BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Discussions > Tons of Random People Asking me how much the M2 costs...Rude?

Closed Thread

06-03-2016, 10:25 AM   #89
DKX4///M
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X4M CS

Garage List
2020 BMW X4M CS  [0.00]
2016 BMW M2  [0.00]
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
Now Im a liar? What am I lying about?

Want my Drivers License?A picture of my biggest paycheck? LOL

Im not butthurt. I talk a lot obviously n ramble. I also dont let ppl say false things and get away with it.

Bottom line have been on M3post for years. Privately bought sold tons of stuff...gave things away. Ask the member on here I gave brand new black grills i paid 200 for , for 50 bucks when i oulda returneed them..

Never had a flame war. N if I did ALL members stopped t immedately...This is like a honda forum. Why? IDK maybe your new to car forums..Maybe its a younger crowd? Who knows?

.I have extra 650 /f mirror caps i was gonna sell for 100 bucks but im gonna give them to one of the 3 anonymous ppl that PM'd saying to stay and that you guys are basically assholes and not to leave...want proof of that too?

Good riddance.
      06-03-2016, 11:55 AM   #90
ashburyn54
Captain
Rep
Drives: f87 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Msmall143
i'm curious how you identified these "lower income people"...I work from home and am in gym shorts and a t shirt 90% of the time...havent shaved in 3 weeks. i'm 32 years old and am easily in top 5% of household incomes...not that im rich or anything but certainly not low income...you couldnt tell from just looking at me. shit...the other day a neighbor asked me if i was a stay at home husband because i'm home during the day a lot. point is, its hard to tell someones earnings based of off appearance. There are plenty of people with big homes and nice cars that are highly financially leveraged and tons of people with small homes and shitty cars that have large bank account balances. Was it ok if a rich person asks thats wearing a suit but not ok if a not so fortunate but aspiring person asks? We all made $0 a year at some point...maybe it gives that person a goal to achieve.

I also ask "what do these start at?" all the time. I feel like it isnt a big secret and isnt a big deal. i wouldnt ever ask "what was your W2". I also get asked what my bikes cost ( i have a harley and a s1000rr) and havent ever taken offense or even thought twice about the motive of the question.

you my friend have a bad attitude. if you post something like you did you should be prepared for some back lash.
Fellow remote worker that likes to work looking like a scrub. It's amazing this wealth conversation even exists.

All of our perspectives are warped. A lot of people playing white knight in here. If you make more than 30k a year your in the top 1% of the WORLD.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2016, 12:01 PM   #91
firestarter2
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: NA

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashburyn54 View Post
Fellow remote worker that likes to work looking like a scrub. It's amazing this wealth conversation even exists.

All of our perspectives are warped. A lot of people playing white knight in here. If you make more than 30k a year your in the top 1% of the WORLD.
I work from home 4 days a week .. Its a gift and a curse. I look homeless except for client meetings
Appreciate 1
      06-03-2016, 12:16 PM   #92
Big Tuna
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Yes

Are you wearing a t-shirt that says "Ask me how much this car costs?"
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2016, 12:18 PM   #93
ashburyn54
Captain
Rep
Drives: f87 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by firestarter2
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashburyn54 View Post

I work from home 4 days a week .. Its a gift and a curse. I look homeless except for client meetings
Haha me too! It's almost harder. No one is around to push you. It's great though
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2016, 12:32 PM   #94
Big Tuna
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKM3Power View Post
"hey, how much did it cost?"
My ego def gets uncomfortable but I personally get insulted. Especially when compliments are replaced with Ive been seeing these in magazines and Im thinking about getting one (another common theme Ive been hearing on a reg basis)
If you get particularly insulted when they would dare to suggest they too could afford one, then yes, its too cheap for the image you're trying to cultivate.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2016, 12:40 PM   #95
atxsk8r
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by firestarter2 View Post
I work from home 4 days a week .. Its a gift and a curse
LOL it is a curse! You end up looking like Costanza and rockin the sweatpants. I'm guilty of it but never wear sweatpants in public
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2016, 07:36 PM   #96
ric124
Colonel
Jamaica
Rep
Drives: F87 M2 BSM MT

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by F87LUV View Post
That's probably because we bought cheap M cars unlike those M3 folks. We're definitely subpar.
I think OP answered himself here. He fines it annoying of people asking how much the car cost because him within himself think the car is cheap and hence think that what people are thinking when they ask how much.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2016, 09:39 PM   #97
BK
Smiling politely
United_States
Rep
Drives: 330i

Garage List
2006 330i  [9.00]
Wow, this is a crazy thread. But I'll cast my vote: not a rude question, just one asked out of genuine curiosity.

Also - yes, I think they are asking because they think it is a cool car but might be in a price range they could afford. On the other hand, they see it's a BMW, so they figure it might be more. This makes them curious, so they ask. Tell them. It's not crazy cheap and it's not crazy expensive, it's just... normal. You'll just get a "huh" in reply. Saying something like "I prefer not to disclose" would be a bizarre way to answer IMO.

Variance probably has heard his share of this question about his Elise. Pretty sure there was a thread like this on the LotusTalk forums a few years ago. People asking the question about the Lotus assume they're going to hear some astronomical figure and then are surprised at how reasonable it is.

No car enthusiast asks this, BTW. We all already know the answer. This is the curious general public thinking you have a cool car -- and you do have a cool car! Indulge them, smile, and move on.
      06-03-2016, 10:01 PM   #98
Msmall143
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M4, BMW S1000RR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Msmall143 View Post
i'm curious how you identified these "lower income people"...I work from home and am in gym shorts and a t shirt 90% of the time...havent shaved in 3 weeks. i'm 32 years old and am easily in top 5% of household incomes in us...not that im rich or anything but certainly far from low income...you couldnt tell from just looking at me. shit...the other day a neighbor asked me if i was a stay at home husband because i'm home during the day a lot. point is, its hard to tell someones earnings based of off appearance. There are plenty of people with big homes and nice cars that are highly financially leveraged and tons of people with small homes and shitty cars that have large bank account balances. Was it ok if a rich person asks thats wearing a suit but not ok if a not so fortunate but aspiring person asks? We all made $0 a year at some point...maybe it gives that person a goal to achieve.

I also ask "what do these start at?" all the time. I feel like it isnt a big secret and isnt a big deal. i wouldnt ever ask "what was your W2". I also get asked what my bikes cost ( i have a harley and a s1000rr) and havent ever taken offense or even thought twice about the motive of the question.

you my friend have a bad attitude. if you post something like you did you should be prepared for some back lash.
Update....still haven't shaved.

Last edited by Msmall143; 06-03-2016 at 10:21 PM..
Appreciate 1
      06-04-2016, 12:08 AM   #99
DKX4///M
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X4M CS

Garage List
2020 BMW X4M CS  [0.00]
2016 BMW M2  [0.00]
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
Update ...Thread is dead and a reminder this is a car forum...Thanks for letting me know you haven't shaved though. No one cares, but cool story.
later bro.