Extreme Powerhouse
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > S55 Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning > AA Equal Length Midpipe (stock muffler and downpipes)

06-23-2021, 10:59 AM   #133
pawelczyk7
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 bmw m2 comp 6spd

as far as the cutting to fit the MPE etc. my guy had to do some cutting etc.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2021, 02:09 PM   #134
No_curebimmer
~Spyder
Sweden
Rep
Drives: '19 M2C Hockenheim 6sp

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by R0me View Post
I run, decat, aa El resonated, and remus race axle back.

I get the same sound when in neutral and wot until 2k rpm - and it literally scares people 😆 but it also did sound raspy
as standard.
I would say that's part of the car exhaust/turbo setup, and just enjoy when its over 3k rpm.

It's opposite on the n55 it sounded deep low down, and more raspy in the top revs.
Ok…really hope this isn't the case. Listening to the OP's vids, I did not hear the same raspiness around 2k RPM as I do (same stock DPs and back box), so it seems not ever S55 F87 stock setup has this issue.

Also, I do have the valves always open (BimmerLink coded). Don't see how that could be the culprit…but I will put them back to stock (Auto mode) and test again…
      06-23-2021, 02:58 PM   #135
ESB
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2C

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_curebimmer View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedsnice View Post
Quote:
So glad that many more folks have started receiving their ELs...

First, the obligatory and well deserved shout-outs:

1. ONLYACTIVE for designing & manufacturing the EL for the F8x series. Having visited them in S. Florida a few weeks back, they are a fantastic company, truly BMW aficionados, and a top notch group of people. Thoroughly enjoyed visiting and meeting them...5 stars!!

2. @mike@x-ph.com - this is by far my favorite vendor, extremely active and supportive of the products they sells. 5 stars as well...

Now...I got my EL installed last week by my trusty indy BMW shop; most everything is stock (downpipes, and backbox/muffler), but I have used BimmerLink/BimmerCode to remove the ASD and the burbles.

Overall, I am happy with the choice...like most other users and YouTube vids, the RPMs seem to climb and sound really much cleaner, deeper and throatier sound for sure.

However, and this is a big however, I also seem to get this really bad tinny/farty/raspy quick sound (like a fast acting metallic slap) at lower RPMs, say below 3k, especially if I modulate the throttle. Forgive the crappy iPhone clip I've taken in my garage...hopefully the video exemplifies both the negative and positives. In low RPMs instances where the metallic slap occurs, the exhaust is actually much worse than stock mid-pipes, definitely a downgrade for sure. It is definitely not 100% clean-sounding on the entire RPM band...

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1XG7...ew?usp=sharing

For those of you in the know (ONLYACTIVE or Mike@x-ph might chime in if possible?) is this indicative of an exhaust leak or something mechanical like the EL mid-pipe vibrating at certain frequencies against a bracket or something?

I have the resonated equal length midpipe on my car paired to a Remus Race Axleback. I get the same metallic vibration, I have been trying to track it down with no luck.
The sound is when the car is stationary and you rev the car, as the revs drop the sound happens around 1,700 RPM.
Hey, thanks for chiming in!

I agree, the flatulence/metallic vibration I identified occurs more like 1700-2k rpm, while stationary and revving it up with the doors open (can definitely hear in on the 2nd video I posted it above).

However…I believe I can also hear it while accelerating from a red light; albeit everything seems more muted since the doors are closed and road noise.

@ESB the OP and others that received their AAEL, is this the consensus that the bad sound at low RPM is common across all ELs?

PS I definitely need a gopro outside the car to better capture the exhaust upgrade + more accurately identify the low RPMs sound issue
I think the only time I get the sound you're describing is when the pipes are cold. So basically, few minutes after a cold start.

Your cold start video sounds nothing like mine. Mine sounds worse. Are you sure it was truly a cold start? Car wasn't running for many hours?

Net-net for me I think I get nice sound (imo) even at low revs but only after the pipes have warmed up. Prior to that it does not sound good and having valves open only makes it worse. So I run valves closed for the first few minutes after a cold start.

