BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Discussions > Would you trade your M2 for a M4??

01-25-2017, 09:47 AM   #67
krizze
Lieutenant
Czech_Republic
Rep
Drives: 718 GT4 -Skoda Octavia VRS

Quote:
Originally Posted by imyourmaster View Post
Can we get Euro spec M2s in the USA?
don't think so, as far as i know you would have to convert it to US Spec.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2017, 09:52 AM   #68
imyourmaster
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2C

Garage List
2021 BMW M2C  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Die ///M Rakete View Post
Quote:
There is a HUGE difference in money factor and ROI between buying and leasing. You are getting zero return on a lease.
Everything about that statement is incorrect. Alternative facts ?
So work with me here and help me break this down... hypothetically, let's say we lease a $57k 2017 M2 for 3 years. Can we do the numbers vs buying and owning it for 3 years?
This could be quite an exercise and we would need to factor taxes, money down, rates etc. for both scenarios and then "guess" what the bought M2 can be sold for after three years. So how much was cost of leasing vs cost of owning over the 3 years?
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2017, 09:57 AM   #69
Destroya
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 X2 M35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arizona_Steve View Post
Mrs. has an M4. I'll be getting my M2 this week hopefully. I'll report my findings later.
Wonder if there will be a fight for the car keys each morning?
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2017, 10:19 AM   #70
Die ///M Rakete
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 F80 ZCP 6MT

Quote:
So work with me here and help me break this down... hypothetically, let's say we lease a $57k 2017 M2 for 3 years. Can we do the numbers vs buying and owning it for 3 years?
This could be quite an exercise and we would need to factor taxes, money down, rates etc. for both scenarios and then "guess" what the bought M2 can be sold for after three years. So how much was cost of leasing vs cost of owning over the 3 years?
Well, first off the money factor is credit dependent not model dependent so I assume you meant to say that there is a huge difference in residual value between the M4 and the M2 which there is (58% vs 46% base residual).

In your M2 financing scenario, with all factors such as price, credit and down payment being equal, the payments on typical financing terms are virtually identical at just over the $1000 mark both for a 3 year lease or a 5 year purchase. That number can vary from state to state but it varies equally between lease and purchase.

At the 3 year mark you will probably break even on trade value at best on the purchase and break even by design on the lease, so neither has the advantage financially.

Of course, this isn't to say that there are no scenarios where either the lease or the purchase benefits outweigh the other, but on the M2 they are currently pretty evenly matched. No coincidence, I'm sure

Last edited by Die ///M Rakete; 01-25-2017 at 11:37 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2017, 10:20 AM   #71
doug_999
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2011 1M/2021 992/2023 X3

Quote:
Mrs. has an M4. I'll be getting my M2 this week hopefully. I'll report my findings later.
Steve, you know your car fell in the Ocean right? I can't believe the VPC did not tell you...

Quote:
No, Artemis is just rubbing it in our face - he likes to do that
Appreciate 1
      01-25-2017, 10:24 AM   #72
imyourmaster
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2021 BMW M2C  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by doug_999 View Post
Quote:
Steve, you know your car fell in the Ocean right? I can't believe the VPC did not tell you...

Quote:

Yeah I figured... my question in response was rhetorical
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2017, 10:56 AM   #73
Arizona_Steve
Driving 'Mr Car Car'
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 AW BMW M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Destroya View Post
Wonder if there will be a fight for the car keys each morning?
She works from home. I can pick and choose
      01-25-2017, 10:58 AM   #74
Arizona_Steve
Driving 'Mr Car Car'
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 AW BMW M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by doug_999 View Post

Dang... thought I'd be getting my first look at it today. I heard they fished it out though and the only issue was a flat tire.

Edit: Visited the dealership and they were removing the last traces of seaweed from the engine bay (not to mention the dead fish they pulled out of the air filter).

Last edited by Arizona_Steve; 01-25-2017 at 06:40 PM.. Reason: It arrived!
Appreciate 1
      01-25-2017, 01:03 PM   #75
Transfer
Major General
Rep
Drives: Bronco Wildtrak, Tesla MYP

Quote:
If horsepower is what you're after...Dinan M2 big turbo at 446 hp vs Dinan M4 at 530 hp.

Regardless, my M2 is stock. I had a stock M3 sit on me like flies on a pile of s*** the other day.... I HATED it!!
If you bought the M2 for speed and HP, you bought the wrong car.
Appreciate 2
omasou2093.00
      01-25-2017, 01:13 PM   #76
imyourmaster
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2021 BMW M2C  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Transfer View Post
Quote:
If horsepower is what you're after...Dinan M2 big turbo at 446 hp vs Dinan M4 at 530 hp.

