BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Discussions > The Weight

01-13-2016, 01:56 PM   #133
sth519
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M135i → M2 → i4

Quote:
Originally Posted by dammitcubs View Post
Is it fair to say that if you are okay with weight on the M235i, you should be okay with the M2?
Nobody here has driven the M2 yet but my guess would be that the weight difference (the M2 is slightly heavier) is the last thing you'll notice between the two cars.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2016, 02:11 PM   #134
ASAP
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 X3 M40i

I really want to like this car because I think the price of the car is very fair and I think the looks of the car are outstanding but...

There are a few things that truly throw me off-

1) Weight - Its almost as heavy as the far larger M3.
2) No usage of CF bits on exterior
3) Interior isn't really any better than M235i... I mean they couldnt have even used slightly higher quality leather or at least the gloss CF trim like an M3 does over a regular 3.
4) And the biggest one of all - The N55 motor... no matter how you slice this, its still an N55... the tuning capability isn't close to any of the other BMW turbo 6 motors on the stock turbo. This car will be maxed under 400 WHP on the stock turbo, maybe a tad over on e85... a stock S55 in the m3 makes 420 WHP... lol

I dont' really care about the mirrors or the M buttons or even the tranny shift speed or the adap susp... but the above items that I named simply needed to be better and they aren't.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2016, 03:26 PM   #135
tdizzle
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 F80 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASAP View Post
I really want to like this car because I think the price of the car is very fair and I think the looks of the car are outstanding but...

4) And the biggest one of all - The N55 motor... no matter how you slice this, its still an N55... the tuning capability isn't close to any of the other BMW turbo 6 motors on the stock turbo. This car will be maxed under 400 WHP on the stock turbo, maybe a tad over on e85... a stock S55 in the m3 makes 420 WHP... lol
Not sure why they didn't put in the new engine in the 340 (B whatever) and tune that as it seems to put out quite a bit more power than the N55 stock.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2016, 04:56 PM   #136
Squddie
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E89 Z4

Justified or not, the weight of the M2, and the entire 2-series, is a major disappointment. And yes I think the major contributor is cost savings from not using advanced materials.

The situation is a bit better for the convertible since the 4-series drags the hardtop around. But alas a M2 isn't even announced.

Then there is the issue that the M4 can be ordered in individual colors and with individual leather and has a better Harman Kardon sound system. Lots of nice bits from the 4-series never made it to the 2-series. Which IMHO isn't OK if the weight stays the same.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2016, 05:43 PM   #137
crqflier
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '07 335i, '95 M3 (gone)

I wonder if the quoted weights are for "base" cars across each model (m2, m3, m4, m235i). If so, now that we know the M2 base is fairly loaded, seems like it's an apples to oranges comparison. I'd guess identical equipment would produce a great weight difference. With that said, I suppose you can compare stripped m3 vs basically loaded m2 if you want.
      01-14-2016, 05:48 PM   #138
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

Quote:

3) Interior isn't really any better than M235i... I mean they couldnt have even used slightly higher quality leather or at least the gloss CF trim like an M3 does over a regular 3.

I dont' really care about the mirrors or the M buttons or even the tranny shift speed or the adap susp... but the above items that I named simply needed to be better and they aren't.

1) - Agree
2) - good thing no one told you to expect this
3) - see above- ALSO see - 1M vs 135
4) - if the turbo isn't different- See above if the turbo is different.. BMW just sank your whiny tuning battleship

I guess you can't live with a " puny" 400 whp..

Since most of your complaints were already anticpated/expected.. and now are confirmed.. . looks like it's officially time to F$*k off and buy an M3/M4
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2016, 05:52 PM   #139
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdizzle View Post
Not sure why they didn't put in the new engine in the 340 (B whatever) and tune that as it seems to put out quite a bit more power than the N55 stock.
how about.. Reliability from a known powerplant. ? ....
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2016, 06:03 PM   #140
pup73
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW M2

Quote:

So basically, you wanted BMW to release a faster, lighter, more powerful car than the M3/4, but at the M2 price point....

ok..

