BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Discussions > 6MT owners, do you consider your car hard to drive smoothly?

04-13-2020, 01:26 PM   #133
VisualEcho
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 M2 6MT

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by WedgeSalad View Post
As someone with very minimal manual experience do you think it would be a difficult car to learn on? Is learning on a car with rev matching a bad idea? I have a DCT but considering a manual as I have a daily driver now.
Brother, this car is a cake-walk as far as manuals go. I'm only bitching about wide throws and the 1-2 because I've had 14 manual cars in my life, so I know they could have done it a bit better. But overall it's awesomesauce.

And the rev-matching just makes everything easier. The only issue that I can see with learning on a car with a trans this good is that it'll be more difficult to drive most everything else, especially if it doesn't have rev-matching. That's some serious icing on the cake right there.

If I had any car to give you to learn a manual on it'd be a Honda S2000. pretty much the best 6MT in the world, perfect length throws, fantastic spacing, no helpful nannies, and you can't burn the clutch at all, it's a fucking Honda.

But the M2's 6MT will do for sure.
Appreciate 2
smknjoe234.00
      04-13-2020, 01:27 PM   #134
Nezil
Major
Rep
Drives: LCI '18 6MT M2

Quote:
As someone with very minimal manual experience do you think it would be a difficult car to learn on? Is learning on a car with rev matching a bad idea? I have a DCT but considering a manual as I have a daily driver now.
Yes and no... Rev matching, hill start assist and other features make learning to drive it very easy.

Having said that, the power delivery, combined with the powerful though light clutch, and the DFV make it difficult to get smooth in my opinion.

It's not necessary to rev-match down shifts in any manual gearbox car. If you don't, you'll need to slip the clutch in making your down shifts slower than they would be if you did rev-match, but there's nothing wrong with that.

Current Performance Mods:
CSF FMIC, ER CP, Fabspeed Cat, Aquamist WMI, GFB DV+, NGK 97506, BM3 (Stage 2 93 OTS), CDV delete, UCP, M2C/M3/M4 Strut Brace, M3/M4 Reinforcement Rings
Appreciate 1
      04-13-2020, 01:28 PM   #135
Nezil
Major
Rep
Drives: LCI '18 6MT M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by VisualEcho View Post
If I had any car to give you to learn a manual on it'd be a Honda S2000. pretty much the best 6MT in the world, perfect length throws, fantastic spacing, no helpful nannies, and you can't burn the clutch at all, it's a fucking Honda.
Oh how I miss the gearbox in my old S2000... I sold mine to my Dad with right of first refusal in the hope that I'll get it back one day.... one day....

Current Performance Mods:
CSF FMIC, ER CP, Fabspeed Cat, Aquamist WMI, GFB DV+, NGK 97506, BM3 (Stage 2 93 OTS), CDV delete, UCP, M2C/M3/M4 Strut Brace, M3/M4 Reinforcement Rings
Appreciate 1
VisualEcho6642.50
      04-13-2020, 01:43 PM   #136
VisualEcho
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nezil View Post
...hill start assist...
I forgot about that. How dreamy is that?? lol
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2020, 02:55 PM   #137
Moflow
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C 6MT

Quote:
Its the easiest manual I've ever driven. I have never owned a car with fewer than 3 pedals.

Reasons

1. Auto rev matching
2. Anti-stall
3. Low effort and relatively not vague shifter
4. Long clutch throw

You'll be fine to learn on this car, it'll even make you look like you're better than you are. The only downside is that you will pick up bad habits and when you go to drive other M/T cars you'll find they're more difficult than this one.
Appreciate 4
Conissah1576.00
AndrewC198910949.00
smknjoe234.00
      04-13-2020, 03:22 PM   #138
Top pup
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Z4MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris719 View Post
From my experience with the CDV in the Z4M, it was really only noticeable when modulating the clutch from a stop or in reverse. So, if that’s what you’re looking for I think it would be worthwhile for you.
On a Z4M it is mainly noticeable when maneuvering, but you can still notice a difference when changing gear. It doesn't make the changes any better but because the biting point doesn't move any more it makes it easier to re engage the clutch smoothly.

On the M2 I think they programmed in the horrible delay when you get back on the throttle after changing gear to protect the driveline instead so there is less need for the CVD.
Appreciate 1
chris7197393.50
      04-13-2020, 03:42 PM   #139
VisualEcho
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moflow View Post
2. Anti-stall
I'm glad you mentioned this. I HATE the anti-stall. It has gotten me into trouble more than once, making the car feel like, dare I say the old hydro-lock, where the car won't stop and it won't move. I hate it.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2020, 08:49 AM   #140
TrentMeister
Colonel
Rep
Drives: g82 comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by TemjinX2 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris719 View Post
CDV removal didn't make shifts 1->2 any smoother in my Z4M. It did make finely modulating the clutch from a dead stop and in reverse a lot nicer, though. I don't know what the ratios are in the Civic, but the ratio gap and overall short gearing is a much bigger contributor in BMW M cars.

