BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 CS Model > EVO magazine M2 CS vs Cayman GT4 comparo review

08-19-2020, 06:51 PM   #23
F32Fleet
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinlevrone View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by F32Fleet View Post
If only it had a bigger trunk
Just fold down the rear seats and voila, room for the the IKEA furniture. If you also want to carry your family of four, there is the M4 and also the M3.
Naw. It's the size of the opening.

435i, MPPK, MPE, M-Sport Line
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2020, 08:43 PM   #24
///M TOWN
Rep
Drives: M GmbH

Garage List
2018 M2  [8.78]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Romo View Post
^ While both very sporty cars, the layout is different of course.

1 engine placement
2 4 vs 2 seater
3 Turbo vs NA engine

I would say they are complementary cars.Both the best in their own league
The best of both worlds

Why not

08-20-2020, 02:29 AM   #25
F87EVO
Major
Cyprus
Rep
Drives: BMW F87 M2 CS (6MT)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by rifflections View Post
Now I reeeaaally have to find a CS to drive. Can it be that much better than a Competition?
I moved from the OG to the CS , and i see a huge improvements - now from the comp - sure the difference will be less , but i still believe there will be a major difference in power , chassis , ofc looks - roof - bonnet - interior .. worth the money ? it depends what are you looking for Paul. Everyone can see why special and limited editions from BMW are so desirable , and they age like a fine wine - the older the better !
      08-21-2020, 08:25 AM   #26
FormulaMMM
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

"ridiculously good fun."

There's what actually matters during ownership.

Appreciate 2
      08-22-2020, 03:18 PM   #27
Romo
Lieutenant Colonel
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: GR Yaris GT4RS

Wel, today I did a test-drive with this car;

IMHO it is all wrong to compare a M2CS vs a GT4, they are completely, I mean utterly completely different cars !!

Like I told in my thread on buying my CS in Amsterdam these cars are complementary; And that is the only fair and logical conclusion.

Some insights on the test-drive;

1 The 4.0 NA engine wants to rev, >4K RPM it is coming alive, and is running more smoothly than below 4K RPM

2 It revs very free, almost as if there's no internal resistance

3 The suspension is so good, incredible, just amazing. It feels not harsh, not bumpy, nothing whatsoever

4 Steering; just out of this world how this car reacts on steering input! Just goosebumps all over. It's so pure, so direct, like a razor's knife, a scalpel, like a go-kart, I'm in love so incredibly good.

5 Seating; very low and deep, the LWB hate a nice upright position, very good support on upper legs and upper body, it does suit the car perfectly

6 Brakes PCCB; just superb, a little squeaky, maybe due to a lot of test-drives, but very strong initial bite and firm pedal feel

7 MT; it has a very mechanical throw, short, direct, close, you have to be precise, otherwise you shift in the wrong gear. Because this engine is better on higher revs, combined with the long gearing, just 1st, 2nd and 3rd gear are enough, otherwise you will lose your driving license IMHO the coming PDK wil suit this engine better.

This is really some car, this is what a sports car should be all about. The CS is far more a DD, the GT a weekend warrior, they should not be compared, they are a different breed, that's why I need them both
Appreciate 6
Tornado1M1207.50
FormulaMMM3662.50
JustChris17426.00
BigHunk269.50
dmboone254970.50
      08-22-2020, 08:10 PM   #28
medphysdave
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 CS | 85 of 592

This is what I keep saying. It's a testament to the CS that it keeps getting lumped into this comparison, but it shouldn't be a comparison.
Appreciate 1
FormulaMMM3662.50
      08-23-2020, 07:36 AM   #29
FormulaMMM
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

It is a testament to the CS, and the repeated BMW-Porsche comparison pairing is also a function of both not really having obvious direct competition.

But ultimately, GT4 vs. CS, GT3 vs. GTS, etc. are flawed comparisons. For one thing, the cars are very different in dynamic characteristics. You'd have both and not once think your garage is redundant. Neither obsoletes the other.

As GT cars become increasingly refined and perfect, appeal of unruly, "ridiculously good fun" CS/GTS models becomes even greater imo.

Appreciate 1
sdhotwn2128.50
      08-23-2020, 08:50 AM   #30
5218201a
Private
Australia
Rep
Drives: F80 Silverstone

Garage List
2016 f80 m3  [0.00]
Quote:
Why choose?

Next year they will be side by side in my garage
Terrible decision!

Now you have to choose every morning
Appreciate 1
      08-23-2020, 03:29 PM   #31
HeelToeShift
Captain
Rep
Drives: Mine

Quote:
Originally Posted by FormulaMMM View Post
It is a testament to the CS, and the repeated BMW-Porsche comparison pairing is also a function of both not really having obvious direct competition.

But ultimately, GT4 vs. CS, GT3 vs. GTS, etc. are flawed comparisons. For one thing, the cars are very different in dynamic characteristics. You'd have both and not once think your garage is redundant. Neither obsoletes the other.