-c
2005 Honda S2000-mostly stock
1994 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo-barely stock
Appreciate 1
      01-14-2016, 06:21 PM   #141
ASAP
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Adjuster View Post
1) - Agree
4) - if the turbo isn't different- See above if the turbo is different.. BMW just sank your whiny tuning battleship

Since most of your complaints were already anticpated/expected.. and now are confirmed.. . looks like it's officially time to F$*k off and buy an M3/M4
The turbo is identical... when an OEM manufacturer swaps a turbo setup it is then designated with a different motor name.

Also, those are very strong words from a BMW CCA Chapter President...
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2016, 06:23 PM   #142
ASAP
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pup73 View Post
So basically, you wanted BMW to release a faster, lighter, more powerful car than the M3/4, but at the M2 price point....

ok..

-c
Uh no, I was asking for a car that is 50lbs lighter than the current one with a different motor or one that could make at least another 20-30 hp stock. The difference back in the 1M days was the stock turbo N54 could make far more power tuned than an M3... clearly the same distal proximity is not in the same universe this time around. Oh and well the fact that it was a car that only 740 people could have.

Everything else would have been an added bonus... albeit the price is good for this car but imho not good enough to negate the 11k difference between an m3 that comes with so much more.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2016, 07:58 AM   #143
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASAP
Quote:
1) - Agree

The turbo is identical... when an OEM manufacturer swaps a turbo setup it is then designated with a different motor name.

When a turbo is swapped, the motor is given a new name..... You mean a name like N55B30TO?
Appreciate 1
      01-15-2016, 08:05 AM   #144
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by pup73 View Post

ok..

-c
Uh no, I was asking for a car that is 50lbs lighter than the current one with a different motor or one that could make at least another 20-30 hp stock. The difference back in the 1M days was the stock turbo N54 could make far more power tuned than an M3... clearly the same distal proximity is not in the same universe this time around. Oh and well the fact that it was a car that only 740 people could have.

Everything else would have been an added bonus... albeit the price is good for this car but imho not good enough to negate the 11k difference between an m3 that comes with so much more.
Exactly why I said you need to get an M4.

Quit complaining about the M2 and go get an M4 or go and find a 1M used and buy now !

I have no idea why you are fascinated with the fact that the 1M with a turbo could be TUNED to a level higher than the naturally aspirated E9X M3.

Of course it happened, but now You act like that was by design and supposed to happen with the current models ?

Now that both the M2 and M4 are turbo motors why the hell would anyone think that a motor in the M2 that could/should be tuned to be more than the stock M4? Why is that factor of any importance ??

Here is what BMW AG Is saying to you ...

" If you want M4 power then get an M4 instead of a hoping for a M2 with a 1k tune."

It sounds like you already feel that in your assessment of value, the M4 is the better vehicle. I GA-Ron- Tee you that BMW AG is smiling right now because they would RATHER that you f*#k off and buy an M4.

They will have that M4 in stock for you.
They will let you order it individual.
They will have an M3 ready to.
There will be discounts available on the M4
There will be a better lease rate on the M4

Why? Because ( on average ) BMW will make more profit on every M4 sold than they will for each M2 sold.

In manufacturing, The delivered cost of an item continues to drop as more of that item is produced. When you look at 3/4 series production which is clearly a factor of ten higher than 2 series production, one easily begins to see where the money is made.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2016, 08:27 AM   #145
W///
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: F82GTS, E36/E92M3, Z4M

Quote:

What's the point of comparing a 1M and it's tuneability vs a high strung normally aspirated V8?

Personally, if I did get an M2, or M3, I really really have 0 interested in upping in either of them. They're borderline useless for everyday driving as is.

And I have to ask. Can you even feel 50 lbs? I certainly can't.
07 E85 Z4M Roadster, Alpine White/Red, 6MT
99 E36 M3, Techno Violet/Dove Grey, 6MT
Appreciate 1
      01-15-2016, 08:34 AM   #146
ASAP
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Adjuster
Quote:
Quote:
1) - Agree

When a turbo is swapped, the motor is given a new name..... You mean a name like N55B30TO?
The 1M's turbo was also far different than the n54 135i's, it also got that designation
      01-15-2016, 08:35 AM   #147
ASAP
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by W///
Quote:

What's the point of comparing a 1M and it's tuneability vs a high strung normally aspirated V8?

