BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > N55 Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning > THE ULTIMATE Intercooler Thread - What to Look For Before Buying an FMIC

03-23-2021, 10:39 AM   #661
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Quote:
Originally Posted by vrooooom View Post
I’m thinking of getting the FMIC + Charge pipe .... and high flow catted DP. Does it sound like I’m headed for stage 2? BM3 too. I’ve never done “tuning” before. Closest I’ve been was a drop-in KN filter.

Mike, I thought the CSF was PNP also and just had the washers as issues which is now included in the pack.

So the CSF is thicker but it’s also taller right? AA is 8.5” on your website, what’s the CSF’s height?

That’s what worries me a bit that the larger volume FMIC might have perceptible lag.

Got a deal on the catted DP?
I dont have the exact dimensions, i can get them but will need some time as we are currently running behind.

In short, the CSF intercooler is a much larger than AA.

If you are going with stage 2, you won't get a lag with CSF.

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2021, 10:40 AM   #662
AmuroRay
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by cecaa850 View Post
I had the larger intercooler. I believe it was the Race one. I was told it was plug and play and basically I didn't know what I was doing. The issue was that it would not fit between the condenser and the front brace. To get it in you needed to force it in using a floor jack and it rubbed the brace and the condenser. It would have rubbed a hole in short order and scarred everything up during the install. I sent them measurements proving there wasn't enough room and they insisted I was wrong. VRSF states they have a lifetime warranty and guarantee fitment yet they wouldn't credit me 100% of my money due to the fact that it had been installed and scratched during the install. Well duh. The whole process took weeks and my vehicle was undriveable the entire time. They would go days without answering my e-mails which is their only method of communication. It was extremely frustrating.
You had the Race? That's 11" tall, so it would make sense. I think VRSF started sending out washers to space out the front brace from the IC (per their response to you) I don't have a M2, so it's difficult to comment on the fitment.

I did reach out to VRSF about the IC I purchased recently (Competition) - I wanted to trade it up for the larger Race, they basically said 'No' but got back to me quickly. The rep I spoke to did not know the dimension of the IC, just the box it came in.

I ended up selling it (Just this weekend)to another member here for a nice loss on my end. Never installed it either.
      03-23-2021, 10:53 AM   #663
cecaa850
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmuroRay View Post
You had the Race? That's 11" tall, so it would make sense..
It wasn't the height it was the thickness of the top portion of the intercooler. I could go up farther with it if necessary but it was too fat to fit without modification. I actually asked if it would fit prior to purchasing because I didn't want to cut or remove the brace.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2021, 11:00 AM   #664
AmuroRay
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
It wasn't the height it was the thickness of the top portion of the intercooler. I could go up farther with it if necessary but it was too fat to fit without modification. I actually asked if it would fit prior to purchasing because I didn't want to cut or remove the brace.
We are saying the same thing. The upper portion is thicker on the larger cores

03-23-2021, 11:08 AM   #665
vrooooom
New BMW owner
Philippines
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M2 LCI

Where would the CSF fit in the lineup? Between 2 & 3?
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2021, 11:13 AM   #666
cecaa850
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Where would the CSF fit in the lineup? Between 2 & 3?
It looks similar to the competition but has no clearance issues.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2021, 11:27 AM   #667
AmuroRay
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
It looks similar to the competition but has no clearance issues.
This is likely the case. It's a 5.5" intercooler vs the 5" for the VRSF pictured and 6-6.5" VRSF.

I'd guess the step is likely 2" or so.
      03-23-2021, 12:32 PM   #668
cecaa850
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
This is likely the case. It's a 5.5" intercooler vs the 5" for the VRSF pictured and 6-6.5" VRSF.

I'd guess the step is likely 2" or so.
8 and 1/4" tall. For some reason 2 and 3/4" top step sticks in my mind but don't quote me on that. It's been a while since I researched it and I think I called CSF for the dimensions.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2021, 07:32 PM   #669
vrooooom
New BMW owner
Philippines
Rep

I was online chatting with CSF the other night and the person on the other side didn’t know. Roll eyes.

But at least I’m not hearing fitment issues. Except for the charge pipe connection which is supposedly not lined like the OEM. Is that intentional? I don’t remember know it was but the person thought there may have been a boost leak. Recently I came across another that also had the same “alignment” issue. Is this an install problem or product?

Last edited by vrooooom; 03-23-2021 at 09:06 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2021, 06:50 AM   #670
AmuroRay
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
I was online chatting with CSF the other night and the person on the other side didn’t know. Roll eyes.

