BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > S55 Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning > M2C AWE Exhaust

09-02-2019, 06:55 PM   #1
///AVM
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: G80 M3C

M2C AWE Exhaust

Coming to 2020 M2C from Macan Turbo with AWE Track Exhaust – absolutely love the AWE exhaust acoustics.

I MUST get rid of the stock M2C exhaust!

AWE makes Track and SwitchPath exhaust options for M4 (S55) but, to my knowledge, nothing specific to the M2C (S55) yet.

Until AWE produces a specific M2C (S55) option, I was wondering if anyone has tried, and successfully fit either the Track or SwitchPath systems to an M2C (S55)?

Thank you

///AVM
Appreciate 1
Malakas465.00
      09-05-2019, 10:38 PM   #2
///AVM
Banned
United_States
Rep

With no responses, I think I am under reasonable impression that nobody has pursued and/or successfully fitted an AWE M4 Track or SwitchPath exhaust to an M2C. I was hopeful, but not surprised.

I am just so damn impressed with the AWE Track exhaust in my Macan Turbo that I am holding out hope a similar AWE option becomes available for the M2C. I have reached out to AWE directly, and still awaiting response.

In the interim, the only other exhaust option that has caught my ‘ears’ is the Active AutoWekre mid-pipe swap.

I will update thread when I hear back from AWE regarding M2C options, if any, moving forward.

///AVM
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2019, 10:21 AM   #3
///AVM
Banned
United_States
Rep

Update:

I received phone call from AWE representative this morning. Unfortunately, they confirmed that their M4 Track and SwitchPath exhaust options are not compatible with the M2 Competition out of the box.

Although certainly within the realm of possibility, the AWE representative was unaware of any M2C owner performing custom conversion of the M4 AWE offerings to M2C.

Finally, given the relative number of M2C builds on the road, AWE has no plans to invest in the development of an M2C-specific exhaust system at this time.

I am going to have to further contemplate aftermarket options available. Quality construction is most definitely available, however, I am simply underwhelmed in the quality of acoustics.

Modern turbo engines, coupled with emission regulations, represent a difficult compromise when it comes to exhaust acoustics.

///AVM
Appreciate 1
LGWGN249.50
      09-06-2019, 08:00 PM   #4
Malakas
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2c

I wonder how hard it would be for them to adapt their exhaust for the M2.... Or if they would just sell the rear section and then you could connect an AA mid pipe (with just a small amount of fabrication). I agree their exhausts sound great. As I'm trying to figure out which exhaust to buy... I wish this was an option to consider.

Which version did you have for the Macan?
Appreciate 1
///AVM2528.00
      09-06-2019, 09:54 PM   #5
///AVM
Banned
United_States
Rep

Malakas

As I was told by the AWE technician, the problem with fitting to the M2C did not lie primarily with lengthwise modification. Rather, he felt the problem lies with the width of the exhaust.

The Track system is essentially an ‘axle-back’ muffler delete, with a rigid strut between downpipes – replacing the structure of the muffler. The AWE technician felt the strut would not fit the M2C, and modifying the strut might be possible, but difficult and of unknown impact on the integrity of the system.

The SwitchPath is a complete muffler system. In BMWs, there seems to be a secondary cat system in the mid-pipes, so I believe it is most precise to call it a ‘primary cat-back’ exhaust. The Switchpath has a muffler and retains valve control, where as the Track is muffler delete that is all beast-mode, all the time. Both the Track and Switchpath options come with resonated and non-resonated options.

To answer your other question, I have the AWE Track exhaust in my Macan Turbo. Best exhaust I have ever owned in a modern turbo engine. It is LOUD and the acoustic notes are amazing with both throttle and shifting. Nothing I have come across in terms of M2C aftermarket offerings seems to even approach the sound I have in my Macan Turbo and am after in my M2C.