Personally, if I did get an M2, or M3, I really really have 0 interested in upping in either of them. They're borderline useless for everyday driving as is.

While I completely understand this, the mistake was made last time around... I think people as a whole had slightly higher expectations for this car, but we havent seen it perform yet, so I cant speak.
      01-15-2016, 08:42 AM   #148
dmk08
Gone Fishin’
United_States
Rep
Drives: Walks

Quote:

I've already been wondering how hard it will be to swap an S55 into an M2...
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2016, 11:13 AM   #149
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmk08 View Post
I've already been wondering how hard it will be to swap an S55 into an M2...
probably much easier than swapping a V8 into a 1M.. (hehehe... yes... please hack up an M2.... )

it's settled.. @ASAP needs to buy an M2 and then drop an S55 into it.. I approve this message!
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2016, 12:35 PM   #150
Bluex
Useful Idiot
United_States
Rep
Drives: My wife and kids insane.

Garage List
2015 BMW F80 M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by W/// View Post
If she's laying next to (or on) you in bed, I bet you sure as hell can tell the difference between 120lbs and 170lbs

You can feel it!

My European Delivery Thread
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2016, 12:53 PM   #151
filet.M2c
Captain
Rep
Drives: M2c / mach e

Quote:
Originally Posted by W/// View Post

I agree that anything over 300 whp can't really be opened up on the street, but hopefully people who are buying an M car will also hit the track where 400 whp can definitely be utilized. If not, then why even buy an M car? For the image? People who do not care about power and track performance should just buy the xy35i. Also, modding my cars has always been enjoyable and I don't plan on stopping with the M2
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2016, 12:59 PM   #152
W///
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: F82GTS, E36/E92M3, Z4M

Quote:
Originally Posted by synergist View Post
I agree that anything over 300 whp can't really be opened up on the street, but hopefully people who are buying an M car will also hit the track where 400 whp can definitely be utilized. If not, then why even buy an M car? For the image? People who do not care about power and track performance should just buy the xy35i. Also, modding my cars has always been enjoyable and I don't plan on stopping with the M2
Oh don't get me wrong, I like a fast car as much as the next person. I also love modding them, that's definitely a passion of mine.

But on the track, I had my stage 2 tuned E92 M3 which is not THAT crazy considering you got Z06s and Vipers with much more power than that these days. Not once did I think, man I need more power. As a matter of fact, I think my E36 M3 with its lowly 240 hp might have been even more fun at the track

Let's put it this way, I'm nowhere near of a good enough driver to take 100% advantage of these new turbo cars anyway. Plus my cars spend 99% of the time on the street. But I completely see your point of course
07 E85 Z4M Roadster, Alpine White/Red, 6MT
99 E36 M3, Techno Violet/Dove Grey, 6MT
Appreciate 2
      01-15-2016, 01:22 PM   #153
hans007
Major
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdizzle View Post
because its a new engine and M needs time to figure it out.

the S54 in the e46 m3 and various other cars was based off the older m50 not the m52 that was in the normal E46 cars. M tunes and engine in the end, and they want something they already know the limits of
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2016, 02:18 PM   #154
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by W///
Quote:
Originally Posted by synergist View Post
Oh don't get me wrong, I like a fast car as much as the next person. I also love modding them, that's definitely a passion of mine.

But on the track, I had my stage 2 tuned E92 M3 which is not THAT crazy considering you got Z06s and Vipers with much more power than that these days. Not once did I think, man I need more power. As a matter of fact, I think my E36 M3 with its lowly 240 hp might have been even more fun at the track

Let's put it this way, I'm nowhere near of a good enough driver to take 100% advantage of these new turbo cars anyway. Plus my cars spend 99% of the time on the street. But I completely see your point of course
Agree here. I autocross and track my car very often and "moar powah" is not needed here either.

Agree with you on getting the most out of a 240 hp E36.
Appreciate 1