I can try to get iPhone videos to try to compare more apples/apples.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2021, 03:07 PM   #136
No_curebimmer
~Spyder
Sweden
Rep

Garage List
Thanks OP…the start-up vid I posted yesterday was at lunch time, after the car sat for ~4 hrs.

However, at the end of the work day…here is another cold start, and the rasping sound was clearly evident at 6 seconds mark. See here

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1GRD...w?usp=drivesdk

I can't seem to always reproduce the bad sound, but this vid really shows it…
      06-23-2021, 03:35 PM   #137
ESB
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Thanks OP…the start-up vid I posted yesterday was at lunch time, after the car sat for ~4 hrs.

However, at the end of the work day…here is another cold start, and the rasping sound was clearly evident at 6 seconds mark. See here

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1GRD...w?usp=drivesdk

I can't seem to always reproduce the bad sound, but this vid really shows it…
YES that 6 second mark is exactly the sound I was expecting to hear in a cold start. It is or used to be so common for me.

Only reason I hesitate is I just made my videos and my cold start didn't have that nasty sounds @ your 6 second mark. So not sure what makes it happen vs not but I've been trained to expect it which is why I doubted you!

Anyways -- here are some clips. Draw your own conclusions. I think I now hear what you're pointing out in the "small revs cold" video but it doesn't bother me and I've never hit it in "real" situations.

And I think as the "warm" video shows, it is only temporary until pipes get warm. This is probably why I don't feel like I hit the tinny sound while doing normal driving.

Btw second two clips include both valves closed (efficient) and open (sport).

Cold start:

Small revs after cold start (cold pipes)

Small revs after ~8 mins of driving (I suspect even just 3-4 mins of driving would be enough since that is when I tend to turn on sports mode)

Appreciate 1
      06-23-2021, 03:38 PM   #138
ESB
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Also both my videos in OP were after like 2-3 hours of driving
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2021, 08:01 PM   #139
pawelczyk7
Second Lieutenant
Rep

day 2 EL and MPE ... so my 1st real oppty for cold start and slight vibration for only about 5 to 10 seconds and no issues after / driving to operating temperature. As far as the sound ,,,, it is freakin great !!!! this combo is better than i expected
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2021, 10:23 AM   #140
No_curebimmer
~Spyder
Sweden
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ESB View Post
YES that 6 second mark is exactly the sound I was expecting to hear in a cold start. It is or used to be so common for me.

Only reason I hesitate is I just made my videos and my cold start didn't have that nasty sounds @ your 6 second mark. So not sure what makes it happen vs not but I've been trained to expect it which is why I doubted you!

Anyways -- here are some clips. Draw your own conclusions. I think I now hear what you're pointing out in the "small revs cold" video but it doesn't bother me and I've never hit it in "real" situations.

And I think as the "warm" video shows, it is only temporary until pipes get warm. This is probably why I don't feel like I hit the tinny sound while doing normal driving.

Cold start:

Small revs after ~8 mins of driving (I suspect even just 3-4 mins of driving would be enough since that is when I tend to turn on sports mode)

Hey thanks for posting these...in your vids, I can somewhat hear the same 'bad tinny/freq. resonance" around 2k when engine is cold, so I guess that's the way it is (cold starts and cold engine - exhaust ain't all that, once warm and > 2k RPM, it's a definite sweeter, refined growl). This AM, I just coded the exhaust valves back to AUTO using BimmerLink (initially it was always ON). I will monitor in the upcoming days if that made any improvement on cold engine/cold starts.

FYI... as I pretty much EXCLUSEVELY drive the car in Sport+ mode, all my vids that I posted in the last few days were taken in the Sport+ mode. My normal start up sequence: start car, wait 1-2 mins, and drive off in Sport+ mode, so I think it's fair to say I'm not really in tune (see what I did there??) with how my car sounds in Efficient or Sport modes, even when I had the stock mid-pipe.

Ok...lastly. Unfortunately, I suffer from upgraditis, so I may have started a domino effect: I think the car is still quiet inside, even with the non-resonated EL midpipe. Outside, the exhaust is the bee's knees, but inside it's still too muted for my taste (and yes, I have the AD coded off). I am in Texas with temps well over 105, so driving with the windows open isn't an option during the summers.

