BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > S55 Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning > Carbahn vs. Dinan flash tunes? Pros/cons from one to the other?

04-08-2021, 04:25 PM   #177
Kleinacus
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2C 6MT Build Week 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmooManiak View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kleinacus View Post
Thank You, those are some impressive numbers for a stage 1! Did you by any chance take it to the track or try dragy just to see how it compares to stock?
Nope. I'll get some draggy pulls in the next week or so. A few car events that aren't around the corner should present some opportunities. I just happened to get the car dyno-ed stock but didn't plan on getting it tuned until end of warranty. Then the whispers of the dme updates locking things down and I made the decision to go carbahn at my dealership instead of risking a dme update. My dme was unlocked and my istep allowed me to use their tablet too. I really lucked out with timing.

Since then i got the 4 pin crank hub done, charge pipes, intercooler, and the skid plate to protect the oil cooler. Upgraded heat exchanger, oil cooler, and clutch stuff are in boxes and next. It's all about protecting stuff now. I don't need any more power in this thing.

I'll report back any draggy pulls i get.
      04-09-2021, 10:11 AM   #178
TrentMeister
Colonel
Rep
Drives: g82 comp

Does anyone know if carbahn has the update the other timers have in regards to the load under shifting in the 6mt?
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2021, 01:56 PM   #179
TheoIam
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M2C

I just thought I’d chime in on this. I went to the CarBahn office in San Jose during the sale last month and got the Dinan carbon fiber intake installed as well as the stage one flash. I also chose to get the warranty as well as the flashing tablet. I can say that at this point I can not see needing any more power in this car. I plan on upgrading the stock tire size plus one for my next set a tires to take care of some of the extra power.

I definitely noticed the difference in the mid range and definitely above 5000 RPMs to redline. Where the car seemed to just stay flat above 5000 RPMs now continues to build power almost all the way to redline. I will say the only downside is if you’re doing a lot of stop and go driving, at least in a six speed manual like I have, it’s a little harder to modulate. Because of this I have configured my M1 button to be an efficient and sport plus and my M2 button to sport plus in both.

If I’m in stop and go traffic or if I’m driving around in town with lots of stoplights I’ll keep it in M1. If I’m doing a lot of freeway or back road driving it’s always in M2.

I like others chose CarBahn because of the added warranty. I have no regrets whatsoever and it really has increased my enjoyment of the car. If you’re on the fence and you really want to keep a warranty I recommend it completely.

Last edited by TheoIam; 04-09-2021 at 04:16 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2021, 04:05 PM   #180
Kleinacus
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2C 6MT Build Week 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheoIam View Post
I just thought I'd chime in on this. I went to the CarBahn office in San Jose during the sale last month and got the Dinan carbon fiber intake installed as well as the stage one flash. I also chose to get the warranty as well as the flashing tablet. I can say that at this point I can not see needing any more power in this car. I plan on upgrading the stock tire size plus one for my next set a tires to take care of some of the extra power.

I definitely noticed the difference in the mid range and definitely above 5000 RPMs to redline. Where the car seemedvto just stay flat above 5000 RPMs now continues to build power almost all the way to redline. I will say the only downside is if you're doing a lot of stop and go driving, at least in a six speed manual like I have, it's a little harder to modulate. Because of this I have configured my M1 button to be an efficient and sport plus and my M2 button to sport plus in both.

If I'm in stop and go traffic or if I'm driving around in town with lots of stoplights I'll keep it in M1. If I'm doing a lot of freeway in the door road road driving it's always in M2.

I like others chose CarBahn because of the added warranty. I have no regrets whatsoever and it really has increased my enjoyment of the car. If you're on the fence and you really want to keep a warranty I recommend it completely.
Look into the cdv delete and ultimate clutch pedal. Next up for me to handle the 1 to 2 being worse with the added power. Will report back when i have it done.
      04-09-2021, 05:16 PM   #181
Inuyasha
“One finds limits by pushing them”
Rep

The Carbahn Warrant covers the tune? What else would it cover, anything damaged related to the tune?
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2021, 07:24 PM   #182
AmooManiak
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 21 X5 M50i -> M2C -> 21 M5C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inuyasha View Post
The Carbahn Warrant covers the tune? What else would it cover, anything damaged related to the tune?
It covers the powertrain if anything goes wrong as the result of the tune.

Basically, you take the car to BMW and if they deny the claim due to the tune, Carbahn picks up the bill.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2021, 12:41 PM   #183
Inuyasha
Rep

What if your factory warranty has expired? Then its not worth buying the carbahn warranty correct?
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2021, 02:04 PM   #184
flybigjet
Remove Before Flight
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2C & Boeing's light twin

Quote:
What if your factory warranty has expired? Then its not worth buying the carbahn warranty correct?
Correct. CarBahn's warranty runs concurrently with the BMW warranty. Both will expire at the same time.
      04-14-2021, 04:27 PM   #185
schnell1982
Captain
Rep
Drives: FAST

Quote:
If your factory warranty has expired; Carbahns's warranty is 2 years.
On their website they list the details about the warranty
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2021, 04:44 PM   #186
Inuyasha
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by schnell1982 View Post
If your factory warranty has expired; Carbahns's warranty is 2 years.
On their website they list the details about the warranty
Thanks! I did not know that.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2021, 07:23 PM   #187
ptper
Major
Rep
Drives: '18 Avus Blue F80