As GT cars become increasingly refined and perfect, appeal of unruly, "ridiculously good fun" CS/GTS models becomes even greater imo.
Idk, the most ridiculously good fun I’ve ever had in any car, accompanied with a soundtrack of the Gods, has been in a GT Porsches. I just got a 718 GT4 and passed on a CS allocation and can say I made the right choice without a doubt as GT cars still represent to me the pinnacle of engineering and driving experience even if the 718 GT4 still isn’t even the top. Hopefully I will have a GT4 RS allocation too.
I don’t really think these cars do have much direct competition, but magazine have been making odd ball comparos for as long as I can remember. The CS makes a good choice for someone who needs a rear seat, but at the same time, why not an M3/4 CS?
Attached Images

Appreciate 3
chris7197273.00
BigHunk269.50
Poochie9099.00
      08-23-2020, 05:20 PM   #32
FormulaMMM
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeelToeShift View Post
Idk, the most ridiculously good fun IÂ’ve ever had in any car, accompanied with a soundtrack of the Gods, has been in a GT Porsches. I just got a 718 GT4 and passed on a CS allocation and can say I made the right choice without a doubt as GT cars still represent to me the pinnacle of engineering and driving experience even if the 718 GT4 still isnÂ’t even the top. Hopefully I will have a GT4 RS allocation too.
I donÂ’t really think these cars do have much direct competition, but magazine have been making odd ball comparos for as long as I can remember. The CS makes a good choice for someone who needs a rear seat, but at the same time, why not an M3/4 CS?
Sweet GT4 and I'm sure it's fun, wasn't suggesting otherwise. I can see a preference for either, or as I was saying, enjoying and appreciating both because they are dissimilar driving experiences.

Believe GT models are becoming more refined like most everything else. That's the majority take on 981 to 718, .2 to 992 will really tell the story.

CS/GTS models go the opposite direction. they're the most unruly products M division has ever released to the U.S.

Why M2 CS vs M3 or M4 CS, new, maybe more desirable (time will tell), less costly, slightly less weight, shorter wheelbase, sure it's a different driving experience. I have seat time in the base M2, never thought it felt like a base M4.

Appreciate 0
      08-23-2020, 05:38 PM   #33
dmboone25
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2024 Golf R / 2022 718 Spyder

Garage List
2007 E92 328i  [10.00]
2007 328i  [10.00]
Quote:
Why choose?

Next year they will be side by side in my garage
Perfect garage, IMO.
      08-23-2020, 05:41 PM   #34
HeelToeShift
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Sweet GT4 and I'm sure it's fun, wasn't suggesting otherwise. I can see a preference for either, or as I was saying, enjoying and appreciating both because they are dissimilar driving experiences.

Believe GT models are becoming more refined like most everything else. That's the majority take on 981 to 718, .2 to 992 will really tell the story.

CS/GTS models go the opposite direction. they're the most unruly products M division has ever released to the U.S.

Why M2 CS vs M3 or M4 CS, new, maybe more desirable (time will tell), less costly, slightly less weight, shorter wheelbase, sure it's a different driving experience. I have seat time in the base M2, never thought it felt like a base M4.
Thanks. It is a riot so far and really epitomizes special for me being a high revving atmospheric engine with a fantastic manual. A true analog car in the digital age. Enjoying the drive is the most important. This car will see track time a few times a year too. I don’t own a CS but looked at the M3 CS and comparably I found the CS to be more refined in its suspension than the other M3 variants. It certainly is much quieter than the GT4, less road noise, less tire noise and compared to a 718 variant it is much of the same. I’d still say the GT cars are the ethos of more not for the faint of heart and certainly more unruly than the non GT cars. Also at 8K rpms, this car is still quite loud! I’d say about 90+% as loud as a GT3 inside and I don’t think you get much louder in terms of pure decibels.

Last edited by HeelToeShift; 08-23-2020 at 05:48 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2020, 07:11 AM   #35
FormulaMMM
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeelToeShift View Post
IÂ’d still say the GT cars are the ethos of more not for the faint of heart and certainly more unruly than the non GT cars.
They're loud. Upgraded stereo is a joke. But in terms of driving dynamics they're the opposite of unruly. Modern GT cars are very easy to drive fast. That's not a slight, they're just astonishingly competent across the board.

M cars are more livable day to day, but far more of a handful when pushed.

Repeated comparisons imply it's a choice between two cars of the same mold, that's not the case.

Obviously practicality dictates people make choices between different types of cars, but buyers/owners of either would be mistaken to think they're not missing out on what the other has to offer.

Appreciate 0
      08-24-2020, 08:23 AM   #36
HeelToeShift
Captain
Rep

Quote:
They're loud. Upgraded stereo is a joke. But in terms of driving dynamics they're the opposite of unruly. Modern GT cars are very easy to drive fast. That's not a slight, they're just astonishingly competent across the board.

M cars are more livable day to day, but far more of a handful when pushed.

Repeated comparisons imply it's a choice between two cars of the same mold, that's not the case.