I am not optimistic the exhaust I am after exists for the M2C, and compromise will have to be made. As of right now, the compromise I am most considering is the AA mid-pipe swap. Not interested in Akrapovic, Remus, Eisennman . . . and other options most commonly discussed for the M2C. All quality made, but not of the acoustic quality I am after.

https://www.awe-tuning.com/ivaf/prod.../3.0L%20Turbo/

///AVM
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2019, 10:07 PM   #6
Kleinacus
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2C 6MT Build Week 33

Was in a similar boat as you. I have their touring on my b8 s4 and tried to convince them to do something for the m2c in person. Their HQ is about 30 mins from me. I ended up going AA mid and remus. I couldn't deal with the stock sound and look.
///AVM2528.00
RemusUSA227.50
      09-06-2019, 10:30 PM   #7
///AVM
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kleinacus View Post
Was in a similar boat as you. I have their touring on my b8 s4 and tried to convince them to do something for the m2c in person. Their HQ is about 30 mins from me. I ended up going AA mid and remus. I couldn't deal with the stock sound and look.
Kleinacus

Thank you for your feedback.

Exhaust acoustics are so subjective, and I am by no means trying to refute anyone’s high opinion of the various aftermarket options. I simply do not share the enthusiasm toward what is available. I realize you did not suggest otherwise, but wanted to get that ‘out there’ before my comments are misconstrued.

With specific regard to your AA mid-pipe + Remus, I did not think the Remus added much to what AA mid-pipe added alone. . . although the aesthetics of the Remus is certainly better than the stock M2C muffler.

I am completely uncommitted to anything at this point, but leaning toward the AA mid-pipe. Perhaps something else will pop up and appeal to my acoustic senses?

Thank you again

///AVM
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2019, 10:37 AM   #8
Malakas
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///AVM View Post
Malakas

As I was told by the AWE technician, the problem with fitting to the M2C did not lie primarily with lengthwise modification. Rather, he felt the problem lies with the width of the exhaust.

The Track system is essentially an ‘axle-back’ muffler delete, with a rigid strut between downpipes – replacing the structure of the muffler. The AWE technician felt the strut would not fit the M2C, and modifying the strut might be possible, but difficult and of unknown impact on the integrity of the system.

The SwitchPath is a complete muffler system. In BMWs, there seems to be a secondary cat system in the mid-pipes, so I believe it is most precise to call it a ‘primary cat-back’ exhaust. The Switchpath has a muffler and retains valve control, where as the Track is muffler delete that is all beast-mode, all the time. Both the Track and Switchpath options come with resonated and non-resonated options.
I had a GTR where I pulled all the resonators and cats off the downpipes/mid-pipes, and only had 2 small resonators in the rear section of the 4" titanium exhaust. It sounded amazing... it was, as you said, beast mode. I guess Im getting old, and when I stopped tracking the car and starting driving it more around town, I wish I had the option to shut it up once in a while (like driving by cops) or even STI's that wanted to run from a 60 roll.

I thought the 2 M buttons on the M2C seemed kind of silly, I mean there are not that many adjustments that you would need 2 presets... but then I realized there may be a hidden genius here. Figuring the stock exhaust was slapped on there from the M3/M4 and most owners would change it out anyway... then the 2 steering wheel buttons would allow a quick change of valve modes on the exhaust (provided one was efficient mode and one was sport)... which would be great for late nate arrivals in the neighborhood, or when you need to silence it up...

This is why I'd like the sound of the straight through exhaust sometimes, and others I'd like to have the resonators to be available.

Sadly you can never really appreciate the acoustics of an exhaust on youtube... and its hard to meet up with local people who have different pieces to compare. AA mid pipe does seem to have a benefit by mixing the banks to improve the raspy sound. Beyond that... who knows what rear sounds the best... seems like a crap shoot. I would give AWE my business on the switchpath but it seems that's not an option. Im going to shoot an email to Kline and see about their inconel exhaust... otherwise its Remus or Akrapovic I guess.
2012 - 5.2L R8 v10, 6MT
2011 - 4.0L E92 M3, 6MT
Appreciate 1
///AVM2528.00
      09-07-2019, 11:14 AM   #9
Rob360
Rep
Drives: None

As someone who is planning ahead for the eventual purchase of an M2C, it is disheartening to see that the consensus is that there is no consensus on a quality after market exhaust that will greatly improve the sound acoustics.
Appreciate 1
///AVM2528.00
      09-07-2019, 11:42 AM   #10
///AVM
Banned
United_States
Rep

Malakas

I absolutely agree that one must be careful in making online assessment of exhaust systems.

The online videos rarely do the various exhaust systems justice in terms of LOUDNESS (decibels), and neither manufacturer nor owners showcasing their systems online seem to want to admit if their exhaust system drones.

