BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > N55 Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning > CSF Intercooler Install - Tips & Tricks

11-19-2021, 02:11 PM   #23
SebsM2
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2017 LBB M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by MASHCT View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by SebsM2 View Post
How were you able to get that stud out? Double nut method?
The one that stripped? I used vice grips until it was loose enough to use my fingers.

It got about halfway into the mounting hole before it got stuck, which was to me a sign that said - don't try harder. LOL Plus that was when the head started to strip. The metal is super soft. But I got it in there enough I could not use a screwdriver to get it out.

I don't think many people will have the issues I did since most of them had to do with the prior install of the Wagner FMIC. But the bolts that come with the CSF, I really don't think it's a good idea to force them.
I'm talking about the Wagner mounting screws. I think that's what you are talking about too. I mistakenly pushed the rod with a crooked nut. Now the nut wont fit once the intercooler is in place. I'll try some vice grips, thanks!
      11-19-2021, 02:12 PM   #24
MASHCT
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW M2 MG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundinisagod View Post
Thanks!! Appreciate this a lot since I’ve been leaning to the CSF myself but haven’t pulled the trigger yet due to ease of installation questions.
Howdy, Sundinisagod.

Wondering what route you took on your FMIC? Did you install it yourself? If you're still on the fence about installing, let me know if you have any questions.

Keep in mind, 99% of my issues were related to the poor install of the Wagner & the FTP pipes. Honestly, if I didn't have those issues, this would have been easy as pie.
2017 M2 | MGM | 6SPD Std | RWD | MP Exhaust | CSF FMIC | Active Autowerke DP w/ HF CAT | FTP Charge & Boost Pipes | Fortune Auto series 500 7k/14k coilovers | CDT Audio ES Gold Fronts & HD series Rear | Richland Forged Project Nurburg RF-GT4 Wheels | AudioControl LC-6.1200 | JL Audio TWK 88 | CF Goodies
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2021, 08:16 PM   #25
Sundinisagod
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M2

Quote:
Howdy, Sundinisagod.

Wondering what route you took on your FMIC? Did you install it yourself? If you're still on the fence about installing, let me know if you have any questions.

Keep in mind, 99% of my issues were related to the poor install of the Wagner & the FTP pipes. Honestly, if I didn't have those issues, this would have been easy as pie.
I have not yet made a decision. I am currently leaning towards the new CTS race intercooler. I plan to do the install myself so the easiest fitment is a priority.

I do appreciate your offer to help, and there is still the possibility I will take you up on that.
Appreciate 1
MASHCT624.00
      12-13-2021, 04:51 PM   #26
VisualEcho
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 M2 6MT

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [10.00]
Quote:
If you're curious - the Wagner EVO II weighs 24.2 lbs; the CSF is 25.2 lbs.
My CSF weighed 24.9 lbs on my professional shipping scale, which is a whopping 17.6 lbs more than stock. So heavy! But I guess they're all that way.

Quote:
CSF will send you some 2" phillips-head screws & washers. They look substantial - trust me, they're 100% total shyte!! They are too fat & once they grab, they get stuck & the phillips-head SHREDS & STRIPS. NO BUENO!
CSF sent me nothing, which is pretty lame considering that the stock bolts won't work with the intercooler. I fabbed some rectangle washers from some aluminum I had lying around, but wasn't happy about it. Very good holding power though.

Quote:
The CSF mates perfectly to the FTP charge and boost pipes. No leaks - perfect fit. BUT - you have to do some work to align everything for a correct, solid install.
I got the MAD CP, and it's just a hair too long, as with everything hooked up and tight as a drum I still needed another ¼" to get the driver's side intercooler T25 screw in. I made it work, but not exactly happy about that either you can see in the "DR" pic below how it's not perfectly centered.

All in all it seems to have worked, but what a PITA. Maybe I'm just getting old.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
MASHCT624.00
      12-13-2021, 06:43 PM   #27
vrooooom
New BMW owner
Philippines
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M2 LCI

That aluminum washer you made looks awesome. The screws you used looks kinda undersize. Is that from the stock's? Hard to tell of course from photos but I just recall it looks like that. I'd be worried knowing how much heavier it is and it's actually not screwed fully in w/ CSF coz of its thicker tabs.

