BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in | Oil & Fluids | Servicing | TSB | Recalls > Does your hood always close properly?

01-31-2022, 03:40 PM   #1
///MPhatic
The Seeker
Rep
Drives: OG M2 • Exige

Does your hood always close properly?

I went out to get in my car earlier today and noticed that the left side of the hood was open about a half inch. The middle and right side was closed completely. It's the second time I've seen this happen and wanted to ask if anyone else has seen it.

I pushed on the hood gently and it goes up and down, but doesn't lock into place. Upon opening it and dropping it down again it closed just fine.

I'm trying to figure out what might be out of adjustment.

Any information would be much appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2022, 04:03 PM   #2
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Bmw M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///MPhatic View Post
I went out to get in my car earlier today and noticed that the left side of the hood was open about a half inch. The middle and right side was closed completely. It's the second time I've seen this happen and wanted to ask if anyone else has seen it.

I pushed on the hood gently and it goes up and down, but doesn't lock into place. Upon opening it and dropping it down again it closed just fine.

I'm trying to figure out what might be out of adjustment.

Any information would be much appreciated.
Yup my hood does this too when I tried to push it above the latches to close it, it actually popped up on one side while I was driving on the high way and that nearly made me poop my pants (thankfully the drivers side latched properly and held it shut). I found the only way to get it to properly latch and close is to drop it from ~40-50cm. Then I put my fingers under the gaps above the head lights and give it a light tug to make sure it is properly latched down.
///MPhatic13862.50
Moflow2484.50
      01-31-2022, 04:11 PM   #3
///MPhatic
The Seeker
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by F87source View Post
Yup my hood does this too when I tried to push it above the latches to close it, it actually popped up on one side while I was driving on the high way and that nearly made me poop my pants (thankfully the drivers side latched properly and held it shut). I found the only way to get it to properly latch and close is to drop it from ~40-50cm. Then I put my fingers under the gaps above the head lights and give it a light tug to make sure it is properly latched down.
Good to know I'm not the only one. So I guess I'll just start dropping it from higher instead of worrying about how to adjust it.

I should mention that I have my hood up a LOT, since I always open it after driving to let the heat escape. I've had cars in the past that had all these covers on them and over time it makes all the plastic bits brittle because of the heat being held in. I don't think it'll be an issue with the M2, but better safe than sorry. It heats my garage, and I get to stare at the engine whenever I go to the garage, so win/win/win.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2022, 04:19 PM   #4
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Good to know I'm not the only one. So I guess I'll just start dropping it from higher instead of worrying about how to adjust it.

I should mention that I have my hood up a LOT, since I always open it after driving to let the heat escape. I've had cars in the past that had all these covers on them and over time it makes all the plastic bits brittle because of the heat being held in. I don't think it'll be an issue with the M2, but better safe than sorry. It heats my garage, and I get to stare at the engine whenever I go to the garage, so win/win/win.
Yeah I think dropping the hood allows it to latch better than trying to push on it, same thing applies to my acura and honda they don't latch well when you push.

I don't think heat will damage the wiring and plastic bits too much on bmws since bmw does use alot higher quality components compared to subaru for instance, but it shouldn't hurt to pop the hood everytime. Me personally I just don't bother.
      01-31-2022, 05:10 PM   #5
///MPhatic
The Seeker
Rep

Quote:
Yeah I think dropping the hood allows it to latch better than trying to push on it, same thing applies to my acura and honda they don't latch well when you push.

I don't think heat will damage the wiring and plastic bits too much on bmws since bmw does use alot higher quality components compared to subaru for instance, but it shouldn't hurt to pop the hood everytime. Me personally I just don't bother.
I always drop it, for sure, I'm just going to have to drop it from higher up. I only pushed on that edge for a moment to see if it would latch under a bit of pressure, but it didn't, despite going all the way down. Weird, really.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2022, 12:36 PM   #6
DarthFader
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M2, 135i, F23 M240i

Screw in the left bump stop a hair.
If that doesn't do it, unscrew the left hood latch a hair.
Should get a nice even close each time.