Regardless, my M2 is stock. I had a stock M3 sit on me like flies on a pile of s*** the other day.... I HATED it!!
If you bought the M2 for speed and HP, you bought the wrong car.
I bought it to have fun with and to use as a DD. Not for track purposes. I work from home so I don't drive that much on a daily basis. At the end of the day, the question I ask myself is "Did it put a smile on my face?" The long and short of it is that pretty much any M car does! There are no losers.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2017, 01:21 PM   #77
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Adjuster View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2M View Post
No way. Im sure that most of us already considered the M4 and chose the M2. You wasted your time starting this thread. Im sure that price was not a factor for the majority on here.
I wasted my time? Each to their own and everyone is entitled to their own opinion....but not their own unsupported facts. Look, anyone who can afford an M4 can afford the M2 but I'm not so sure the opposite is true. A 2017 M4 will demand roughly $20k more and for some (yes not all) but for some that is a deal breaker.
It's only a " deal breaker " at MSRP.

Anyone that can BUY an M2 can affford to LEASE an M3/M4.
There is a HUGE difference in money factor and ROI between buying and leasing. You are getting zero return on a lease.

I didn't have return on investment as part of my calculations. And for good reason.

You indicated that in your opinion some buyers may not be able to afford an M4/M3 vs an M2. I disagree.

In the US, MSRP for an M2 is 52k and an M3 at 65k is about 13 grand. Using 5 year loan rates at around 1.99 percent .. with all things being equal , that's a difference of about $120 a month. That's not like it's some huge gap in price differential. Now if you are in Australia and it's 130k vs 180k price that's a difference.

The simple fact is the 65k base price of an M3 is very negotiable whereas the 52k price of an M2 is not.

Factor in lease rates and a buyer can easily be styling and profiling In an M3/M4 for less than an M2. You pretty much can't lease an M2 for less than an M3/M4 actually therefore the only option is to buy the M2.

If you want a more posh interior then buy an M4/M3. If you want to win drag race honors get an M4/M3. If you want to bench race over S designations. If you want a big car to impress your date or your neighbors get the M3/M4.

If you want a fun, nimble , compact, sports car keep the M2.
Appreciate 2
Destroya371.00
kezm231.00
      01-25-2017, 01:26 PM   #78
gthal
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i xDrive

I owned an M4 for 2 years. I've owned an M2 since last June.

I like the M2 and wouldn't go back today. The M2 is more fun, sounds better and feels more nimble to me. I like its size too. I just enjoy driving the M2 more on the street than I did the M4. That's subjective and, to be honest, I'm not sure why but I really do enjoy how it feels, sounds and behaves more than I did my M4.

Loved my M4 but I don't see me buying another one soon (although I'm known to change my mind). If I change my car in a year or two, it will be for a VW Golf R (daily) and a Corvette Grand Sport for the weekend.
2015 M4 | Austin Yellow | DCT
2012 MB C63AMG | 2011 E92 M3 | 2010 E92 M3
Appreciate 2
      01-25-2017, 01:30 PM   #79
imyourmaster
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2021 BMW M2C  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2M View Post
No way. Im sure that most of us already considered the M4 and chose the M2. You wasted your time starting this thread. Im sure that price was not a factor for the majority on here.
I wasted my time? Each to their own and everyone is entitled to their own opinion....but not their own unsupported facts. Look, anyone who can afford an M4 can afford the M2 but I'm not so sure the opposite is true. A 2017 M4 will demand roughly $20k more and for some (yes not all) but for some that is a deal breaker.
It's only a " deal breaker " at MSRP.

Anyone that can BUY an M2 can affford to LEASE an M3/M4.
I didn't have return on investment as part of my calculations. You indicated that in your opinion some buyers may not be able to afford an M4/M3 vs an M2. I disagree.

In the US, MSRP for an M2 is 52k and an M3 at 65k is about 13 grand. Using 5 year loan rates at around 1.99 percent .. with all things being equal , that's a difference of about $120 a month. That's not like it's some huge gap in price differential. Now if you are in Australia and it's 130k vs 180k price that's a difference.

The simple fact is the 65k base price of an M3 is very negotiable whereas the 52k price of an M2 is not.

Factor in lease rates and a buyer can easily be styling and profiling in an M3/M4 for less than an M2.

If you want a more posh interior then buy an M4/M3. If you want to win drag race honors get an M4/M3. If you want to bench race over S designations. If you want a big car to impress your date or your neighbors get the M3/M4.

If you want a fun, nimble , compact sports car get the M2.
I live in a neighborhood where my house and my cars are the modest compared to the neighbor's... believe me, $250k cars are a dime a dozen around here. I am not trying to impress anyone. When I posted this question on both M2 and M3/M4 thread it was purely to see what each of the respective owners liked, or in some cases disliked, about their vehicles.