"If your vehicle is outside of the vehicle manufacturer’s new car limited warranty, for two (2) years from the original purchase date of the CarBahn Autoworks product, CarBahn Autoworks will repair or replace, at its sole discretion, any defective CarBahn Autoworks component. This warranty does not include reimbursement for repairs to any original vehicle manufacturer component(s) that may have been affected by a CarBahn Autoworks component."
Appreciate 2
akkando5872.50
      04-14-2021, 09:37 PM   #188
TheoIam
Lieutenant
Rep

Which makes sense to get the tune while you have a factory warranty and not after. If nothing goes wrong for the first couple of years of having the tune then I would expect it’s pretty safe. At least this is my theory since I plan on keeping it for awhile. I had my E39 M5 for 13y.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2021, 07:27 AM   #189
AmooManiak
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheoIam View Post
Which makes sense to get the tune while you have a factory warranty and not after. If nothing goes wrong for the first couple of years of having the tune then I would expect it’s pretty safe. At least this is my theory since I plan on keeping it for awhile. I had my E39 M5 for 13y.
I had the same thought process. I have just under 2 years remainig and wanted to have that assurance with Carbahn for those two years to fix any kinks that may come with it. I figure after 2 years, if something breaks, it would have broken while being stock anyway.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2021, 08:24 AM   #190
Inuyasha
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptper View Post
"If your vehicle is outside of the vehicle manufacturer’s new car limited warranty, for two (2) years from the original purchase date of the CarBahn Autoworks product, CarBahn Autoworks will repair or replace, at its sole discretion, any defective CarBahn Autoworks component. This warranty does not include reimbursement for repairs to any original vehicle manufacturer component(s) that may have been affected by a CarBahn Autoworks component."
Thanks, so it would make sense not to get the Carbahn warranty If your factory warranty expires.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2021, 08:44 PM   #191
ptper
Major
Rep
Drives: '18 Avus Blue F80

Quote:
Thanks, so it would make sense not to get the Carbahn warranty If your factory warranty expires.
The way I'm reading it, there is no warranty to get. Carbahn won't warranty against engine failure due to the tune if you are past your new car warranty.

IMHO, if you are out of factory warranty, there are other tuners (e.g. BM3) that make more power, offer a variety of options with a good amount of customers that are very satisfied.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2021, 08:54 AM   #192
AmooManiak
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptper View Post
The way I'm reading it, there is no warranty to get. Carbahn won't warranty against engine failure due to the tune if you are past your new car warranty.

IMHO, if you are out of factory warranty, there are other tuners (e.g. BM3) that make more power, offer a variety of options with a good amount of customers that are very satisfied.
While I agree that it's probably more cost effective to go with BM3 outside of warranty, most Stage 1 tunes produce about the same power (reliably.)

Having said that, I trust someone like Carbahn with their R&D over BM3 since they are confident enough to stand behind their products with warranty. This is of course if you are not looking to constantly change tunes. Since Carbahn has the option to tune your car via their little tool at home, you also have that convenience just like BM3.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2021, 01:12 PM   #193
BigJRocksIt
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C

Having the Carbahn Stage 1 installed in the next hour, and can't wait. I'll report back on how it feels and any differences over stock. I have no other modifications other than the MP exhaust and coilovers.

Previous to my M2C I had a Miata RF with the Edelbrock SC on it. It was a nightmare. Lurch-y starts, random behavior issues, no fun. It took us almost 3 months to get the tune right with the help of a remote shop. And though I loved my Little Buddy, the issues with the SC pushed me to edge with it and had to trade it in for my M2C.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2021, 02:15 PM   #194
TheoIam
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJRocksIt View Post
Having the Carbahn Stage 1 installed in the next hour, and can't wait. I'll report back on how it feels and any differences over stock. I have no other modifications other than the MP exhaust and coilovers.

Previous to my M2C I had a Miata RF with the Edelbrock SC on it. It was a nightmare. Lurch-y starts, random behavior issues, no fun. It took us almost 3 months to get the tune right with the help of a remote shop. And though I loved my Little Buddy, the issues with the SC pushed me to edge with it and had to trade it in for my M2C.
Slightly harder to launch in Sport + but once you feel the rush from 5k to redline you WILL BE hooked.
Appreciate 1
      04-16-2021, 05:03 PM   #195
BigJRocksIt
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C

Just got the car back... my favorite part is where you're in sport+ , you give it gas, and it sounds like a cougar-dragon about to burn down a small village.

Need to get my Cup2's on ASAP, getting on the highway TC kicked in 4th. Worth every damn penny. Can't wait to get someplace where I can unleash it.

Thanks for all the great info here and feedback.
Appreciate 1
Kleinacus671.00
      04-16-2021, 06:12 PM   #196
AmooManiak
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Good to know. I got my Carbahn remote tuner a few days ago but my car is getting a ceramic coated and I won't have it back until tomorrow. Can't wait to tune and try it out.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2021, 04:47 PM   #197
camilowsky
Rep
Drives: BMW M340i

Does anyone has recommendstions. Read a little bit of this thread, and I myself, want to get a tune. Torn apart between Dinan + and Carbahn that both have a warranty. I have an M340i. Which of these guarantee more hp/tq? Can’t really tell from their dyno graphs.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2021, 10:23 PM   #198
pz619
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: F87 M2C 6MT, Tesla 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by camilowsky View Post
Does anyone has recommendstions. Read a little bit of this thread, and I myself, want to get a tune. Torn apart between Dinan + and Carbahn that both have a warranty. I have an M340i. Which of these guarantee more hp/tq? Can’t really tell from their dyno graphs.
Probably a better question for the 3 series forum. Different motor on the M2C so it won’t be applicable to your car.
Appreciate 0