Unless Honda is using a very restrictive valve, I would have to guess the delay is in the low 100s of ms on BMWs.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure it has nothing to do with stalling, but protecting the drivetrain in case the clutch is dumped hard.
who would clutch dump a 60k car?

even the motor trend guys say they get the fastest 0-60 times by slipping the clutch.
😬
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2020, 09:04 AM   #141
TrentMeister
Colonel
Rep
Drives: g82 comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karmic Man View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by raymix View Post
how to shift smoothly from 1-2? what rpm do you shift to get optimum transition?
At any rpm and regardless of throttle position...but make sure the shifter is touching the gate on the left while you exert pressure on the shifter from 1-2...after that it will slot in smoothly

I use to grind 2nd gears (even with clutch in) on the M2C when I drive it like other manuels but since I have found it just requires a very particular position when shifting from 1-2 then it will be smooth as butter and no gear grindings since
You launch the car in second with 4K r's and a clutch dump?
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2020, 10:16 AM   #142
ashtaron14
Major
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: G80 M3

I had a E90 Clutch Slave swapped into the M2C, and we used the vaccum method instead of the reverse bleed. It took a while because there's quite a bit of space inside the slave, but eventually the pedal came back.

I'm able to shift faster and it seems this clutch slave matches the car. Along with the autosolutions shifter with 80A bushings and an eBay clutch stop, it's now a very crisp and clear shifting action.
      04-14-2020, 10:28 AM   #143
Mr Pete
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 997 GT3 4.1, Golf R (daily)

It's not the best manual car, that's for sure. Clutch feels weird, I hate how it doesn't feel 'linear'. And engagement point is high, even with clutch stop. Shifter feels rubbery, and grinds a bit every so often. I really wish we could turn off auto rev match without turning dsc off. My previous sti was a dream to heel toe in on my way to and from work. I loved that thing, even though it was underpowered and looked like a kids car. But with the M2C, have legit back seats for my kids and good size boot.

The fact that we can still complain about the mechanical workings of manual transmission vehicle during a time when most modern cars are automatic, the positives edge out the negatives.
Appreciate 1
Moflow2484.50
      04-14-2020, 01:06 PM   #144
drledford93
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Ford Focus RS (RIP), C43 AMG

This compares to my old Focus RS' transmission nearly equal. I had an SSK and bushings in it and it was AWESOME. Felt better than the miata I had and that is saying something.

The '17 I tested had what seemed to me identical throws (LONG) to my stock RS throws. When I test drove it, I didn't realize it rev-matched and was befuddled. Once I realized that, the car was much easier to shift and control (it was ~40F and on summer rubber... )

Overall, it's up there near the top of my MT list. (E46, RS, Miata, Integra GSR, plus more to compare with.)
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2020, 12:36 AM   #145
M2PDX
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2

[QUOTE=VisualEcho;26043494]Brother, this car is a cake-walk as far as manuals go. I'm only bitching about wide throws and the 1-2 because I've had 14 manual cars in my life, so I know they could have done it a bit better. But overall it's awesomesauce

]

Get a Burger clutch stop.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2020, 02:36 AM   #146
Fined
ghost user
Rep
Drives: M2 | 997 GTS

I quite like the manual box in my OG M2. It isn't as good as my old NB Miata, but it is nice. I love a dual clutch gearbox, but I have one in my other car.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2020, 10:41 AM   #147
gphung
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 LBB - 6MT

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by VisualEcho View Post
I just wanted to update this thread with my experience now, since when I made the thread I had owned the car for just a month and 3 days, and now I've had it a little over 7 months.

Taking off is a breeze.
The 1-2 shift I get right about 85% of the time, which is fine.
The rest of the shifts are easy.
I still think the gaps between the gears, side to side, is too wide, but the throw is fine.

And I now really like the auto-rev feature.
The M2 was literally my first manual transmission vehicle. Very easy to "learn".

But since it's easy, I suspect it has taught me some bad habits that more experienced drivers (or hardcore MT "enthusiasts") would typically frown on. For example, I rely heavily on the hill assist, because why not? I suppose that means an older MT vehicle I'll probably startle myself and stall out on a steep hill. Or, with anti-stall, maybe I'm putting it into neutral much later than someone else would when approaching a stop light (I like engine braking 🤷&#127995.

So, it's rather subjective depending on how you spin it. But in terms of getting comfortable driving the car with little to no prior MT experience, I'd say it's incredibly easy.
Appreciate 2
Moflow2484.50
      04-15-2020, 11:06 AM   #148
WedgeSalad
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F87 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by gphung View Post
The M2 was literally my first manual transmission vehicle. Very easy to "learn".

But since it's easy, I suspect it has taught me some bad habits that more experienced drivers (or hardcore MT "enthusiasts") would typically frown on. For example, I rely heavily on the hill assist, because why not? I suppose that means an older MT vehicle I'll probably startle myself and stall out on a steep hill. Or, with anti-stall, maybe I'm putting it into neutral much later than someone else would when approaching a stop light (I like engine breaking 🤷&#127995.

So, it's rather subjective depending on how you spin it. But in terms of getting comfortable driving the car with little to no prior MT experience, I'd say it's incredibly easy.
Right on, thanks!
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2020, 03:30 PM   #149
panda-R
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 6MT

the only hard thing about this car is that 1-2 smooth shift, its just hard to do it without looking like a noob or slowing down a lot. other than that the 6mt on this car is pretty good. not great but good.
Appreciate 1