BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > S55 Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning > How to disable burbles?

08-25-2020, 08:07 PM   #133
Gizmo 335i
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2C BSM, 6MT

I’ll chime in with regard to the altered timing. Some are starting from the premise that the burbles are a natural result of BMW’s ignition timing designed for performance, reliability, anti-lag, etc. I disagree with that premise. I believe that BMW altered the timing from what would otherwise be considered optimal solely to produce the burbles due to market demand. Therefore’ I argue that the altered ignition timing to produce burbles comes at the expense of overall efficiency and performance.

In support, look back in time to old car carbureted engines with mechanical ignition systems. The bangs and burbles let you know that your ratty old Maverick needed a tune up and timing adjusted. If it ran without burbles you had a good tune and were maximizing gas mileage, performance, and smoothness.

I’d rather have the car with optimal ignition timing no what era or how it is achieved. Just my .02 adjusted for inflation since my dad’s ratty old Maverick graced the driveway.

Last edited by Gizmo 335i; 08-26-2020 at 08:08 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2020, 05:05 AM   #134
Poochie
Luxury at the redline :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by CKr View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlbombs View Post
Is this still in beta? Can the developer the developer tell you what is happening on the back end when this is enabled/disabled?
I asked if he could explain the purpose of this function:

Quote:
Does BMW have any documentation or explain the purpose of this diagnostic mode [service function]?
Quote:
Hi,
I can not tell why this service function has been implemented, sorry.
Thanks for the information, to me, it's a heaven sent feature, I absolutely hate pops & burbles, to the point where my cheap ass is even willing to splurge $32, to get the APP, just for that privilege of killing it.

I hate to impose but is anyone willing to check to see if disabling the burbles triggers any error within the ISTA's control unit tree - i.e. shadow codes..

Disabling the ASD has been known to be a byproduct of this...

Thanx in advance..
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2020, 07:26 AM   #135
No_curebimmer
~Spyder
Sweden
Rep
Drives: '19 M2C Hockenheim 6sp

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poochie View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Is this still in beta? Can the developer the developer tell you what is happening on the back end when this is enabled/disabled?

Quote:
Does BMW have any documentation or explain the purpose of this diagnostic mode [service function]?
Quote:
Hi,
Thanks for the information, to me, it's a heaven sent feature, I absolutely hate pops & burbles, to the point where my cheap ass is even willing to splurge $32, to get the APP, just for that privilege of killing it.

I hate to impose but is anyone willing to check to see if disabling the burbles triggers any error within the ISTA's control unit tree - i.e. shadow codes..

Thanx in advance..
@Poochie sure, I can do that, just send me details on how to instructions and will report back.

I presume I'll use the Veepeak dongle + BimmerLink app and look for any error codes?
      08-26-2020, 07:49 AM   #136
Poochie
Luxury at the redline :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by No_curebimmer View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Quote:
Hi,

Thanx in advance..
@Poochie sure, I can do that, just send me details on how to instructions and will report back.

I presume I'll use the Veepeak dongle + BimmerLink app and look for any error codes?
I never actually used Bimmerlink to fish for codes but I assume if it has the ability to read the all the control modules, then it should work the same as ISTA for diagnosing.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2020, 09:46 AM   #137
No_curebimmer
~Spyder
Sweden
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I never actually used Bimmerlink to fish for codes but I assume if it has the ability to read the all the control modules, then it should work the same as ISTA for diagnosing.
WilCo. BimmerLink has a couple of menu options whereby the user can scan (and clear) ECU error codes, either dormant/from past or currently active.

I'll check later today and report my findings.
Appreciate 1
Poochie9107.50
      08-26-2020, 01:18 PM   #138
No_curebimmer
~Spyder
Sweden
Rep

Garage List
So I messed about BimmerLink and Veepeak BLE dongles- attached a few screenshots for traceability.

Side note A: I bought the car pre-owned with about 3400 miles (now I'm close to 4300 miles - it's NOT my DD and 1/2 the time I work remotely) so unsure if the previous owner did anything to the car.

Side note B: earlier in Aug, I also turned on a few BimmerCode features, but decided to turn everything OFF.

Question: I believe the way to turn everything to stock/OFF in BimmerCode is to go through each module and select the oldest backup available...which is what I did. Is that correct? I wish BimmerCode app had a 'default' mode that will turn everything to stock mode...as it stands its UX (user experience) and GUI (graphical user interface) are more convoluted that they need to be.