As for horsepower and speed and getting into that "debate", we all agree we like and enjoy that we get a measure of that with our M vehicles. If it wasn't important, a "nice-to-have" or enjoyable, we'd be driving a Spark or Yaris.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2017, 01:36 PM   #80
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep

Since you aren't trying to impress anyone.. leave comments like this in the hopper..

Quote:
I Look, anyone who can afford an M4 can afford the M2 but I'm not so sure the opposite is true. A 2017 M4 will demand roughly $20k more and for some (yes not all) but for some that is a deal breaker.
Again... I say.. the price difference Is not a dealbreaker for anyone really. An M4 will have a 20K higher PRICE TAG.. but it will not DEMAND 20K higher in sale price because dealers will discount the M3 and M4 whereas they will NOT discount the M2

Quote:
why don't you run your numbers and get back to us? or.. check the lease thread and look at the MF and the residuals for the M2.. it will take you all of 10 seconds to figure out that it's pretty silly to lease an M2.. period.. Even if you've got free money.

Last edited by M3 Adjuster; 01-25-2017 at 01:47 PM..
Appreciate 2
quikM2372.00
atxsk8r1571.00
      01-25-2017, 01:54 PM   #81
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep

Quote:
no. you cannot.

you could perhaps find a used M2 from Canada.. I believe they have the moonroof option in Canada . You would not be able to by the vehicle new however... because there are restrictions on Canadian dealers selling new cars across the border to US citizens
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2017, 02:02 PM   #82
laurenxesq
Banned
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 & P car

NO WAY!
I traded my 2015 M4 for a 2017 M2.
M4=boat
M2=rocket

just my two cents...
Appreciate 3
atxsk8r1571.00
gthal1905.00
      01-25-2017, 02:24 PM   #83
Aloha Joe
Hanapaa!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 6mt, LBB

Quote:
why don't you run your numbers and get back to us? or.. check the lease thread and look at the MF and the residuals for the M2.. it will take you all of 10 seconds to figure out that it's pretty silly to lease an M2.. period.. Even if you've got free money.
I agree Adjuster. Everyone should run their own numbers, and while I agree for the vast majority on here, that a purchase vs a lease is better.

My unique situation as a business owner, who will purchase the M2 at the end of the lease. Plus the way my contracts are set up through 2020, makes the lease option, even with the low residual, perfect for me.
Appreciate 1
      01-25-2017, 02:24 PM   #84
imyourmaster
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2021 BMW M2C  [0.00]
Quote:
Since you aren't trying to impress anyone.. leave comments like this in the hopper..

Quote:
I Look, anyone who can afford an M4 can afford the M2 but I'm not so sure the opposite is true. A 2017 M4 will demand roughly $20k more and for some (yes not all) but for some that is a deal breaker.
Again... I say.. the price difference Is not a dealbreaker for anyone really. An M4 will have a 20K higher PRICE TAG.. but it will not DEMAND 20K higher in sale price because dealers will discount the M3 and M4 whereas they will NOT discount the M2

Quote:
Did a bug crawl up your ass today or are you always this unforgiving by nature? What's your problem with me asking a fellow member to help run the numbers. I never claimed I knew and I sure as hell am not too proud to ask. I realize you have been a member and part of this community for much longer than I have... hence the "get back to us"? Who are "us"?

My comment on the affordability of an M2 vs M4 meant nothing more than the simple reality. An M4 costs more than an M2. Argue that all you want. Show me ANY dealer discounting a 2017 M3/4 to get even close to a $57k 2017 M2.

Like you, I drive the M2 and I'm very happy with it. I guess thats where the similarity ends but I wish you will prove me wrong.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2017, 02:32 PM   #85
CommitConfirm
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: The Bus

Garage List
No
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2017, 02:35 PM   #86
jaykoolzboy
Private
Rep
Drives: 2003 996 GT2

Just my 2 cents. (my current stable contains F87 M2, E46 M3, 987 Boxster S)

Would I trade up M2 for a M4 straight up brand new? Of course I will, there is a reason why m4 is 12k more MSRP wise.

Would I buy a M4 over M2 stragith up? Not even close, I will buy M2 over M4 10 out 10 times if it's my pocket money.

Would I lease a M2 over M4? No, M4 is much of a bargain to lease compare to current situation with M2.

last but not least, would you trade up a brand new M2 for a modified (most likely abused in many ways) M4? If I were you , I will avoid that at any cost.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2017, 02:37 PM   #87
TXSurfer
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i E92

I'll probably trade for an M4 once my balls start to sag from age and I need more interior cushioning to avoid smashing them while seated.
      01-25-2017, 02:41 PM   #88
imyourmaster
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2021 BMW M2C  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXSurfer View Post
I'll probably trade for an M4 once my balls start to sag from age and I need more interior cushioning to avoid smashing them while seated. ?
I can appreciate the humor. Although I must say I see a lot of young guys in their 20's and 30's driving M4s
Appreciate 0