What I do think can be well deciphered via online videos is the ability of an exhaust setup to deliver tones and notes (acoustics) one is after. Modern turbo engines with responsible emissions seem to be obligated to produce the high-pitched (raspy) sound. Like most, my objective is toward that of the deeper rumble that I believe AWE is better at than any other aftermarket manufacturer.

Equipped with superchargers, the new American muscle cars still produce some great acoustics. The video below is the modern objective. I realize this will not be achieved in my M2C – probably never in any turbocharged engine – but this represents the current standard I am after . . . and have come reasonably close to achieving with AWE Track exhaust in my Macan Turbo.

As much as I love my AWE Track system, I also agree with you that having an intact valve-control system is desirable.

Knowing that AWE is not an option leaves me uncertain moving forward regarding aftermarket exhaust options. AA mid-pipe with Macht Schnell Exhaust Valve Control module has my current attention, but I will let you know if/when I decide to pull trigger on one or another exhaust mod.

https://machtschnell.com/exhaust-val...vc-module.html

///AVM
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2019, 11:58 AM   #11
///AVM
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob360 View Post
As someone who is planning ahead for the eventual purchase of an M2C, it is disheartening to see that the consensus is that there is no consensus on a quality after market exhaust that will greatly improve the sound acoustics.
Rob360

As you know, acoustics are very subjective.

I suspect the vast majority of individuals pursuing Akrapovic, Remus, Eisennman, etc . . . aftermarket exhaust systems are very happy with acoustics delivered.

In other words, I think the 'consensus' is that most of these aftermarket options are satisfying, and my perspective likely represents that of the minority.

So, I would not be too discouraged at this point. You might actually find the stock M2C exhaust acoustics very appealing once you take delivery? There are numerous M2C owners on this forum who state how much they like the stock exhaust.

If not happy with the stock M2C exhaust, you might find one of the aftermarket offerings quite appealing. . . or you might end up in a small boat alongside me and my quest for something that has yet to 'heard.'

Last edited by ///AVM; 09-07-2019 at 07:32 PM.. Reason: Grammar
Appreciate 1
Rob36010.50
      09-07-2019, 01:49 PM   #12
Malakas
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

///AVM

Excellent points all around... and I absolutely agree the GT500 sounds amazing. I even thought about waiting for one, but when they said there was no manual, I lost interest.

The one thing I think that deserves mention here is that I was pretty happy with the tone of the stock exhaust (definitely not the look)... and then I bought an ODB wifi adapter and BimmerCode and coded off the ASD. Wow... I mean WOW. The stock exhaust has no sound whatsoever. Most of what we hear is fake.
2012 - 5.2L R8 v10, 6MT
2011 - 4.0L E92 M3, 6MT
Appreciate 1
///AVM2528.00
      09-07-2019, 02:45 PM   #13
///AVM
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malakas View Post
The stock exhaust has no sound whatsoever. Most of what we hear is fake.
Yes, absolutely. As has been discussed by many previously, the current ‘sound’ of things is multifactorial.

Turbocharged engines, emission controls and better vehicle sound insulation are all very positive things overall, however, have deprived acoustic pleasures many enthusiasts crave as part of the driving experience.

As such, auto manufacturers have been forced to be creative in the process of trying to deliver the complete package. Complete now comes with ‘compromise.’ Artificial sound among the ingredients.

I think we could beat this horse for days, but you and I – and many alike – recognize the problem. The difficulty lies with identifying an acceptable solution.

As per my response to Rob360, my impression is that I am in the minority. Many, if not most, seem quite satisfied with one or more of the many aftermarket options currently available. THIS IS JUST MY OPINION AND I MIGHT BE VERY WRONG. . . but I believe the satisfaction most express is more associated with the decibel enhancement (loudness) achieved with most aftermarket exhaust options. In contrast, I am equally, if not more interested in the tones and notes, which is what I feel are lacking in currently available options. At least those of which I am aware.

///AVM
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2019, 02:40 PM   #14
Rob360
Rep
Drives: None

Quote:
Rob360

As you know, acoustics are very subjective.

I suspect the vast majority of individuals pursuing Akrapovic, Remus, Eisennman, etc . . . aftermarket exhaust systems are very happy with acoustics delivered.