But at least I’m not hearing fitment issues. Except for the charge pipe connection which is supposedly not lined like the OEM. Is that intentional? I don’t remember know it was but the person thought there may have been a boost leak. Recently I came across another that also had the same “alignment” issue. Is this an install problem or product?
It’s the way the IC inlet/outlets are angled I believe, try to ask Mike what CP worked well for most people. FTP and ER were the go tos.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2021, 09:56 AM   #671
mike@x-ph.com
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Quote:
It’s the way the IC inlet/outlets are angled I believe, try to ask Mike what CP worked well for most people. FTP and ER were the go tos.
FTP, MAD, BMS, Active Autowerke, CTS Turbo all guaranteed to fit with the CSF intercooler. ER fits as well, tight clearance but once connected its there forever

Appreciate 1
AmuroRay2282.50
      03-30-2021, 09:22 PM   #672
koastal
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: F87

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike@x-ph.com View Post
FTP, MAD, BMS, Active Autowerke, CTS Turbo all guaranteed to fit with the CSF intercooler. ER fits as well, tight clearance but once connected its there forever
FTP charge and boost pipe didnt fit with the CSF intercooler, due to the different angle of the CSF inlet and outlet ( to std intercooler) nothing that a few weeks of trying different shops and $600 worth of custom pipework couldnt fix
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2021, 10:59 AM   #673
mike@x-ph.com
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by koastal View Post
FTP charge and boost pipe didnt fit with the CSF intercooler, due to the different angle of the CSF inlet and outlet ( to std intercooler) nothing that a few weeks of trying different shops and $600 worth of custom pipework couldnt fix
$600

Appreciate 0
      03-31-2021, 02:53 PM   #674
XutvJet
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2011 Cayman Base, 2016 M235

Quote:
Originally Posted by koastal View Post
Jesus, why is it so hard for some aftermarket companies to make parts fit like OEM and why do we accept this mediocrity?
      03-31-2021, 06:36 PM   #675
tx_M2
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by XutvJet View Post
Jesus, why is it so hard for some aftermarket companies to make parts fit like OEM and why do we accept this mediocrity?
Agreed 👍
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2021, 10:47 PM   #676
vrooooom
New BMW owner
Philippines
Rep

Quote:
Exact thoughts came to my head. There's a post that FTP is plug-n-play and then a week later BOOOM!

Supposedly there's no lag on CSF FMIC and then I came across a thread where it actually made the 0-60 slower. Hard to pull the trigger w/ all these info.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2021, 11:04 PM   #677
XutvJet
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2011 Cayman Base, 2016 M235

Quote:
Exact thoughts came to my head. There's a post that FTP is plug-n-play and then a week later BOOOM!

Supposedly there's no lag on CSF FMIC and then I came across a thread where it actually made the 0-60 slower. Hard to pull the trigger w/ all these info.
Totally agree. I've been modding my cars since the 1990s and have wasted thousands on ill fitting and underperforming parts.

What I've learned over nearly 3 decades is the following:

- Just because the OEM part might look restrictive, chances are it's not. A lot of money went into engineering the part and rarely do automakers leave lots of power on the table with mediocre parts.

- You get what you pay for most of the time. Cheap often means poor fitting.

- Do your due diligence. Research and learn before pulling the trigger. Reviewers will often hype the positives of the mod and understate the negatives like drone, increased NVH, driveability quirks, lag, etc. I've been suckered so many times.

- Trust but verify.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2021, 11:41 PM   #678
AmuroRay
Brigadier General
Rep

Heard from whom?
BeePee is very active on here, ask him.

https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...1493305&page=2

Last edited by AmuroRay; 03-31-2021 at 11:51 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2021, 02:34 AM   #679
vrooooom
New BMW owner
Philippines
Rep

Quote:
Heard from whom?
BeePee is very active on here, ask him.

https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...1493305&page=2
BeePee has Stage 2 bolt-on upgrades.... could those upgrades like downpipes masked/resolved the lag that may be evident against all stock?

The consensus is that the larger FMIC (like CSF) will introduce lag and that the additional DP, CP, inlet, BM3 tune etc should make that lag negligible.

You can't be running those upgrades w/o a FMIC that's bigger. Correct?

Last edited by vrooooom; 04-01-2021 at 03:08 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2021, 06:07 AM   #680
3t3p
Major
New Zealand
Rep
Drives: M2

Forge CP fit with my DO88 FMIC for what it's worth.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2021, 06:51 AM   #681
PackPride85
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2

Quote:
Quote:

0-60 time is not at all the proper way to measure intercooler efficiency. There's so many things wrong with that I don't know where to begin.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2021, 07:24 AM   #682
AmuroRay
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
BeePee has Stage 2 bolt-on upgrades.... could those upgrades like downpipes masked/resolved the lag that may be evident against all stock?
no.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bee Pee View Post
I ran typical stg 2 bolt-ons (Fspeed 200 cell DP/AFE dry drop in filter/ER boost pipes/CSF cooler) with stock tune for a while and no noticeable increase in lag but I also have pure hi inlet pipe & GFB dv+. Both these add ons help throttle response over stock with stock tune. Then, with remap, car punches harder everywhere & much more resilient/stable in mid & upper rev range.
This is BeePee’s post. I found another post making reference to lag, but it was attributed to the GTS transmission software

Quote:

The consensus is that the larger FMIC (like CSF) will introduce lag and that the additional DP, CP, inlet, BM3 tune etc should make that lag negligible.

You can't be running those upgrades w/o a FMIC that's bigger. Correct?
Who said that? I posted a review of the multiple cores, that’s not a rule - especially on this platform.
Appreciate 0