Any-who, BimmerLink Scanning Features are as follows:
1. Error memory
2. Info memory
3. Permanent memory

My results:
- zero (0) PERMANENT MEMORY errors,
- 2 from ERROR MEMORY front electronic module (D90D37)+ Central Gateway module (CD0487)
- 27 from INFO MEMORY (see this link for the error log https://drive.google.com/file/d/1fLb...ew?usp=sharing).

Does anyone know if these codes are indicative of major issues? I plan on taking the car to the dealer in a few months...not sure if these will flag my car?

Regardless, Stephan @ BimmerLink provides 100% solid support and is always helpful, so I also reached out to him to see if those codes are anything to worry about.

Cheers and Be Well everyone!
Attached Images

Last edited by No_curebimmer; 08-26-2020 at 01:30 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2020, 05:04 PM   #139
No_curebimmer
~Spyder
Sweden
Rep

Garage List
Another week using the BimmerLink's Sound Tuning feature in OFF position...no issues to report. Simply works as designed

I love how my bimmer now sounds. Risking to repeat myself, it keeps reminding me of my old 6 speed E46 330ci: clean sounding, w/ deep(ish) guttural overtones, truly sounds like the BMW engines of old, N/A not turbocharged (unless I push it if course, the turbos do spool up nicely closer to redline).

I like it so much, I am trying to talk myself out of upgrading to a Dinan exhaust that I've been eye-balling...

PS the only other feature I've also engaged: turned the exhaust flaps to always ON, but I kept the ASD ON. I can't complain...as I don't miss the immature (to me) burbles.
      08-31-2020, 05:08 PM   #140
No_curebimmer
~Spyder
Sweden
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
So I messed about BimmerLink and Veepeak BLE dongles- attached a few screenshots for traceability.

[COLOR="DarkRed"]Side note A:[/COLOR] I bought the car pre-owned with about 3400 miles (now I'm close to 4300 miles - it's NOT my DD and 1/2 the time I work remotely) so unsure if the previous owner did anything to the car.

[COLOR="darkred"]Side note B:[/COLOR] earlier in Aug, I also turned on a few BimmerCode features, but decided to turn everything OFF.

Question: I believe the way to turn everything to stock/OFF in BimmerCode is to go through each module and select the oldest backup available...which is what I did. Is that correct? I wish BimmerCode app had a 'default' mode that will turn everything to stock mode...as it stands its UX (user experience) and GUI (graphical user interface) are more convoluted that they need to be.

Any-who, BimmerLink Scanning Features are as follows:
1. Error memory
2. Info memory
3. Permanent memory

My results:
- zero (0) PERMANENT MEMORY errors,
- 2 from ERROR MEMORY front electronic module (D90D37)+ Central Gateway module (CD0487)
- 27 from INFO MEMORY (see this link for the error log https://drive.google.com/file/d/1fLbdIVU8xQ4Mxpg1GP0TKWq7gJrua4vR/view?usp=sharing).

Does anyone know if these codes are indicative of major issues? I plan on taking the car to the dealer in a few months...not sure if these will flag my car?

Regardless, Stephan @ BimmerLink provides 100% solid support and is always helpful, so I also reached out to him to see if those codes are anything to worry about.

Cheers and Be Well everyone!
PSA - I checked with Stephan: apparently the info memory codes that I received when I scanned my car last week, don't mean much.

All cars seem to have some info memory errors, despite not being tuned or being messed about with their DMEs (I'm not tuned in any way, I coded out the darn burbles).
      09-04-2020, 10:12 AM   #141
m20e3087
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G87

Garage List
2019 BMW M2C  [0.00]
Turned mine off two days back with BM3, its a absolute pleasure to hear the actual sound. A d I have my ASD off as well. I love deep loud exhaust but after my neighbor fitted MP to his M4C, I got sick of hearing the dam burble lol. Also bunch of kids around my area have the burble turned up on their cars so there was another reason I had to turn mine off. Before this I had it set to low setting via BM3 but now it's completely off. Will be going with the AA EQ when they are ready. Hopefully that will take help with the rasp noise.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2020, 01:04 PM   #142
No_curebimmer
~Spyder
Sweden
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by m20e3087 View Post
Turned mine off two days back with BM3, its a absolute pleasure to hear the actual sound. A d I have my ASD off as well. I love deep loud exhaust but after my neighbor fitted MP to his M4C, I got sick of hearing the dam burble lol. Also bunch of kids around my area have the burble turned up on their cars so there was another reason I had to turn mine off. Before this I had it set to low setting via BM3 but now it's completely off. Will be going with the AA EQ when they are ready. Hopefully that will take help with the rasp noise.
I hear you...I'm contemplating either the

1. Dinan exhaust + x pipe
2. Or the equal length AA midpipe (I suspect it'll be about 1/2 the price of Dinan)

...and with the immature burbles turned off, either option should sound amazing!