In other words, I think the 'consensus' is that most of these aftermarket options are satisfying, and my perspective likely represents that of the minority.

So, I would not be too discouraged at this point. You might actually find the stock M2C exhaust acoustics very appealing once you take delivery? There are numerous M2C owners on this forum who state how much they like the stock exhaust.

If not happy with the stock M2C exhaust, you might find one of the aftermarket offerings quite appealing. . . or you might end up in a small boat alongside me and my quest for something that has yet to 'heard.'
I have test driven the M2C at length, and I was disappointed in the exhaust note. In my research, it seems that people are somewhat divided on their opinion of the exhaust sounds on the M2C, with several Youtube reviewers making remarks ranging from "excellent" to "I *really* hate the sound of the exhaust."

To me it sounds a bit too raspy, and not full throated (for lack of a better term).

Also, I do not see a consensus on this forum as to which aftermarket exhaust is "best" in terms of sound quality.
Appreciate 1
///AVM2528.00
      09-08-2019, 03:33 PM   #15
pz619
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: F87 M2C 6MT, Tesla 3

I’ve heard the AWE on M4s and honestly wasn’t impressed. The S55 isn’t exactly the best sounding motor but I think there are great options. Personally I went with the Remus but heard the AA and Akra in person and they sound pretty good as well. Overall, very happy with the Remus Race.
Appreciate 1
///AVM2528.00
      09-08-2019, 05:43 PM   #16
///AVM
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob360 View Post
I have test driven the M2C at length, and I was disappointed in the exhaust note. In my research, it seems that people are somewhat divided on their opinion of the exhaust sounds on the M2C, with several Youtube reviewers making remarks ranging from "excellent" to "I *really* hate the sound of the exhaust."

To me it sounds a bit too raspy, and not full throated (for lack of a better term).

Also, I do not see a consensus on this forum as to which aftermarket exhaust is "best" in terms of sound quality.
Rob

The ‘best’ is hard to identity with something so subjective as acoustic preference. This brings up a couple points. . .

To be clear, I am not ‘bashing’ the aftermarket offerings that many have come to enjoy. I am simply stating I have not identified the acoustic setup I am after up to this point.

To be fair and reasonable, I am largely dependent upon the online videos I have acknowledged are less than optimal in making proper evaluation of an exhaust modification. It is all but impossible to hear all the various options in-person, so one must exercise some level of best judgement based on information that is available.

I refer to my statement in prior post, suggesting many owners appear to express satisfaction more with the decibel enhancement (loudness) than they are other acoustic qualities. As you reference Rob, the M2C – like most modern turbo engines – suffer high-pitched (raspy) acoustic qualities that many find off-putting. Toward this end, I DO feel the online videos are pretty good at allowing one to assess the ability of an aftermarket exhaust system to produce deeper (‘throatier’) acoustics.

My conclusion thus far is that the available options are good at enhancing the decibels, and less so at enhancing other aspects of the acoustic experience that I am after. I might be chasing a unicorn?!

///AVM
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2019, 05:51 PM   #17
///AVM
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pz619 View Post
I’ve heard the AWE on M4s and honestly wasn’t impressed. The S55 isn’t exactly the best sounding motor but I think there are great options. Personally I went with the Remus but heard the AA and Akra in person and they sound pretty good as well. Overall, very happy with the Remus Race.
PZ

I appreciate your feedback.

Your satisfaction with the Remus Race appears in keeping with majority who have pursued the offering.

As you also suggest, the same can be said of the AA, Akrapovic, Eisenmann, and other aftermarket offerings commonly referenced and discussed.

Per my prior post, I am likely chasing a unicorn in my personal aftermarket pursuits.

///AVM
Appreciate 1
pz6193274.00
      09-28-2019, 11:15 AM   #18
1mm2
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M2

Quote:
PZ

Per my prior post, I am likely chasing a unicorn in my personal aftermarket pursuits.

///AVM
I am as well.

My wife has an LCI and it sounds great in stock form.

I have driven the 2020 extensively and the sound is just not there for me.

I have heard the remus (sans midpipe) and it is definitely an improvement from stock but not at the level of the single turbo N55.

I may simply have to accept it for all the benefits the comp gives you.
Appreciate 0