BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > S55 Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning > AA Equal Length Midpipe (stock muffler and downpipes)

06-28-2021, 11:19 AM   #155
Atorak
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW M2 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike@x-ph.com View Post
Vibration or drone is caused by a bad install. The equal length has minimum clearance, the install has to be perfect for it not to drone.

i ran into the same issue on my own car and had to reinstall it to get rid of the vibration
Mike, I spoke to the guys at AA regarding their EL midpipe. It sounds like they are well aware of the issue that a lot of us are experiencing regarding the vibration ~2k rpms, most noticeably right after cold starts. Had I known this, I would not have purchased this product, but I'm already "X" dollars into the hole here.

The technicians that installed my midpipe put my car up on the lift twice after installation, and we all walked it together plus took photos. There was nothing rubbing or touching the midpipe, and I have the ~2k vibration issue. And it sucks.

Can you please speak to the guys at AA and perhaps come up with a workaround, or have them diagram a specific point where we're supposed to look with regards to "rubbing" that fixes this issue? It is near the stock exhaust? Is there a photo installation guide so we can check to make sure it's done per their "spec"? It's certainly not an isolated issue, and appears to be the only negative on an otherwise great product.
Appreciate 1
StephGOD218.50
      06-28-2021, 12:20 PM   #156
StephGOD
KYHOMPB
United_States
Rep
Drives: Only BMW's Ja

Garage List
2020 M2C  [0.00]
2017 M3 Comp  [0.00]
2011 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atorak View Post
Mike, I spoke to the guys at AA regarding their EL midpipe. It sounds like they are well aware of the issue that a lot of us are experiencing regarding the vibration ~2k rpms, most noticeably right after cold starts. Had I known this, I would not have purchased this product, but I'm already "X" dollars into the hole here.

The technicians that installed my midpipe put my car up on the lift twice after installation, and we all walked it together plus took photos. There was nothing rubbing or touching the midpipe, and I have the ~2k vibration issue. And it sucks.

Can you please speak to the guys at AA and perhaps come up with a workaround, or have them diagram a specific point where we're supposed to look with regards to "rubbing" that fixes this issue? It is near the stock exhaust? Is there a photo installation guide so we can check to make sure it's done per their "spec"? It's certainly not an isolated issue, and appears to be the only negative on an otherwise great product.
Adding another data point to this ongoing saga. I installed the new EL midpipe + AA's new valved axleback (at the same time) and am pretty much experiencing the same issues as mentioned throughout this thread. The annoying "tin can" sounding noise typically only occurs during the first few minutes after the engine is running (between ~2k to 3k rpm) for me specifically, regardless if the exhaust is cold or already warmed up. However, if I just leave the car idling for 2-3min after the engine starts then all is fine and the "tin can" noise never actually appears so it's not obviously clear to me what the root-cause is here. Perhaps there's some some sort of vibrational frequency that occurs in the first few minutes after the engine is started and it's transferring to the EL midpipe causing this specific noise to be amplified? I looked back through TheHoffmobile IG videos of his M2C with the first EL midpipe & valved axleback prototype's and didn't hear the same sounding "tin can" noise once in any of them, even during cold start, so it appears something could've perhaps been changed or tweaked on the manufacturing side for the production units that's now inadvertently causing the issue

Also, in my case it's definitely not an install error as I've gone through and quadrupled checked all areas surrounding the exhaust from top to bottom. Nothing is rubbing or touching, I'm pretty much certain at this point.

Last edited by StephGOD; 06-28-2021 at 12:36 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2021, 12:34 PM   #157
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Quote:

Can you please speak to the guys at AA and perhaps come up with a workaround, or have them diagram a specific point where we're supposed to look with regards to "rubbing" that fixes this issue? It is near the stock exhaust? Is there a photo installation guide so we can check to make sure it's done per their "spec"? It's ceArtainly not an isolated issue, and appears to be the only negative on an otherwise great product.
As far as i am aware, the issue is only with catless downpipe and not stock or high flow catted

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2021, 12:54 PM   #158
pawelczyk7
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 bmw m2 comp 6spd

approx. `1 Week after EL install with MPE and not experiencing the bad vibrations called out by some. Are most of the folks having issues running the EL with stock exhaust ? looking to see if there is a common theme etc.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2021, 01:11 PM   #159
Atorak
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW M2 Comp

Quote:
As far as i am aware, the issue is only with catless downpipe and not stock or high flow catted
Hey Mike, I'd double check the thread, as there are several of us with completely stock cars except for the AA EL midpipe. Mine is completely stock on a stock exhaust/stock downpipe, the only change is the AA EL midpipe.
Appreciate 1
StephGOD218.50
      06-28-2021, 02:11 PM   #160
Greg094
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2018 M240I, M2 Comp (ordered)

