I really couldn't bear sitting any higher. Lumbar support is extra, as are heated seats, both of which I've ordered. I agree it's very irritating being forced to have things one doesn't want. Cup holders REALLY annoy me - I have NO use whatsoever for them. If I want a drink I'll drink outside the car. No way am I going to risk coffee or whatever slopping over the sides of a plastic cup while I drive. Another thing that annoys me is having to pay extra for digital radio. That should be standard
2011 Lotus Elise SC, 2002 BMW 330d, 1990 Caterham Super 7 HPC (sold), 1985 Porsche 911 Carrera SC (sold), 1978 Caterham Super 7 (sold), 1972 Triumph TR6 (sold), 1972 Jensen Healey (sold), 1965 Triumph TR4A (sold)
Appreciate 1
      08-09-2016, 08:49 AM   #26
Robin_NL
S0THPAW
Rep
Drives: HS M2 Competition

I have the manual seats but with the lumbar support(extra option). Power seats is an option overhere.
Heated steats come as standard in NL. And the DCT is standard as well...

European Union what?

Cheers
Robin
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2016, 09:53 AM   #27
omasou
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMWs

Garage List
2023 BMW S1000RR  [0.50]
2022 BMW F900XR  [3.00]
2022 BMW X6 40i  [0.50]
2020 BMW M2C  [9.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin_NL View Post
I have the manual seats but with the lumbar support(extra option). Power seats is an option overhere.
Heated steats come as standard in NL. And the DCT is standard as well...

European Union what?

Cheers
Robin
This is probably the reason. What should BMW NA offer standard? Fully auto seats w/lumbar support and heating or manual w/heating or manual w/lumbar or manual w/lumbar and heating. The combinations expand quickly and someon will not be happy with the choices made by NA.
Appreciate 1
jtodd_fl6703.50
      08-09-2016, 10:04 AM   #28
Jevi Javi
Second Lieutenant
Dominican Republic
Rep
Drives: e46 M3 + G05 X5

anybody know if there are recaro floor adapters for this car? I have power seats as well that Im going to switch to Pole Positions (which I already have) or maybe Sportsters CS...
      08-09-2016, 12:52 PM   #29
Nine Lives
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Austin Maxi

UK has manual seats as standard with lumbar and heating being optional.
I much prefer the electric seats and have gone for them. Adjustability was a bugbear for me with the manual ones.You can't even adjust the height of the seat whilst sitting on them.So crude in comparison.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2016, 05:32 PM   #30
WFS
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nine Lives View Post
UK has manual seats as standard with lumbar and heating being optional.
I much prefer the electric seats and have gone for them. Adjustability was a bugbear for me with the manual ones.You can't even adjust the height of the seat whilst sitting on them.So crude in comparison.
You need to sit up in the seat to raise them. I have manual seats in mine as the high position was a worry (due to helmet on track) and also the cost. I did add heated and lumbar though. Not tried the heated yet but lumbar is good.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2016, 06:21 PM   #31
Lp01
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 MG/DCT (gone!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corinne View Post
Cup holders REALLY annoy me - I have NO use whatsoever for them. If I want a drink I'll drink outside the car. No way am I going to risk coffee or whatever slopping over the sides of a plastic cup while.....

Thats exactly what happens is Portugal. All models from every brand come with cup holders and the person that uses it in Portugal (with the exception of american immigrants) is still to be born.
Believe me, no one I have ever knew used them. Not even once...
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2016, 06:32 PM   #32
gmzanatta
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: LBB 6MT M2 # 660/713

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lp01 View Post

Thats exactly what happens is Portugal. All models from every brand come with cup holders and the person that uses it in Portugal (with the exception of american immigrants) is still to be born.
Believe me, no one I have ever knew used them. Not even once...
I use mine all the time. They're great for holding my phone, wallet, keys...

