BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > M2 Photos, Videos and Builds > XCAR - 2016 BMW M2: All The Details And Engine Noise

12-11-2015, 10:00 PM   #111
filet.M2c
Captain
Rep
Drives: M2c / mach e

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmboone25 View Post
My guess would be no.
Well, I hope you're right. If the M2 is given a more capable turbo then it would no doubt be my next purchase.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2015, 08:15 PM   #112
den525
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by sahyoun View Post
How is it an upgraded N55? they dont share any major internal components. Yeah I assumed they're the same block since I highly doubt a cost-cutting company like bmw would create two seperate blocks that share the same bore, stroke, compression ratio, pistons, rods, aluminum alloy, and closed deck design. There would be no point to create another closed deck I6. The "Forged steel crank" was also in an n54, it may not have been the same exact crank. This new "N55" shares a lot more parts and design methods with the s55 than with the old N55. They did this with the N63 and S63, they share the same block, crank, pistons, and rods down to the part number. BMW isn't gonna spend the extra $$$ to make another closed deck block that uses the same internals as the m4, its cheaper to just rename the S55 block as an n55. There would be no point to create another closed deck block for a car that has a limited production run when they already have the b58 on the way.
Your interpretation of "major internal components" differs to what it really is. I think you're misinterpreting quite a few things.

1. no it's NOT the same block, google pics of the engine bay, it looks completely different. It's already mentioned the closed case deck is different.

2. Again, only Forges crankshaft, crankshaft bearings, pistons and sparkplugs. You do know what those are right?

Crankshaft can be the same size, just forged or cast. Bearings, pistons and sparkplugs are just a small components. Any current N55 engines can put the "S55 sparkplugs" in. I'd assuming crankshaft bearings and pistons would be the same size, most likely just forged to improve stability and performance of the component.

So once again, no it's a completely different engine.

Ps. Now turbo is a major component, components to run a twin turbo vs a single twin scroll turbo ALONE, would require many different major engine components.

Haven't even got to the different radiators, different cooling system, different FMIC, different intake etc. etc.

Last edited by den525; 12-13-2015 at 08:30 PM..
Appreciate 1
      12-13-2015, 08:21 PM   #113
den525
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sahyoun View Post
Yeah, I understand that. My point is this motor shares a small fraction of its parts with the N55 and a hell of a lot more with the S55. My point is that this motor is a lot more of an s55 than an n55. Im willing to bet that the s55 and this n55 will share the same block part numbers. The m2 engine is a completely separate engine from the old n55. I dont understand the point of an engine code if two engines under the same engine code dont share any internals including the block, which has usually delegated BMW's engine codes in the past.
I'm sorry but it doesn't take a genius to just LOOK at the engine itself. Once again it's a COMPLETELY DIFFERENT BLOCK!
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2015, 10:10 PM   #114
Asbjorn
Captain
China
Rep
Drives: Z4 N54 DCT (VTT GC lites)

Quote:
Originally Posted by den525 View Post
Your interpretation of "major internal components" differs to what it really is. I think you're misinterpreting quite a few things.

1. no it's NOT the same block, google pics of the engine bay, it looks completely different. It's already mentioned the closed case deck is different.

2. Again, only Forges crankshaft, crankshaft bearings, pistons and sparkplugs. You do know what those are right?

Crankshaft can be the same size, just forged or cast. Bearings, pistons and sparkplugs are just a small components. Any current N55 engines can put the "S55 sparkplugs" in. I'd assuming crankshaft bearings and pistons would be the same size, most likely just forged to improve stability and performance of the component.

Ps. Now turbo is a major component, components to run a twin turbo vs a single twin scroll turbo ALONE, would require many different major engine components.

Haven't even got to the different radiators, different cooling system, different FMIC, different intake etc. etc.
You probably already know, but the crankshaft is already forged in the M135i/M235i version of the N55. Not sure what else is similar.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2015, 10:50 PM   #115
den525
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asbjorn View Post
You probably already know, but the crankshaft is already forged in the M135i/M235i version of the N55. Not sure what else is similar.
Yes, that is correct.