I am not looking to spend 2-3 mortgage payments (like the MPE or the Akra typically demand) on a muffler job, so what is the most recommended and somewhat cost efficient backbox/muffler pairing with the non-resonated AA EL to increase the exhaust note inside the cabin? Remus Race, Remus Sport, Dinan, AA Valved?
      06-24-2021, 01:51 PM   #141
echoshotz
Private
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

Quote:
so what is the most recommended and somewhat cost efficient backbox/muffler pairing with the non-resonated AA EL to increase the exhaust note inside the cabin? Remus Race, Remus Sport, Dinan, AA Valved?
It sounds like they're all great options with remus race being a louder/somewhat raw sound, and the sport being more dialed back, and from videos the AA sitting in the middle. I have the Aa valved on order (which is supposed to be in stock and shipping) to match with currently installed nonres EL, but I've had silence for two weeks from them/xph on when it'll ship.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2021, 02:34 PM   #142
Nicname
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2C

Quote:
Quote:

Cold start:

Hey thanks for posting these...in your vids, I can somewhat hear the same 'bad tinny/freq. resonance" around 2k when engine is cold, so I guess that's the way it is (cold starts and cold engine - exhaust ain't all that, once warm and > 2k RPM, it's a definite sweeter, refined growl). This AM, I just coded the exhaust valves back to AUTO using BimmerLink (initially it was always ON). I will monitor in the upcoming days if that made any improvement on cold engine/cold starts.

FYI... as I pretty much EXCLUSEVELY drive the car in Sport+ mode, all my vids that I posted in the last few days were taken in the Sport+ mode. My normal start up sequence: start car, wait 1-2 mins, and drive off in Sport+ mode, so I think it's fair to say I'm not really in tune (see what I did there??) with how my car sounds in Efficient or Sport modes, even when I had the stock mid-pipe.

Ok...lastly. Unfortunately, I suffer from upgraditis, so I may have started a domino effect: I think the car is still quiet inside, even with the non-resonated EL midpipe. Outside, the exhaust is the bee's knees, but inside it's still too muted for my taste (and yes, I have the AD coded off). I am in Texas with temps well over 105, so driving with the windows open isn't an option during the summers.

I am not looking to spend 2-3 mortgage payments (like the MPE or the Akra typically demand) on a muffler job, so what is the most recommended and somewhat cost efficient backbox/muffler pairing with the non-resonated AA EL to increase the exhaust note inside the cabin? Remus Race, Remus Sport, Dinan, AA Valved?
I heard that bimmerlink's option to leave exhaust flaps on only lasts for a bit before reverting back. Was this your experience?
997.1 Turbo
///M3 E92
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2021, 06:25 PM   #143
No_curebimmer
~Spyder
Sweden
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicname View Post
I heard that bimmerlink's option to leave exhaust flaps on only lasts for a bit before reverting back. Was this your experience?
Within a few weeks of getting my car last year, I used BimmerLInk to code out the burbles and force open the exhaust flaps. I DEFINELY can confirm that the burbles are saved to the DME, but I really can't comment re: flaps, as I can't really distinguish between the valve modes BimmerLInk offers (ON, OFF or AUTO). Currently I reverted to Auto, which I think it's the OEM mode.
      06-24-2021, 10:27 PM   #144
ESB
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Within a few weeks of getting my car last year, I used BimmerLInk to code out the burbles and force open the exhaust flaps. I DEFINELY can confirm that the burbles are saved to the DME, but I really can't comment re: flaps, as I can't really distinguish between the valve modes BimmerLInk offers (ON, OFF or AUTO). Currently I reverted to Auto, which I think it's the OEM mode.
I guess easiest way to test is to set to On and then after car restart / few days try flooring it in Efficient and see if it sounds loud. Since OEM/Auto has valves closed in Efficient all the time.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2021, 10:54 PM   #145
No_curebimmer
~Spyder
Sweden
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I guess easiest way to test is to set to On and then after car restart / few days try flooring it in Efficient and see if it sounds loud. Since OEM/Auto has valves closed in Efficient all the time.
Got it - so the flaps only impact the efficient mode. Well, no wonder why I couldn't see/hear a difference- I never drive my M2C in efficient nor sport modes - solely Sport +, which apparently keeps the valves open all the time.
      06-24-2021, 10:56 PM   #146
ESB
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Got it - so the flaps only impact the efficient mode. Well, no wonder why I couldn't see/hear a difference- I never drive my M2C in efficient nor sport modes - solely Sport +, which apparently keeps the valves open all the time.
Supposedly OEM/AUTO also keep flaps closed in sports modes under 3k rpm.