But if you want to talk cupholders, my Z4MC had the most absolutely horrendous design of all time and couldn't actually hold shit.
Appreciate 1
      08-09-2016, 07:20 PM   #33
nopslide
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franzino View Post
Wow…that is so strange that only 5% order a car that they configured themselves and is a build to order car. For me personally; I rarely buy a new car and mostly buy used cars that are a couple of years old…then you buy what you can get and what is available on the market that comes closest to your specification. That is normal!
But when buying a new car, why on earth would I buy a car that is not 100% my specification and is a car that sits on the dealer lot in the specification that the dealer made? If I buy brand new car I want to choose every option myself to have the car 100% like I want it. Then you have to wait until it is made and delivered. If you can not choose every option there is almost no reason anymore to buy a new car…
Most Americans like to walk out with a car the same day. That 5% is probably all enthusiasts and the occasional 'work truck' that has to be special ordered without 25k worth of options.
Appreciate 1
      08-09-2016, 07:33 PM   #34
gmzanatta
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: LBB 6MT M2 # 660/713

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franzino View Post
Wow…that is so strange that only 5% order a car that they configured themselves and is a build to order car. For me personally; I rarely buy a new car and mostly buy used cars that are a couple of years old…then you buy what you can get and what is available on the market that comes closest to your specification. That is normal!
But when buying a new car, why on earth would I buy a car that is not 100% my specification and is a car that sits on the dealer lot in the specification that the dealer made? If I buy brand new car I want to choose every option myself to have the car 100% like I want it. Then you have to wait until it is made and delivered. If you can not choose every option there is almost no reason anymore to buy a new car…
That's American culture for you - instant gratification.

Plus, a lot of automakers don't want to do custom orders. For example, a few years back I was looking at a Focus ST for a winter car, and they couldn't/wouldn't do a custom order for me. It was either take what is on the lot or let us see if any other lots have something close to what you want.
Appreciate 1
      08-09-2016, 11:26 PM   #35
Corinne
Captain
France
Rep
Drives: M2 2018 LBB 6MT

I agree. When I buy a new car I want it exactly right and I don't mind waiting as long as is necessary so that I can pay cash without taking out any sort of loan. The anticipation while you wait is also part of the fun and makes you appreciate it fully when you finally get it.
2011 Lotus Elise SC, 2002 BMW 330d, 1990 Caterham Super 7 HPC (sold), 1985 Porsche 911 Carrera SC (sold), 1978 Caterham Super 7 (sold), 1972 Triumph TR6 (sold), 1972 Jensen Healey (sold), 1965 Triumph TR4A (sold)
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2016, 09:53 AM   #36
3tekcorps
Major
Rep
Drives: In Gestation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jevi Javi View Post
anybody know if there are recaro floor adapters for this car? I have power seats as well that Im going to switch to Pole Positions (which I already have) or maybe Sportsters CS...
I thought about this, but what do you do with the seat airbags. Also, I've got heated seats and it just seems like such a pain to get it all sorted out. I've done seat swaps in old track cars, but never a nice new car like this.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2016, 11:26 AM   #37
Jevi Javi
Second Lieutenant
Dominican Republic
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3tekcorps View Post
I thought about this, but what do you do with the seat airbags. Also, I've got heated seats and it just seems like such a pain to get it all sorted out. I've done seat swaps in old track cars, but never a nice new car like this.
I here ya. But you have to make a compromise. No seat airbags. It is a pain to sort out though. I dont know if you can code it out. But in a GTR to be able to use the pole positions without having the airbag light come on I had to install SRS resistors + passenger side weight sensor.
      08-10-2016, 11:45 AM   #38
Vintage
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW G80 (MT), 718 Spyder

I would kill for manual seats and even pay the same! My test drive of the M2 yielded one huge complaint, the driver's seat is way too high, and I am only 5'11" As is, when my M2 is delivered, it will be stripped and raced with a Recaro.
Appreciate 1
      08-10-2016, 12:51 PM   #39
ClothSeats
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 17 1LE

The 2 shares a platform with the 1-series, so it has the upright driving position of a hatchback. Adding power seats only exacerbates the effect.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2016, 03:00 PM   #40
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2004 330i ZHP, 2022 Cayman T

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Adjuster
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3tekcorps
Quote:
Originally Posted by Japper69 View Post
Yep, the only fault i have with my 235i here in US is the 'high' driving position.