Last edited by DarthFader; 02-02-2022 at 08:18 AM.. Reason: Error
Appreciate 1
///MPhatic13862.50
      02-01-2022, 02:53 PM   #7
Moflow
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C 6MT

I definitely did the "look back" at my car a few months ago and thought "wait...what?" and saw my hood was slightly unlatched on one side. I'm pretty sure I didn't need to open it again to latch it all the way, just give it a shove, but i'm not 100 percent sure, it was a few months ago.

So yes.
Appreciate 1
///MPhatic13862.50
      02-01-2022, 03:13 PM   #8
KevinC
your average JAMF
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 M2 Comp, '19 Golf R

Garage List
I think the proper way to close it is to let it drop from about 18 inches (it’s in the owner’s manual someplace). I’ve never had a problem. Yet at least.
Appreciate 1
///MPhatic13862.50
      02-01-2022, 03:50 PM   #9
///MPhatic
The Seeker
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinC View Post
I think the proper way to close it is to let it drop from about 18 inches (it’s in the owner’s manual someplace). I’ve never had a problem. Yet at least.
I'm probably not letting it drop from high enough. But I guess that's because in the past, any car that I dropped the hood on that didn't latch, it was from the middle. I don't guess I've ever had a car with a latch on either side. And to my thinking, if you're dropping it straight down and one side is latching but the other isn't, it's probably an adjustment issue. But my gaps look good. I think I'll spend some time tonight looking closer at where the latch strikes, and the gaps to see if anything looks out of adjustment.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2022, 03:56 PM   #10
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
I'm probably not letting it drop from high enough. But I guess that's because in the past, any car that I dropped the hood on that didn't latch, it was from the middle. I don't guess I've ever had a car with a latch on either side. And to my thinking, if you're dropping it straight down and one side is latching but the other isn't, it's probably an adjustment issue. But my gaps look good. I think I'll spend some time tonight looking closer at where the latch strikes, and the gaps to see if anything looks out of adjustment.
If it was the striker being too high you would have a mark on one side of the hood and not the other.

For me if I don't drop it high enough it doesn't latch properly either, you have to drop it at a fairly decent height. My shop foreman doesn't drop it as high but he pushes down on the hood while letting go to get it to accelerate to a faster speed.
///MPhatic13862.50
      02-01-2022, 07:43 PM   #11
///MPhatic
The Seeker
Rep

Quote:
If it was the striker being too high you would have a mark on one side of the hood and not the other.

For me if I don't drop it high enough it doesn't latch properly either, you have to drop it at a fairly decent height. My shop foreman doesn't drop it as high but he pushes down on the hood while letting go to get it to accelerate to a faster speed.
I checked everything out really well tonight.

First the hood latches. They were both seated fine, and upon pulling the plastic pieces down they both have 5 threads showing.

Lowering the hood down and looking at how the hood striker hits the latch there is a difference.

On the driver's side (the side that always shuts) the striker hits first by about a ¼", and the striker comes down perfectly in the middle of the latch. (first picture)

The passenger's side seems to make good contact, but the hood striker is positioned off center to the left, making the latch not contact the middle of the hood striker, but off center. (second picture)

I'm wondering if I should try to just adjust the latch a bit, as the striker can't be adjusted, or if they are all this way?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-02-2022, 12:37 AM   #12
///M TOWN
United_States
Rep
Drives: M GmbH

Garage List
2018 M2  [8.82]
I drop mine from about 12" high and I've never have any issues
      02-02-2022, 08:02 AM   #13
DarthFader
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M2, 135i, F23 M240i

Quote:
I'm wondering if I should try to just adjust the latch a bit, as the striker can't be adjusted, or if they are all this way?
Yup, I would unscrew the latch a hair. I posted earlier and wrote striker but meant the latch.
Appreciate 1
///MPhatic13862.50
      02-04-2022, 06:25 AM   #14
EDWYER
Yoda of mods
Rep
Drives: X5 RWD

Garage List
2015 X5 RWD  [0.00]
2016 BMW M2  [10.00]
Mine closes fine with no issues.
YT: https://www.youtube.com/@DWYERGARAGE/videos