Obviously practicality dictates people make choices between different types of cars, but buyers/owners of either would be mistaken to think they're not missing out on what the other has to offer.
Yes, I’d agree there that they are easy to drive fast. I was more focused on the fact that they are more hardcore than their non GT counterparts. Funny because BMW Ms used to be that way, and I do agree more and more cars have gone that way. A friend of mine has a 600LT and it’s such a breeze to drive fast. I can’t argue with that either because they’re just so enjoyable to drive.
Appreciate 1
FormulaMMM3662.50
      08-24-2020, 09:23 AM   #37
sdhotwn
Mmmm... Bavarian
Rep
Drives: M2 CS, X5 45e, i3, Cayman S

Quote:
but buyers/owners of either would be mistaken to think they're not missing out on what the other has to offer.
I think this is a key point. The idea that one package or the other is encompassing all the same things somehow better than the other and you are making a choice between a better execution of the same ethos is a false one. This is not surf AND turf. Delicious meaty flavors packaged in one place. Sweet succulent seafood goodness in the other. Both wonderful flavorful executions of great petrolhead driving experiences, but neither is encompassing the full language and flavor of the other, nor necessarily "better" than the other for their uniqueness. Some may prefer the meaty flavors, some the sweet saltiness. Some may even have dietary restrictions that limit which they can choose.
2014 Cayman S
Appreciate 3
Acetech218.50
FormulaMMM3662.50
Davil6333.50
      08-24-2020, 09:27 AM   #38
medphysdave
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 CS | 85 of 592

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdhotwn View Post
I think this is a key point. The idea that one package or the other is encompassing all the same things somehow better than the other and you are making a choice between a better execution of the same ethos is a false one. This is not surf AND turf. Delicious meaty flavors packaged in one place. Sweet succulent seafood goodness in the other. Both wonderful flavorful executions of great petrolhead driving experiences, but neither is encompassing the full language and flavor of the other, nor necessarily "better" than the other for their uniqueness. Some may prefer the meaty flavors, some the sweet saltiness. Some may even have dietary restrictions that limit which they can choose.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2020, 09:52 AM   #39
HeelToeShift
Captain
Rep

Quote:
One thing I think is great about both; you can spec manual. So, so nice to be able to spec one where it is increasingly hard to find them.
Appreciate 1
FormulaMMM3662.50
      08-24-2020, 10:28 AM   #40
FormulaMMM
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Pretty perfect analogy, and you made me realize how hungry I am.

Appreciate 0
      08-24-2020, 06:18 PM   #41
Advevo
Banned
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition, E30 M3 DTM

Chris Harris is a guy who test about evey car on the planet. What does he buy?

M2C

No CS and no GT4.

I have owned a GT3 porsche and test driven a GT4. The GT3 was a wish to own. But after a year driving on several tracks i was done with it. No everyday use and the car was sitting more and more in the garage. I was happy when i sold it. It’s the same story with a gt4. I would love a porsche but i don’t have the need to have one for the road. GT3 CUP OH YES.

M2 CS is deeply overpriced. Tiff said it nicely. You pay for prestige.

My dealer offerend me a great deal for a CS but i pass! Even with a big discount the car is overpriced. The CS is worth no more then 5000 above an M2C.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2020, 01:15 AM   #42
F87EVO
Major
Cyprus
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Advevo View Post

M2C

No CS and no GT4.

I have owned a GT3 porsche and test driven a GT4. The GT3 was a wish to own. But after a year driving on several tracks i was done with it. No everyday use and the car was sitting more and more in the garage. I was happy when i sold it. It’s the same story with a gt4. I would love a porsche but i don’t have the need to have one for the road. GT3 CUP OH YES.

My dealer offerend me a great deal for a CS but i pass! Even with a big discount the car is overpriced. The CS is worth no more then 5000 above an M2C.
I would say the M2 competition should worth more than the CS
      08-25-2020, 06:30 AM   #43
Jimjamz
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: G81 M3 Touring (Frozen Black)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Advevo View Post

M2C

No CS and no GT4.

I have owned a GT3 porsche and test driven a GT4. The GT3 was a wish to own. But after a year driving on several tracks i was done with it. No everyday use and the car was sitting more and more in the garage. I was happy when i sold it. It's the same story with a gt4. I would love a porsche but i don't have the need to have one for the road. GT3 CUP OH YES.

$5000 for merino seats, carbon roof, carbon bonnet, adaptive suspension, upgraded brakes, carbon spoiler, carbon rear skirt, upgraded engine, alcantara interior, carbon spoiler... you drive a hard bargain. 😎
Appreciate 3
F87EVO4004.00
cptobvious2531.50
Davil6333.50
      08-25-2020, 07:42 AM   #44
F87EVO
Major
Cyprus
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimjamz View Post
$5000 for merino seats, carbon roof, carbon bonnet, adaptive suspension, upgraded brakes, carbon spoiler, carbon rear skirt, upgraded engine, alcantara interior, carbon spoiler... you drive a hard bargain. 😎
and you forgot one more important point- its a limited edition , and usually limited edition cars , are a lot more expensive just for that limited run and production!