Hence i specced manual seats in M2 when i return to UK later this year.
It's pretty annoying that on a car like this we don't get to decide on an option like this, that has a direct effect on both driver safety and comfort. For tall drivers and those wearing a helmet there just isn't enough room.

Especially if they are making both types of seats already. I guess I could see it if all the blue trimmed M2 seats came one way, but it sounds like they have them sitting there at the factory.

I'd be curious to know how many US customers would want "Power Seat Delete" as an option.
I see this as a step back on the M2. The 1M was available with manual seats and also there was an option package for power.

Many M235 owners say that height is not an issue but I know that there are several 1M owners that have posted that the seating position in manual seat cars is much better. : I can't imagine this not being an issue in the M2 for some.
Amen, forced heavy seats with less helmet room, heavier power folding mirrors and mandatory idrive were factors in me dropping my 1st on the list m2 allocation and buying a used no NAV stripper 1M. I still think M2 is awesome but all of this little performance peccadillos add up to reduce the cars "gotta have it" factor. I hope now they don't offer a fluff free m2 with manual seats, idrive delete and non motorized mirrors because I'll start doubting my choice. In the meantime I'm safe.
Appreciate 1
      08-10-2016, 03:26 PM   #41
LGWGN
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2001 M Roadster, '24 BSM M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmzanatta View Post
That's American culture for you - instant gratification.
Slightly off topic:

There is absolutely some truth to this. However, I wonder how much of it comes down to lot space as well. I'd be interested to know the difference in size of inventory between European and NA dealerships.

I know that it isn't too difficult to work with a CA to find a car that matches the spec you want, whether it is in their inventory or a dealer swap. And that is considering the person actually KNOWS the spec they are looking for...
      08-10-2016, 04:14 PM   #42
clubsport
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: LBB

I will post pics tomorrow.

I have Recaro Sportster CS seats in my M2. I used VAC floor mounts and seat belt receptacles. My seats do not have heaters but they are available from Recaro. Griffin Motorwerkes in Berkeley, Ca. is where my seats came from.

Won't let me post his email account. PM me for it.

This Guy is an awesome coder. He has done seat coding for at least one other M2 member on this board as well as coding for a major BMW race team. I can not endorse him enough. My session took a bit longer because my laptop is a Macbook Pro and took some extra configuring.

I initially went to a local SoCal shop (a sponsor here) and he was like a deer in headlights. Actually said my M2 was too new for his software.

It is completely do-able. I might go to a fixed back if I decide to keep the car for more than 24-28 months.

PM me if you have any questions.

Last edited by clubsport; 08-10-2016 at 04:16 PM.. Reason: email
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2016, 04:38 PM   #43
Jevi Javi
Second Lieutenant
Dominican Republic
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by clubsport View Post
I will post pics tomorrow.

I have Recaro Sportster CS seats in my M2. I used VAC floor mounts and seat belt receptacles. My seats do not have heaters but they are available from Recaro. Griffin Motorwerkes in Berkeley, Ca. is where my seats came from.

Won't let me post his email account. PM me for it.

This Guy is an awesome coder. He has done seat coding for at least one other M2 member on this board as well as coding for a major BMW race team. I can not endorse him enough. My session took a bit longer because my laptop is a Macbook Pro and took some extra configuring.

I initially went to a local SoCal shop (a sponsor here) and he was like a deer in headlights. Actually said my M2 was too new for his software.

It is completely do-able. I might go to a fixed back if I decide to keep the car for more than 24-28 months.

PM me if you have any questions.
awesome, post pics!
can he code remotely?
      08-10-2016, 06:06 PM   #44
Morbo
Registered
Rep
Drives: Flying Tomato

Wait, so apparently BMW reps say we can't have sunroof in the US because they want to keep the car "hard core", yet they won't let you buy the car with a a manual seat and instead weigh the car down with heavy electric seat.

Yeah, so hard core BMW. GTFO BMW USA.
Appreciate 1