The black plastic pc where the IC screws on to looks crooked. Might just be camera angle or the tapering of the IC. The original IC slides into that. Got guiding rails. The CSF kinda does the same but doesn't have the vertical rails.

The Mad CP doesn’t have a silicone connector midpoint? This would allow adjustments. And you may have to tweak its position from the engine side too.

Older? Don’t we all.

Last edited by vrooooom; 01-25-2022 at 09:01 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2021, 09:13 PM   #28
MASHCT
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Damn nice install VE. Making the washers is a great idea. Sounds like you managed to get everything installed even with the CP being just a touch too long.

And I agree with the getting too old thing... I am alllllmost ready to start paying people to do this shit for me. LOL
2017 M2 | MGM | 6SPD Std | RWD | MP Exhaust | CSF FMIC | Active Autowerke DP w/ HF CAT | FTP Charge & Boost Pipes | Fortune Auto series 500 7k/14k coilovers | CDT Audio ES Gold Fronts & HD series Rear | Richland Forged Project Nurburg RF-GT4 Wheels | AudioControl LC-6.1200 | JL Audio TWK 88 | CF Goodies
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2021, 03:37 PM   #29
ddnmkun
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F87, G05

OP, Curious to know if these screw and washers I found from hd will work. Thanks
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-17-2021, 06:45 PM   #30
vrooooom
New BMW owner
Philippines
Rep

The washers may need to be bigger. It’s cheap enough you can get another bag or two that’s bigger. Next 2 sizes.

Did you get another shipment of CSF without a set of mounting hardwares?

The reason the washers are too small is bec when the screw shifts to one side the opening of the CSF, the washer would fall off one of the tabs. Distance between the 2 tabs is probably 12mm or more. What I did on mine was add a nut I had lying around that happened to fit between the tabs. I drilled the threads out so not to mess with the threads of the screws. In short in became a bushing to make the opening on the tab smaller. So the CSF didn’t shift front & back. The washers didn’t need to be big anymore. Even a few millimeters of interference was enough to secure.

I didn’t have an aluminum flat sheet then to make a rectangle washer like shown above. But had nuts of varying sizes.

Last edited by vrooooom; 12-17-2021 at 07:08 PM..
Appreciate 1
MASHCT624.00
      12-17-2021, 10:03 PM   #31
MASHCT
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddnmkun View Post
OP, Curious to know if these screw and washers I found from hd will work. Thanks
You got the right sized screw - you need to add a washer that is a little bigger than the one you have. Keep those - as you increase diameter, the screw hole gets bigger & the screw head may slip through. I found it tough to find a big-headed screw that kept the 1 1/4" #12 size. And then I found it hard to find a washer that was the right diameter that didn't have a too-big screw hole.

So doubling up became the surest bet.

I did read that a few folks used the stock screw but I think the CSF flange is too thick & not enough of the OEM screw bites to hold the intercooler. They are heavy (25 lbs) and I didn't want to risk anything coming loose. CT roads are the suckiest bunch of suckity sucks that ever sucked.

CSF could fix all of this by either providing proper screws & washers, or fix their mounting flange.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2021, 10:24 PM   #32
ddnmkun
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F87, G05

Thank you very much!
They do have a big variety of washer choice, will give them some try.
Appreciate 1
MASHCT624.00
      12-18-2021, 06:18 AM   #33
vrooooom
New BMW owner
Philippines
Rep

CSF doesn’t seem to have a listening ears for all our complaints (suggestions) coz this is pretty much a 4-yr old issue. I remember reading a posting from the start of their release and this was already mentioned. Fast forward to today…. Nada. One guy even received no hardwares period. Myb that was their solution. ��

Last edited by vrooooom; 01-17-2022 at 12:56 AM..
Appreciate 1
MASHCT624.00
      12-21-2021, 08:10 PM   #34
Wolfman’s Brother
Banned
Rep
Drives: M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by vrooooom View Post
CSF doesn’t seem have a listening ears for all our complaints coz this is pretty much a 4-yr old issue. I remember reading a posting from the start of their release and this was already mentioned. Fast forward to today…. Nada. One guy even received no hardwares period. Myb that was their solution. 🙄
My unit showed up with a 3 inch scratch in the top. Totally superficial, but, wack. That $500,000 911 project don’t pay for itself though