In terms of what else is similar? The M2 engine is 95% the same as the M235i.

From what I've read, the pistons is actually the same as the standard N55 except for the top ring, and S55 spark plugs, which anyone can just switch. Basically, from the look of things, it's just stability and reliability reinforcement for a higher standard N55 tune.

As a few 2ers have switched to the S55 spark plugs after stage 1 tune, which is producing more power than the M2.

At the end of the day, M2 is all about handling.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2015, 06:38 AM   #116
PrematureApex
Colonel
Rep
Drives: N55 X1, N54 135, s54 m3

Edit, looks like I was incorrect...
'08 N54 535xi touring (Bilstein B6s, Downpipes, MHD tune, baby seat)
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2015, 05:12 PM   #117
N54B30A
Captain
Lebanon
Rep
Drives: 2021 HS M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by den525 View Post

Haha this is quite comical, you said the engines must be different cause they look different? Find me one picture of the closed deck block in the "N55" in the m2 to compare to the s55 block, since as far as im concerned the only block details are that its a 2 peice, I6, aluminum alloy, closed deck block, with twin wire arc spray, the same bore, same stroke and compression as the n54, s55, and the traditional n55. So why the hell would bmw need to make ANOTHER closed deck block out of the same material, the same dimensions, and using the same internals. No company would do that, its unnecessary spending. They reusing the block and rotating assembly between the m5 and 550, both cars with a much higher budget than an m2.

As for the "Major different engine components" for a single turbo vs twin turbo setup. There are no modifications that need to be done to actual engine components (Head, cams, valvetrain, rods, pistons, crankshaft) just because one has one turbo and the other has another. When it comes to differentiating engines especially in terms of engine code designation, the engines internals are what define it not what cooling system is bolted up, or what turbo/turbos are bolted up, but the actual internals. So go ahead and make yourself a chart with a column for the tradtional n55 (not the one in the m2) and the s55 and write down what engine internal components are shared under the respective column. The m2 doesnt even have cast in iron sleeves like the n55 in the 35i's
Appreciate 1
      12-28-2015, 04:14 AM   #118
ORIGIN M.
Banned
Rep
Drives: ///M

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoenixWolf
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt1camaro View Post
Is it just me or does it sound like a regular N55, nothing really special to differentiate it.

Nope, its not just you. In this video it sounds just like my 235i. Disappointed a little but it still sounds better than the M4 so an exhaust will be one of the first upgrades for most people I would assume.
You are correct sounds much better than the M4.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2015, 02:37 AM   #119
Inverted
Private
Rep
Drives: Fast ones

First thing I did when I heard that vid was email Akrapovic. The U.K. Agent told me they will have an exhaust available from April/May. So should be the same everywhere.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2015, 03:03 AM   #120
ORIGIN M.
Banned
Rep
Drives: ///M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inverted
First thing I did when I heard that vid was email Akrapovic. The U.K. Agent told me they will have an exhaust available from April/May. So should be the same everywhere.
The best or nothing.
Appreciate 1
      12-30-2015, 05:28 PM   #121
MR.
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 CSL Turbomeister

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inverted View Post
Did they mention to you what kind of exhaust?

MR
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2015, 08:27 AM   #122
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2C - BMW X1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inverted View Post
Forum fellow Alden_88M contacted the Swedish Akrapovič agent last Summer. Here's his comment of Oct 15, 2015:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alden_88M View Post
Actually I was in contact with akrapovic like 3-4 months ago and got a reply from them saying this. So there is probably a system being developed for the M2 and to be released not too long after the first ones starting to roll of the productions band.
«Hello and thank you for your interest in Akrapovic !
As the Swedish agent for Akrapovic automotive systems, we received your request for this system. When the development time of each system is very long, there is a limited capacity how many new versions to be developed every year. From a BMW perspective we work at present with X5M system and then takes priority on the new M2, as in the current situation there are no plans to release something to the M235i in 2015. If this were to change, we will feed back to you with information.»
Does he have any update ?