But I've found that hard to confirm. When revving in neutral it's certainly not true.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2021, 10:26 AM   #147
sai_dee
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: crapmobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by pawelczyk7 View Post
day 2 EL and MPE ... so my 1st real oppty for cold start and slight vibration for only about 5 to 10 seconds and no issues after / driving to operating temperature. As far as the sound ,,,, it is freakin great !!!! this combo is better than i expected
Please post video!
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2021, 12:42 PM   #148
No_curebimmer
~Spyder
Sweden
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I think the only time I get the sound you're describing is when the pipes are cold.
Honing in on this comment as this hasn't been my use case: I actually get the bad tinny vibration noise I reported regardless if the pipes are cold or not. After, say about 1 hr of driving, I can still get this noise while modulating the throttle while at stop sign (in first gear, clutch pressed) or driving into the garage (usually happens around 2k RPM).

Would love to get ONLYACTIVE or Mike@X-PH feedback on this. I am totally fine in having this bad noise only at start-up or for the first few mins while the car is warming up...but not my case. Sure, my car sounds bad-a$$ past 3k RPM, but unfortunately I would still need to wound up the engine to get to the good sounding part. Could this be bad install, exhaust leak, or some mechanical vibration?

as to why, once engine/pipes are all warm, I can't get a clean consistent exhaust note across the entire RPM band. Wasn't AA EL midpipe supposed to address this?

Last edited by No_curebimmer; 06-25-2021 at 01:35 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2021, 09:46 PM   #149
pawelczyk7
Second Lieutenant
Rep

[/URL][/URL]

A couple 5k pull vids and one inside the cabin vid. EL midpipe and MPE with stock downpipes. Over the next week or so, will look to find some open road and gets some vids revving the car out a bit.
check replies for 2 other vids.
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2021, 09:49 PM   #150
pawelczyk7
Second Lieutenant
Rep

here is the 2nd vid; 5K pull

Appreciate 0
      06-26-2021, 09:50 PM   #151
pawelczyk7
Second Lieutenant
Rep

here is the 3rd vid

Appreciate 0
      06-27-2021, 02:37 AM   #152
Nareck @ FGP
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2021 LBB M2C

Quote:
Sounds great
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2021, 07:50 AM   #153
sai_dee
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: crapmobile

Quote:
Sounds incredible, MPE will be my choice if the stock exhaust isn't enough.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2021, 09:11 AM   #154
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Quote:
Honing in on this comment as this hasn't been my use case: I actually get the bad tinny vibration noise I reported regardless if the pipes are cold or not. After, say about 1 hr of driving, I can still get this noise while modulating the throttle while at stop sign (in first gear, clutch pressed) or driving into the garage (usually happens around 2k RPM).

Would love to get ONLYACTIVE or Mike@X-PH feedback on this. I am totally fine in having this bad noise only at start-up or for the first few mins while the car is warming up...but not my case. Sure, my car sounds bad-a$$ past 3k RPM, but unfortunately I would still need to wound up the engine to get to the good sounding part. Could this be bad install, exhaust leak, or some mechanical vibration?

as to why, once engine/pipes are all warm, I can't get a clean consistent exhaust note across the entire RPM band. Wasn't AA EL midpipe supposed to address this?

Vibration or drone is caused by a bad install. The equal length has minimum clearance, the install has to be perfect for it not to drone.

i ran into the same issue on my own car and had to reinstall it to get rid of the vibration

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0