Sucks there isn’t a premium parts supplier like Full-Race or AMS Performance for this platform.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2022, 10:02 PM   #35
ZL9M2
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '17 M2 ZL9-'20 M2CS-'68 1600

Just received my CSF and the mounting tabs are a joke. A proper bracket on each side with a hole at the correct dimension would be the appropriate way to design the item. I had to stare at it for a while just to take in the stupidity of the design. I actually came here to review install notes as I thought maybe I was sent the wrong intercooler.
Appreciate 2
      01-17-2022, 05:05 AM   #36
vrooooom
New BMW owner
Philippines
Rep

You're asking for too much. We're just asking for the correct (and quality) washers and mounting screws. Ridiculous eh?
2018 BMW M2 LCI BM3 Stage 2 + MPE + FTP charge pipe + MST V2 Inlet + TurboSmart DV + CSF FMIC + AA Hi-flow Downpipe + Turner Rear Shifter Bushing + Wiechers Strut Brace + Bilstein B16 PSS10 + Apex VS-5RS
Appreciate 1
MASHCT624.00
      01-18-2022, 01:31 AM   #37
MASHCT
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

I do find it pretty ridiculous that CSF mfrs such a shit mounting option when (as far as I am aware) no one else is. This is definitely a recurring complaint with CSF and if they can mfr this shit mount, they can mfr a better one. And supply decent bolts.

That said, the purpose of the thread was to give other self modders a heads up that this is a problem and how to get around it. Hopefully this thread helped you some??
Appreciate 2
      01-18-2022, 05:56 PM   #38
ShortSides
First Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
what you think the install price should be for this part? I have the CSF in my closet and I'm being quoted almost 800 which is ridiculous imo
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2022, 06:23 PM   #39
MASHCT
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShortSides View Post
what you think the install price should be for this part? I have the CSF in my closet and I'm being quoted almost 800 which is ridiculous imo
I definitely think that is ridiculous. Had I known going in what it would have taken to install that intercooler - and I am not a skilled auto mechanic - and I bet if I didn't have to realign the FTP inlet/outlet pipes, it would have only taken a half-hour tops.

Seriously though, this is a pretty easy DIY. You can do it, I think. I used youtube videos - watched a couple of them. What messed me up was the prior FMIC install & misaligned pipes.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2022, 08:06 PM   #40
ShortSides
First Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
I'm not a hands guy. I'm a pay to have it done kind of guy. Just being real with it.

killer info though
Appreciate 1
MASHCT624.00
      01-18-2022, 09:33 PM   #41
vrooooom
New BMW owner
Philippines
Rep

Quote:
Ridiculous! It's not THAT hard.
2018 BMW M2 LCI BM3 Stage 2 + MPE + FTP charge pipe + MST V2 Inlet + TurboSmart DV + CSF FMIC + AA Hi-flow Downpipe + Turner Rear Shifter Bushing + Wiechers Strut Brace + Bilstein B16 PSS10 + Apex VS-5RS

Last edited by vrooooom; 01-18-2022 at 09:47 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2022, 12:11 AM   #42
ZL9M2
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '17 M2 ZL9-'20 M2CS-'68 1600

$800 to install?? That must include the price of the intercooler? Seriously, its maybe an hour max to install. Watch the videos and give it a shot.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2022, 01:37 AM   #43
MASHCT
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I'm not a hands guy. I'm a pay to have it done kind of guy. Just being real with it.

killer info though
If I was local I'd install it for you. You may be able to find a local DIY'er who's willing to install for some.beers and wings. Usually we DIY'ers enjoy doing the easy mods, which is why it never ends and we do stuff like stick carbon fiber on everything and replace gauge faces. You know, because n stuff. LOL

Maybe post a msg in your regional forum. Worth a shot.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2022, 02:33 AM   #44
TheHunterHofman
Private First Class
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW M3 Competition (LCII)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZL9M2 View Post
Just received my CSF and the mounting tabs are a joke. A proper bracket on each side with a hole at the correct dimension would be the appropriate way to design the item. I had to stare at it for a while just to take in the stupidity of the design. I actually came here to review install notes as I thought maybe I was sent the wrong intercooler.
I can still get mad at how stupid the mounting brackets and supplied washers and screws are lol.

Fwiw, I have made a video about the install of this very intercooler, maybe it can help you out:
Appreciate 0