I too have the slight vibration. Non res, stock muffler and downpipe. As others have mentioned if you let car idle for 2+ mins it seems to have no issues. Usually by the time I plug my phone in and put a song on etc. which is why I didn't notice it too often. However, if you start car and instantly set off it is definitely noticeable. This isn't to big of an issue for me since I usually let car idle 1-2 mins anyway and am not in a rush. However, the real issue now for me is the melting diffuser which I seem to also have after another member posted about it yesterday. Has anyone else in this thread experienced it. Go check under your muffler as I had no idea until I just went out and checked.
Appreciate 1
StephGOD218.50
      06-28-2021, 03:49 PM   #161
mike@x-ph.com
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Hey Mike, I'd double check the thread, as there are several of us with completely stock cars except for the AA EL midpipe. Mine is completely stock on a stock exhaust/stock downpipe, the only change is the AA EL midpipe.
i'll double-check with Active

Appreciate 0
      06-28-2021, 06:20 PM   #162
No_curebimmer
~Spyder
Sweden
Rep
Drives: '19 M2C Hockenheim 6sp

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
i'll double-check with Active
Everyone, my F87 M2C is completely stock except the non resonated AA EL mid-pipe.

To recap what has been posted in the last few weeks by numerous AA EL customers: the tinny-can bad noise < 2k RPM occurs:

- primarily on cold engines
- but also on warm engines (> 1 hr driving) - as evidenced by my own vids within the last week
- primarily on stock downpipes, and stock back muffler
- but also aftermarket mufflers (AA valved back box)
- Sport+ or Sport modes (efficient doesn't seem affected)
- BOTH under load (ie starting off from a red light) and stationary revs

It is thus reasonable to conclude that the common denominator for this bad noise is the AA mid-pipe.

Mike@x-ph - please update us with AA's recommendation(s) to remedy this issue. I am particularly interested to have it fixed since it's present on both warm/cold engine, and it really is unpleasant when it occurs (about 50% of the time for every rev session past 2k RPM).
rdriggett130.50
      07-01-2021, 04:17 AM   #163
rdriggett
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2C

I can hear a Nissan VQ esq. rasp around 1800-2200 rpm in this video. Does the resonated AA el midpipe clear that up?

https://www.instagram.com/reel/CGF58gSFKw7/
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2021, 08:57 PM   #164
DARKMTTR
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: '20 M2 Competition & '18 X1

Garage List
Finally got around to installing my EL Midpipe (non-res)! The car sounds phenomenal. Heres a short clip until I get around doing something more indepth.

Nicname354.00
rdriggett130.50
      07-07-2021, 09:23 PM   #165
Nicname
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DARKMTTR View Post
Finally got around to installing my EL Midpipe (non-res)! The car sounds phenomenal. Heres a short clip until I get around doing something more indepth.

Would you say it's noticeably louder than stock?
997.1 Turbo
///M3 E92
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2021, 09:30 AM   #166
mike@x-ph.com
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DARKMTTR View Post
Glad you like it

Appreciate 0
      07-08-2021, 09:33 PM   #167
Finz
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 02 M Coupe, MY20 M2C ED Sept

Garage List
2020 M2C  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicname View Post
I have the same setup (non res and OEM muffler) and it is much louder than stock in sport/sport+. You can actually hear it.
Nicname354.00
      07-08-2021, 10:23 PM   #168
Nicname
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finz View Post
Quote:
I have the same setup (non res and OEM muffler) and it is much louder than stock in sport/sport+. You can actually hear it.
Man sound is so subjective
The other issues thread has someone with a Remus Race and Resonated setup and doesn't think it's loud. At this point I'll just install my stuff and make my own judgement.
997.1 Turbo
///M3 E92
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2021, 11:56 PM   #169
Supadice
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2CS

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Man sound is so subjective
The other issues thread has someone with a Remus Race and Resonated setup and doesn't think it's loud. At this point I'll just install my stuff and make my own judgement.
I don't understand that at all. That one member is saying his Remus Race with EL is a tad louder than stock. How is that even possible…I know he's resonated but still can't be Juat a tad louder
      07-09-2021, 01:21 AM   #170
ESB
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2C

Garage List
Fucking hell I remember the "paralysis by analysis" I was feeling prior to purchasing something. SOOO many options. Soooo many opinions. Sooo many slight variations in video conditions (eg iPhone vs not. Wind vs not. Indoors vs outdoors).

Eventually just said FUCK IT and got the EL and never looked back.

I'll never know if I would've liked single more than EL but it doesn't matter. I like EL tons. If I one day find someone with single and hear it with my own ears and prefer it then I can make the judgment call as to whether I wanna swap. And I think of that as a win-win because in the "bad case" that I like single more then I'll just spend another 1-2k (which won't hurt much since it's spread out across a different year) and it'll make the car seem brand new again.

