BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Nitron elec-TRON

03-26-2024, 06:38 PM   #89
medphysdave
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 CS | 85 of 592

This video tells me that the prices will be going up in the next few years. Great video and a testament to the quality from a person that services the high end market.

https://youtu.be/RXl_v4Y9quk?si=pSj-wHaNhDl2TGru
      03-30-2024, 12:44 PM   #90
medphysdave
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

OG Shark Any eTrons make there way onto the CS?
      04-01-2024, 09:58 AM   #91
OG Shark
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by medphysdave View Post
OG Shark Any eTrons make there way onto the CS?
Not yet but in the queue. Going to be taking the car with us and displaying it with the suspension at Mpact @ COTA 6/1 so going on soon and hope to have all of our testing done by then.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2024, 10:35 AM   #92
medphysdave
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by OG Shark View Post
Not yet but in the queue. Going to be taking the car with us and displaying it with the suspension at Mpact @ COTA 6/1 so going on soon and hope to have all of our testing done by then.
That's fantastic. You planning to test and tune both R1 and R3?
      04-01-2024, 10:57 AM   #93
OG Shark
Rep

Quote:
That's fantastic. You planning to test and tune both R1 and R3?
R3 first this time and then should be able to more quickly transition to the R1. I personally want the R3 so I'm being a little selfish this time too
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2024, 12:09 PM   #94
medphysdave
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
R3 first this time and then should be able to more quickly transition to the R1. I personally want the R3 so I'm being a little selfish this time too
I have a feeling I'm going to want the R3. I love the idea of saving money (R1) But when chasing what I'm after I think the R3 will give it the edge.
Plus, with you doing all the hard work,I only have to turn the knobs a couple times.

I'll get remote reservoirs to make sure those knob turns are easy

Are you going to have axle lift on display at Mpact? Make sure you get plenty of video!
      04-01-2024, 08:35 PM   #95
medphysdave
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Are you going to continue with a divorced setup on the CS?
      Today, 10:05 AM   #96
OG Shark
Rep

Bit of an update - we are in testing mode still but wanted to give some feedback on the stock setup. Our R3 setup is going on the CS so we do have the "pinnacle" of the F87 to compare against. As many know this particular test mule came to us as a 26 original mile unmolested beauty. We had to spend a decent amount of time knocking out miles just to get through break in (first time can say that about a 4 year old car ). After this was accomplished we went out to COTA to benchmark the performance aspect. At that point and combined with previous CS experience I feel like we had a pretty good understanding of the characteristics of the oem CS setup.

Ride manners/quality - the CS is an improvement over the previous two iterations. It still suffers from the same issues but to a noticeably lesser degree. It still relies on the dampers to control body roll too much thus creating the harsh/crashy feeling in high speed dampening events that we all know and love. This has been cleaned up a bit though with the CS but still definitely occurs over bumps & such. My comp Schnucki that is currently sporting a one of our traditional R3 kits but with 1000/900 lbs (rear coilover) springs to support the aero is more composed over these high speed event for comparison purposes. So there is certainly room for improvement still and again our focus first will be on the high speed.

Performance - again the CS is an improvement on paper but still leaves quite a bit to be desired when pushed. The body roll is still significant as expected although a bit more composed towards the limit vs the previous trims. It actually felt more progressive than the other two which I attribute to the changes in dampening characteristics vs the other two (I was not a fan of this either). In the end though it still suffers from the same fatal flaws as the comp & OG. It is absolutely a very quick car but still very much limited from being undersprung and then relying on the dampers too much to compensate. Quite a bit of potential here to be realized with a better setup.

Again this is just baseline observations before we started testing and not a CS/C/OG comparison. Just wanted to give a bit of background to show what we started with. More soon!
Appreciate 2
gnx759.50
      Today, 10:09 AM   #97
medphysdave
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Now that I'm buying a set of Nitrons I'm kinda glad there is significant improvement to be had here :P
      Today, 10:14 AM   #98
OG Shark
Rep

Quote:
Now that I'm buying a set of Nitrons I'm kinda glad there is significant improvement to be had here :P
Man you're fast on the responses!

There is for sure. In street manners not quite as much as the comp due to the changes in the CS but still a significant amount to be had there. Performance even though the CS is a bit better I feel just as much room for improvement to be had.

On the other thread - the questions you asked - do not fret about those. I will go into more detail late but these will not be areas of concern/issue.
Appreciate 0
      Today, 10:16 AM   #99
medphysdave
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Man you're fast on the responses!

There is for sure. In street manners not quite as much as the comp due to the changes in the CS but still a significant amount to be had there. Performance even though the CS is a bit better I feel just as much room for improvement to be had.

On the other thread - the questions you asked - do not fret about those. I will go into more detail late but these will not be areas of concern/issue.
It's clear that I can not contain my excitement
      Today, 10:21 AM   #100
OG Shark
Rep

Quote:
It's clear that I can not contain my excitement
Ha yeah it is. I believe it to be warranted though ...
Appreciate 0
      Today, 10:31 AM   #101
M3R1
Colonel
Rep
Drives: ///M2cs

Quote:
Ha yeah it is. I believe it to be warranted though ...
Do you have a target date that you are trying to hit? Also, I will be interested in the more street only kits. Will these be released at approximately the same time, or is the R3 the only one being worked on at the moment?
      Today, 10:47 AM   #102
OG Shark
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3R1 View Post
Do you have a target date that you are trying to hit? Also, I will be interested in the more street only kits. Will these be released at approximately the same time, or is the R3 the only one being worked on at the moment?
No set date but trying to get them set up as quick as possible. Can't really set a date since we are not exactly sure how many revisions we will end up with before we are completely satisfied with our kit. We are trying to work through as quick as we can though.

When you same the street only kits - do you mean the Roadsport kits or a more road prioritized version of the electron R3?
Appreciate 0
      Today, 11:17 AM   #103
M3R1
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
No set date but trying to get them set up as quick as possible. Can't really set a date since we are not exactly sure how many revisions we will end up with before we are completely satisfied with our kit. We are trying to work through as quick as we can though.

When you same the street only kits - do you mean the Roadsport kits or a more road prioritized version of the electron R3?
The Roadsport kit was the most appealing to me. My car is a street only car, No track time for the foreseeable future.

I was looking for a more controlled (less busy) as well as complaint ride.
      Today, 01:56 PM   #104
OG Shark
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3R1 View Post
The Roadsport kit was the most appealing to me. My car is a street only car, No track time for the foreseeable future.

I was looking for a more controlled (less busy) as well as complaint ride.
Agree you would likely be more happy with the roadsport kit. For all we will do with the etron R3 we will still be on stiffer springs and that can be hard to overcome for some. There is an etron roadsport kit too by the way
Appreciate 0
      Today, 02:12 PM   #105
M3R1
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Agree you would likely be more happy with the roadsport kit. For all we will do with the etron R3 we will still be on stiffer springs and that can be hard to overcome for some. There is an etron roadsport kit too by the way