The only decision is: save some gold coins by going the EL AA midpipe route (and keep the cow udder) or Dinan exhaust (not quite full exhaust replacement as Dinan isn't going all the way to downpipes).
      09-04-2020, 01:19 PM   #143
m20e3087
Major
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
2019 BMW M2C  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:

2. Or the equal length AA midpipe (I suspect it'll be about 1/2 the price of Dinan)

...and with the immature burbles turned off, either option should sound amazing!

The only decision is: save some gold coins by going the EL AA midpipe route (and keep the cow udder) or Dinan exhaust (not quite full exhaust replacement as Dinan isn't going all the way to downpipes).
I am running catless DP as well. So will be going with the res version of the EQ. As far as cow in the rear, just paint it black and problem solved lol. Not planing on switching out the box anytime soon, so the paint did it for me.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2020, 01:27 PM   #144
No_curebimmer
~Spyder
Sweden
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I am running catless DP as well. So will be going with the res version of the EQ. As far as cow in the rear, just paint it black and problem solved lol.
Yeah - cheers for that. Painting the stock muffler will be the cheapest route to eliminate the ghastly cow udder look. Waiting for cooler days to arrive and might scope that myself...

PS will either EL AA midpipe or the Dinan exhaust interfere with emissions checks or give a CEL light?
      09-04-2020, 01:30 PM   #145
m20e3087
Major
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
2019 BMW M2C  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I am running catless DP as well. So will be going with the res version of the EQ. As far as cow in the rear, just paint it black and problem solved lol.
Yeah - cheers for that. Painting the stock muffler will be the cheapest route to eliminate the ghastly cow udder look. Waiting for cooler days to arrive and might scope that myself...

PS will either EL AA midpipe or the Dinan exhaust interfere with emissions checks or give a CEL light?
No CEL with mid pipe or any back box. But with DP you will get CEL. But if your not planing on tuning I would keep stock DP.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2020, 02:38 PM   #146
No_curebimmer
~Spyder
Sweden
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
No CEL with mid pipe or any back box. But with DP you will get CEL. But if your not planing on tuning I would keep stock DP.
Tack så mycket...no tuning for me, so will keep it as is. Stock power is plenty for me...no (extra) driving awards for this guy!

I've met my share of Trafik Polis
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2020, 09:33 PM   #147
TUNEDM3
Stay Ripping
Rep
Drives: 1M

Has the bimmerlink app been updated to turn burbles off yet?
      09-05-2020, 07:33 AM   #148
JustinHEMI
Not great. Not terrible
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW X3 M40i

No
      09-07-2020, 05:46 AM   #149
JustinHEMI
Not great. Not terrible
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW X3 M40i

Just had a small bimmerlink update for Android..., ran down to check for burble removal..., not yet.
      09-07-2020, 02:38 PM   #150
JKr.
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2C

Reverse bimmercode mods before using bimmerlink?

I’m considering using bimmerlink to get rid of the burbles. Do I need to reverse the mods I made with bimmercode before using bimmerlink?
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2020, 11:49 AM   #151
No_curebimmer
~Spyder
Sweden
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by JKr. View Post
I’m considering using bimmerlink to get rid of the burbles. Do I need to reverse the mods I made with bimmercode before using bimmerlink?
Negative: BimmerLink primarily deals with real-time Sensor Values, Exhaust Flap, Battery Registration, and soon Sound Tuning (burbles). BLink is a sensor app, while the BCode allows you to 'code' or turn on hidden features.

Can't use one to undo features set by the other.

Last edited by No_curebimmer; 09-09-2020 at 12:00 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2020, 10:23 AM   #152
JKr.
Registered
Rep

Thanks, but what I was asking was, can I use both Bimmerlink and Bimmercode on the same car? I.e. I’ve already coded out ASD with Bimmercode. Can I now use Bimmerlink to remove burbles?
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2020, 10:33 AM   #153
CKr
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 1998 E36 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKr. View Post
Thanks, but what I was asking was, can I use both Bimmerlink and Bimmercode on the same car? I.e. I’ve already coded out ASD with Bimmercode. Can I now use Bimmerlink to remove burbles?
Yes, you can. I've used both on my car without issue.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2020, 12:35 PM   #154
JKr.
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Yes, you can. I've used both on my car without issue.
Thanks. Now just need to wait for it to be out of beta.
Appreciate 0