Anyways for anyone reading that is stuck on deciding: make a choice! You're unlikely to regret it. If needed start small and conservative (eg just midpipe) with opportunity to expand if you feel the need (eg swap muffler. Or swap down pipes. I felt the need to do neither)
Appreciate 3
      07-11-2021, 06:52 PM   #171
No_curebimmer
~Spyder
Sweden
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ESB View Post
Fucking hell I remember the "paralysis by analysis" I was feeling prior to purchasing something. SOOO many options. Soooo many opinions. Sooo many slight variations in video conditions (eg iPhone vs not. Wind vs not. Indoors vs outdoors).

Eventually just said FUCK IT and got the EL and never looked back.

I'll never know if I would've liked single more than EL but it doesn't matter. I like EL tons. If I one day find someone with single and hear it with my own ears and prefer it then I can make the judgment call as to whether I wanna swap. And I think of that as a win-win because in the "bad case" that I like single more then I'll just spend another 1-2k (which won't hurt much since it's spread out across a different year) and it'll make the car seem brand new again.

Anyways for anyone reading that is stuck on deciding: make a choice! You're unlikely to regret it. If needed start small and conservative (eg just midpipe) with opportunity to expand if you feel the need (eg swap muffler. Or swap down pipes. I felt the need to do neither)
Great post… your input is always on point!

Despite the lamenting posts you may have seen from me, I DON’T regret getting the AA non res EL midpipe. I am just baffled that this issue isn’t particular to one setup or another, it can happen cold/warm, or at different rpm levels (some reported ~2k, some vids show 3k, mine is at 1,5k). I strive for better/perfection, and without this issue, the AA EL will certainly fit that title…

As an engineer, it is my innate instinct to troubleshoot why things occur, and this AA EL tiny/raspiness issue seemingly doesn’t have a common root cause. If it did…perhaps a solution would already present itself!
Appreciate 1
ESB1198.00
      07-12-2021, 10:03 AM   #172
Midtown2020
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C (6MT) & X3MC

Is it perhaps vibrating at the coupling of the mid pipe to the back box? I think I read that the pipe diameters were slightly different from each other. Wonder if wrapping the smaller pipe with aluminum tape to increase its diameter would help?
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2021, 10:24 AM   #173
mike@x-ph.com
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ESB View Post
Anyways for anyone reading that is stuck on deciding: make a choice! You're unlikely to regret it.
Best advice ever

Appreciate 1
Supadice1029.00
      07-13-2021, 03:21 PM   #174
Finz
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 02 M Coupe, MY20 M2C ED Sept

Garage List
2020 M2C  [0.00]
I get a really loud pop when starting after the car has cooled down a bit (like after going into Bavarian Beers R Us for a few minutes). It is obnoxiously loud, but after the bang all is normal. Is there a way to code this out? EL non res, stock DP and Muffler.
      07-13-2021, 10:16 PM   #175
StephGOD
KYHOMPB
United_States
Rep
Drives: Only BMW's Ja

Garage List
2020 M2C  [0.00]
2017 M3 Comp  [0.00]
2011 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
I get a really loud pop when starting after the car has cooled down a bit (like after going into Bavarian Beers R Us for a few minutes). It is obnoxiously loud, but after the bang all is normal. Is there a way to code this out? EL non res, stock DP and Muffler.
Yes, you can disable the "GTS roar" with something like Bootmod3. Not sure why it's programmed as standard on the M2C from the factory as I had to actually enable this feature previously on my 2018 M3 Comp.

Last edited by StephGOD; 07-13-2021 at 10:17 PM.. Reason: c
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2021, 04:18 PM   #176
No_curebimmer
~Spyder
Sweden
Rep

Garage List
Has anyone mated the AA EL with Dinan M2C axleback? Most ELs owners tend to match with Remus, AA or MPE primarily, but I haven't seen any Dinan owner with an AA EL.

As I posted here: https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...&postcount=200

I think I found the best sounding S55 exhaust setup. Yes, I realize that sound is subjective, however, I seriously doubt that anyone here would say that this sound raspy, tinny, droning or anything negative. This in my mind is the MONEY EXHAUST setup - bar none...low deep rumble, throaty, really really mean!

P.S. the video shows an M4 with Dinan axleback, which is VERY different than the Dinan M2C axleback. Wonder what the sound difference (note, frequency, raspiness, etc.) between these 2 is.

//EDIT:
there are a few M4/M3 owners who are sporting the Dinan exhaust and the AA EL, but to my knowledge, no M2C owners posted anything on Bimmerpost, so no real world feedback for our platform. ///

Last edited by No_curebimmer; 07-22-2021 at 04:24 PM..
Appreciate 1
inTgr8r2434.50